Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

I like the Punisher that shoots knives and the Punisher that becomes Frankenstein. That is the best Punisher.

I think you mean Frankencastle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Frankencastle was pretty great but man was the rest of Remender's run a huge mess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I liked the ending.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I liked the ending.

The tone of the book is just all over the map and a bit jarring at times. I love how it starts, with Frank using super weapons to knock off the bad guys but then we get into ressurected villains and it sort of makes my head spin. I just finished a re-read early today when I took a break from watching Daredevil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The tone of the book is just all over the map and a bit jarring at times. I love how it starts, with Frank using super weapons to knock off the bad guys but then we get into ressurected villains and it sort of makes my head spin. I just finished a re-read early today when I took a break from watching Daredevil.

Well it's really obvious he wanted to stay in Frankencastle longer and was kinda forced to undo it asap to make room for the next guy, I wager a lot of the stuff in the book was supposed to go slower than it ended up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Well it's really obvious he wanted to stay in Frankencastle longer and was kinda forced to undo it asap to make room for the next guy, I wager a lot of the stuff in the book was supposed to go slower than it ended up.

Honestly the lead up is more of a mess than the end. The last 5 issues is much better paced.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was organizing my unsorted comics that were sitting in piles into my boxes, and just the Secret Wars titles I picked up would fill about 75% of a short box.

I'm actually surprised how big the event was, but how generally over all was fairly good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'll gladly argue that it was the best comic book event. The creative freedom of the tie ins made sure there was something for almost everyone. Secret Wars showed the ability of Marvel's editorial team to organize all these various writers and artists onto a wide array of titles with a high rate of success. This has carried on to All New All Different Marvel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It wasnt all good though. There were some really, really bad ones. But a lot of them were really good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

It wasnt all good though. There were some really, really bad ones. But a lot of them were really good.

Was anything as bad as, say, World War Hulk: Frontline?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

SynthOrange posted:

Much like Marvel's current output: some books are very good. Others are only pretty good. Others are bad, and yet others are very bad. Which do you think are which?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'd like to know which current Marvel book is very bad. Is there a Lobdell's Titans I'm missing amongst the ANAD books? Uncanny X-Men maybe? Anyone reading that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Extraordinary is the one everyone says sucks. Nobody really talks about Uncanny.

I haven't read either.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

I'd like to know which current Marvel book is very bad. Is there a Lobdell's Titans I'm missing amongst the ANAD books? Uncanny X-Men maybe? Anyone reading that?

Extraordinary X-Men is really bad. Uncanny is better.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I would reverse this.

Captain America: Sam Wilson and Astonishing Ant-Man are both really dumb but people seem to like them. Black Knight, Guardians of Infinity, and Red Wolf might be really bad but I don't think anyone is actually reading them.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 22, 2016

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Codependent Poster posted:

The latest issue of Extraordinary was better, but that could just be a fluke.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Honestly the lead up is more of a mess than the end. The last 5 issues is much better paced.

Remender's Marvel work had pacing issues all over the place, sadly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I would reverse this.

Captain America: Sam Wilson and Astonishing Ant-Man are both really dumb but people seem to like them. Black Knight, Guardians of Infinity, and Red Wolf might be really bad but I don't think anyone is actually reading them.

Not reading any of those other books, but Ant Man was the first book I dropped. Not bad, just kind of dull. A-Force was the next one dropped. I like the characters, but I just don't care about them hinging the whole book on Singularity. Maybe I'll check on it next arc.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Edge & Christian posted:

I would reverse this.

I haven't read BK or GoI, but Red Wolf just feels really disappointing. It's not an unholy abomination, but it's a really standard Western in modern day, and Red Wolf feels like a supporting character in his own book next to the two actual cops. As an attempt to reintroduce Red Wolf to the Marvel universe it fails to actually make him feel like a part of it, cornered off hin his own wacky small town policing adventure, and as a modern Western there's nothing really remarkable about it.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I like Red Wolf a lot and I will be sad if (or apparently, when) they cancel it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dunbar posted:

like Red Wolf a lot and I will be sad if (or apparently, when) they cancel it.
What do you like about it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dunbar posted:

I like Red Wolf a lot and I will be sad if (or apparently, when) they cancel it.

