Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Someone has to buy the garbage steak to clear out room for killing more cows to make the good ones.

I don't quite understand this metaphor but does this mean I actually need to thank D_T for continuing to buy Red Hood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

Didn't he get rezzed with Daken?

Yeah, except the next time Daken showed up after he was a horseman of Apocalypse with Banshee he looked completely normal and nobody acknowledged him being a horseman and/or coming back from the dead, then Grim Reaper showed up like immediately after Secret Wars in Vision looking completely normal (only to promptly die immediately again). So he should be? Except it seems like nobody wants to acknowledge the time/reason that he came back so I guess in his next appearance he'll just kinda show up and nobody will question anything.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like Gwenpool because I like Chris Hastings and because I will read pretty much anything Gurihiru does art for.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Richards also claims he has tiny hands

Make Latveria Great Again

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Same but with Stacey Lee. God I love her art and it's a major reason I love Silk so god-damned much.

I miss her art and I have not been digging Tana Ford at all since the relaunch

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Exiles already exists, it's just all Spider-Men and named Web-Warriors

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember them doing an Alias teaser in one of those Point One (or some other compilation) books a while back so yeah that's what I'd put my money on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

mental issues more accurately and with something approaching respect.

Well this is a comic book so I'd say don't hold your breath

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I haven't read this week's book but I hope so. I think that's where she's been used best. Asgard's Assassin was ok, but I stopped reading the Queen of Hel one because it was just boring.

Yeah I liked the start of Queen of Hel but after a while the writing got way too smart about winking at itself and I cut out at issue 4. Like, okay, breaking the 4th wall is cute sometimes, we all know that but goddamn Bennett cool your jets even Deadpool doesn't do that poo poo that much.

That said, 1602 was one of my fave Secret Wars tie-ins so I'm not knocking all the Angela books.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

The issue before last he was shown captured by some sort of aliens. Shame on anyone not reading Thor.

More importantly, he was shown to be like 6 feet away from that hammer Ultimate Thor left on the moon at the end of the Thors SW mini.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

He's a legend!

Bendis! Stop trying to make Goldballs happen! It's never going to happen!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Finster Dexter posted:

Wait, they actually did that whole Wanda and Quicksilver not being Magneto's kids retcon? That's kind of annoying. Sorry if that's old news, but I've been just been getting back into comics lately after a long break.

Yeah it was right before SW. During that subpar Axis event, Scarlet Witch was running around being all evil so Magneto goes and gets Quicksilver and is like "we gotta stop your sister before she fuckin kills someone". Then at some point in the fight Mags yells something to the extent of "you're my daughter calm down!" and Wanda goes "Oh yeah well gently caress your whole bloodline old man" and throws a spell out there (was she gonna kill herself? I dunno) and nothing happens and Quicksilver is like "Hey I thought you said you were gonna gently caress up his whole bloodline but we're unaffected ohhhh I get it now"

Then later in Uncanny Avengers they find out they were both just High Evolutionary experiments.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Shouldn't that have done something to Polaris, then? Unless she's also no longer Magneto's daughter.

Polaris wasn't around to be caught in the blast radius of the spell and supposedly she's still Magneto's kid, though your canon is good too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Regardless of anything, I think it's a poor decision to make your #1 a big "whoa man mind control but it's totally not mind control I swear" arc.

I mean it's the same way Sam Wilson made his debut appearance as Cap in Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #1... by being a inverted-morality version of himself trying to fight the Avengers. It leaves a poor impression for potential new readers bahaha who am I kidding? New readers? Comic books? What a ridiculous dream.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Also this week's Hellcat was super, duper bad. Like really bad. I guess Ms. Marvel/USG sucked up all the amazing and Hellcat had to be dumb and boring and weirdly convoluted.

Really? I thought it was still great. Although I do look forward to the next issue having Williams back on art.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

That's just how comics are written nowadays, but they probably shouldn't have made a new #1 to do it.

marvel.txt

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

At this point who would Marvel's most prominent gay hero (outside of Mutants, and Young Avengers, and alternate-universe characters) even be right now?

