Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Eep sorry, must have gotten cut off while I was copy pasting. It's up now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Getting some time off tomorrow, will be post-ready probably by the evening. Ish.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

poo poo looking at that quote I realized that the Antler was supposed to be attacked by terrorists. Or zombies in any case. The latter end of the post must have gotten clipped during the copy pasting. Probably edit it in properly later tonight, sorry for the mixup. Or we could play it as it lies in which case making nice conversation and having a good time is its own reward other events will be forthcoming

It might be interesting to see if one of you can have a non-monster filled day and what comes next.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 9, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I was wondering why I got such a short bit.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah it cuts off a little awkwardly because there should be another couple more paragraphs of dialogue and some dude busting in all bedraggled and zombitten because the terrorists monsters are on the streets right now. Sorry for not noticing sooner.

But honestly we can go either way. I'm happy to roll with it if you want to go with the current scene.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'll take things as they come. Not like I've left the bar yet.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

I am so unbelievably sorry. My air conditioner totally failed so I was at the in-law's for far too long, my tablet decided to commit suicide for some reason, and I can't get this dumb site to work on my phone because it sucks so hard. And I'm only one generation behind, so I just quit. I finally snagged some time on my husband's computer, so I will be posting asap.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Wow alright, promise exactly as delivered. I'll try to wrap up the update later tonight since a lot of what's going on right now is dialogue-related and not too difficult.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Hey gang, probably going to get some time off in the next day or two so I'll be available to quick post if you guys are around in the same time frame.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

:siren:Where have all the Devil Summoners gone? :( Anyone currently playing is welcome to post and continue otherwise I'm reopening recruitment effective immediately, until we've got 3-4 players or one week from now Saturday 11, June 2016 7PM GMT:siren:

Anybody who's interested can check out the OP of this thread, only I'll have some supplementary question amendments later in a few days.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gimme a bit to read up, I'll throw something together soon.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Shuusuke Takeda, Code-Name: 黒曜石 -- Obsidian

So, this is the part where I tell you all about me, right? My sad, tragic backstory, where I pour my heart out and then you try to make sense of me afterwards.

Unfortunately, in the world of espionage, information is crucial, necessary to one's survival. Ever heard of 'need to know?' 'Give and take?' These aren't just rules of thumb for people like me; they're law.

In other words, most of the information I can or might tell you is classified.

What I can tell you is this: the governments of the world have been concerned by the rise of occult activity. I'm not talking about kids in their basements drawing pentagrams, or people claiming to be abducted by aliens via sleep paralysis. Real attacks by demons, ghosts, real cases of normally sane people seemingly possessed, murdering those closest to them before offing themselves.

Agents like me were trained and placed all over the world, in cities everywhere, posing as students, office workers, people who you might just pass on the street. We answer to code-names or our false identities. Our job is to investigate these activities, stop them if we're able.

Once, I was just an ordinary Japanese citizen. Now, I'm 'Shuusuke,' 'Obsidian', so called because the other guys thought it was pretty cute how I dressed in all black. Whatever.

I was in Athena City when the apocalypse happened. The DDD was in my apartment. I thought it was requisition. Turns out it was more like a lifeline. The demon I summoned helped me fend off the first ones that broke in.

I probably could've taken them by myself; I've been trained and honed by missions, but I certainly didn't mind the extra pair of hands.

Called himself Wukong. The Monkey King, like in the story Journey to the West:

He rubs me the wrong way, to be honest. A bit too straightforward, a bit too much joking around. I'm not gonna get rid of him, though. Good to have someone else around to lighten things up a bit.

Now, my mission is pretty simple: survive until I can contact my superiors. Determine if this is happening around the world, or just here. Most importantly: find others like me. Agents, or those otherwise qualified to make it through this.

Turns out I'm able to say quite a bit on the tragic backstory. Got to work on that. Less talking, more doing; that's how it works now.

quote:

+2: DDD It's some kind of technology that allows one to summon demons, and collect currency. $oul. It seems important to collect and use it. Can anyone use these? Can we potentially summon more than one demon? Why did it suddenly appear, as if out of nowhere? Is it connected to the events occurring in Athena City? Why does the demon summoned by it have to obey the Contract we create? This thing is worth a lot of questions. Hopefully the answers will come with time.

