Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mcustic posted:

Neither, read Savage Detectives or 2666

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

mcustic posted:

Neither, read Savage Detectives and 2666

fixed

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

can't really recognize any of the books but this is probably the classiest shelf posted

He has at least one STEPHEN KING book.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

A Strange Aeon posted:

Also, nomadologique, I'm glad we agree about Borges now and your weird opinion earlier that prompted all this was merely a miscommunication.

:thumbsup:

i stand by my weird opinion but won't bother elaborating. borges is closer to life than almost any writer i know.

nomadologique fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 7, 2016

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
singer songwriter jack johnson was inspired to write "banana pancakes" after devouring pynchon's opus, gravity's rainbow. he is actually a big lit buff. while he asserts that GR is incontrovertibly pynchon's "best" for artistic scope and import, he prefers the indelible human heartache and wide eyed wonder of M&D.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

what's a book

verdict: book shelves good at holding things that aren't books

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

deadwing posted:

what's a book

verdict: book shelves good at holding things that aren't books
holy poo poo, Smash Up

my man :hfive:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

symbolic posted:

holy poo poo, Smash Up

my man :hfive:

:buddy: I've got the big box with all the expansions except the most recent two in my beer and board games closet, but that's not a bookshelf and doesn't belong here

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

deadwing posted:

:buddy: I've got the big box with all the expansions except the most recent two in my beer and board games closet, but that's not a bookshelf and doesn't belong here
my friend owns it and he has a couple of the expansions. i always try to do for robots+whatever i feel like trying at the moment. i think last time it was dinosaurs and that combo worked pretty well.

will wheaton is also overpowered to poo poo

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

A Strange Aeon posted:

People who own the Watchmen and the Sandman but not Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run confuse me.

Also, nomadologique, I'm glad we agree about Borges now and your weird opinion earlier that prompted all this was merely a miscommunication.

Re: Pynchon, should I read Gravity's Rainbow or Infinite Jest first if I want a big modern novel?

gravity's rainbow is a masterpiece and infinite jest is pablum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the so-called bookshelf bending under the tremendous weight of paperbacks.

A Strange Aeon posted:

People who own the Watchmen and the Sandman but not Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run confuse me.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing books are often sold out. Watchmen probably hasn't been out of print at any point since the nineties.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm the so-called bookshelf bending under the tremendous weight of paperbacks.

That crappy one on the left is probably 30 years old, made out of particle board, and lived most of it's life massively overloaded with 2 rows of books plus as many as would fit on top of those rows. It's permanently bent now. I'd replace it with another one like the rest, but they are wider and won't fit in that spot due to the door being right there.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Philthy posted:

He has at least one STEPHEN KING book.

I have many.

King/classics:

The version of the Divine Comedy that I have I think is from B&N, but it has the illustrations by Gustav Dore, which are amazing, and the Dracula version has illustrations by Gorey, which are also great.

Military/History (most of these are from my wife's grandfather):

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 7, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Applewhite posted:

The Zelda art book is surprisingly popular.

Yeah. In my case, it was a surprise Christmas gift from my wife--I knew everything else I was getting, she just wanted to surprise me. I wish she hadn't, as I'd stopped enjoying the Zelda games after twilight princess. Like 2/3rds of the book is dedicated to the one designed for Wii.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 7, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I keep my bnooks in a pile, idiot

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

gently caress the ROW posted:

I keep my bnooks in a pile, idiot

Post the pile.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Also, I'm done adding pics, so you can point poo poo out you notice, other than that, now.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

kizudarake posted:

Also, I'm done adding pics, so you can point poo poo out you notice, other than that, now.

I noticed there aren't any more pics in your post.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Applewhite posted:

I noticed there aren't any more pics in your post.

Yeah, apparently I edited instead of posting a new post. gently caress.

There we go.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 7, 2016

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
This is our (mine and the Mrs.) Bookshelves (Btw, I guess I'm one of the few from non-english speaking countries posting in this thread, so most of the books are in spanish, but I guess you can recognize the authors)

Sorry for the crappy phone pics

The intellectual one

Close up the bottom

(Two Freud's complete works, one mine, the other its the Mrs.)

Second row

Top row

And now the fun stuff:

Mandatory King shelve

The others

I have yet to get a lot books I left in my mother's house. More King stuff, and others.

e: hosed up some link

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

It warms my heart to see so much king king in this thread. I looked in the book barn king topic once but it was full of people hating on all of his stuff.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
King is the best. Haters gonna hate.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

when he dies I will live in a world with no new King 2/3 times a year for the first time in my life :(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Stephen King is the Woody Allen of fiction. If you write 300 books statistically a few of them will be good.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Stephen King is the Woody Allen of fiction. If you write 300 books statistically a few of them will be good.

AFAIK Stephen King has never married his own teenaged daughter.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Nice to see Sagan's Cosmos on so many shelves.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Applewhite posted:

AFAIK Stephen King has never married his own teenaged daughter.

The night is young

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't read Infinite Jest.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Well, the organization of my shelf is atrocious, and i'm not a huge reader, especially when it comes to fiction, but here it goes.

Top shelf, among others most of my required university books are here. The book about Genetics could be one but was actually a gift.

Middle shelf, bit of a mix.

Bottom shelf, also pretty mixed.

I also have some books in a box that don't fit my small shelf that i don't have to retread as much.
Others are lying around somewhere or in my backpack.
And cook books i keep in the kitchen.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

opus111 posted:

It warms my heart to see so much king king in this thread. I looked in the book barn king topic once but it was full of people hating on all of his stuff.

those snobs in the book barn sure aren't fans of pulp, that's certain

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Mafalda is the only "intellectual" thing in that shelf.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are there any goons who don't have Watchmen?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
stephen king shoulda died when he got hit by the van

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shaquin posted:

stephen king shoulda died when he got hit by the van

he didn't get hit by a van, he got pushed out of the way

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

If there are they should rush out and buy a copy because it is great literature.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't.

The White Dragon posted:

he didn't get hit by a van, he got pushed out of the way

gently caress you, those books don't exist.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm jealous of everyone who has lots of books. Please let me have your books. You can keep your sagging/tilted shelves though.

Literally all I got right now, lost most of my collection in a breakup a few years ago :(

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh man this is gonna be a fun derail

read Infinite Jest and skip the footnotes

some of the footnotes are great but some of them are worth skipping... tough call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sinking belle posted:

I'm jealous of everyone who has lots of books. Please let me have your books. You can keep your sagging/tilted shelves though.

Literally all I got right now, lost most of my collection in a breakup a few years ago :(

That Walmart bookcase will be sagging and tilted before long too

• Locked thread