Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hopefully Gawker will find someone in the jury they can out as being gay, it's the best way they deal with things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Can't wait to hear about gawker editors trying to get jobs at other sites. "So, can you please tell us a time you outed a closeted individual and regretted it?"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Wait, that's why they published it??? If I'm on the hook for everything I say when I'm loving then I am in some deep, deep poo poo.

But the "he said friend of the family" part only came out last year- because that's when WWE suddenly scrubbed Hogan's name from everything. They published it in 2013?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Remember when Gawker/Jezebel went full court press on the awful nature of the college greek system because of that Rolling Stone article, then didn't bother to retract a single thing when Rolling Stone had to admit they couldn't actually verify any of the story?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Florida, eh? Hulk really unleashed the thunder in paradise.

Somebody tell me you got this joke.

I did, and I appreciate you :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Any particuarly good examples? I just wanna see all the garbage sites try to justify what Gawker did.

I don't think a lot of other sites will have any sympathy for Gawker, since one of Gawker's more favorite pastimes was to post insider dirt on other new media outlets like Vice, Buzzfeed, etc. A year ago (?) they outed a random executive of Conde Nast because he worked for the wrong media company, and when Gawker's business side yanked the article their editors bitched endlessly about how it infringed on them as a news outlet.

Gawker is trash and I hope many of their writers are more jobless than usual for a long time.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Al Cowens posted:

Remember when Gawker surreptitiously tricked Coca-Cola's twitter bot into tweeting entire sections of Mein Kampf in preparation for a hit piece tarring and feathering a Jewish-run corp as anti-semitic?

I remember.

Remember when they set up an extravagant ruse to trick Trump into re-tweeting a benign and mostly forgettable Musolinni quote?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

the greek system is still terrible dude.

They gave you the word dude though.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Bacon Hat posted:

i really like jalopnik and and it kills my appreciation boner whenever anything outside of the automotive sphere leaks in from the rest of the network

While Kotaku and io9 are generally terrible, they're usually beginly so, and I wish those writers the best of luck in finding jobs at Polygon or other nerd media sites.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Does this mean there won't be 500 days of Kristen?

500 Days of Kristen seemed like the weirdest loving idea. I mean, was it really just posting inane poo poo about Kristen Cavallari every day?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

none of gawker's blogs are covering this story for some reason

The top comment on this article is pretty funny

http://gawker.com/footage-shows-moment-plane-crashes-in-russia-killing-a-1765865456

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

argondamn posted:

Gawker has been jobbing during this trial but they're totally gonna totally no-sell it during the appeal.

If they're expecting Hogan to put them over in the rematch then lol

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pr8S44o6N4&feature=youtu.be&t=261

Oh my god... here's the lawyer grilling AJ about his quip about the 4 year old celebrity sex tape :magical:

This is a serious pro-click.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

je1 healthcare posted:

Is this the thread for Gawker's greatest hits?

Bringing me back to good times here :)

Jordan Sargent is human trash.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

it doesn't matter whether it gets overturned or not, gawker still has to pay the $115 million before they take further action due to florida law. so they may not even make it to the end of an appeal. good riddance to poo poo

I think the amount they have to put up is capped at $50M, but still good luck on that.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

i remember when gawker laid off a bunch of people while their newly unionized workers weren't working with a contract. i'm sure Hamilton Nolan is busy talking about how everyone else has the worst labor practices in the world though

Strange, I don't remember Gawker reporting on this?!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

The only site of theirs I'm legit sad to see go out of business is Jalopnik, if only because I too want to see more boxy wagons with manual transmissions, available in any color you want so long as it's brown.

Yeah Jalopnik always struck me as the cool guy at the Gawker party. Just kinda off by themselves flipping through your bookshelf and giving you really cool ideas and you're like "man I hope this guy hangs out with me again or at least fucks me in the bathroom"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

a retard posted:

the kotaku staff will join polygon/rock paper shotgun
the politics writers will join salon/vox
deadspin people might go to sbnation
everyone else will go to buzzfeed/upworthy

IDK, a lot of their writers/editors liked to rip other media outlets both in their content and business practices. I'm pretty sure Hamilton Nolan and Co. wrote more than a few articles about internal stuff going on at buzzfeed and I'd wonder if that burns any bridges for the rest of the writers.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Didn't Gawker throw a big fit over the Jennifer Lawrence nude leaks and demand they be taken down from every site

Chomp8645 posted:

From earlier in the thread

But at the same time I think they (Deadspin) left up a bunch of Kate Upton related pics for a long time because they wanted to write something about Justin Verlander I guess?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Jezebel writers will go to xojane and the site will experience a newfound boost in quality

So long as nobody tells them it's a joke site, a couple of them could probably go work for Reductress.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I was very confident guessing in advance this would be a Jordan Sargent article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fat Lowtax posted:

Why would ISIS behead a sorcerer? They're playing from behind right now, shouldn't you try to work with the guy and see what he can do?

Sorcerers are party DPS. What would you have them do, just keep hitting on the warrior? That's how you party wipe.

• Locked thread