They made a mistake removing it from the great world they created in Secret Wars.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DrProsek posted:

I haven't read BK or GoI, but Red Wolf just feels really disappointing. It's not an unholy abomination, but it's a really standard Western in modern day, and Red Wolf feels like a supporting character in his own book next to the two actual cops. As an attempt to reintroduce Red Wolf to the Marvel universe it fails to actually make him feel like a part of it, cornered off hin his own wacky small town policing adventure, and as a modern Western there's nothing really remarkable about it.

It does seem like Edmundson's plot would be better-suited to a novel or something than a comic. It's on a very slow boil, and while things happen, it isn't making a very efficient use of the monthly format. There's also nothing about his initial plotline that requires it to also involve time travel, at least at this point.

I also have to wonder how much of the book's lack of success can be attributed to the pushback against Edmundson himself.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wanderer posted:

It does seem like Edmundson's plot would be better-suited to a novel or something than a comic. It's on a very slow boil, and while things happen, it isn't making a very efficient use of the monthly format. There's also nothing about his initial plotline that requires it to also involve time travel, at least at this point.

The time travel thing is what I think really kills it. Time travel happens all the time in the Marvel world. It can lead to a lot of wacky fun adventures. But in Red Wolf's case, it just slows down the story because Red keeps needing to learn about modern times, and the cops need to keep wondering what's up with the weird Native American dude. We know what happened to Red. We know there are plenty of people in the Marvel world who could figure out what's going on with him in seconds and know how to send him back/bring him up to speed on modern times. The slow pace you mention doesn't do the book any favors, but I feel like a slow pace plus time being wasted on Red Wolf getting used to modern times really makes the book feel like nothing happens.

quote:

I also have to wonder how much of the book's lack of success can be attributed to the pushback against Edmundson himself.

I would not be surprised if this figured into it. His Black Widow was good but Phil Noto was easily the star of that show, his Punisher (EDIT: From what I've heard, haven't read it personally beyond 2 issues) was weak and seeemed to think Punisher was just a straight up hero, and now he's working on a book with no big name hero or artist attached to it, and in the months between BW ending and now he's had more bad press come out about him (or at least people started noticing the stuff that came out about him from before). In general controversy doesn't really sink a comics creator, but in this case Edmundson I don't think was big enough to be immune to controversy before it hit.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 22, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
His Punisher was really great early on, but it burned out and I dropped it before it finished. Too bad, because it was loving amazing when it started.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've been reading the Lee/Kirby F4 stuff and I've really been enjoying it. It holds up a lot better than I thought it would. I thought it would take me forever to get through the three omnis I have but I got through half the first one in one work day.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

WickedHate posted:

is Punisher was really great early on, but it burned out and I dropped it before it finished. Too bad, because it was loving amazing when it started.
Which part did you like best about the early issues?

The part where he smiles and cracks wise while cutting dude's fingers off to steal their rings as they're eaten by crocodiles?
The part where he's a cool customer who hangs out and flirts with lady cops and gives them the jewelry they stole off corpses?
The part where he makes a lot of racial jokes at the expense of the minorities he indiscriminately murders?
Or is it where he's seen as an unironic role model for military and law enforcement officers out in the field?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't remember the racism and the military/police bro-ing sucked. Also, I liked the mask a lot.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Has there been any public specific accusation about Edmondson? I read some vagueries back when Red Wolf was announced but not a peep since. I only knew about that stuff after looking him up when a friend tabled near Edmondson at a georgia Con awhile back and said he was a real dickhole.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Edge & Christian posted:

I would reverse this.

I read Black Knight, the fool I am. It was really not good. It hammers on the drugs/sword parallels for all five issues, with people telling Dane he needs to dry out from the sword, but then in the end they just give it back to him for some reason. No attempts are made to actually help Dane or remove the curse or just destroy the blade, it's just "Never mind, addict, you were right. Enjoy your drugs!"

The supporting cast was also incredibly boring: two bland grumpy human warriors who hate each other because they both think they love ~*Dane-sempai*~ the most. The book's villains aren't even really in the series -- it's mostly squabbling between Dane and the Uncanny Avengers -- and they don't show up to fight anybody until the series is almost done, and then half an issue later it's revealed they aren't really who you thought they were! They're actually... some random other guys you don't know, led by a dude who was in exactly one panel of the first issue, and now they're wearing dumb lizard costumes to disguise their identities for... reasons! Oh, and Steve Rogers is almost instantly overwhelmed by the Ebony Blade when he picks it up, because apparently Captain America is less pure of heart and has less willpower than Dane Whitman?

