Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I *may* end up exercising some editorial control at certain points, but these will be very rare, indeed.

Speaking of which (spoilers for the next 2-3 hours of the game), I already have dressing-up for Alvin and Elize (I'm going to Helioborg first, because that is objectively the better choice for more content) for part V, but I do need new colors for Ludger and Jude.

Would you choose do the honors of dressing up those two for when I record next, Junpei?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sure. Thanks, though.
Can you give me my options?
Oh, and I love your Escha and Logy LP.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Junpei posted:

Sure. Thanks, though.
Can you give me my options?
Oh, and I love your Escha and Logy LP.

Sure, I'll have the options up in a couple hours (Simpsons is on now).

Also, thanks for the E&L comment. Always nice to hear when people enjoyed those threads.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sylphid posted:

Also, thanks for the E&L comment. Always nice to hear when people enjoyed those threads.

Oh wow, for some reason my brain didn't make that connection. They were pretty cool.

I gotta say I don't think the way you're doing skits works for me. I think it'd be better to have the full skit in its place, along with a link to its spot in the update's skit video. That's what Admiral H. Curtiss and I use.

Also, I have a dump of the portraits/textures and a dump of the script if you need either of those.

Also also, you spelled my name wrong in the OP. (Skype won't let you have a 5-character name, so I added an extra w there.)

Let me know if you need help with anything.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Oh wow, for some reason my brain didn't make that connection. They were pretty cool.

I gotta say I don't think the way you're doing skits works for me. I think it'd be better to have the full skit in its place, along with a link to its spot in the update's skit video. That's what Admiral H. Curtiss and I use.

Also, I have a dump of the portraits/textures and a dump of the script if you need either of those.

Also also, you spelled my name wrong in the OP. (Skype won't let you have a 5-character name, so I added an extra w there.)

Let me know if you need help with anything.

A script dump would be really useful, actually. All I'd have to do is go through and cut out the lines where screenshots cover them, and add in the portrait codes for the appropriate lines.

And yeah, I was thinking the way I'm doing skits is a bit inefficient, but I I honestly didn't think of using time code links for them. That is a much better system.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Here is the fashion accessories / costumes video

I have cut Ludger's costume list prematurely because he has all the other ones Jude has, so 1) there's no need to show it again, and 2) there's one costume in particular I definitely don't want shown for a long time.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Actually game, Julius already let us hear the end of it.

Because he's dead.

We murdered him.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ok.
Ludger gets his color variation outfit, the Pet Dragon, the Black Dog Ears, Gambler Haircut and Sidekick Mask.
Jude gets his X1 color variation, a White Shiba Ears, Black Dog Tail, Mini-Milla, and X1 Haircut.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Actually game, Julius already let us hear the end of it.

Because he's dead.

We murdered him.

He came at me with a knife, you saw him!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part IV: The Man Who Works

So yeah, the end of the last update *could* have gone better for us. Let's see if we can turn things around after the apocalypse...

Washed up

Our top story: Terrorists hijacked a train meant for today's festivities and crashed it into the Oscore Plant.

...conducted by members of Exodus, the terrorist organization that opposes peace with Rieze Maxia.

Hm. Well, seems the world is still in one piece, but no sign of Elle, Rollo, Jude, or really, anyone we met on the train. Guess we'll need to talk to the fashionably dressed man who seems to be waiting for us.

Well, I suppose we might as well figure out where we are and how we ended up here. L1 it is.

You're in Duval. I found you all lying on the side of the tracks. The hospitals were overflowing with injured. Full as they were, I had little choice but to carry you here for treatment.

Mr. Rideaux, how are Ludger and Elle coming along?

Oh, cool. Jude's fine, too.

Oh, you're awake! Any aches or pains?

The treatment worked without a hitch. For both of them, I might add.

Wow, Spirius' medical agents really are tip-top.

I'm flattered by the compliment, truly...but our medical spyrix are simply superior to your spirit artes, that's all.

Jude gets a buzz on his cell phone...

I'd better take this.

Ludger notices Elle's pocket watch is on the table, and decides to pick it up...

What're you-- Hey, that's my pocketwatch! Give it back!

Seems there's a bit of confusion going on with this watch, however. Julius has one that looks exactly like it, but when Elle first arrived in Trigleph, and in the first anime cutscene, we clearly saw Elle had one. Still, L1 it is. R1 increases her affection, however.

You're a big liar! My daddy gave that watch to me!

Despite punching him in the leg, Ludger shrugs it off and pockets the watch anyway.

Hey, I saw that! You stole my watch! Give it back to me, you dirty crook! C'mon! Give it back already!

Sorry to interrupt all the excitement, but the bill for your medical treatment comes to 15,000,000 gald.

What?

Oh, it might sound excessive, but can you really put a price on saving a life?

But... I don't have any money at all...

Being a child is hardly a valid excuse.

Why did we have to get saved by THIS guy? Ugh, I hope he won't be around for much longer...

Really, Ludger, you'll need to behave better if you plan to fit in around here.

Excuse me, I'm looking for Mr. Rideaux?

Ah, perfect timing, Miss Nova. This woman works for the Verland Bank.

Ludger?! What are you doing here? is this loan for you?

Hey! Wasn't this girl that one who got a sword thrown through her? She bounced back pretty fast, but hey, might as well check in with our old friend and see how she's doing.

Hm? What are you talking about?

I'm with Ludger here... Whoever that person was, it wasn't the same person we see before us. But then, of course, that begs the question: who exactly did we see?

In any case, we're talking about a small fortune.

Ryooow!

Well, he's blocking the door, so we have the choice of accepting the loan, and not doing anything...

By the way, checking out the TV will let you find this, hidden away.

Well, guess we could keep it safe for a rainy day. I think Ludger is old enough to drink. I mean, I don't think the game ever specifies his age, but I think he's over 21. Anyway, you have to talk to Rideaux to continue. When you do...

Not to pressure you unduly, but have you reached your decision?

The pits

As much as I'd prefer to avoid talking or otherwise interacting with this guy again, but thou must...

Oh, and I can't have been the only person who played this game who thought by choosing R1, you'd get a different conversation. But no, all it does is return you to wandering around the bar until you agree to sign the contract for the loan.

Heh. You've made a wise decision.

Sorry about that. The call ran long. Hey, what are you doing?!

Oh, he's just taking out a little loan to cover his medical obligations.

This bill is huge! Did anyone tell you what'll happen if you sign that? Basically, you'll be tracked via GHS. They'll be monitoring your finances around the clock. You won't be able to buy a stick of gum without them knowing.

A lot of debtors can't manage their money. Lots of 'em squander the cash they should be using to pay us back.

Those deadbeats waste their money and their lives. But Ludger here isn't a deadbeat, is he?

That doesn't--

Or maybe you're saying you'd like to cover his bill.

That's...not quite what I was...

Besides, not to be gauche, but haven't you sunk every last gald into your spyrite research?

So, if you choose to interpret spyrix as fossil fuels (as you should), then spyrites are clean energy sources. Essentially, spyrixes are responsible for the death of spirits, at the cost of high technology (like Rideaux mentioned). Spyrites essentially do the same thing, but without the cost to the spirits. However, as just mentioned, Jude still has not found a way to make spyrites work.

In essence, the conflict between Jude's group and the main antagonists of the first game (Gaius and Muzet) boiled down to the spyrix vs. spyrites issue. The former believed that the Schism (the separation of Rieze Maxia and Elympios that the former Maxwell was responsible for) should be dispelled, and that the development of spyrites could save both worlds. Gaius believed in maintaining the Schism long enough to wipe out all spyrix, whatever the cost to Elympios, and Muzet assisted him in this vision.

Neither had the particular moral high ground over the other, with Jude's group being the eventual victors. Gaius finally conceded and chose to support the union between worlds after the end of the Schism, believing that Jude's vision is possible. He has since taken up leadership of all of Rieze Maxia as its king. Muzet has been MIA since the end of Tales of Xillia.

Basically, what I'm getting at is Gaius is a hardcore badass who has the great distinction of being the only Tales main villain who not only survived the events of the game he was the main enemy in, but moved UP in the world since then.

Hold on, Ludger. There's gotta be another way.

Well, you could always try mooching off of a family member. A solidly-employed older brother, for example?

Low blow...

Hey...

Ludger signs the contract. The deal with the devil is done...

I will transfer the amount of 20,000,000 gald into Mr. Rideaux's account.

Hey, wait!

I forgot to include your veterinary fees. My apologies for the oversight.

Oh Rollo... You're a good cat. Maybe not 5,000,000 gald good, however...

See me if you ever need follow-up treatment. I'll even give you the frequent-patient discount.

Ludger, please don't look so glum!

The Emo Glasses really have made these last two updates, honestly. alchargia chose wisely.

It's my job to help you pay off your loan. That means we're partners now!

I'm getting some comments from Elle and Jude here because of information I've carried over via the Library. Anyway, there's no need to hang out in this dive any longer. We need to get back home to Trigleph!

Speaking of the Library, let's take a quick look at it.

Event List is basically a short synopsis of various story-related events thus far, as well as subquests. About all there is to say about that.

Titles are various achievements you get by playing through the story / gameplay accomplishments. I've already done all of them, so there's not much need for me to ever come back here.

Battle Book is just text-based gameplay tutorials.

Xillia Encyclopedia is pretty rad for people who didn't play the first game, or who played it but can't remember a whole lot about the story / setting / characters. Basically for characters, events, things, etc. etc. that are referred to in this game but were introduced in the first game, this is your one-stop shop. Luckily I remember the first game fairly well, so you (probably) won't need to go further than asking me if you want to know anything I don't otherwise explain.

Enemy Data is your standard enemy encyclopedia. Says all the enemies you've fought, how many times you've defeated them, where they are, and what they drop, with everyone divided into helpful categories.

Item Data is basically the same thing, but with, you guessed it, items.

Skits are a record of all the skits you've viewed, with the option to replay any of them (however, only skits acquired through normal gameplay will gain you affection points. No grinding affection levels from playing the same skit over and over again). Because I carried it over, I can view every skit from this very early moment in the game.

Records is just that, gameplay records. Again, not something I'm terribly worried about at the moment, but hey, might as well check it out for posterity sometime.

