Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Howling Man posted:

Is it actually good, anyone who has seen this?

Yeah it's real drat good. I'm a huge sucker for movies that have really smart sensibilities about light (Villeneuve and Deakins are the reigning tag team champs at this), and Nichols and cinematographer Adam Stone do an incredible job in that arena here. I don't want to get too much into the details of it if I'm the only one here who's seen this so far, but pay close attention to mostly-dark scenes with one prominent light source, because there's a lot of super clever stuff going on there

I also really enjoyed how deftly it mixed otherworldly and banal registers, with a lot of the character work focusing on salt-of-the-earth types working through situations they barely understand and bringing the audience along on that process of hopeful, halting discovery. The lived-in processes of making sense of something fantastic are all really on point - this is a movie where a child somehow intercepts coded government transmissions and repeats them as if speaking in tongues, and a cult forms around him, treating the intercepted transmissions as scripture (Spoilers for the first 15 minutes or so - about the initial setup of the movie more than specific plot events)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

Did Deakins shoot Enemy?

Nah, he shot Prisoners and Sicario

• Locked thread