Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Miraclevendor questline She wants to be touched, got everything, even Morne's gloves, but she doesn't care. She's destined to go somewhere else? Bought all of her crap so what gives

Vermain posted:

I'd probably go with a Raw Astora Straight Sword so that you can dump the majority of your points into FTH/VIT/END/ATTN while still dealing respectable damage.

This was freaking top notch btw, the moveset is a massive punisher in PvP, solid stunner in PvE, buffed it's brutal. I do miss bleed though.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently dark miracles/pyromancies/sorceries all benefit from intelligence and faith scaling, for instance Caitha's chime's intelligence scaling only affects dark miracles. So FAI/INT hex builds are back but you've got to shuffle catalysts/chimes/glove

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

MrLonghair posted:

Miraclevendor questline She wants to be touched, got everything, even Morne's gloves, but she doesn't care. She's destined to go somewhere else? Bought all of her crap so what gives

This was freaking top notch btw, the moveset is a massive punisher in PvP, solid stunner in PvE, buffed it's brutal. I do miss bleed though.

Depending on where you are in her storyline put her out of her misery. The way to get the good ending there is to give her only divine tomes.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I am undecided between pyro or herald. Was going to go pyromancy route but now miracles are sounding enticing once more.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Danger posted:

I am undecided between pyro or herald. Was going to go pyromancy route but now miracles are sounding enticing once more.

Both look solid. Pyro will likely have an easier time at the start because of their immediate access to an offensive spell, and the Pyromancy Flame gets a decent short-range attack as well.

Keep in mind that there is a talisman that allows you to cast both Miracles and Pyromancies later on in the game, so you can eventually have the best of both worlds.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Vermain posted:

Both look solid. Pyro will likely have an easier time at the start because of their immediate access to an offensive spell, and the Pyromancy Flame gets a decent short-range attack as well.

Keep in mind that there is a talisman that allows you to cast both Miracles and Pyromancies later on in the game, so you can eventually have the best of both worlds.

That talisman is apparently piss at casting dark alignment spells despite the intelligence scaling btw

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I imagine there is no catalyst that does both hex and pyro scaling well because that would basically be handing Int/Fai builds a "cast everything" button.

They already sound pretty versatile with access to sorceries/miracles/pyromancy plus all dark variants and Chaos and Dark infusions. Having to juggle chimes and gloves and poo poo sounds fair.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If I get this right, there are staffs/talismans/dingalings with full on hidden stats for scaling and efficency? Oh for..

Danger posted:

The first miracle weapon enchant is super useful but otherwise not much damage output from miracles.

Gologle posted:

Depending on where you are in her storyline put her out of her misery. The way to get the good ending there is to give her only divine tomes.

The business with characters in this game is so deep and detailed Bioware need to give up like their creative writing employees have and market this holiday season's Mass Effect as a third person shooter and nothing else. Wow.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Apparently dark miracles/pyromancies/sorceries all benefit from intelligence and faith scaling, for instance Caitha's chime's intelligence scaling only affects dark miracles. So FAI/INT hex builds are back but you've got to shuffle catalysts/chimes/glove

Nope. Caith's Chime and Izalith Staff have innate bonuses to Dark which is where that extra damage comes from.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Took 3 1/2 hours but I am finally beautiful. :)

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Meatsicle posted:

Nope. Caith's Chime and Izalith Staff have innate bonuses to Dark which is where that extra damage comes from.

I saw something that said increasing intelligence did not increase damage output of non-dark miracles cast with faiths' chime but dark miracles did see an increase in damage. That might turn out wrong though

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Unless the DLC features an actual Gwyn fight somehow the Pontiff's Greatsword is the closest we'll get to a Great Lord's Greatsword, which doesn't really bum me out because I never actually used the weapon, but I always thought it looked radical. So, to whoever might pick that weapon up, tell me how you feel about it, because I sort of want to get it on maybe a pyromancer character if I make one.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Gologle posted:

Unless the DLC features an actual Gwyn fight somehow the Pontiff's Greatsword is the closest we'll get to a Great Lord's Greatsword, which doesn't really bum me out because I never actually used the weapon, but I always thought it looked radical. So, to whoever might pick that weapon up, tell me how you feel about it, because I sort of want to get it on maybe a pyromancer character if I make one.