Moving on, Duval is a pretty small / seedy town. Not sure I want to hang around here... (Oh, and the crescent moon icon indicates an inn. Rest there to restore all HP / TP).

What to do next

So, Jude...you're broke too, huh?

I've been researching ways to replace the current spyrixes. I got stumped, and the bills piled up. What'll you do now?

Head to Canaan! I have to go there! You could come with me!

Where?

Canaan. It's a place spoken of in fairy tales and ancient spirit legends.They say the spirit that reigns over the cycle of reincarnation dwells there.

It's a place full of magic...and it can grant any wish that you make!

Ludger does a pretty mean :colbert: in response to Elle...

No, it's true! Daddy told me so! How come you don't believe me?!

Perhaps Canaan is more than just a mere fairy tale. According to legends I've encountered, the sage Kresnik traveled to the Land of Canaan wielding the Lance of Will.

What?

You've got the lance!

If the lance really exists, maybe Canaan does as well. But, what in the world was that? Elle, how do we get to Canaan?

I... I dunno. My daddy just told me to get on the train...so I did.

Huh... I kinda doubt the Land of Canaan is on the Trigleph line. So the only reason Elle's father would have told her to get on that train in particular (remember, he even specified the time), would be if he intended Elle to be in the same place as Ludger and company...

It would really help if we knew who the masked man was, but I guess we'll leave it at that for now.

A lost little girl. I feel bad for her.

Well, Elle's in a lot of trouble, so let's be nice guys and choose L1. Increases her affection, you see.

I-I guess I could. I mean, you still need to gimme back my pocket watch, so... Anyway, that creepy guy with the glasses sounded like he knew something about Canaan.

Julius... Kresnik... Ludger, was that really your older brother?

Well, I mean, he looked like Julius and sounded like him, but that demonic countenance...

I don't know...

Whaddaya mean, you don't know?

Have you tried calling his GHS?

We might as well head back to your place. If your brother's safe, he's bound to show up eventually.

You're gonna come with us to Canaan, aren't you?

I am something of a do-gooder.

Jude definitely is, but he's a bit more cynical than the latest Tales protagonist, Sorey. Sorey's entire thing is being almost-impossibly earnest and good-natured, but it works out.

Meow.

He says, "You don't smell like one."

Well, thank you.

Hey, aren't you gonna tell me the kitty's name?

Repaying the Debt (L1 increases Elle's affection)

By the way, Nova's gonna be chatting with us a lot this game, and like Samuel Johnson and London, I say, he who is tired of Nova is tired of life.

Fun fact: Nova is voiced by Christina Vee in English, and she *may* have been in a few other threads of mine. Just spitballing here, though.

Oh, speaking of VAs, Ludger is voiced by Josh Grelle, which I only mention because his name has "Elle" in it, so one could say (not that I would necessarily) this role was fate. Elle is voiced by Brina Palencia, who as I recall is a pretty good voice actress, and she does a similarly good job as Elle.

Jude is voiced by Sam Riegel, who has played another Tales hero in the distant past (it's not Flynn. Not main hero, doesn't count). Cookie for whoever can name which hero he voiced and what game he appeared in. Anyhow, let's press on...

The main street of Duval, with all the attendant storefronts. The far exit leads to Alest Highroad, which leads back to Trigleph. But Ludger is not much of a walking man, and anyway, the train is faster.

Ah, before we head to the station, let's upgrade our equipment a bit. The amount of money you should be swinging at the moment will roughly be the same as mine, so let's get better weapons for our two heroes (from this point on, Elle is the team's official cheerleader. She's basically Ludger's voice in battle). You could pick up better armor, but there's not much need at the moment.

Oh, explanation of stats: P. ATK and P. DEF are physical attack and defense respectively, and A. ATK and A. DEF is arte attack / defense. Should be pretty obvious what everything is. Anyway, after you're done shopping, go to the train station and try to buy a ticket.

A man restricted

Ah, I remember those cards from my recent trips to Japan. Really convenient. Unfortunately, it gives our friend Ludger some trouble.

No tickets for you.

How come?!

This man's travel privileges have been put on restriction. That's "how come". If I let him pass, I'll be in hot water.

Nova calls and she's up for gabbing. By the way, for another bit of Tales trivia, can anyone name what Ludger's ringtone is? I mean, I know what it is, but just want to check if anyone else knows.

Whoops! Looks like I forgot to read you the fine print about your loan. You know how Elympios manages personal information using GHS, right? Well, stuff like one's criminal record or debts can trigger travel restrictions. The trigger system was put in place to prevent debtors from trying to make a break for freedom. Pretty harsh, isn't it? Sorry you had to find out the hard way. But, it's only temporary! As you pay off your debt, the travel restrictions are gradually lifted. We'll figure it out. You'll be fine. Anyhow, toodles!

All right, c'mon. You're blocking the other customers. Sheesh. I wonder what trouble he got into. His life's over before it even started. Tough break.

Shut up, you big meanies! You don't know anything about it! Let's get outta here, Ludger!

We can look for work around town.

So yeah, I'm going to be LPing Student Debts: The Video Game, I hope you enjoy it.

Nah, the debt isn't *that* big of a problem in this game, mainly thanks to something we'll be introduced to pretty soon (as in, the very next scene). Besides, not to spoil too much, even though your debt is formally 20,000,000 gald, you DO NOT have to pay all that back to finish the game. I forget exactly how much you have to pay, but you'll be going through... I dunno, maybe 8-10,000,000 all told to actually finish the game? Something like that.

That's not to say something cool won't happen if you pay it all back, but yeah. You can formally say "I beat Tales of Xillia 2" after paying back only a certain percentage of the debt. Anyway, let's move on to the job mechanic.

After this skit, just move down the street, and...

Oh, hey! Over here! You guys looking for work?

You bet!

It's your lucky day. I've got jobs coming out the wazoo! I'm talking Spirius Corp. orders here, so you know each gig is a gald mine. At least, if you're not an amateur.

Worth a shot, right? We'll back you up.

Hmm...

Jude's such a nice guy. Ludger is the guy who signed the contract, so Jude technically has no obligation to help here. He could probably just catch a train and leave Ludger in the dust, but hey, that's not how Mr. Do-Gooder rolls.

So yeah, in a mechanic that seems to be only getting more popular in JRPGs in the last five years or so, we can take a variety of jobs as our primary money-making avenue (for really the entire game), and of course, for paying off our debt. You'll find a job board in every major city in this game, but in some cases it's a little more well-hidden than others. Because Duval is so small, here it is. In any case, let's take a look at the postings.

The game also explains it, but here's my lowdown on jobs in this game. First, all jobs fall into three specific categories: any job with a green exclamation point, these jobs usually have a specific cutscene (never voiced, from what I recall, and require certain people to be in the party to complete) or event attached to them for completing them, any job with a monster's head, simple bounty hunting, and any job with a blue bag is a gathering quest for specific item(s).

However, you cannot accept up to five jobs willy-nilly. First you need to see if you have the required level to take it. For example, Jolyne's Plea - Part 1 requires you to be at Wooden Badge level to accept / complete it. That's where the "Title" part comes in. Completing jobs gives you Merit Points (indicated in the job details box), and when you level up, you can accept higher-level jobs.

Now, while generic jobs (in white) cycle in and out, depending on how many you complete (and they refresh occasionally), jobs in the red color are special, and, I believe, will never go away until you complete them. For now, let's accept this job, Percise Measurement (1 Fossilized Shell), You On an Adventure? (defeat two Alest Chirpees), Grandfather Crab (1 Land Crab), and Defeat Alest Plant (defeat 3 of them, actually). Time to hit the bricks. Everything you need to complete all five can be found in the Alest Highroad, which is the only exit to Duval that we can take right now).

Yeah, so a lot of Xillia 2's locations are just trails like this that lead from one distinctive town to the next (in this case, from Duval to Trigleph).

I will probably include post-battle conversations as videos in the future. A lot of them are just too amusing not to include (in this case, it's Elle complimenting Jude's ability to dodge enemy attacks with Snap Pivots, before asking him rapid-fire questions about his abilities, and Jude concluding that Elle's questions seem to be the one thing he can't dodge).

Once you've completed a job (in this case, it's the crab one), you'll get this pop-up, which is the only indication I believe that you've completed a job. It's to this game's detriment, quite honestly, that you can't check the status of jobs from the menu, or, if you can, it's very well-hidden.

Oh, and the sparkle indicates a random material pick-up you can get for free. Only materials monsters in the area you're fighting drop, however.

Whereas this sparkle indicates Elemental Ores you can get. You'll get anywhere from 2-20 in this part of the game. Maybe it increases further into the game, can't remember.

And for bags someone very rudely left lying around everywhere, you'll get any number of basic consumables / cooking items (like, this one contained a Sandwich. I'll explain how cooking works a bit later), or small amounts of gald.

Skills are learned in the exact same way as artes, but instead of new moves, you buff your characters / change their abilities in any number of ways. Skills are divided into three categories: Parameter (indicated by a yellow arrow), Action (indicated by an orange man), or Linked (indicated by a purple heart). We don't have any of the third category at the moment, but the time will come, yes.

Character status screens contain all the typical information you might expect from a status screen, but there is one special thing with Ludger: checking the affection level of the entire party at a glance. Jude's almost at level 1, as you can see, with a maximum level (read: get all the benefits of that character's affection level), being a very distant dream at the moment).

Every now and then, a random monster in the field will be designated as a "Dangerous Monster" or something and be worth considerably more gald and experience for defeating. It's just the parameters, though, so Alest Plants, dangerous or no, are still first-rate chumps.

And, in many cases, there will be little tunnels on sides of the map. Be sure to comb trail areas like this from top to bottom, as caves usually have a nice little bonus in them.

Obviously, despite what this guy says, this guy is here to make sure the player can't sequence break. Funnily enough, there's actually not an invisible wall where these guys are. You can walk all the way past these guys to the Trigleph border, but you can't actually enter it. Anyway, whatever jobs you took on, between enemies and pickups, you should have completed most of them. If not, just do a little more grinding, and return to Duval.

