Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i'm gonna use this thread to ask a bunch of dumb questions since this is my first Harvest Moon style game :D

why does my tilled soil randomly turn back into untilled land?? is there something i need to be doing to prevent that or what

Have stuff planted there at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

how do i meet the wizard. i hear him behind his door

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

you have to do the "investigate the community center" quest from the mayor first

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Cuck hth

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

trying to jack off posted:

what is it with games like this where people cant help but share their epic starting build with people that ask what grass does

Yeah I told someone a few really basic tips after they said they felt totally lost I'm such a dumbshit

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

Fumaofthelake posted:

Yeah I told someone a few really basic tips after they said they felt totally lost I'm such a dumbshit

yeah

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fumaofthelake posted:

take it to games

Soral
May 30, 2009

Fumaofthelake posted:

:yeah:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

well i played like 4 hours of this today and i'm enjoying it. my farm looks like poo poo but it gets the job done :hehe: . i'll eventually fence it off and make it look good but for now .. i am still learning

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

imp zone poster: man this puzzle is hard lol.

games poster: In my article "How To Play Sudoku", I touched upon the Sudoku strategy to look for a cell in every row, column, and region that can be solved by looking for the only possible choice.

In the example above, the cell circled in red can be solved quickly by looking for the missing number. Count from one to nine. You will notice the "8" is missing. That is the answer, so fill the cell in with an "8".

Sudoku Strategy One Choice Region

At the right we have another example where all the cells are filled in a region, except for the cell circled in red. Again, count from one to nine. What number is missing? The "7" is. Any child can solve for the missing cell when they know the Sudoku rules.

Sudoku Strategy One Choice Using Logic At the left we have a third example of a cell that can be solved using the one and only choice Sudoku strategy. This example is different. Can you find the only choice that will satisfy the cell circled in red?

At first glance you might think that there aren't enough cells filled in to solve it. After all, every row, column, and region has several empty cells.

To solve the cell circled in red, say to yourself, "What number can or can not go here?". Let's try it.

Well a "1" can not go there because cell R5C1 of the same row has a "1" in it.

Well a "2" can not go there because cell R1C5 of the same column has a "2" in it.

Well a "3" can not go there because cell R5C9 of the same row has a "3" in it.

Well a "4" can not go there because cell R5C4 of the same region has a "4" in it.

Well a "5" can not go there because cell R2C5 of the same column has a "5" in it.

Well a "6" might go there since there isn't any "6" in the same row, column, or region. Pencil it in. Continue checking.

Well a "7" can not go there because cell R9C5 of the same column has a "7" in it.

Well an "8" can not go there because cell R5C7 of the same row has an "8" in it.

Well a "9" can not go there because cell R4C6 of the same region has a "9" in it.

Well, sure enough! The cell circled in red (R5C5) has to be a "6" since there isn't any other choice. You solved it!

You will be able to use this simple Sudoku strategy in every Sudoku puzzle, if not at first, then eventually. Some easy Sudoku puzzles may be solved using only this one technique. Usually however, you will need to add a few more strategies.
Sudoku Strategy - Scanning
Susoku Strategy Scanning 2 Numbers

I touched upon the Sudoku strategy called scanning in my article "How To Play Sudoku". You will use this technique to help you solve every Sudoku puzzle from easy to fiendish.

In the example at the right, we have two 8s. If you scan each column that has an 8 as depicted by the two red arrows, you will find three cells where it is possible that an 8 could be placed. They are circled in red.

We know that an 8 can not go into either the top three cells of the middle column, or the bottom three cells because there is an 8 in both the top and bottom region.

Still we do not have enough information to place an eight in any of the three circled cells.

Sudoku strategy scanning 4 givens Now if we already have two of the three cells solved as shown in the graphic at the left, it is easy to solve for the center cell circled in red.

There is only one possible solution. The circled cell must be an 8. Write it in.

When you scan, it is helpful to be systematic in your approach to the puzzle. Scan for all numbers in sequence from 1 to 9 in all directions.

