Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am asking this because the new TeslaCrypt and general encryption viruses are getting more prevalent. I really don't trust antivirus programs to prevent this stuff.
What I really want to do is access a Windows SMB file share but only be able to have Write access when/if I put in a special username/password.

The problem is Windows doesn't seem to offer this functionality. I am always logged in as the account my local login uses. I can't really switch .

Is there a way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Swarthy_Foreskin posted:

Do you have the same local user/pass on both client and server? If so, change one of them.

Well, yes. But see, I want the default to be read only everything. Then write access if you attempt to write something by bringing up a login prompt. I can easily change the password but I wanted this to be a on-write type of situation. I don't think Windows can do this?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

adocious posted:

Make a read-only share and a second one with write permissions. Give the writeable share a local account so that your client computer can't just access it with the credentials you are logged in with.

Interesting idea actually. I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

VSS often won't save from from crypto/ransom viruses. First, if they get credentials/admin rights they can just blast it all so at minimum the backup system should have alt credentials if it doesn't have a cold offline copy. Also, the default behavior with VSS is to dump old snapshots when the vol is low on space. If your vol more than half-full what it will do is start generating encrypted hidden copies alongside your unencrypted data and keep going until the volume is full which forces all your previous snapshots out. Once its done encrypting, delete the original copies and now there's no easy recovery path without going to backup. You can change the VSS policy to enforce a hard retention policy based on capture intervals but it isn't not the default behavior and something that I have seen first hand bite a important office when they decided VSS == backup.

Any ideas on a solution? You are totally right on those points. For the moment I threw together a separate computer with a 8TB drive which gets turned on once a week for backups and back off. Kind of brute force fix.

• Locked thread