+6: Sun Wukong A figure steeped in tradition. A character from one of the most famous stories ever written. He sure doesn't act like it, though. He seems to like me, and I can put up with his antics. I call it a fair trade.

+6: Occult Agent From childhood, I've been trained in a variety of areas. Martial arts, marksmanship, use of technology like computers, stealth, athleticism, medicine. Most important, techniques and knowledge regarding what others would call the 'supernatural.' Where do I hit this demon? Does this ghost have any weaknesses? Where do monsters most often gather, and when? Being able to answer questions like these is the result of training and experience. Without it, I wouldn't be standing here today.

+2: The Eye of the Storm Some people I work with say it's unusual how calm I am. Do I show any emotion, they wonder? I'd like to humor them and say no, but if you get me angry enough, or tell me a funny joke, I'm not always impassive. When the poo poo hits the fan, however, I know it's good to have people like me around, who can give and take orders without freaking out about whatever's coming at them.

-4: Cold as Ice Slow to trust might be an understatement. It's my job to be suspicious of everyone, everything. I'm trying to find the truth, to complete my missions, not bond over shared trauma. You get the job done, you do what you're supposed to, and then maybe we'll talk. Until then, you might just have a pair of black eyes watching your every move, a trained near-photographic memory hanging on every word.

quote:

To satisfy your heart's deepest desire, would you sacrifice another living human being? [YES] / [NO] ?

This question is ridiculous. Most people don't even know what their heart's deepest desire is, let alone whether they'd be willing to kill for it. The same goes for me. I suppose, ignoring all the possible questions and implications of the scenario where something like this could happen, I can't say I wouldn't be willing. I've had to kill before, and I will probably have to keep killing until this blows over. Whether it's for the mission or for personal gain, it's not something I can ignore; in a crisis, pacifism is almost more dangerous than the willingness to do what you have to. It can put other people in danger. It can cause more harm than good. I have to entertain the possibility; whether or not I actually would depends on the context, the circumstances.

What part of town were you in? What do you think happened to the second plane?

Thankfully, my apartment, more of a safehouse, really, was fairly far away from the bridge. But the demons didn't care about that. They went everywhere, came after everyone. I tracked my attackers to a nearby school, where I was posing as a student. There weren't many survivors. Sort of a grisly sight, really; halls lined with blood, corpses slumped over desks. These creatures are going after dense population areas, central locations, places where transportation of a lot of bodies at once is key: schools, hospitals, bus stops, subway lines. Until communications go back up across the city, they're also my best shot to find others. There had to be other agents like me stationed here in Athena City; not that I could ever track them down, since everything about all of us is so hush-hush. Not a great idea when we've got demons coming out of every alley.

As for the second plane...too much conjecture. A plane can't just disappear. Meaning, it had to go somewhere. Was it hijacked by monsters, or possessed people, flown somewhere else? Into something else? Did the crew aboard hear they were flying into a warzone and decided to touch down elsewhere, get away from the chaos? Has it already crashed, and we just don't know where, when, why, or how? All troubling thoughts, distinctly different possibilities they may be. There's only one way to find out what happened for sure: track it down, by any means necessary.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 6, 2016

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Your guy sounds fun, but there's a limit of +6 at chargen for traits.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
No problem! Just gotta tweak some numbers, then :)

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

PurplieNurplie posted:

Shuusuke Takeda, Code-Name: 黒曜石 -- Obsidian

So, this is the part where I tell you all about me, right? My sad, tragic backstory, where I pour my heart out and then you try to make sense of me afterwards.

Unfortunately, in the world of espionage, information is crucial, necessary to one's survival. Ever heard of 'need to know?' 'Give and take?' These aren't just rules of thumb for people like me; they're law.

In other words, most of the information I can or might tell you is classified.

What I can tell you is this: the governments of the world have been concerned by the rise of occult activity. I'm not talking about kids in their basements drawing pentagrams, or people claiming to be abducted by aliens via sleep paralysis. Real attacks by demons, ghosts, real cases of normally sane people seemingly possessed, murdering those closest to them before offing themselves.

Agents like me were trained and placed all over the world, in cities everywhere, posing as students, office workers, people who you might just pass on the street. We answer to code-names or our false identities. Our job is to investigate these activities, stop them if we're able.

Once, I was just an ordinary Japanese citizen. Now, I'm 'Shuusuke,' 'Obsidian', so called because the other guys thought it was pretty cute how I dressed in all black. Whatever.