You now have two Sudoku strategies that you can use to solve Sudoku puzzles and games. However, not every puzzle can be solved using the one and only choice and the scanning method. You will eventually find a puzzle where you can not solve any more cells using these two methods. We need another Sudoku puzzle strategy.

The third Sudoku strategy you need is learning the art of candidate elimination.
Sudoku Strategy - Candidate Elimination

In order to effectively use the candidate elimination strategies, you will need to find all of the possible candidates for each blank cell in your Sudoku puzzle.

If you have a computer program like Sudoku Dragon , then you can select an option for the program to show all possible candidates. Simple. This saves a lot of time.

If you are using paper and pencil, I suggest using my free blank grid with candidates form. Use liquid paper for best results to remove candidates from consideration.

In my popular article titled "Can You Use Some Sudoku Tips", I address some common techniques to safely eliminate candidates in cells from further consideration. These include naked and hidden singles, naked and hidden pairs, naked and hidden triples, and naked and hidden quads.

As you may have found, these are not enough to solve every Sudoku Puzzle. So, I want to introduce another Sudoku trick, locked candidates.
Locked Candidates
Locked candidates in a row

Sometimes you will find that a candidate within a 3x3 region is restricted to one row or column. When this occurs you can safely remove that candidate from the remaining cell(s) in that row or column that is outside of the region.

In the example above, we have the situation in the right region as highlighted in red, where we have a row of three cells. The numbers 3, 7, and 9 are restricted to the three cells in this region.

If you will notice, the number 7 also appears in the three cells circled in red.

Since, a 7 must be located in one of the three cells of the right region, it is safe to remove the 7 from each of the cells circled in red.

This example comes from my Hard 2 puzzle.

Locked candidates in a column

Another version of locked candidates occurs when you find a candidate within a 3x3 region that is restricted to one row or column. When this occurs you can safely remove that candidate from the remaining cell(s) in that row or column that is inside the region.

In the example at the right, we find that the right most column needs a 3. The only 3s are restricted to the top two vacant cells in the column.

Since we know that one of these two cells must contain a 3, then it is safe to remove any other 3s in that region. In this case, the 3 that is in the cell circled in red may be eliminated safely.

This example comes from hard 7 puzzle.

For more strategies to eliminate possible candidates, please see my advanced Sudoku strategy articles that will appear below.
Remaining sum
Rule of 1
Rule of K
Rule of necessity
Sum Elimination
Sum elimination
Rule of 1
Range of Totals
Sum Elimination
Rule of 1
Rule of necessity
Remaining Sum
Limited possible sums
Rule of 1
Rule of necessity
Rule of necessity
Rule of 1

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

games poster: In my article "How To Play Sudoku", I touched upon the Sudoku strategy to look for a cell in every row, column, and region that can be solved by looking for the only possible choice.

In the example above, the cell circled in red can be solved quickly by looking for the missing number. Count from one to nine. You will notice the "8" is missing. That is the answer, so fill the cell in with an "8".

At the right we have another example where all the cells are filled in a region, except for the cell circled in red. Again, count from one to nine. What number is missing? The "7" is. Any child can solve for the missing cell when they know the Sudoku rules.

Sudoku Strategy One Choice Using Logic At the left we have a third example of a cell that can be solved using the one and only choice Sudoku strategy. This example is different. Can you find the only choice that will satisfy the cell circled in red?

At first glance you might think that there aren't enough cells filled in to solve it. After all, every row, column, and region has several empty cells.

To solve the cell circled in red, say to yourself, "What number can or can not go here?". Let's try it.

Well a "2" can not go there because cell R1C5 of the same column has a "2" in it.

Well a "4" can not go there because cell R5C4 of the same region has a "4" in it.

Well a "5" can not go there because cell R2C5 of the same column has a "5" in it.

Well a "6" might go there since there isn't any "6" in the same row, column, or region. Pencil it in. Continue checking.

Well a "7" can not go there because cell R9C5 of the same column has a "7" in it.

Well an "8" can not go there because cell R5C7 of the same row has an "8" in it.