I'm going to count this as a skit, but it activates under a certain condition: get Jude's affection to level one. So, how did I do this, without any choices to increase his affection since that first skit in Trigleph? Well, when you perform linked artes with a certain character, their affection level goes up by a minute amount, which is what finally put Jude up to level one for me.

Jude gives you a skill book that unlocks Assault Step, which, if turned on, lets a character's front step do a little damage and cause the enemy to flinch, which is pretty good for starting a combo off on, especially since you don't have much else to spend SP (Skill Points) on right now.

Of course, if you already have all the items and it's a gathering quest, you can turn in gathering quests as soon as you see them on the board.

Once you have enough money for a debt payment, Nova will automatically call you up and prompt you for payment. You don't have to pay her at first, but you can't stockpile too much money before she'll call you, and you can't back out until you do pay her. You can also call her up any time you want by pressing L2. You can pay in one lump sum or spread out, but it's generally better to pay her all at once.

After this first payment, you can either continue the story, or continue paying more of your debt. There's really no point in doing the latter at this point in the story, but, if you do pay more than the required debt (you can earn extra money in-between the debt repayment and continuing the story), you can earn extra goodies (costumes and special consumables and such) that will be sent to Ludger's apartment's mailbox, where you can pick them up.

But, don't worry. There is absolutely no chance of you missing out on extras because you didn't pay enough at a certain point in the game, so don't worry about that at all. Anyway, the much smarter thing to do right now is head back to Trigleph via Duval Station.

There is one more job we can complete, but you can't from the job board. You need to get something from this girl before it counts.

Are you going to use those to make a present for your daddy?

Huh?! How'd you know? Who told?!

Well, you wrote it on the job description.

Oh! Well, yeah, I guess I did, didn't I? I'm gonna put some glue on 'em and make a warm muffler!

Oh, I made something out of feathers for my daddy too!

Hey, feathers is MY thing. Don't be a copycat!

I am NOT a copycat!

A mask? That's so weird!

It's not weird! My daddy said he liked it!

It IS TOO weird! Daddies don't wear masks!

It's NOT weird!

Look around! Do you see anyone here wearing a mask?

See what I mean? Your daddy's a weirdo!

He's not weird! My daddy...isn't a weirdo!

Hey, now, let's all...um... I mean... I-I made tons of masks for my dad back in school! And he wore every single one! Isn't that right, Ludger!

Y-Yeah!

Hm... Well, actually, my dad wore a mask to a festival once.

See?! My daddy's not weird!

Hey, so how do you know those two guys?

Oh, them? Ludger and Jude?

They're just a bunch o' weirdos.

Wh-What?!

Betrayed... Anyway, she hands over Girl's Job Report, which allows us to actually finish this job. NOW we're headed back to Trigleph.

It's like we never left. Anyway, neither choice matters this skit. However, I do like how Jude just casually drops "Oh yeah, we were fighting on a different plane of existence, not a huge deal when you're me."

Anyway, it's been a long day, so we're headed back to the apartment.

Home again

You live here, Rollo?

Well, Ludger kinda IS a freeloader, so...

Freeloader? That's like a deadbeat, right?

So, now what?

The cat's got a point. I think we're all running on fumes.

I'm with Elle on this one, and Elle's pretty passionate on the topic of tomatoes, so I'm siding with her on this one (increases her affection, you see).

Hmph, why're grown-ups so hot on tomatoes, anyway? My daddy likes them, too.

Pretty much how I feel.

Then again, I'm pretty much the only person on this planet who dislikes tea, coffee, tomatoes, and bacon. It's lonely here at the top of the "taste in food" pyramid.

There's a few things to find in Ludger's room / apartment. Investigating the fridge gives you some cooking materials (as it should, really).

Ludger's desk gives you this. Guess Ludger has retro tastes, and that's cool. A treasure chest just behind Ludger has a Cape in it (which is, sadly, not a fashion accessory), and his closet has his pajamas in it, which is the outfit I'm currently wearing. Let's go make some drat food already.

Thanks, Ludger.

It's sooo yummy!

I feel like I'm eating at a restaurant.

Hey, you cook as good as my daddy.

Speaking of your father, Elle, do you know where he is?

No... Some scary men came to our house. I ran away by myself... That's why I'm going to the Land of Canaan! So I can wish for my daddy to get rescued from those guys!

Mr. Bakur! I'm glad to see you're okay.

I'm one of the lucky ones.

Whoa! Was he there in the corner the whole time?

No way.

Surprised, phony?!

Ivar...

Hahaha! You're quite an amusing little fellow, aren't you, Ivar. I could use a comic genius as one of my junior agents.

Thank you, sir.

What's this all about?

You haven't been watching the news, I take it.

New details have emerged about the terror attack, during which a train was hijacked and then crashed into the Oscore Plant.

More than 2,000 casualties were reported, including passengers and employees alike. Damages are said to exceed 10 billion gald, and experts estimate a final cost of at least 50 billion. Authorities identified the alleged mastermind behind the attack.

What the? But Julius couldn't have--

Couldn't have what? He attacked me at the scene of the crime, for crying out loud.

The police believe Kresnik didn't act alone. They're investigating persons of interest.

Take a wild guess which person is the most interesting?

Ah, Tales of Symphonia callbacks. Good times.

Hey! Me and Ludger had nothing to do with those creeps!

So the suspect's brother just happened to start his job at the station on the day of the attack. Then he vanished with the suspect. Coincidence?

C'mon! You've gotta believe us!

If you're telling the truth, then prove it. Apprehend Julius. Then the facts are sure to come to light.

What?!

But... But the scary glasses guy...

...is alive and at large.

He contacted the CEO's GHS several hours ago.

He's one of my top agents and far too skilled to fall into police custody. Around his little brother, on the other hand...he just might let his guard down. Well, Ludger, what do you say? If you agree to catch him, I'll at least keep the police from getting in your way.

Yeah, I'm thinking ol' Bisley here is not exactly giving us an option. We might as well go along with reality, and increase his affection.

A decisive lad. You've made the right choice.

Ludger...

As of now, you are under Spirius Corporation's protection.

We have a pair of promising leads. First, your brother made contact with a researcher in Helioborg named Balan. Second, sources allege someone in Marksburg has been asking a lot of questions about Julius.

Balan?

How am I supposed to remember all that stuff at once, huh?

So you want us to check out Helioborg and Marksburg, is that it?

But...how're we gonna get there without money?

Bisley, Ivar, and the woman file out...

Ivar. You never told me you knew Dr. Mathis.

It's a long story. Hey, why're you going through all this trouble?

I know the surface of this man, but that is not enough. Now, I must measure his depth.

So yeah, we have another skit, but I guess I should explain who the hell Ivar is for people who didn't play the first game. Like Jude mentions in this skit, Ivar was Maxwell's, then known as Milla, handmaiden, but quite frankly, he never did a particularly great job of it, and even acted in defiance of Milla's wishes on several occasions.

Ivar has a particularly strong dislike of Jude, and attempted to kill him several times. Now with Milla being on a different plane of existence, Ivar is out of a job, and I guess he hooked up with this bunch. He's mostly played as comic relief, but he'll be around for a while. The patience of Jude and Co. toward Ivar, however, is nothing less than saintly.

Anyhow, our debt payment this time is for 7000 gald. Might seem like a lot, but let's stop by the job boards to get started.

Kitty Krisis

Ludger, she's crying! Go do something!

Oh, how embarrassing. Hi there, I'm Miss Kitty Catt. I moved in here with 100 of my lovable cats. But I didn't quite "land on my feet," as they say.

Let's go back a sec... Did you say... 100? Cats?

Why yes! But during the move, they all got outta the bag! They've run off! What am I to do? I'm "feline" so helpless...

I bet... D-Don't worry, it'll all be fine!

Can I ask you "fur" a favor? Would you purr-haps help find my babies? I'd be ever so grateful!

Will they get along with Rollo?

They're all very social! No need to be a fraidy cat!

You gotta find 'em! I just "cat" live without them! Well, my room's on the furst floor here. I'm just gonna take a little catnap until you get back. Please stop by if you find any of my babies! And remember, if "cat" first you don't succeed...try, try again! I "whisker" you the best of luck!

Let's go "meow" before she rubs off on us.

Y-Yeah...

Suddenly I feel very tired... Like all of my energy has been drained. I'll see you all next time...

Update 4 alternate choices compilation

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 31, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I agree with you about tomatoes, unless they're super fresh they're kind of gross.

Sylphid posted:

I know the surface of this man, but that is not enough. Now, I must measure his depth.
If you know what I mean.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 31, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Please, please tell me we get to punch Ivar in the face repeatedly and often.

loving Ivar and gently caress Ivar is what I'm saying.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's a riff from Eternal Mind, a song from Tales of Eternia, which is the game Reid Hershel, who was voiced by Sam Riegel in his cameo appearance in Tales of the Abyss, is the protagonist of.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

alcharagia posted:

It's a riff from Eternal Mind, a song from Tales of Eternia, which is the game Reid Hershel, who was voiced by Sam Riegel in his cameo appearance in Tales of the Abyss, is the protagonist of.

Ding ding ding! I do believe Ludger's ringtone is specifically from the Abyss remix of Eternal Mind. Abyss' cameo battle is *really* something you should only play on Hard and above. You're spitting in the game's face playing it on Normal.

By the way, based on your posts in the RPG Thread, I agree entirely with your thoughts re: Gaius, and I cannot bleeding wait until he joins our party. You better believe when the choice comes up, I'm going right for Gaius first..

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
You can totally check whether your jobs are complete from your menu! Just go to your Events List and check the Underway category. If you've met the requirements, it'll tell you to go back to the job board! ...I may have had to check that a lot since I've been playing way too much of this game lately.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sylphid posted:

Ding ding ding! I do believe Ludger's ringtone is specifically from the Abyss remix of Eternal Mind. Abyss' cameo battle is *really* something you should only play on Hard and above. You're spitting in the game's face playing it on Normal.

By the way, based on your posts in the RPG Thread, I agree entirely with your thoughts re: Gaius, and I cannot bleeding wait until he joins our party. You better believe when the choice comes up, I'm going right for Gaius first..