There might be explanations for some of these dumb things in the book, but so much about it was bad that I don't want to bother going back to it or even trying to remember. It was immensely forgettable.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I would like to like Ennis just because, hey, his politics seem a lot different than mine and it doesn't hurt to read stuff from the other side of the tracks now and then, especially if its well-done (having to come to terms with Ezra Pound and Carl Schmitt helped me out a lot professionally for example) but I can never get over his insistence on rape as funny and in particular the trope of a wimpy male character getting sexually assaulted to show that he isn't tuff enuff to bark with the big dog protagonists or whatever. I remember this really bugging me in the Barracuda arc, along with a strong sense of discomfort with Barracuda himself as "huge sexually insatiable hyper-mammal black guy" racist schtick.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Archyduke posted:

I would like to like Ennis just because, hey, his politics seem a lot different than mine and it doesn't hurt to read stuff from the other side of the tracks now and then, especially if its well-done (having to come to terms with Ezra Pound and Carl Schmitt helped me out a lot professionally for example) but I can never get over his insistence on rape as funny and in particular the trope of a wimpy male character getting sexually assaulted to show that he isn't tuff enuff to bark with the big dog protagonists or whatever. I remember this really bugging me in the Barracuda arc, along with a strong sense of discomfort with Barracuda himself as "huge sexually insatiable hyper-mammal black guy" racist schtick.

Every single one of his gay characters are also problematic as they all seem to be sexual deviants

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I really like Blindspot. I hope he sticks around permanently as Daredevil's sidekick.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Vishass posted:

Has there been any public specific accusation about Edmondson? I read some vagueries back when Red Wolf was announced but not a peep since. I only knew about that stuff after looking him up when a friend tabled near Edmondson at a georgia Con awhile back and said he was a real dickhole.

Ales Kot implied that he was homophobic last year, and said that he was going to release some info about it but i don't think he ever did. But I don't think there was anything else in terms of accusations about Edmondson.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

bobkatt013 posted:

Every single one of his gay characters are also problematic as they all seem to be sexual deviants

He's been writing more "normal" gay relationships into his work since maybe 2004. For example, the "Streets of Laredo" arc in Marvel Knights Punisher features a decent, heroic gay character, and there's a whole arc in the last "Kev" book he did for Wildstorm about the main character coming to terms with his homophobia.

Yeah, Preacher is skeevy like that, but he's done a lot since then.

Skeematic posted:

Ales Kot implied that he was homophobic last year, and said that he was going to release some info about it but i don't think he ever did. But I don't think there was anything else in terms of accusations about Edmondson.

I started to write about it from memory, but as it turns out, here's a good collection of the accusations.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/133145-why-are-people-angry-at-nathan-edmondson-the-new-writer-of-marvels-red-wolf.html

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Pictured: Garth Ennis in 20 years:

:D

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Wanderer posted:

He's been writing more "normal" gay relationships into his work since maybe 2004. For example, the "Streets of Laredo" arc in Marvel Knights Punisher features a decent, heroic gay character, and there's a whole arc in the last "Kev" book he did for Wildstorm about the main character coming to terms with his homophobia.

Yeah, Preacher is skeevy like that, but he's done a lot since then.

I started to write about it from memory, but as it turns out, here's a good collection of the accusations.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/133145-why-are-people-angry-at-nathan-edmondson-the-new-writer-of-marvels-red-wolf.html

Vague twitter posts are vague twitter posts and not proof of anything.

I don't know anything about Edmondson and he doesn't sound likeable but unless someone says something definitive, even if only anonymously, then no decisions or judgements can be made about the man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HIJK posted:

Vague twitter posts are vague twitter posts and not proof of anything.

I don't know anything about Edmondson and he doesn't sound likeable but unless someone says something definitive, even if only anonymously, then no decisions or judgements can be made about the man.

You don't get to dictate that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

You don't get to dictate that.

I'm not stopping you from doing anything, I'm just pointing out that without knowing what he might be guilty of, it's impossible to know what we're even judging. That article doesn't actually say anything about what he's done except a one line allusion to sexual harassment. The rest is frustrated twitter rants that don't/can't actually say anything.

What is the guy accused of besides writing racist comics? I still don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm not even sure what there has to be to decry him except "he wrote racist comics and is probably a racist"

• Locked thread