I was in Athena City when the apocalypse happened. The DDD was in my apartment. I thought it was requisition. Turns out it was more like a lifeline. The demon I summoned helped me fend off the first ones that broke in.

I probably could've taken them by myself; I've been trained and honed by missions, but I certainly didn't mind the extra pair of hands.

A little more extraordinary than what I was thinking but no big deal because Shuusuke's an interesting fit for the game anyway. Is there a name or acronym for the mysterious group which is training and sending agents out into the world? I'm terrible at names so Global Occult Alliance is about the best I can think of so if you have something better feel free to use that instead. Related to that, how well connected with local or national politics are the (tentative) GOA? i.e. the difference between Interpol, CIA, and the WHO.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yay, Hank is back!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Hurray for Hank is right, glad to see you again Speleothing! It's no problem if you're late and want to drop back in, provided you don't mind if we skip around in time a bit to catch you up or retcon scenes. If something's giving you writers block or you want to try a different narrative direction let me know and I'll see if we can't work something out. No point in playing pretend on the internet if it isn't fun and interesting after all.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I refuse to let this game die!

AR summons Additional Summoners +2!

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I'll post a thing answering puppies' questions, just been busy. Hopefully other people post dudes/dudettes as well.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Hopefully so, otherwise between you, Poison Mushroom, Absurd Revolver, and maybe Speleothing and anybody else who's a current player we've got a good sized crew. I will be wrapping up the current scene and starting second wave characters some time this week probably.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

quote:

INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPT --

DATE: CLASSIFIED

TIME: CLASSIFIED

A: Are we recording? Good, good; This is [REDACTED], and I'm with President [REDACTED]. So nice to see you; please, have a seat.

B: First you'll have to tell me what the hell's going on out there. Those are children!

A: The word is agents, Mr. President. They're here, whether by choice or conscription, to become the best qualified people on Earth to face...extra-dimensional threats.

B: Extra-dimension-- are you even listening to yourself right now? What are you talking about?

A: I think you know that as well as I do. How many crimes have gone unsolved? What lies beneath Roswell, New Mexico? Who shot John F. Kennedy? Why have paranormal events been growing at an exponential rate? Most importantly...what will happen in Athena City?

B: How long have you been doing this? Hiding beneath paperwork, under fake job titles and fund allocation? This isn't something we can just ignore!

A: Interpol does not hide its subsidiaries, Mr. President. They are a global force. The world needs our agents, and so we do a job. There's no conspiracy, no secret.

B: Then why don't you exist?

A: You could be possessed. I could be a demon. The only way we can do our job is, as you put it, by 'hiding.' Really, it's more like we've been waiting. And now, it's time for us to move. Otherwise, things might get a bit...messy.

B: This is absurd! You will be shut down, I promise you that. By the authority granted to me as President --

A: I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this. Your bodyguards look like they could take on just about anyone, Mr President. But, I wonder...can they take on a man who doesn't flinch when faced with a demon?

C: Mr. President, you're being asked politely to leave. I can't stay polite forever.

B: Are you threatening me?

C: Asking. Politely.

B: Fine. You're monsters, all of you. This whole operation.

C: Was that the right thing to do?

A: He merely had to see what we were. The word he used, monsters...he's not entirely wrong. M.O.N.S.T.E.R. I suppose he at least looked up the name.

C: The Multinational Squadron for Tactical Espionage and Reconnaissance...why that name?

A: We're dealing with monsters, after all, Obsidian. What better way to fight them, than to become monsters ourselves?

END TRANSCRIPT

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

M.O.N.S.T.E.R. got a chuckle out of me, so :golfclap:

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Poison mushroom if you're still interested drop an app or hit me up via PM. Anybody else who I've messaged or is a past player feel free to do the same, otherwise here we go again.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
None of these characters are going to get along, and I can't wait.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

What are you talking about? Hank [+2] gets along with everybody. Hipsters are nothing if not social chameleons.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

I agree that nothing could go wrong from a demon hunter, an amoral hipster, and a lapsing alcoholic who's actively trying to get closer to his bodyhorror demon arm getting together to fight international terrorism/crime.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Still looking for someone? Love me some SMT.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Leraika posted:

indeed we are come and join us for hilarious hijinks

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Sure drop and app and we'll figure it out.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Things are busy because of the holiday weekend but I'll probably have a post soon. Otherwise happy National American Fireworks day to all.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Leraika posted:

Poison Mushroom posted:

Gimme a bit to read up, I'll throw something together soon.

