Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

how do i fit into the culture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

umm... maybe stop hitting the bong?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gotta join the cult

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

hmm, but i like to smoke weed

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

hmm, but i like to smoke weed

you'll need to find a pot friendly job then

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oracle hit me up for a job, we went four interviews deep and they just went radio silent. then they bugged me about another job, I interviewed for that and it went well. they scheduled another interview 16 days out and 12 hours later emailed me "can you do this today?"

I decided that Oracle was not a good cultural fit for Jonny 290 LLC.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

BONGHITZ posted:

i think you have to have lots of sex with random people and then live on a spaceship with a funy name

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

good choice

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Gland some fail aids my man

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

Gland some fail aids my man

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

oracle hit me up for a job, we went four interviews deep and they just went radio silent. then they bugged me about another job, I interviewed for that and it went well. they scheduled another interview 16 days out and 12 hours later emailed me "can you do this today?"

had I made this kind of decision for current job I would have missed a huge opportunity because the HR system is way out of whack with the rest of the company but this sure as heck makes sense for the poo poo show that is Oracle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That wouldn't have even happened if i wouldn't have sent a followup after the first four weeks. I did my due diligence. They treated me like garbage and poo poo-tested me. I'll eat a poo poo appetizer, but i can't choke down six courses.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Oracle is good. I love you, Larry.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oracle is terrible to work at. but having said that, recruiting is a screwed up mess at every company that's more than 50 people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
moto hosed the dog about 10 times less imo. anyways lets talk about good times that we had being rejected for jobs! i got turned down twice for my current company, once because idk they just didnt want me yet, another because a recruiter called and i'd talked direct on the first time so they had to hang up

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

oracle is terrible to work at.

why

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I would eat Larry's hot dog, if you catch my drift.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

I don't know, that's just what I hear from people I know there. it's just a massive bureaucracy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

I don't know, that's just what I hear from people I know there. it's just a massive bureaucracy

sounds like a great place to collect a fat paycheck without doing any actual work

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ok realtalk i worked at oracle for 3 years (not anymore)

its bad, but also good. yes its a horrible kafkaesque bureaucracy. BUT. the expectations are so incredibly low it's essentially the easiest paycheck ever. they encourage working from home too. in fact for a 4 month period after my department was merged with another i literally did nothing. my manager only instant messaged me 4 times during that time.. and then i got placed under another manager and was given a better title. lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sucks too bad their recruiters are garbage cocksuckers, sounds like it coulda worked out

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cool oracle perks: everyone gets an amex. managers love expensing food and alcohol. they have free sodas. free cellphone w/ a new phone every year. cubicles have herman miller mirra 2s. unlimited sick days. they paid for your internet (they took that away though)

oracle cons: inescapable existential dread

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Citizen Tayne posted:

I would eat Larry's hot dog, if you catch my drift.

because you want to be fired from his bad company and eating the boss' lunch is a good way to do that, i assume

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

in fact for a 4 month period after my department was merged with another i literally did nothing.

living the dream

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeh thx uncle larry :cheers:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

BONGHITZ posted:

dont wear a tie to your interview

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i don't use drugs but found myself not a good cultural fit for a company that pushed me really hard to take a drug test before i had accepted their offer

also it was way out in the suburbs and f that

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

have you tried being more white and/or growing a penis op

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Penguissimo posted:

have you tried being more white and/or growing a penis op

being younger too

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

pram posted:

oracle cons: inescapable existential dread
are there places that do not have this con?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

minivanmegafun posted:

i don't use drugs but found myself not a good cultural fit for a company that pushed me really hard to take a drug test before i had accepted their offer

drug tests are for blue collar idiots that operate heavy machinery. companies that drug test their white collar computer touchers are signaling that they don't give a poo poo their employees and you should avoid at all costs.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Leck posted:

are there places that do not have this con?

yes but it's called being the founder and it's just replaced with full throttle wide eyed obvious catastrophic dread

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

drug tests are for blue collar idiots that operate heavy machinery. companies that drug test their white collar computer touchers are signaling that they don't give a poo poo their employees and you should avoid at all costs.

eh that was literally every job I've had. one of the places was an actual medical lab that did drug testing too so that might have just been synergy or perhaps a paradigm

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

BONGHITZ posted:

you should start by grokking the zeitgeist imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

jony ive aces posted:

you should start by grokking the zeitgeist imo

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
programming/engineering jobs should be drug tested more regularly than most real jobs because the "work" is soul-crushing and tedious and it's natural to seek escape

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
counterpoint: programming/engineering jobs should be drug tested less regularly than most real jobs because the "work" is soul-crushing and tedious and it's natural to seek escape

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
programmers and engineers don't deserve joy in their lives

besides, drugs and alcohol are a scourge and the shame of a nation

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

hey op ur culture is showin, might want to tone it down a little okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
were you wearing the correct uniform OP?

• Locked thread