Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Hank Settor

Well, my family is from upstate, but I've always wanted to live in Athena City, where the artists and the action is. Pretty well-off, a nurse and a lawyer with two kids. Just me and my older sister, she's in California working for Mallmart corporate. I played a lot of sports in middle school, settled on hockey and baseball in high school. Played hockey two years in college, then my jaw got shattered and I focused on my anthropology degree. Which was interesting but I'm not really planning on using it for anything. Finished up in five years, and moved strait to the city. Worked for the bike shop on Lincoln for a year and a half, then at Antler Brewery on 15th near Atlantic. But my passion right now is baking artisanal breads for Follman's - I see a lot of politicians and celebrities on the days when I work up front, but they're all so fake. Still, I get a great deal on nice cheeses and cured meats, plus the wine shop across the street trades employee discounts with us. I get by pretty well, particularly when I get a weekend off and sell prints and things at the artists' market. Though of course there's always the bank of Mom and Dad if things were to get really rough.

I mostly ride my bike around town, which both is way more practical in this city and very environmentally conscious. I've actually got three bikes: a fixie cruiser, a commuting roadie, and a fat bike for snowy days. Try to get out and take pictures on my days off, only a dabbler there. Currently living with the two gay bartenders from Antler in a 5th floor apartment on 19th, They really care about the music scene, and I met a lot of young musicians through the Antler and them. The people in this area are just so much more vibrant and real; there's a 2nd generation Filipino family below us and an actual immigrant South African couple across the hall. I'm straight, since you're now wondering, but no girlfriend at the moment. I tend to get a lot of dates, though. I'm only 27, and it's a big city full of adventure.

When the plane hit? I was at work that morning, we turned the radio to the local news and gave out a bunch of free sandwiches. Rode my bike home and the streets were absolutely dead, which anyone can tell you is pretty weird for Athena City. The second plane ended up in the ocean. Where else? It's just been too soon for investigators to figure out exactly where and most people are more interested in the bridge or the Sekhemet message.

To satisfy your heart's deepest desire, would you sacrifice another living human being? I guess probably. Not sure what the 'deepest desire' is yet. And only if the person was a total rear end in a top hat.

quote:

+4 Fit as hell - Get it? Because the demons? But seriously, I got scouted for AAA, maybe even pro, but my parents insisted on college, and then the big hit ended that.

+2 Artistic - Steady hand, good eye. Little bit of watercolor, but mostly 'found' things and photographs. Other people seem to think I've got good taste.

+2 Stunningly Charming - People just seem to like me. I imagine life must be a lot harder for people who don't have a winning smile.

+4 DDDplus- Seems to be the upgraded version with faster connection times and a neat Hypnotize The Weak-Willed app

+4 Shed - Some kinda winged ox-chicken-man thing I guess. He's bright enough to get chores done, strong enough to lift a dumpster, and has electro-fists. Flew me to the top of the building the first night just to prove he could.

-4 Glass Jaw - It got broken so bad I could hardly chew for years. Doesn't take much of a bump for me to go down with a head-splitter.

-0 Early to Bed - Bakery starts at 4am, so I gotta hit the mattress at like 8 or 9 at the latest. I don't even bother with bar nights anymore, it's just my inner clock telling me what to do.
Early to bed didn't seem like a big enough hit to actually be worth any points. It's interesting, but not likely to come up. Glass Jaw on the other hand can be pretty major, so I went ahead and made it a 4. I'd be willing to equalize them back to 2's.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I think I'm done editing for now. I've got to go out and make some artisinal soups for dinner and will answer any questions in a slightly half-hearted and condescending manner later tonight.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Puppies are dicks posted:

:golfclap: Does Hank have a smartphone or use any other mobile devices/media? With no mention of having an Etsy account, Pinterest (too lazy to make up gag names), etc. it's also possible that he's the analog kind of hipster. Is he? And if so where does he do his developing? If not, what kind (how expensive) of digital camera does he use?

Who owns/manages Follman's? It's not a corporate or even local chain, since it's an actual bakery used by people, built by people brick and mortar kind of place but is there like a grizzled old Mr. Follman who survived the Holocaust to come bake bread after fighting as a partisan (or his half-Korean adult daughter) or something?

He's got an instagram, naturally. Uses a $1000 pentax dslr and has 3 lenses for it. But he's also got access to a darkroom that this girl Jennifer made from a walk-in closet and her medium-format camera, though she does all the actual developing work and he just helps.

Follman's Bakery was founded by Isaac Follman in the 30s, and run by his family for 40 years. But Jerry Voss & his wife (then-girlfirend) Irene bought 50% during the early 80s when Athena city was having huge crime problems and nobody wanted to come to the neighborhood. He really turned it around from a run-of-the-mill bread and pastry shop with a neat art-deco look into a destination for food lovers and the spot for gourmet sandwiches and artisan breads. Bob Follman (a lawyer) mostly stays out of the way and lets the checks come in, but his teenage son wants to learn the family business.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 25, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I was wondering why I got such a short bit.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'll take things as they come. Not like I've left the bar yet.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

What are you talking about? Hank [+2] gets along with everybody. Hipsters are nothing if not social chameleons.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Internet bad. Waiting for a new router. Hard to effort post from the cellphone.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'm still in, and intend to turn and fight,

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Puppies are dicks posted:

Hey great to see you back in Speleothing, I'm writing up the update right now but with any luck we'll get Leraika rolling in soon too for the hat trick.

never meant to leave, just been busy & drunk lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I am consistently planning to post

• Locked thread