Well a "9" can not go there because cell R4C6 of the same region has a "9" in it.

Well, sure enough! The cell circled in red (R5C5) has to be a "6" since there isn't any other choice. You solved it!

You will be able to use this simple Sudoku strategy in every Sudoku puzzle, if not at first, then eventually. Some easy Sudoku puzzles may be solved using only this one technique. Usually however, you will need to add a few more strategies.

I touched upon the Sudoku strategy called scanning in my article "How To Play Sudoku". You will use this technique to help you solve every Sudoku puzzle from easy to fiendish.

In the example at the right, we have two 8s. If you scan each column that has an 8 as depicted by the two red arrows, you will find three cells where it is possible that an 8 could be placed. They are circled in red.

We know that an 8 can not go into either the top three cells of the middle column, or the bottom three cells because there is an 8 in both the top and bottom region.

Still we do not have enough information to place an eight in any of the three circled cells.

Sudoku strategy scanning 4 givens Now if we already have two of the three cells solved as shown in the graphic at the left, it is easy to solve for the center cell circled in red.

There is only one possible solution. The circled cell must be an 8. Write it in.

When you scan, it is helpful to be systematic in your approach to the puzzle. Scan for all numbers in sequence from 1 to 9 in all directions.

You now have two Sudoku strategies that you can use to solve Sudoku puzzles and games. However, not every puzzle can be solved using the one and only choice and the scanning method. You will eventually find a puzzle where you can not solve any more cells using these two methods. We need another Sudoku puzzle strategy.

The third Sudoku strategy you need is learning the art of candidate elimination.

In order to effectively use the candidate elimination strategies, you will need to find all of the possible candidates for each blank cell in your Sudoku puzzle.

If you have a computer program like Sudoku Dragon , then you can select an option for the program to show all possible candidates. Simple. This saves a lot of time.

If you are using paper and pencil, I suggest using my free blank grid with candidates form. Use liquid paper for best results to remove candidates from consideration.

In my popular article titled "Can You Use Some Sudoku Tips", I address some common techniques to safely eliminate candidates in cells from further consideration. These include naked and hidden singles, naked and hidden pairs, naked and hidden triples, and naked and hidden quads.

As you may have found, these are not enough to solve every Sudoku Puzzle. So, I want to introduce another Sudoku trick, locked candidates.
Locked Candidates

Sometimes you will find that a candidate within a 3x3 region is restricted to one row or column. When this occurs you can safely remove that candidate from the remaining cell(s) in that row or column that is outside of the region.

In the example above, we have the situation in the right region as highlighted in red, where we have a row of three cells. The numbers 3, 7, and 9 are restricted to the three cells in this region.

If you will notice, the number 7 also appears in the three cells circled in red.

Since, a 7 must be located in one of the three cells of the right region, it is safe to remove the 7 from each of the cells circled in red.

Another version of locked candidates occurs when you find a candidate within a 3x3 region that is restricted to one row or column. When this occurs you can safely remove that candidate from the remaining cell(s) in that row or column that is inside the region.

In the example at the right, we find that the right most column needs a 3. The only 3s are restricted to the top two vacant cells in the column.

Since we know that one of these two cells must contain a 3, then it is safe to remove any other 3s in that region. In this case, the 3 that is in the cell circled in red may be eliminated safely.

For more strategies to eliminate possible candidates, please see my advanced Sudoku strategy articles that will appear below.
Remaining sum
Rule of 1
Rule of K
Rule of necessity
Sum Elimination
Sum elimination
Rule of 1
Range of Totals
Sum Elimination
Rule of 1
Rule of necessity
Remaining Sum
Limited possible sums
Rule of 1
Rule of necessity
Rule of necessity
Rule of 1

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

there's some good mods in this game that are easy to use, if you install the mod manager + one API you can just load all the folders together in the mod manager and it works

i currently have soil set to never automaticall untill, all the villagers show up on my map, the calendar shows their fave gifts when you hover over their birthday, enemies have health bars, and my cat wears a cool leather jacket and shades and blows cigarette smoke in my face just like my mom