Personally I'd rather have Muzét, but that's just me.

Also, I forgot to ask where those portraits are from. Are they from the artbook? I'm not sure where mine is at the moment.

Mostly I used battle-corner and skit portraits since they're very clear, even if there might be some spoilers from which one of those an NPC is using.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Personally I'd rather have Muzét, but that's just me.

Also, I forgot to ask where those portraits are from. Are they from the artbook? I'm not sure where mine is at the moment.

Mostly I used battle-corner and skit portraits since they're very clear, even if there might be some spoilers from which one of those an NPC is using.

Fan art, actually. I was thinking of using the characters' when they're in Anime Form (so, like the intro or anime cutscenes), but when I actually looked at the final product, I wasn't satisfied at all with them. Then I realized fan art would 1) give me nicer looking images, 2 ) cover more of the characters. I have yet to be disappointed.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Nova's happy face you chose made a lot of the debt talk funnier. She's so happy to saddle her friend with a large debt.

Honestly because of Nova, the debt system constantly encouraged me to use items and buy new equipment so Nova would be quiet. It seems like the opposite should be happening, but ih well.

Also, I feel odd abiut being able to recognize both cat lady and little girl's image in the update.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sylphid posted:

Fan art, actually.

Huh, that's definitely a thing I would not have considered.

I feel like the battle-corner and skit portraits look a lot better, but you're right that they're not 100% coverage.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, I was dreading this fight ever since I even thought of starting this thread, but my god is the Volt fight a load of crap. You take a boss from nearly the end of the first game, change nothing about him, and throw him at a pretty underleveled party. It wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if he was at least fairly easy to stagger, but nope. He just staggers when he feels like it.

And even THAT wouldn't be as much of an issue if he didn't have that goddamned move where he jumps up into the air and slams down three times. If you are anywhere NEAR the blast radius, buh-bye because, guess what, you get knocked to the ground by the first hit and you have no chance to recover at all before he hits you with the two follow up hits..

I say this with complete sincerity when I say this is the hardest fight in the entire game. It's just so unfair.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Xillia 1 had some sort of anti-stagger mechanic that made many boss fights a pain in the rear end if you boosted the difficulty, so I'd guess it's in Xillia 2.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm probably gonna grind three levels or so for everyone and then set the difficulty to Moderate, even though I wanted to beat this entire game on Hard.

No one who has experienced that fight can blame me for that one.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Sylphid posted:

Well, I was dreading this fight ever since I even thought of starting this thread, but my god is the Volt fight a load of crap. You take a boss from nearly the end of the first game, change nothing about him, and throw him at a pretty underleveled party. It wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if he was at least fairly easy to stagger, but nope. He just staggers when he feels like it.

And even THAT wouldn't be as much of an issue if he didn't have that goddamned move where he jumps up into the air and slams down three times. If you are anywhere NEAR the blast radius, buh-bye because, guess what, you get knocked to the ground by the first hit and you have no chance to recover at all before he hits you with the two follow up hits..

I say this with complete sincerity when I say this is the hardest fight in the entire game. It's just so unfair.

I hope you enjoy hearing Bubble SHOCKER over and over. I hated this battle. It really tests your comprehension of the Power Hits and managing your party if you want to make it not completely horrible and there's still lots of luck involved with reinforcements and party AI. I don't remember Xillia or Xilla 2 scaling amazingly with difficulty. The difference between Milla v Muzet on Hard and on Moderate being like Night and Day.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In debt to your eyeballs and wanted for terrorism.

I'm... I'm sure someone's had a worse first day on the job.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Glazius posted:

In debt to your eyeballs and wanted for terrorism.

I'm... I'm sure someone's had a worse first day on the job.
Yeah, at least he isn't, y'know, dead.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The debt mechanic got incredibly irritating to me when I started the game that I stopped playing it for a while.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part V: The Man Who Trusts

So, the crazy cat lady has vanished back into the apartment building (her room is on the first floor), and we've got to locate her feline companions all over the world. We can get started literally right in front of us with this first cat!

Once we have our first cat, we can access the Kitty Dispatch. You can put Ludger and Elle's skills as Kitty Hearders to the test by sending all the cats you've found all over the Tales of Xillia world: trails, dungeons, and towns. Basically, every location in the game has special materials (and even weapons!) that can only be acquired by your feline hordes. More cats = better chance of getting items / rarer items.

In addition to your standard odds of getting items, every day of the week has a special bonus attached to it.

So, everything except Area Bonus should be self-explanatory, and to be honest, I'm not 100% sure what it is, but I think what it means is that your odds of getting more / better items in respective areas is increased depending on the location the cats were sent. So, if the Area Bonus was for Elympios, and I sent my cats to Trigleph, better odds I'd get the rare item from that location. You get the picture.

Now, you can also retrieve cats by sending your cat horde to certain locations in the game (you can also press Square to determine how many cats you've found in a certain location. Trigleph has five, I believe). Cats upon cats. Also, if you find certain items, you can give them to the cats to have them return faster / better odds for rare items, which is what Travel Items are. But, without any modifiers, I think return time is 15 minutes. However, you can recall Kitties on a mission by withdrawing them before that time limit is up, but you won't get any items.

By the way, Ivar's bag there has a host of good items, including a new (better) pair of blades for Ludger. Courtesy of the Spirius Corporation.

Anyhow, moving on from the bizarre collectathon of this game, let's start getting some work in. The commercial district is on the opposite exit from Trigleph park from Ludger's apartment building, and the job board is right in front of you.

So, our target payment for now is 7000 gald, and further in the game, the complaint about this game it's too much work to make debt payments is made nearly trivial by the presence of Elite Monsters. These bad boys give you a TON of gald if you bring them down, and each is worth a significant percentage of your required payment to continue the game.

As it happens, this sucker is right outside Trigleph city limits, so let's take this one. Elite Monsters show up in the world just as soon as their existence is made apparent on the job board, so it doesn't actually count as a job.

On the other hand, a lot of requests throughout the game will basically tell you where Kitty Cats are. In this case, there's one in Duval, Alest Highroad, and Trigleph Station (the job says the cat is in Trigleph, but the description mentions the owner hoping the errant beast isn't bugging station employees). Easy money.

The overgrown scorpion is in the first map area outside Trigleph, so let's see what's so "elite" about him.

Scorpion King

So, all elite monsters operate under different rules. Some of them are fairly straight fights, under admittedly gigantic proportions, some of them are extremely gimmicky. This guy is kind of a mix between the two. First of all, he likes to burrow, like, a lot. And the AI doesn't deal with burrowing foes very well. So, more often than not your AI partner will at least take chip damage from them, whereas a human would (hopefully) be smart enough to just run to the opposite side of the field.

Now, it's a good thing it's just a 2 vs. 1 fight, because he has a pretty long reach with his basic attacks, and they quickly add up. If you're in trouble, just back off (the AI will follow you if you've selected Act Together), and use Healer.

Now, the gimmick with this guy is he's very hard to combo. Whenever you stagger him and you think you've got something going, he'll burrow out and break it. Here's how you beat that: target his weak point, indicated by those crosshairs. If you do enough damage to that crosshair area, it'll stun him severely and you'll be able to pound him into dust while he's down.

He'll recover eventually, but then you just pound him again. Since you have no offensive spells or really any moves with range, the only way to effectively target that area with Jude is to use Demon Fist.

If you do it right, you'll get a quick zoom-in, and the scorpion will collapse. After about 15 seconds, he'll get back up, but you gotta knock him right back down.

If you're low on TP, but don't want to waste a recovery item to get some back, you can taunt by pressing L3. Your character will do a short little animation, and you'll get 5% TP . Some skills can get you more back, but that's not for a long time. If an AI character is low on TP, they'll run off and taunt for a bit to get more back.

That was a pretty rough fight, but a win's a win.

By the way, Ludger just got the negative status Guard Break or something. Just means if he tried to block any hit, his guard would get instantly broken. Solution? Don't guard, just run. Elemental attacks, like the damage the scorpion does when it jumps out of the ground (Earth, in this case), have a chance of inflicting a status element on the target. Luckily, we can also do that to the enemy.

You done good work here, boys.

While we're in the neighborhood of a random Sandwich pickup from a bag, this is how cooking works in this game. In Tales games past, the way cooking worked was that you gathered a wide variety of ingredients, and characters could cook meals after battle to restore HP / TP / various benefits, and there were all kinds of variables involved. Much simpler in the Xillia games.

You just use a cooking item, such as this Sandwich, and the effect is automatically applied at the end of the battle. Couldn't be simpler.

But before you head back to Trigleph to collect on your investment, make sure to pick up the kitty cat. Also, while cats are hidden all over the place, you know you're getting close if you hear an occasional meow. Of course, I'll have all cat locations as screenshots, so I guess it don't matter...

Honestly, if the game wasn't telling us where this one was, and cats didn't meow, this would be one of the harder ones to find.

Then again, if the cats didn't meow this sidequest would be hell.

A Simple Question

Skit upon returning to Duval (neither choice matters. I picked L1 to scare Elle). I really like Rollo's "resting" and "angry" portraits. Now where's that cat...

Ah, of course. Up the fire escape near the job board. Hm, that cat, Luke, looks a little familiar...

You can view the appearance of all the cats you've found from the Kitty Dispatch menu. In cases where cats have the same name as a Tales character, they'll usually have said character's colors. In this case, Luke was the protagonist of Tales of the Abyss, had black pants, a white coat, and red hair. Hence, the cat's appearance.

But they can't even commit to that! Suzu was the name of the final party member in Tales of Phantasia (from the PSX version on, but she was a supporting character in the OG Tales of Phantasia for the SNES). The cat Suzu in this game, however, has a pure white coat (she was the cat we found in Trigleph Station). Phantasia Suzu looks like this.

Yeah, no resemblance whatsoever. Incidentally, at 11 years old, Suzu is the youngest party member in Tales history yet, which is kinda impressive for her at least. And anyway, Suzu was one of my favorite party members in Phantasia. I'm not giving any crap to anyone who can summon a giant toad and throw explosive ninja stars. Anyhow, onwards and upwards. After turning in all the requests to put me well over 7000...