Why outside of mutants? I mean, Iceman coming out was the hot story not even a whole year ago. But the internet sure forgot about Iceman quick. I guess he's not in movies though. But then, the internet's a fickle thing, I'm sure Twitter will latch on to some new and exciting hashtag by the time I get off work tonight.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 27, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
CW2 #1 was dumb. Like, on paper, I'm supposed to see Iron Man's side because convictions based on thought-crime are bad and can be wrong and poo poo. However, Ulysses' powers are incredibly vaguely explained so we never know if he sees a future or the future, which is probably totally intentional (but its still kind of bad writing) so maybe he's never wrong and there's no reason for Tony to be that upset at the party. And when the inciting event is something like Thanos that totally warrants a big response, it makes Carol totally in the right. The only thing Carol could really be in the wrong about is: Hey, if Thanos is in town, why not call loving everybody? Like, Thanos wrecks everyone all the time, sound all the alarms in all the various Avenger bases, not just the team books you're featured in. Ideally the inciting event should be when Carol tries starts trying to arrest someone for some disaster that hasn't happened yet and then people go "hey no we're gonna have to FIGHT DRAMATICALLY ABOUT THIS"

e: Also I'm sure somebody's pointed it out by now but 1 issue in and Civil War II has already killed a black hero. Guess they don't have to dig Rhodey a giant tarp grave this time at least.

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Carol leak the Cosmic Cube rumor and that's why Thanos came in the first place?

No, that was Edward Snowden Rick Jones a.k.a "The Whisperer" leaking it on the internet, then SHIELD lied about getting rid of it. I guess from there it got to the space-internet somehow.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 2, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
She-Hulk is a supporting character in 2 other ongoings, loving lol at anybody who thinks that flatline is anything but a fakeout.

ElNarez posted:

It's not even that. Rhodey was just here because he was visiting Carol, then Thanos happened and he thought he'd go and help. He died stopping Thanos, which is a thing you probably know could happen if you put on a costume and call yourself War Machine. There is absolutely no way you can argue Carol is wrong.

But Thanos didn't just "happen". They planned a mission to stop Thanos' vague cosmic cube plans because they knew when and where he would be because of their future telling boy! That's what the event is about! Which implies that there was some forethought into who would be going on Operation Stop Thanos. Sure Rhodey was there and volunteered himself, but during the strategy session when Carol was calling in the Ultimates and A-Force she could've dropped a line to the other 50 superheroes she knows.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ElNarez posted:

Yeah but they did stop Thanos, so, they didn't really need more than the Ultimates, A-Force and some Inhumans.

Like, the only thing that went wrong is Rhodey dying, and, he was never part of the plan, so the only way he could've been saved is if someone looked into the future and changed it. Carol is unambiguously in the right so far, and Tony is just being a giant baby.

Has there ever been a time when Thanos showed up that wasn't like, the biggest threat at the time? I'm not even trying to argue here, I'm just asking, ever since I started reading comics, Thanos always seems to kick and/or kill everyone's rear end whenever he shows up. Even in Infinity, the impending destruction of Earth via incursion took a backseat to "THANOS COMIN'".

I'm just saying advanced warning on the guy showing up on Earth should be cause to send out a big "ALL HANDS ON DECK" signal to the entire super-community, rather than just pick and choose your own little team that you think can handle it in secret. poo poo, she and Tony had a disagreement in the kitchen or whatever, but they weren't openly fighting yet, why not call him and go "hey look I know we have disagreements on this future-kid, but loving Thanos is coming on Thursday, clear your schedule, it's going down".

But then I know that none of these sensible things will happen because this is an event comic based around making heroes fight which means everyone has to act dumb as gently caress all the time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Vision's going to end in tears. :smith:

No, it's going to end in the world being razed. God it's like you don't even read the book :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So hey, how exactly did the Inhumans wind up on Earth anyway? Like, they were on the moon, then something happened, then they were hovering near New York then Black Bolt blew up Attilan. Like, I figure it was something Hickman did in Avengers or FF that I just forgot, but someone help me remember precisely why the Inhumans decided to just chill floating around NYC?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

I have never and likely never will be able to summon the slightest bit of a care for the Inhumans

You should, their comics are quite good. Charles Soule is a Good Writer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

...where the gently caress is Tom even getting Avengers yaoi doujinshi?

