Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

No I was not expecting the final boss to bombard you with buckets and basins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Shinobido: Tales of The Ninja.

When a spin-off goes wrong.

Physics is cool.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The idea that they would be so lazy porting over the bonus content that they wouldn't even include the tools necessary to complete it speaks volumes.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

those physics tho :bravo:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not even sure that can count as physics because that looks like a completely canned reaction.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Red Ninja: End of Honor.

Continuing the theme of thongs in update images...

The assass in assassiantion.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I remember reading a couple of reviews about Red Ninja back in the day, when it came out.
They were not kind and I can see why. :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

God, one true way or fail, stealth especially, suuuuucks.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The combat at least seems pretty fun in Red Ninja. Dismemberment is always great, and the line mechanic was interesting. Shame about the rest of it.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I remember getting to the second stage in Red Ninja before quitting in frustration. Such a bad game.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I just want to point something out about that results screen.

There are 8,760 hours in a non-leap year.

So I guess if you were to take literally more than a year to clear a level, they have enough space and leading zeros to display that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Apparently, Red Ninja was Tranji's only game because it was so poorly received. I wonder what would have been different if they'd had a second chance to apply lessons learned.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Days 1-40. Chaotic Neutral.

Snatcher

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Figures the way for a ninja to be neutral is to kill everyone who would tell people about you.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Days 41-49. True ninja...wins!

So dangerous!

Letters:

quote:

Onji

quote:

quote:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I didn't even realize I'd had the same idea as SelenicMartian. When I saw the bear's cold, heartless eyes staring back at me, I knew I had to screen cap it.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 13, 2016

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Of course Akame and Sadame break the truce as soon as the main threat is dispatched. :v:

Since you've been talking about the actual sequel, are you planning on LP'ing it as well? And is it as absurd as this game? :haw:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Fantastic LP SelenicMartian, enjoyed every minute of it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

They didn't get the voice actors back for the sequel, and oh my god Ichijo sounds even more pathetic than he did in this one.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
This was a hell of a ride, thank you for a really enjoyable LP of a weird game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I loved Shinobido, and it was great to see you play it. I liked Ichijo the most, since he seemed to be a decent if incompetent human being unlike the other two. They should've at least stopped for drinks.

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
No box lady humping a statue, LP ruined 2/10.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen.

The finally final update!

Who the hell is Zen?

Never heard of 'im.

Anyway, Shinobido 2 is the proper sequel to the original game, released exclusively on the Vita. It borrows from both other instalments in the series.

Ways it's like Tales of the Ninja (the PSP thing)

- It's portable.

- It doesn't have the garden or the mission editor, and it doesn't look like the crazy ninja mode is in.

- You have only one quick item panel, but you carry your entire inventory with you at all times.

- Missions are clearly rated and give experience, but you control what and how you level up.

- No lord cutscenes: most information is delivered via text, rarely you get voice. The few in-engine cutscenes are all about the main plot.

Ways it's like Way of the Ninja:

- The dynamic campaign structure. Only this time you actually see the lords' stats clearly.

- All of the old mission types are there.

- Some old characters are back.

- The Amurtita sect and Ichijo are same old, though the cultists had a bit of a KKK makeover in the six months between the campaigns.

- The 8 magic McGuffins plot. Minus the bear part, or the fun lords, or your character being a dumbass. It's really dull, except for Uz appearances.

- Most maps from the original have been recycled, got a facelift and a slight area expansion. The old item and patrol points are mostly there.

The water in the moat around the finished Utakata castle is strange.

- Some letters and mission flavour texts have been recycled, although re-translated. There are also new spam letters and they often come with items.

- There are two main playable characters, but nothing as different as flail/sword.

- Some old stealth kills are mixed in with the new ones. They all are fast. A few still fling corpses.

- Alchemy is still there, but it works completely differently and is no longer a math puzzle.

- The unlockable skins in NG+ are back and are obtained the same way. This time model swap affects in-engine cutscenes... mainly of people standing and talking.

- The regular move set is mostly the same including the uppercut slash, but its the lovely Japanese version without the downward follow-up.

New stuff:

- The translation was done by weeaboos.

Chimatsuri Sappo is what we know as Stealth Kill.

Uzumibi is our old friend land mine. Because this game about ninjas, set in Japan, featuring Japanese lords, sushi and architecture needed some transliterated words to hint at its Japanese flavour. It's even better when I get a recipe for a special scroll and have no loving clue what it does, and why I should bother.

And yet, there's no Japanese voice track.

- New bandit design. You kill gangs of ripped furries in this one.

- Akame's army has been replaced by... well... Out of job barbarian actors.

- Bears got better at navigating the forest.

- Health regenerates out of combat. There's no health bar, instead you get a really annoying pulsating red mist.

- There are moral choices in the campaign affecting the ending.

- If you're trying to kill two lords, for the second one you'll be forced into an open boss battle against them. No chance to stealth kill.

- The hook (and the map) is now inseparable from your ninja. To the point that you'll have to level up both characters to give each the longest chain. Or level Zen and play with Kaede's skin on because, like all girl skins, that will make you use her moves.

- There's one new map. It's cute but has a few walls you can't hook.

- There's an instant kill counterattack move, as if straight from Way of the Samurai. Combat is still nothing special and should be avoided.

- There's a remote stealth kill move that eats units from a special power bar, so it's like the chainsaw in the new Doom. It's also a QTE, and a teleport if you wish.

- You can lock onto people through walls.

- There's a flying squirrel suit which lets you glide and adds a lot to infiltration and stealth kill approaches.

Say, this is a new starting point for the Kongo Pass fort. You can jump off and glide over all the usual guards and ninjas at the main gate.

The wingsuit is available to everyone.

Everyone.

Appreciate these because to take them I need to get Zen to start sprinting forward, jump with X, keep holding circle, maybe turn, and press Start and PS button at the same time to snap a shot. Start tends to pause the game.

///

How bad can it be?

That's how.

I've never seen them flock before.

///

A playthrough of Shinobido 2 can be finished rather quickly. Killing bosses by running them off cliffs and into wells speeds it up.

Actually, 6,5 hours on the save file.

It's been delisted on the PSN, so the only way to get it is a physical copy, and the DLC is gone.

Overall, I'm glad it's more unique Shinobido gameplay, but the presentation is a bit cheap and the story is entirely forgettable.

And now it's really

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

The wingsuit is available to everyone.

Everyone.

That is just :perfect:
Shame the game doesn't seem particularly interesting otherwise.
Still, congratulations on finishing this LP and for entertaining us with a game not everyone knew about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Good LP, insane game.

• Locked thread