So, you have a choice which area to proceed to next, and remember, we were asked to go find out information about Julius in both areas. Now, while it's impossible to know this your first time through unless you've read a guide, if you go to Helioborg first, you'll get an extra scene starring Jude that you can't get if you go to Marksburg first. There is no equivalent scene going Marksburg -> Helioborg, so the latter it is.

Now, just a word of warning, you're gonna have to start taking this game's difficulty much more seriously once you arrive in Helioborg. On the whole, this is not an overly difficult game, but the difficulty spike for Helioborg is just bananas.

Now, since Helioborg is a research facility located on the outskirts of Trigleph, there's no train leading to it, so you're gonna have to hoof it to get there. This is the exit to Torbalan Highroad, which will take you there.

Again, a kind of dreary Elympios locale with soft music and low-level enemies. You'll forgive me if I kinda skip past this part, since it's just more low-level fighting. I will mention, though, the enemies here are considerably more dangerous than the ones in Alest Highroad, and that you should take on some jobs for enemies / items encountered here from the job board before you make the trip. Let's just say it'll be a while before you can turn those in, however.

Oh yeah, since it was pointed out to me in the thread, you CAN check on the status of jobs taken from the Event List tab in the Library, including how much progress you've made toward each one. So, it is there, it's just well-hidden.

So, after more uneventful exploring, here we are. Again, just be aware Helioborg is actually really hard, and you have to start fighting for keeps now. Anyhow, let's see what this Balan feller is up to...

Situation critical

What happened here?

Jude! I-I didn't realize it was you! Well, you see...

drat it. Someone really did a number on the security system. No way I can fix this by my--

Well, if it isn't the honors student. Great timing.

Alvin fills us in on what's going on during a fade to black...

Exodus has hijacked the facility's security system?

Yeah, which trapped a bunch of Rieze Maxian goodwill ambassadors.

Balan was showing 'em around, so he's there, too.

Balan? We have to save him!

You'll give us a hand?

Yes. We have some business with Balan.

Ludger, was it? Y'know this is all more of Exodus' handiwork. I used to count myself among their members. Still wanna trust me?

I'll introduce Alvin a bit more this scene, but let's just say L1 predictably raises his affection, and is the choice I'll be making.

Heh. You really are one of Jude's friends, aren't you?

What about you, Alvin? Aren't you one of Jude's friends?

Tough to say...

Yes he is. And he knows it.

Well, he seems pretty sketchy to me.

Kid's got a good head on her shoulders.

Let's break this down. Where are Balan and the tour group being held captive?

Up on the Development Wing.

So, Alvin's deal is that he was the first guy who Jude and Milla met at the end of the intro to the first game. As I mentioned, he originally appeared to them as a freelance mercenary, showing them the ropes on how to survive when you're on the run, but it quickly became clear he had, let's say, shifting loyalties. Alvin was a member of a prominent Elyimpion family prior to an incident that involved a cruise ship he was on being sent to Rieze Maxia during a dimensional incident that caused it to get trapped here.

He was one of Exodus' agents in Rieze Maxia, but developed something of an affinity for Jude and his do-gooder ways during his time with his group. This was complicated by he and one of the Four Chimeriad (which was a group of four misfits and weirdos who were united solely by their desire to serve King Gaius) being romantically involved with each other, which led Alvin to a severe deficit in trust with everyone he was involved with. Basically, he was playing all sides of the field at one point or another.

After a lot of dramatics, however (involving, but not limited to, a boss fight between him and Jude at a critical point in the first game's story), he decided to renounce ties with Exodus, sever his relationship with the Chimeriad, and fight alongside Jude to the very end. We'll be hearing a lot more about what ol' Alvin's been up to since later this game, so stay tuned.

If the above brief biography reminds anyone of Kratos Aurion from Tales of Symphonia (a self-described mercenary with a complicated relationship to the main party and main bad guy group), Namco was aware of that as well and decided to make Alvin's callback Tales costume none other than Kratos' Judgment threads (ignoring the fact they have similar builds, however).

Actually, there's a funny Tales costume loop going on with Alvin, Kratos / Zelos, and Ludger. Alvin has a Kratos costume, but in the PS3 version of Symphonia, Kratos gets a Ludger costume. Meanwhile, Zelos gets a Xillia 1 Alvin costume (which I personally think is the best Zelos costume), which, again, given Alvin's history, fits Zelos pretty well. I wonder if that was intentional.

Alvin in-combat very much resembles the traditional tank in an RPG party. He's slow, heavy, packs a punch, and has a lot of HP. His special ability is Charging his artes. When Alvin performs a simple arte, let's say Tiger Blade (one of the moves he starts with), as the player, continue holding down Circle. Alvin will charge for like 2-3 seconds, and then his blade will have a blue blow, as indicated by this screenshot.

When Alvin is Charged, the next arte will be powered up or changed in some fashion. For example, Tiger Blade is a Tales staple, which involves a quick slash up, then right back down. Charged, Tiger Blade changes to Tiger Rage, which has the slash up, a slash in mid-air, and then a slash right back down. As you might expect, you're vulnerable during the Charge, and, once you've used a Charged arte, you need to perform a normal one to Charge again. Charge.

When it comes to his sword-based artes, Alvin has a lot of Tales Protagonist classics, like Sonic Thrust, Tiger Blade, Demon Fang, etc. He also this move, Guardian Field, which was introduced in Abyss, I think, in which he creates a field of energy where he restores the HP of allies and hits with Light-elemental damage on any enemies tha wander into it. Charged, this becomes Guardian Grove, which is basically the same thing but better (longer range and more hits, I believe).

Gunslinger

Extra costumes in this game will frequently change the in-battle music. While color variations on their normal outfits won't change the music (like Ludger here is using), Jude is currently using a color variation on his Xillia 1 duds (which changes the battle music to Xillia 1's generic battle music), but Alvin's is a bit more interesting. It changes it to a remix of The End of a Thought, which was the music that played over the final battle with Kratos in Symphonia. There are a few special cases, however.

Oh, and if you multiple characters in-battle have music-changing costumes, then the precedence is determined by that character's position on the party roster. First character to have a a music-altering costume in the party list gets their music.

After the battle...

Looks like I'm bailing you guys out in the nick of time!

That guy again?!

You call that a hero's welcome? I even brought you guys these wonderful toys.

Gah! I thought the safeties were on!

Look who's talking.

Now for some target practice. Shoot first and ask questions later!

So, we're now introduced to a hugely important mechanic for Ludger, and part of the reason which makes him the best (gameplay-wise, at least), party member, Weapons Switching. Now, it says to use L1 + R2 to change, but that's a pretty awkward button combo to press to switch weapons, so just ignore the game and use L1 + R1. Much simpler. To switch back to the twin blades, just press L1 + R1 again.

Now, while Ivar is weak to Gun damage, it would make for a pretty boring fight if I were to just sit in a single spot and pelt him with gunfire until he dies. Instead, I'm going to introduce Weapon Switching combos (the video is much more instructive as to how I'm making this work).

So, first of all, start with just an unaltered gun hit to start the Power Combo. Ludger also has different basic attacks with his guns, just like with his swords, but simple is good in this case. Once the Power Combo starts, quickly switch to the blades. The game will pause for a split second while Ludger switches, whereupon you want to hit him with a standard sword hit (to add Slash damage), then Azure Edge to add Wind.

Then, switch back to the Guns, and add Bubble Blast to the mix to get a full (for now) combo on poor Ivar here. You'll run out of AC by this point, but them's the breaks.

Finally, switch back to the blades. The reason you want to do this is because while you have the guns out, Ludger moves very slowly. I think maybe half as fast as with the blades, and that would be a generous estimate. Ivar can throw out some VERY quick moves on you, and combo damage can quickly add up. The blades will allow you to get out of the way very fast and recharge AC for another combo.

And no, switching weapons does not use AC. Also, weapon switching will eventually allow Ludger to be one of only...three, I think, party members who can hit all 9 elements by themselves. One is Ludger, the other we won't be seeing for quite some time, and the third is *I think* Alvin, but don't quote me on his ability to do that.

On the plus side, however, when you have the guns out, your sidestep is replaced by a rolling dodge (doesn't that screenshot look cool?), and the arte Rolling Thunder also involves a quick combat roll into a few bullets, so you have to make use of dodging effectively to avoid damage if you use the guns a lot.

Ivar's Phantom Surge can be thrown out nearly-instantly and hit from a long range, so you need to be super careful of him, even at range.

Ivar, quite honestly, is a pretty bullshit boss, just because he has so much health, is quite dangerous, and you have too little HP, but if he were the worst of the boss fights in Helioborg, it would be a vastly superior world.

Also, despite the fact this is a tutorial, you can retry straight into this fight if you lose, so that means he kills you if you lose. I'm gonna chalk this up to Ivar being a dumbass and going over the line in terms of what he should be doing. Remember, we're helping out Bisley and the Spirius Corporation, so for what reason at all would he want to kill us?

Anyone else'd be dead by now.

You okay there, Ivar?

Hmph... Better than some phony who keeps sticking his nose into everyone's business. ....

Ivar limps off...

Mr. Handmaid's as charming as ever.

The way you approach an enemy pre-battle can determine certain things about the battle. If you get behind an enemy and touch them from behind, every enemy will lose a certain amount of HP. On the other hand, if an enemy touches you from behind, your party will start off surrounded by the enemy. Not actually a huge problem.

Ludger's guns are going to be pretty mandatory for this part of the game in starting Power Combos. The robots and Exodus goons are all weak to gunfire, and that's where you get started.

So Helioborg is kind of a maze, just because everything looks basically the same. Once you exit into the paths that look like these, head right and fuss your way around through enemies and the occasional locked door. If you see this area, you're on the right track. Alternatively, if you get lost, you can always press Square to bring up a map of the current area and get yourself on the right track.

Watch out!

The magical girl

Phew... That's the last of them.

Elize!

Little buddy's here, too!

Wait. So those goodwill ambassadors were actually...

Yeah. My classmates and I were picked to represent Rieze Maxia.

Meet Elize and Teepo.

She is a cute kid, if I do say so myself. Predictably raises her affection level.

By the way, Elle gets mad at us for that, but I'm just stating facts here!