Kamala Khan's DeviantArt?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know I shouldn't be surprised at an event comic being bad, but goddamn Civil War II is the worst. I guess I'm just disappointed because I thought the initial premise was intriguing but God what a letdown this whole thing has been.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Except the initial premise wasn't all that interesting to begin with.

I think the really dropped the ball on having Ulysses be a generic white dude instead of Miss Cleo from those last night informercials. (linked for reference)

"Listen up child, Mama Cleo had a vision, Thanos coming. He bringing some bad ju ju, OK. Also Captain Marvel, I'll tell ya who Spider-Woman's baby daddy is. Call me now; only 99 cents a minute."

I thought "stopping future events disasters" vs. "hey we can't attack/arrest people for loving pre-crime" was (or still is) the start of a good story idea and just needed a good writer to make it work, but then Bendis just... I don't know, man.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

And Secret Wars was a secret because pretty much nobody remembers it besides Molecule Man, Thanos, and the Future Foundation.

Well there's that one plot hole-ish moment in the last issue of Secret Wars that still bothers me where Black Panther is clutching the Reality Gem while the universe explodes around him, then in the next scene he's all "It worked" when he sees Wakanda reformed.... but then he promptly launches into talking about Alpha Flight and I guess he forgets Battleworld on the spot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

In other news, Chip Zdarsky confirms Howard the Duck is ending with #11.

http://zdarsky.tumblr.com/post/146264751026/scienceninjaturtle-howard-the-duck-11-chip

Wauuugghhh!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Could just have them push his head around in a wheelchair as he rants angrily about things.

<Unsolicited opinions about humanity?>

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So far the Ms. Marvel tie-in is the only Civil War II thing yet to even introduce a hint of sketchiness to Ulysses' powers, something this event desperately needed.

Also Gwenpool is definitely pretty amazingly good considering her existence is entirely due to variant cover gags.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 23, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

But part of me just said, I'd love for the ghost of Jim Rhodes to appear and say "What the gently caress is all this? I wanted to be burried at Arlington. I deserve that for dieing in the line of duty.
And while I appreciate you all for showing up at this funeral before the funeral....what the Hell? Storm? Dr. Voodoo? The new Nick Fury? I have never met most of you before today.
At least Blade made up an excuse and stayed at home rather then come to a funeral for a guy he knew nothing about." You know, have him just tear strips out of everyone.

Maybe this is just me, but the whole scene just felt so weird, because there was no connection between so many guys.

Yeah that part felt kinda hosed up. Like "hey a black hero died, we should put all the black heroes in one spot right?" Especially Fury Jr. Like what the gently caress are you talking about family for Misty Knight, this guy never even met Rhodey.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Metalshark posted:

The Damage Control story in Choosing Sides was amazing. It had such heart and was just super fun and completely unexpected to me, though I confess I know very little about Damage Control beyond Irredeemable Ant-Man and some brief appearances of theirs.

Shalvey's Nick Fury Jnr. story was a strong opening, exactly what you'd expect from him and Bellaire, but his writing was straight to business and effective.

The Night Thrasher story was solid and simple, but possibly sets him up to go to Baltimore which with Sam Wilson and Nighthawk in Chicago would be another interesting opportunity for important commentary, or it was just a good line.

Choosing Sides was weird because there was zero side choosing at all. Like, in Original Sins there were some sins shown even if some were jokes or whatever. This was just "Um... and here's a Damage Control story!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I like the government guy saying the Ultimates look like a Benetton ad.

I actually had to google that joke to really appreciate it but yeah, it was pretty good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Great, yet another minority reduced to Hero-B.