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I thought this would be a load of retro pixel indie Steam hype B.S. but it's actually a fun time waster. Playing this with a nice hot mug of joe while watching Twin Peaks on the other monitor and having the sun rise through the window behind me is one of the comfiest experiences I've ever had...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

spent alld ay playing this, its seriously fuckin good. best harvest moon ive ever played

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Locked Candidates

Remaining sum
Rule of 1
Rule of K
Rule of necessity
Sum Elimination
Sum elimination
Rule of 1
Range of Totals
Sum Elimination
Rule of 1
Rule of necessity
Remaining Sum
Limited possible sums
Rule of 1
Rule of necessity
Rule of necessity
Rule of 1

Soral
May 30, 2009

the only mod i have or ever will use for this game is one that replaces the worms you can dig up with the animal crossing dig spot

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

well i played like 4 hours of this today and i'm enjoying it. my farm looks like poo poo but it gets the job done :hehe: . i'll eventually fence it off and make it look good but for now .. i am still learning

it was also the first harvest moon type of game i played. i had a great time bumbling through the early game and learning the ropes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

there's one that makes items you need for bundles jump a little in your backpack so you don't have to double check them all the time, that one's p cool

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

lesbian baphomet posted:

what else does the grass do besides turn into straw?

your animals will just eat it if they wander into it, which makes them not have to eat hay for the day. makes life much simpler if you have a large grass patch in an area your animals will wander into.

also pretend i eq'd jack off's very large post

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Seems cruel to feed an animal old brown grass when they could be eating the fresh stuff.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah i would bet eating grass instead of hay makes them mess happy on their stats in the long run

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The only Harvest Moon game I ever played was the GameCube one because I liked the special farm diary articles Nintendo Power did about it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The only Harvest Moon game I ever played was the GameCube one because I liked the special farm diary articles Nintendo Power did about it.

Me too. Probably got my first real taste of comfy from the rainy mornings

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

i wish you could build snowmen like in animal crossing

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love animal crossing

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i have defeated the most fearsome opponent in the game: the octopus.

Soral
May 30, 2009

gratz

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Locked Candidates

Remaining sum
Rule of 1
Rule of K
Rule of necessity
Sum Elimination
Sum elimination
Rule of 1
Range of Totals
Sum Elimination
Rule of 1
Rule of necessity
Remaining Sum
Limited possible sums
Rule of 1
Rule of necessity
Rule of necessity
Rule of 1

drat

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

the only two things i wish i knew beforehand are that you can press and hold the use button for upgraded farming tools to cover more squares, and there's a hidden part of the forest if you go south that has two more stumps for 12 hardwood a day instead of 8

it took until a gold watering can before i realized i could water more than one square at a time

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

Locked Candidates

Remaining sum
Rule of 1
Rule of K
Rule of necessity
Sum Elimination
Sum elimination
Rule of 1
Range of Totals
Sum Elimination
Rule of 1
Rule of necessity
Remaining Sum
Limited possible sums
Rule of 1
Rule of necessity
Rule of necessity
Rule of 1

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

my cool tip is: once you get the kitchen you can use the fridge as a chest and the cooking area will pull from it's inventory for recipes.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

how do you level up? like if i wanted to level up mining, would i bang on some rocks all day?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

yeah afaik the fastest way is just break as many rocks as possible. selling mining items like gemstones might give a little exp too?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

No Such Thing posted:

my cool tip is: once you get the kitchen you can use the fridge as a chest and the cooking area will pull from it's inventory for recipes.

What the gently caress

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

death .cab for qt

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

lesbian baphomet posted:

yeah afaik the fastest way is just break as many rocks as possible. selling mining items like gemstones might give a little exp too?

i think it's only ore rocks that help actually. i could be wrong on that though.

Soral
May 30, 2009

you increase your mining skill every time you break a rock with a pickaxe. doesnt have to be ore rocks specifically. you only get xp for breaking the rock, so weak rocks level you up faster

Soral
May 30, 2009

also harvesting from crab pots counts as fishing

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

death .cab for qt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Sane gereman