Ludger is one smooth talker. So, Jude... Are these friends of yours?

Hey there! How ya doing?!

Aw, Teepo's not going to hurt you. Play nice, okay?

Okay!

Maybe later.

Elize, what happened to your friends from school?

We all got attacked real sudden-like!

Elize was so brave. She got all her classmates into a room that was safe.

What about Balan?

He got all the bad guys to chase after him so the rest of us could run and hide.

I betcha he's still on top of the Development Wing. Yeah.

Yeah. So I came down here to call for help.

Can you lead us?

Of course!

A lightning crash...

What's the matter, Elle? Are you afraid of thunder?

No! As if!

Oh great! Now what did we do?!

Did you feel that?

There's no need to be afraid... I mean...because...

I'm not afraid! Thunder is just the Great Spirits going bowling!

Um, that's the wrong way.

I-I knew that!

Oh brother. Looks like we need to help her out before she wanders into a robot or something. Anyway, moving on.

We're just plowing through the Xillia 1 recruits, eh? Although she may not look like it, Elize is the weirdest member of the first game's party, and that's all because of Teepo, that doll that can fly around and talk.

Except, while Teepo IS a doll, he's what's referred to as a Booster. Teepo is something that boosts Elize's latent abilities, while Elize's mind generates what Teepo needs to function. Essentially what that means is that Teepo is not a separate existence from Elize. Everything that comes out of Teepo's mouth is what Elize is currently thinking. So, all of Teepo's smartass comments are coming from Elize's mind. But, at the same time, Elize will talk to Teepo as if he's sentient (and she and everyone else in the party knows the truth, as revealed by one of her subplots in the first game). It's...a little disconcerting if you think about it, but not to worry: this game barely acknowledges that and essentially treats Elize and Teepo as two separate characters. But, that is how it works.

Battle-wise, Elize is a strange beast. At first glance, she's basically a white / black mage, with a large number of healing / support spells, and a large number of Dark-elemental spells at her disposal.

However, by taunting with Elize, you can switch to have the doll either on Elize's shoulder (to support her spirit artes), or floating around her (to execute physical artes). That's formally called Teepo Switching, and it counts as Elize's special ability. The problem with a lot of Elize's artes, however, is they're pretty slow / not particularly powerful. So, I'd advise keeping Teepo on her shoulder for now, because her primary healing spell, Healing Circle, is invaluable at this point in the game.

Elize's support ability is Teepo Drain, which, as you might expect, is a vampiric skill that steals HP / TP from an enemy every...let's say 20 or so seconds and gives them to Elize's partner.

Speaking of support abilities, Alvin's is Breaker. Basically, if you and Alvin are attacking an enemy, and said foe is blocking, Alvin will smash right through their guard and stun them, giving you a chance to launch a combo. Thanks to his mix of gun / swordplay, Alvin can also break guards at range if his AI decides on it. It's *really* useful, especially against bosses.

I wandered off for a bit and ended up back in the Development wing, where I entered Helioborg from. The target is the Research wing, and we're currently headed.

Unfortunately, electrical problems all over the place, so the elevator will only take us to the 10th floor. You'll have to head up to the roof from there by foot. That's alright, though, since various siderooms have goodies for us, and trust me, we're going to need every advantage for the boss.

Ultimate showdown!

The block puzzles are not exactly brain drains, but there are some good skits on the way: Alvin and Elize (L1 increases Alvie's affection), and The Terror Group, Exodus.

One really cool thing about Tales costumes is that the characters will frequently use memorable lines from the characters they're cosplaying as for win quotes. In this case, Alvin is using Kratos' famous "Feel the pain...of those inferior beings...as you burn in hell!", but he also has a couple other famous Kratos lines.

Once you've made it to the 13th floor, one of the siderooms will look like this and the door to Ludger's right will lead to the roof. Final heads up: BE PREPARED. This upcoming fight is, in my opinion, the hardest fight in the entire game. I would say, don't try to fight this boss before you hit level 11, at the minimum.

Shock therapy

What the heck is that?

It's the spyrite Volt!

I remember that tingly feeling!

So they recreated it?!

We can't even control it!

Rollo!

Volt Volt Volt.......

How should I say this... I'm not a fun of Gun Ivar, but this is the grand champion of bullshit Tales bosses. I can't imagine a worse series of design decisions that ended up going into an otherwise VERY good game.

First, a little backstory. Volt was one of the very last bosses in Xillia 1, and thus, his strength made sense at that point of the game. You had plenty of everything to help fight him, even without the Power Combo system. Here, instead, Power Combos are all you got.

First of all, since Volt just isn't powerful enough, he has two buddies with him at the start of battle. Take them out with Mortar Fire (use Bubble Blast when linked with Alvin for this puppy). Don't even think about controlling anyone other than Ludger this fight.

So, what makes Volt so bad? Well, aside from the mountain of HP (about 250% more than Ivar, adding up to 39k on Normal), he also can't be staggered very easily (but there is a trick that I discovered), and he has THIS. GODDAMN. MOVE. On very short notice, he'll jump up out of sight, then very quickly slam back down, up to three times. If you get hit by that first bounce, or the second, say goodnight to the character(s) that got hit. Volt will knock them on the ground, then hit you again before you can recover and get out of the way. Oh, and forget about blocking. If you try it, he WILL break your guard and trap you like a rat.

If you're lucky, you CAN knock him out of this move, or one of your AI allies can get a lucky shot, but I would not exactly count on that happening.

He'll also do this move, Vertical Shock, which is unblockable. But it's downright merciful compared for the previous move, and easily dodgeable just by running away from him. Of course, you kinda have to make a wide arc in retreat just so your braindead comrade doesn't run right into him. But, even then, it doesn't damage you that much.

Electric Whip, in spite of the name, is not an attack. It merely summons one of those robots from the start of the start, which are no stronger now than they were then. Again, just take it out ASAP, since the last thing you need is one more gun shooting at you.

Alright, so what's my trick to stagger Volt that I've had at least some consistant success with? Well, hitting him with Breaker. A good chance to attack the big boy here is to shoot him when he's casting a spell. There's a good chance he'll break off the spell to block, and there's where Alvin comes in. He smacks or shoots (as he's doing from off-screen in this shot) Volt and drops his guard, whereupon your guns will stagger him on the next hit. Then you can pull another Ivar combo and get some good damage in on him. Bonus points if Alvin is around and uses Guardian Field to add Light elemental damage and more to the multiplier. Rinse and repeat.

To be honest, though, even though it sounds very simple, Volt is just so unpredictable and your allies so poorly able to deal with Volt's myriad attacks, that it's a crapshoot. I saw one poor bastard on GameFAQs say Volt KO'd his entire party in five seconds. I had wanted to beat this entire game on no less than Hard, and by some friggin' miracle I managed to beat Volt on Hard on my first playthrough, and how I did that, I have no idea. If you wanted to drop the difficulty to Moderate just for this one fight, well, I'm the last person in the universe who would criticize you for that call (seeing as I did just that for the sake of this LP).

To be honest, I *could* probably still beat him on Hard if I really threw myself at the attempt, but it just requires way too much luck and good playing to be truly worth it, and after about a cumulative hour trying to do just that, I just said to hell with it. What have I got to prove by beating Volt on Hard? Nothing in the slightest.

Anyhow, that's quite enough talk of terrible RPG bosses.

Error... Error... Soul... Contamination... Spreading.

Wait, souls spreading contamination?

Control...failed! Error!

Update 5 alternate choices compilation
Update 5 victory selection

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 6, 2016

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Seriously Ivar, why are you allowed to give a game over in the weapon tutorial fights?! Not cool making me redo that multiple times.

Agreeing with the fact Volt is an utter bastard at this stage in the game. Maybe if he came later after unlocking more skills/artes it would've been okay, but having barely anything at this point wasn't fun.

I am so glad you gave Alvin a pair of shades. He just doesn't look right without them.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Region Bonus increases the chance for cats to get any items by 20% period while searching in the designated country.

Sylphid posted:

Ludger is one smooth talker.

Pretty sure this is a line from Elle.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sharing is caring.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Sharing is caring.

This job is for a really rare item! I don't know if we'll find it through normal means...

Oh, can you make an outfit for Leia, since she'll be joining next time? Kinda on short notice, but I trust you.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I don't know who you're talking about, because that person is wearing a censor bar over their face and an afro-shaped blur filter over their mouth, I have no idea who that jacketless person with the awful bedhead is.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And then we wake up with a nine-figure debt for medical bills. Hey, eventually they have to run out of numbers, right?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Elympios is one hell of a cyberpunk dystopia. All it's really missing is a hacking minigame.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Can confirm that Alvin is one of the ones that can hit all 9 elements by himself. That, coupled with his Charging, made him one of my favorites to play as.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Weeble posted:

Can confirm that Alvin is one of the ones that can hit all 9 elements by himself. That, coupled with his Charging, made him one of my favorites to play as.

Yeah, to be honest, Alvin doesn't really come into his own for quite some time. At this point in the game, all things being equal, of course, Alvin is just not that great in-battle.

But once he can stack Charges and Charge very quickly, then he becomes much more entertaining and useful in combat.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Suggestion: At the end of the update, show a little update on what artes and skills they gained, as well as artes upgraded and new possible Link Artes? A occasional side update to show off new artes, both normal and linked, wouldn't go awry either. Like this:

: Gained Dragon Swarm, Homing Shot, Arc Fire
Demon Fang Lv. 3, Tiger Blade Lv. 2
Linked Artes:
Jude: Demonic Chaos
Ludger: Mortar Fire, Bullet Fiesta
Elize: Pow Blade

Junpei fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 12, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VI: The Woman Who Reports

Medical treatment

Rollo! He's hurt bad!

Don't worry, kid! We're professionals.

He'll be fine.

You know... I hate thunderstorms.

What?

Some scary stuff happened to me during a thunderstorm.

Don't tell anyone, but I think thunderstorms are scary, too.

The air gets all tingly and weird, right?

Yeah.

But how in the world did they gather the resources to recreate the spyrite Volt?

Balan would know. Let's head back to the roof.