I don't want to sound cynical, but this was totally inevitable. That's the cycle these things seem to go in, especially these days where movies tend to inform the comics' status quo. Steve Rogers got his youth back (even if he's a secret HYDRA agent) in time for Cap 3 to come out, Jim Gordon lost that robot suit for Bruce to resume being Batman and Superman regained his powers in time for Batman v Superman, and so the Odinson is totally gonna get Mjolnir back in time for Thor: Ragnarok to hit theaters.

I think Jane-Thor has caught on and has enough fans to stick around though, so I don't think she'll just sink into B-hero status like US Agent or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

U-Thor's powers worked differently, didn't they? A hammer swap might let Jane keep a-thunderin' without dying of the cancer.

Pretty sure they worked the same, although that could be a nifty workaround. Checking on Wikipedia though, Ult Thor's hammer didn't seem to have a restriction on who could wield it. If you really want to split hairs though, that's not really Ultimate Thor's hammer, it's Battleworld's Ultimate Thor's hammer, which does provide that someone be worthy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Civil War II is getting intense!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

It is shipping taken to the next level and it is dumb.

Yeah that's the only irksome thing about it. Like if you want to see Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan bone then that's fine, I'll upvote your fanfic, but that doesn't make you a noble crusader for representation, you just want to see two very particular men make out.

(Also I guess I have to read Planet Hulk again because I totally missed any gay subtext, probably too focused on dinosaurs)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

I just read Civil War and Sue brings up meeting Reed at 12 so if it has been retconned it has been done recently. If I recall as the scene is written it's Sue having a school girl crush (character's words) and Reed being completely oblivious because he is an autistic brainiac college freshman and not creeping on a 12 year old.

It was in one of the last two FF runs (so either Fraction or Robinson, I forget). They actually referenced it in a letters page where someone wrote in mad about the retcon and they responded by just saying "Yeah we know a lot of people liked John Byrne's stuff back in the day but we find it creepy and it's 2015 now".

ImpAtom posted:

Can you actually back this up? Because from what I actually saw it was the opposite. The hashtag was started by someone who A) ships Bucky/Cap naturally and B) Thought it would be a good step forward for progressiveness. They didn't intend for it to blow up into a huge thing but it was adopted both by people who wanted to justify their boners AND people who genuinely are interested in greater representation. Not this weird fantasy you had about a group of people who got together to pester marvel about their boners or whatever.

I know I can't "back it up" but it certainly seems to me that any fanart/thinkpieces/etc revolving around that hashtag and/or a gay Capt. America almost always revolve around him hooking up with Bucky. I'm sure there's tons of Cap/Falcon slashfic out there but they're never brought to the forefront in debates like this. That, and the hashtag springing up right after a movie all about Captain America and Bucky premieres, leads me to believe that all too many people supporting the #GiveCapABoyfriend movement are just too embarrassed to tweet at Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan directly and ask them to make out.

But like you (and other folks) have said, there are people genuinely interested in representation out there, I guess it's hard not to be cynical sometimes.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 29, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Your entire thing is :byodood: The white originals that make money are around and this is bad :byodood:

No, their entire thing is that legacy heroes are de-legitimized when the original heroes are hanging around which is a good point. You can't have (for example) Wally West as the Flash trying to live up to the example of Barry Allen when Barry Allen is hanging around. Same thing goes for Miles Morales/Peter Parker, although post-SW Miles... isn't even a legacy character I guess, since he's living in a world where Spider-Man never died(?)

Your whole thing is "But they'll never shelve the cash cows!", and you're probably right, but it doesn't make ImpAtom's point somehow invalid.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Ghostbusters is an IP that has laid dormant for close to 20 years and was reinvented once already. It is a revitalization of a brand. No company is going to take a cash cow IP that is currently pumping out merchandise and movies and radically change it mid stride. They will play it safe until it quits making tons of money. Let it cool and try to rebrand it. Luckily comic IPs have this great petri dish that they can experiment and try new things with to see what sticks.

If it makes you irritated that they still exist. Don't buy the books, see the movies, or buy merchandise until they change. Speak with your wallet.

That's your solution? "If you don't like things just as they are and want change, well too bad, better wait until comics are totally dead and then maybe we can consider doing a big reboot"

• Locked thread