Hopefully one of these two shows up again.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'm still planning on doing an app, just really busy with the holiday weekend.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah no worries, if you get it in before I post I'll work you in right at that update but otherwise I'll catch you up whenever we're both free. Which in America is always, obviously. :911:

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

You guys still out there? I'm in if you are, plenty of devils to go around.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Internet bad. Waiting for a new router. Hard to effort post from the cellphone.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
busy with some irl stuff that's been consuming my thoughts, but i have a post in mind, probably have it up tomorrow

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ah good to know. Hope everything works out for you guys, in your time, etc.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

You want to know about me? Sure, that's no problem. Name's Ziva Tavernier, I'm twenty six years old, five foot four, one hundred ten pounds, parents came over from France in the sixties for free love or something like it, I work as an 'information consultant'. That's what I've got down on the screen, and that's what I tell people when they ask. But let me let you in on a little secret, a'ight? Just you and me, no one else.

None of that loving matters.

You want to know what does matter, then? Well, let's see. That 'information consulting' job? Sure, it's real enough. Big corporations, politicians, billionaires who think they can gently caress us all over and get away scot-free? They step out of line too far and I will consult the poo poo out of their information... and make sure it's posted, in all its lovely detail, all over at least three major news sites the next day. I kinda like to think of it like I'm a modern day Robin Hood; I steal from the assholes and leak to the internet. You know how it is.

'Course, I wasn't alone. There were a group of us, you know? All going by codenames, all doing our best to make this lovely world a little better in our own special ways. We called ourselves - and I guess this is kind of silly, hearing it actually spoken out loud - the Hand of Ma'at. You know, like the goddess? No? Okay. Anyway, she's the goddess of order, morality, judgment, that kind of thing. She's the one who judged people at the end of their lives, literally weighing out their sins. I guess it seemed appropriate enough (and kind of spooky, maybe?) so... you know, I have no idea who actually suggested, it but it ended up sticking.

Am I going somewhere with this? Okay, first, gently caress you. Second: You know those weird phablet things we got a couple of days ago? A week before they showed up, I woke up and got to work and... complete radio silence. It's like everyone I worked with just dropped off the face of the earth at once. Being the entirely reasonable and rational person I am, of course, I say to myself 'Self, maybe it's just a coincidence'. Fair enough, self. But then a couple of days passed, and nothing at all, and I started getting a little worried, because that's how I am, I'm just the caringest person on the face of this earth, and then it was a week, those DDS things randomly appeared out of nowhere, and then, well, all loving hell broke loose.

...They called themselves the 'Hand of Sekhmet', you know? It's gotta be a coincidence, right? Gotta be. But if it isn't, if the Hand of Ma'at's going dead is somehow linked to this bunch of murdering fuckbenches, well... rest assured I'm gonna hunt them down and, personally, beat the poo poo out of them. Even if they used to be my very best friends in the entire world.

code:
gAwYNnLYO!
Oh right. That phablet thing, the DDS? It called up a weird...thing. DDS says it's a 'moth man' and that it's there for my protection, but it's just, uh, made noises like that at me and eaten everything I've put in front of it. Is it really a demon? I was expecting something a little more...hellfire.

quote:

+4: DDD (jailbroken) The first rule of hacking is that nothing is impenetrable, and Ziva's managed to get root access on her DDD. As for what she can do with that at the moment... well, nothing super interesting. But she's working on it!

+4: Mothman A demon as mysterious as it is strange and as incomprehensible as it is mysterious, Mothman is apparently Ziva's companion now, since it won't stop following her around.

+4: Hacker, Phreaker, Cracker Whatever you call it, if it involves electronics, Ziva's probably the girl you want for the job.

+2: Indomitable Spirit It'll take more than the end of the world to bring Ziva Tavernier down. She might not be all that tough, and she might have no idea what she's doing, but she'll stand tall and keep swinging until the end.

+2 Social Engineer The second rule of hacking is that it's always easier to get some other sucker to do your job for you. Whether it's pretending to be an official or just talking really loud and really fast, there's something to be said for a good ol'fashioned flimflam.