Indeed... Well, Ludger doesn't feel like mentioning this, but we've seen this kind of thing before, right? Guess we might as well head back to the roof...

Oh, and a skit pops up right after. Oh, and all the chests you opened are refilled with different items, so do those very easy puzzles again for more goods.

Oh yeah, I hit about 20,000 gald thanks to 3000 in the chest I just opened, so here we go with our first non-mandatory payment, since we technically haven't finished the story content for this chapter.

Oh hey, in the room on the way to the roof, we have our next cat.

Oh, and just as a heads up: you cannot miss any Kitty permanently, so don't you worry about that.

The trouble with spyrites

Nobody's out here...

All clear, Balan. C'mon out.

Your hiding spots haven't changed since we were kids.

Balan finding his way back down, somehow, later...

We never even considered recreating Volt, much less tried to actually pull it off. Honestly, we're still having trouble controlling spyrites at all. We'd be insane to try tackling a Great Spirit.

The tingly guy really was here, right?

Yeah. What the hell was it, then?

Hm, well, I've introduced spyrites before, but hey, let's ask Balan about them. Seems like the guy who could explain a bit more, and I doubt he knows much about Julius...

Well, gaining total control over lesser spirits is possible in theory. But it doesn't really work.

We still have a lot to learn about them.

There's no need to rush. She granted us a reprieve, didn't she?

Referring to Milla, of course. After becoming Maxwell, she's done something or other to increase the life span of spirits from dying off because of spyrix.

Yeah, but it won't last forever.

So...what can you tell us about this Julius guy?

I dunno... He really loves tomatoes?

Balan...

Sorry. Look, I haven't seen the guy in six months. I was shocked as anyone when I heard about the train hijacking.

Do you have any idea where he might have gone?

Like to Canaan, right?

Canaan, huh? I think he mentioned the place, actually, but I don't remember the details or anything.

It is a sacred place, where souls go to be purified and reincarnated.

Muzet?

Oh, Muzet making an early appearance!

What is that?!

The Spirit Muzet.

She's Milla's big sis!

What are you doing in our realm?

Milla's...vanished.

Wait, what?

Something was amiss with the soul-purification process. Or so she said. But I lost contact with her after she used my power to exit the spirit realm.

So she's here in the human realm?

Indeed, she should be, but... I guess you haven't seen her. Surely, she would have sought you out if she could. I hope she's all right. I must find her.

Muzet buggers off...

Well, now what?

What's-it-burg! Someone's hunting for scary glasses guy there!

Do you mean Marksburg?

Please, let me come with you.

This is no field trip we're going on, princess... Shouldn't you stay in school?

But, but...if Muzet's here in the human realm, the danger level must be off the charts.

I want to whatever I can to help, that's all.

Count me in, too. Well, y'know, whenever I'm not swamped with work.

The're so many of us now!

But, obviously, it's time to pay back more of our debt to get to Marksburg in the first place (ignoring the fact I can pay the required amount right now, but I'm not, because that would leave me with like 67 gald). Now, we need to return to Trigleph to get started, and the trip back there is boring, unless you talk to this guy. He'll mention a special escort is available for people going from Helioborg to the city. What this means is "Free warp".

As soon as you get back to Trigleph, a Nova scene...

It'll come in super-duper handy if you use it right.

What is it?

It's a family heirloom! My uncle bought it off some home-shopping show, but it ended up gathering dust in the closet. What a waste! Am I right?

So family heirloom's just a fancy word for trash?

Ahahaha... I'm sure Ludger will put it to good use, though.

I...wouldn't count on that, Nova. Auto-Items, I mean, you can set rules for them, but I prefer to use items strategically. The AI is set up to use Gels at the drop of a hat, and before you know it, your stock of items will be all gone. When items can easily be replaced with gald, it's not a big deal, but for now, it is. You can turn off, on, or alter Auto-Item rules in the Strategy tab.

The Rusalle Highroad is the other exit from Helioborg, which leads to the dungeon Tatalian Abyss and the special location Dimensional Breach. You can imagine we'll be going to those locales in the future, but they are WAY out of your league right now. However, it would still be wise to at least make the exit from Helioborg just to open it for Kitty Dispatch. Not a big deal if you don't, however.

Another tough guy, eh? Remember the debt payment is 10000 gald. Victory in this fight more than pays for that. Elite Monsters are just the best.

And here we go.

Veywind Eye

Compared to our last wonderful boss, this guy is EASY. The only thing she has going for him are the somewhat long range of his claws, his two buddies (who get replaced quickly when they die, but they're not infinite), and his large amount of health.

Reason is, is because EVERY elemental attack against him is a Power Hit. Start of with any elemental arte, and everything after is a Power Hit as well. You can very nearly stun lock him, and there's not much he can do about that.

On the flip side, however, he takes no damage whatsoever from combos starting with non-elemental attacks.

For his allies, the situation is the opposite. Elemental attacks do nothing initially, but a non-elemental strike will start the Power Combo. They're also quite easy to defeat.

Oh yeah, and he also has the same weak point gimmick that the big scorpion did. Still, it's just harder to hit, since he moves around a lot and his body is so large.

One big reason I like this game's battle system quite a bunch? Status effects work, even on bosses! It's just so rare to see, it's like a miracle when it does show up in an RPG. Of course, you won't see this against higher level enemies, but y'know, it's nice to see.

Oh hey, I'm controlling Ludger now. Yep, if you hold L1 and press the D-pad in the direction of the character you want to control, it'll switch control over to them instantly. It's one thing to combine a bunch of Linked Artes in one Over Limit. It's quite another to switch characters mid-combo and control it.

Honestly, though, I've never done this. But just you wait!

Oh please, I didn't have that much trouble with this.

Returning to town...

Jude has the honor of the first character story. Every playable character (except for Ludger, again), has a series of five chapters featuring some subplot involving them. Jude's is, as you might be able to guess, the trials and tribulations of making spyrites work. You'll get cool things and a lot of opportunities to raise character affections by completing these, so it is in your best interest to do them as soon as they come up, which is usually after a chapter's plot events are done, but before you continue the main story.

Trouble in Helioborg...again

I can't answer your call right now, so please leave a message.

So, Jude... Is that your girlfriend?

No, nothing like that. We're just old friends. I can't seem to get her on the phone.

You worried something's wrong?

No, she's probably just busy with work, like always. At least, I hope that's all it is... Did you used to play in this park when you were a kid, Ludger?

Ludger seems a sheltered lad, but even so, the park IS right outside his house. L1 it is, though, as you might imagine, neither choice matters.

Oh, right. Must've been nice. I was an only child.

Jude gets another buzz on his phone...

Yes?

Dr. Mathis, it's Mary! Those pushy people are skulking around the lab again. The one guy says he has a valuable spirit fossil. He's insisting that you trade him your device for it.

What? Did he say anything else?

Only that it's from one of the Great Spirits. Apparently he got it through "connections". I'd have Director Balan deal with it, but he's at an investors meeting right now. With just us here, we don't know what to do!

Stonewall him, Mary. You're in Helioborg now?

I am.

I'll be right there. Don't agree to anything he says, okay? And tell everyone else to do the same.

She sure talks loud.

Sorry. Guess you heard her. I have to go take care of that. That was one of the spyrite researchers in Helioborg. She seemed...a little worked up.

Ludger is a sheltered, but generous lad, so we'll be going with L1. With characters like Jude, it's pretty obvious in most cases what choices will raise his affections. Other characters can be a bit more unpredictable in what they do and don't like.

Are... Are you sure?

I'm going too!

Thanks. In that case, let's get to Helioborg.

So, for all Character Quests in the game, you have to have a select few party members with you at all times (in this case, it's Jude, but since we only have four party members at the moment, we couldn't change our party if we wanted to.

In the party ledger, any character with a padlock next to their portrait means a party member who is important to the story of the chapter and can't be removed from the active party. Ludger is a special case, however. On your first playthrough, he can't be removed from the active party at any point in the game. Once you've defeated the final boss, however, and started the post-game or a New Game+, the padlock is removed from his entry and you can swap him in and out as you please.

Oh, and about this screenshot. I got bonus items as a result as my early payment and it was promptly delivered. I got Kitty Crisps (reduces Kitty Dispatch time), the Mosquito Skill for Ludger (do 1 damage with every attack. Only really good for getting large combos without killing the target).

Gee, thanks Spirius.

And there it is, mandatory debt payment and notification I can go to Marksburg and continue the main story.

Don't mind if I do.

Oh hey, getting distracted by shiny objects helped me out.

Anyway, here we are again. To complete this first character chapter, just head back to the 13th floor lab of the Research Wing again.

After doing just that...

Laying down the law

It's a win-win. I don't see why you even need to bother Dr. Mathis with this.

L-Look, for the last time, our answer is no.

You sure about that? I've heard a few things about this lab, you know. Your research is dead in the water without this. Am I wrong?

Dr. Mathis!

I'm Jude Mathis. Sorry to keep you waiting. How might I help you today?

Ah, Dr. Mathis. Just the man I wanted to see. I've got an offer you can't refuse. It's about that device of yours.

I already told you. It's still undergoing clinical trials. We're not ready to accept any offers.

But I heard you've achieved a success rate close to 80% with lesser spirit-class spyrites. That's good enough for practical use. Sign an exclusive distribution deal with us, and you'll find yourselves on Easy Street.

We'll decide when the device is "good enough". A 20% failure rate just doesn't cut it.

Is that so? You're certainly cavalier about your lack of progress. I know how much money has been sunk into this project. Investors aren't exactly the patient type. Of course, I didn't come to a contract negotiation empty-handed.

A Great Spirit... Celsius, perhaps?

Yep. The genuine article, wielded by the leader of Exodus himself.

Former leader, that is. The leader of Exodus, a man by the name of Gilland, was a major boss battle in the first game, when the party raided his vessel with help from Gaius and friends and defeated him. He used Celsius to try and even the odds, with poor results. He also happened to be Alvin's uncle.

Celsius' fossil sank to the bottom of the sea a year ago, in the ruins of the E.S.S Zenethra. The Rieze Maxian government conducted the salvage operation of the Zenethra.

I believe that makes this fossil the property of Rieze Maxia. How'd you end up with it?

.... You certainly know your stuff, Dr. Mathis.

Perhaps it's time for you to leave.

I know when I've worn out my welcome. I'll bid farewell for today. But I hope you'll give my proposal some thought. For the sake of your research.

Don't forget...that.

Consider it a gift. Although you didn't get it from me, of course. Catch my drift?

Take a guess.

I'm fine, thanks. I'm sorry you had to deal with that guy.

Oh, no... I'm totally okay! Thank you so much for coming, Dr. Mathis. Thanks to all of you.

Mary, would you put this in safekeeping for me? I don't know if it really is what he claims, but why take any chances?

Of course. I'll inform Dr. Balan as well.

Thanks, Mary. Let's go.

Back down we go...

Jude's sorrow

Sorry for getting you mixed up in this.

Sometimes you'll get choices that are obvious when it comes to raising a character's affection, sometimes it's much harder to tell. In this case, it's the latter, but L1 increases his affection. Because I didn't know that, I chose R1.

They're getting less subtle with each attempt. We need to figure out how to deal with these guys. I get where they're coming from, but... We just need more data before we can begin full-scale implementation. If we could begin testing it with Great Spirits... No, forget I said that. We can't rush into things unprepared.

However, this should be obvious, as well as being my choice.

Yeah, you're right. We're too close to our goal to risk going off the rails now. It's just that sometimes I lose sight of my convictions. Then I don't know what to do.

Jude...

Thanks. I'll keep looking for an answer. It's out there somewhere. Thanks for coming along, Ludger. It felt good to have some back-up.

Jude's a total dork, and we love him for it.

Back in Trigleph, I accepted a quest called What Could Have Been, where you have to deliver a Tomato Omelette (Small) to a dude at the train station. Let's see what he has to say...

Thanks a million! I think I can make something new outta this dish.

You work here at the station, right? Are you gonna start serving these in the dining room?

Nah... I just started here. All I make are staff meals for the guys in charge If they like it, though, they might add it to the dining car menu or wrap some up for the lunch boxes at the station. That's how chicken gratin and stewed pork started off before they made it onto the menu...staff meals!

Sounds like such a fun place to work.

Oh, it is! But it's busy! We don't get much break time. They tell us the food we make is the source of economic stimulation in Elympios!

Hard to conduct business on an empty stomach. Well, their stomachs are in good hands.

I guess... I mean, I sorta failed the skills test when they interviewed me... But the guy they hired started a grease fire his first day, and they called me in to take his place! I guess we just play the hand fate deals us and try not to get burned in a grease fire along the way, huh?

Fate...

Something wrong, Ludger?

N-No.

I'm actually off today, but I thought I'd pop in and see if I could whip one of these up. Thanks again for our help. To pay you back, I'll let you try some of my cooking! See ya!

Man, in-between grease fires and terrorist incidents, the cafeteria at Trigleph Station seems a death sentence for solid, unexciting employment. Well, while we're in Trigleph Station (after turning in the report and getting the money, of course), let's continue on to Marksburg. We'll find where Julius is eventually!

Nice place, huh? Can't help but feel we've seen something like it before, though...

If she has a star over where she is, she has to be important. Let's see what she has to say, and what connection she to Julius...

As you might guess, depending on which place you visit first, Marksburg or Helioborg, that town's events becomes Chapter 4, and the second place becomes Chapter 5. However, gameplay-wise, you're definitely expected to come here first. Proof positive is coming right up.

The feline caper

Ah! Nothing to see here! Move along!

What the heck are you doing, Leia?

Jude?!

Leia!

Long time no see.

Elize! And Alvin, too!

Don't forget your pal Teepo!

Were you talking to that kitty?

Not exactly. I need to catch it for a special assignment.

I thought you were a newspaper reporter, Leia. What gives?

I told you. It's a special assignment!

In retrospect, I probably should have gone with R1, even though it wouldn't have raised Leia's affection. However, it is not to be.

Julius?!

Uh-huh. That's his name. Julius Catstantine the Third.

That's Julius?

Uh-huh. The third one, apparently. I've been asking all over about this cat.

So the person asking a lot of questions about Julius is Leia.

And this Julius hacks up hairballs. I give Spirius' intel an F, guys.

Now now, we musn't jump to conclusions. Conclusion 1, that may or may not be correct: our older brother, Julius Kresnik, wanted criminal, does not hack up hairballs. Conclusion 2, which also may or may not be correct: that Spirius did not intend for us to capture this cat. Bisley seems a cunning fellow, always two steps ahead of everyone else. For all we know this cat may be integral to whatever's going on.

Anyhow, thanks guys! This cat belogns to our biggest advertiser.

Oh, where're my manners? This is Ludger Kresnik.

My name's Elle. And this here is Rollo.

I'm Leia Rolando. It's a pleasure to meet all of you.

So this bit here, while Bonus Scene: Jude is in the upper left corner, is why I went to Helioborg first. The conditions for acquiring bonus content for normal story scenes is, without exception, I believe, from completing character story chapters before the next chapter's main story content starts.

Just for the record, if you get a scene without bonus content, there's no awkward cut or anything. The scene just proceeds as if the Bonus Scene content was never there.

Guilty as charged. We grew up together.

But not his girlfriend...

Hm? Is she your little sister?

Well, it is kinda her fault we ended up on that train in the first place, and led to this whole mess where we transform into an evil guy with a spear and fighting Great Spirits and our brother, but she's still around, isn't she? L1 it is, and as you might expect, it increases her affection.

Huh?! It is nothing like that! We have a strictly monetary relationship.

What?!

Then again, she does have a tendency to get Ludger in trouble like this.

Huh? So, Leia, are you a cat-catcher?

And after she says "Huh?" the Bonus Scene ends.

Huh?! No way! I'm a newspaper reporter! Think of me as a truth-catcher. It's an honorable job!

Speaking of, have you heard anything about the train hijacking?

That right there's the story of the decade. Last I heard, they put out a warrant for that Spirius bigwig... Julius Kresnik, I think? Wait a minute! Julius Kresnik?! Did you step into trouble again?

Uh-huh. Big trouble.

Like super-big trouble.

But Ludger is--

I know, I know... He's a friend of yours. C'mon!

Huh?

Duval. I have an informant there. She's super-duper in the know. So, I'll introduce you guys.

All right! Now we're getting somewhere!

I'm not sure where we're getting, but okay, I guess...

So Leia's not gonna need nearly a big introduction as Alvin did. Basically her story is she grew up in the same small town Jude did, and they've been friends since they were young. Leia has a definite crush on Jude, as evidenced by a few things in this game and Xillia (namely wanting to learn medicine because Jude was a doctor), but became a reporter seeing as how Jude definitely didn't feel the same (he's married to the job, you see, and helping out virtual strangers on a very bad day).

Oh yeah, and the cat ran off. Leia's not the most hyper competent of characters in this game.

Hammertime

Also, Elle mentions Ivar showing up before this scene pops up (when you try to leave Marksburg via the train station, which also happens to be the only way you can leave for now. You can try proceeding further in, but the way is blocked by rubble and a no go for now.

Actually, Ivar is pretty hard to see before this scene pops up, so the little lady has good eyes.

Take it from me, though. This world is nothing but one big litter box.

Ivar?

He's talking to What's-His-Name the Third!

Quick! Grab that cat for me!

Huh?!

And there it goes...

See that? Even the deadliest creatures run in fear of my mighty weapon! Don't be a 'fraidy cat!

Thanks...

Hmph. I betcha don't even know which end is up on that thing.

Ivar with the Revolver Ocelot "Throwing your sunglasses dramatically" thing and we're off to the second tutorial Ivar fight.

So Hammer Ivar follows basically the same rules Gun Ivar did, except he's way easier. This is the main reason I believe you were meant to come to Marksburg first. The hammer itself is about what you'd expect: slow to wind-up and attack, devastating when it does. It can frequently break an opponent's guard, and attacks in a circle around Ludger with his standard combo, but it provides the crucial third basic element for Ludger's arsenal.

So now, had we all of Ludger's artes, he could achieve our first full Power Combo, but obviously, we do not. As for weapon switching, the standard cycle is Swords -> Hammer -> Gun, looping around to Swords if you press the button a third time. However, you have the chance to set the weapons Ludger starts with in-battle in his equipment screen. Also, when it comes to moving speed, Hammer Ludger is basically the same as Swords, maybe just a *bit* slower.

There's not much to say about the fight itself, however. He's basically a much weaker boss than the Ivar we fought in Helioborg, so feel free to play around with trying to get a 300% combo now while you whittle down his HP.

Ugh... So you do know which end is which. But I'm warning you: Don't go swinging that thing around town! Some people have no consideration, I swear.

So Ivar's working here in Elympios.

What are you going to do about the cat?

I'll wrangle your furball. I've got some business to take care of here, anyway.

That sounds right up your alley, Alvin.

What is that supposed to mean? Ah, but if I use the little spud as bait, I'll catch that cat in no time.

Don't even think about it, little buddy!

Why do you always have to be such a jerk?

Well, okay then, I'll leave you two to it.

I don't mind helping...as long as you don't use Teepo as catnip.

Now, off to Duval!

Yes, off to Duval! To do something or other, I guess. Anyway, I only screenshot this because Claricite is one of many, many materials that you can only get through Kitty Dispatch. Basically, if you take a job for an item you've never seen in a field map, and you've been halfway diligent searching for items in said location, odds are you can only get it through the Dispatch.

And a skit to finish today's adventures off. L1 increases Leia's affection, by the by, though this one of the many skits where the choice made substantially alters the skit's dialogue.

Update 6 victory quotes compilation
Update 6 alternate choices compilation

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 12, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Oh, and wdarkk, I'm gonna need a fashion line-up from you, for: Ludger, Jude, Alvin, Elize, Leia, and Rowen. I know it's tough, but you're capable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sylphid posted:

Oh, and wdarkk, I'm gonna need a fashion line-up from you, for: Ludger, Jude, Alvin, Elize, Leia, and Rowen. I know it's tough, but you're capable.

Huh. I'll try to have it Wednesday, but that'll be a bit packed.

I can tell you one thing though, Jude will be the prettiest princess I can make him.

• Locked thread