-2 Can't Let it Go Is there a problem that needs solved? Justice that needs to be done? It's going to be done, no matter how long it takes. No ifs ands or buts...

-2 The Ends Justify the Means ...And it's not like we're running a popularity contest here, people. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made, and you have to break a few eggs to solve those problems. In their stupid egg faces.

(sorry for the delay, I managed to injure myself rather badly and tldr it has been a lovely two weeks. Do let me know if I need something or if the concept isn't suitable.)

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Sorry for an unusually sparse post, been super busy and likely will be until the middle of next month.

Also, good to see we have someone who knows how to use technology now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Leraika posted:

You want to know about me? Sure, that's no problem. Name's Ziva Tavernier, I'm twenty six years old, five foot four, one hundred ten pounds, parents came over from France in the sixties for free love or something like it, I work as an 'information consultant'. That's what I've got down on the screen, and that's what I tell people when they ask. But let me let you in on a little secret, a'ight? Just you and me, no one else.

None of that loving matters.

You want to know what does matter, then? Well, let's see. That 'information consulting' job? Sure, it's real enough. Big corporations, politicians, billionaires who think they can gently caress us all over and get away scot-free? They step out of line too far and I will consult the poo poo out of their information... and make sure it's posted, in all its lovely detail, all over at least three major news sites the next day. I kinda like to think of it like I'm a modern day Robin Hood; I steal from the assholes and leak to the internet. You know how it is.

'Course, I wasn't alone. There were a group of us, you know? All going by codenames, all doing our best to make this lovely world a little better in our own special ways. We called ourselves - and I guess this is kind of silly, hearing it actually spoken out loud - the Hand of Ma'at. You know, like the goddess? No? Okay. Anyway, she's the goddess of order, morality, judgment, that kind of thing. She's the one who judged people at the end of their lives, literally weighing out their sins. I guess it seemed appropriate enough (and kind of spooky, maybe?) so... you know, I have no idea who actually suggested, it but it ended up sticking.

Am I going somewhere with this? Okay, first, gently caress you. Second: You know those weird phablet things we got a couple of days ago? A week before they showed up, I woke up and got to work and... complete radio silence. It's like everyone I worked with just dropped off the face of the earth at once. Being the entirely reasonable and rational person I am, of course, I say to myself 'Self, maybe it's just a coincidence'. Fair enough, self. But then a couple of days passed, and nothing at all, and I started getting a little worried, because that's how I am, I'm just the caringest person on the face of this earth, and then it was a week, those DDS things randomly appeared out of nowhere, and then, well, all loving hell broke loose.

...They called themselves the 'Hand of Sekhmet', you know? It's gotta be a coincidence, right? Gotta be. But if it isn't, if the Hand of Ma'at's going dead is somehow linked to this bunch of murdering fuckbenches, well... rest assured I'm gonna hunt them down and, personally, beat the poo poo out of them. Even if they used to be my very best friends in the entire world.

code:
gAwYNnLYO!
Oh right. That phablet thing, the DDS? It called up a weird...thing. DDS says it's a 'moth man' and that it's there for my protection, but it's just, uh, made noises like that at me and eaten everything I've put in front of it. Is it really a demon? I was expecting something a little more...hellfire.

(sorry for the delay, I managed to injure myself rather badly and tldr it has been a lovely two weeks. Do let me know if I need something or if the concept isn't suitable.)

Dang well I hope everything's alright for you now and in the future. Stay safe internet ghost, etc.

Anyway this looks good, DDD (jailbroken) is actually something I'd been wondering if anyone would try and it really makes sense for Ziva to have done it give her personality/skill set. You are missing the supplemental YES / NO questions and a bit about what your morning has been like but if you'd like we can do things a little differently because you voided the warranty on your DDD. Speaking of which, when you cracked open the casing (possibly the most difficult thing you've ever done short of wearing stockings literally every day of the week for a job thing, ugh) and peeled off the sticker something kind of... disconcerting happened. What was it and how do you plan on having that not happen ever again? And what is your opinion on anime?

Also, the Hand of Ma'at were a strictly online group made up of seasoned crackers, grey hats, and jerks on the internet. There are rules about keeping your poo poo to yourself in case somebody does something stupid and gets picked up, mostly so if somebody rolls over for the FBI it won't wind up burning everybody else all at once. But you actually met/know another member of the Hand of Ma'at (recently too) in Athena City IRL, why?

• Locked thread