I used it for most of my play through after Pontiff. It's solid.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh that's what that sword is called. It's an insane beast. I love how you can buff it's attack temporarily with an L2->R2

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Actually the name is Profaned Greatsword. I'm going hollow from waiting for this game to coem out in TWO DAYYZZZZZZZ

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I can no longer get a shard from that first rolling boneball you encounter. Stealthy 1.03 change?

e: Anri's questline considering letting her become the wifey so that I can PvP together with the two endzone summons :getin:
e: other 1.03 change is that one elevator now makes a beepboop sound to signal it's done moving

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 9, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://giant.gfycat.com/VacantScornfulEmperorshrimp.webm

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Grandpa Demon just wants these kids off his bridge lawn.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The transition to falling animation is the best thing.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Space Harrier posted:

I'm getting ready to do a very un-Dark Souls thing and admit total defeat against the Dancer of the Boreal Valley- At least until the English Xbox One version gets online and I can summon for the boss. I've got her attack patterns down solid in phase 1, but I just cannot do effective damage against her in phase 2. Hugging the pillars on the side of the arena keeps me safe, but I have no way of doing effective damage without getting slaughtered by a combo. Pyromancy does a reasonable amount of damage, but leaves me too wide open to attack. I'm sure I've tried this boss at least 30 times. Any advice for Phase 2? and is it possible to summon an NPC for this fight that I may have missed?

Don't give up! She's a really great boss and you'll feel incredibly accomplished once you get past her.

I twink setup at SL 25 and it took like four hours. Here is some advice:

*If you can buy it, apply bleed resin to your weapon. She's vulnerable to it and if you can apply it twice during the fight it'll help a substantial amount.

*For her phase one the most consistent place to be is on her weaponless side - dodge the grab, get free hits.

*This changes when she goes to phase two - You want to be directly in front of her with as much space as possible behind you. - she has some incredibly fast punishes if you're behind or to her side, but can be baited into using three slow attacks (overhead smash, upwards sweep with both swords, double stab) that leave her vulnerable from the front. She's the antithesis of a Bloodborne boss, with wide sweeping combos to her sides but generally poor range if the player dodges backwards.

*I rarely ever went to the sides of the room. Even if it let me get a free hit, it didn't feel like it was worth the risk of getting boxed in.

*When she starts to beyblade (which she always does when she first draws her second sword) it actually takes her forever to reorient herself if you can get behind her. Use this time to heal or use resins. Likewise, once she finishes the attack she's completely vulnerable for at least two hits.

edit: i'm a complete idiot and somehow missed that the post was from last page and you already beat her. welp

Scrree fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 10, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's still good advice :v:

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Yeah, thanks anyway. I don't think I would have quit for good, but I was starting to run out of ideas on that boss. Is it even possible to summon for the dancer without sequence breaking and killing Emma before you fight Vordt?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Space Harrier posted:

Yeah, thanks anyway. I don't think I would have quit for good, but I was starting to run out of ideas on that boss. Is it even possible to summon for the dancer without sequence breaking and killing Emma before you fight Vordt?

I could swear there's another NPC in High Wall that's intended for Vordt and there's no reason you couldn't use them, but I'm not 100% on that.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Anyone found a weapon that has decent chaos/dark infusion scaling? I've been playing a dark pyromancer, but my +10 dark uchi kind of blows.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Orv posted:

I could swear there's another NPC in High Wall that's intended for Vordt and there's no reason you couldn't use them, but I'm not 100% on that.

Yeah, but don't all the summon signs disappear once you've killed Vordt? I can't tell if it would be possible to summon an online player since I'm on the offline Xbox version.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Space Harrier posted:

Yeah, but don't all the summon signs disappear once you've killed Vordt? I can't tell if it would be possible to summon an online player since I'm on the offline Xbox version.

Mmm, yeah might. I know one of the two vanishes if you do the Dancer skip, so probably.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
HOOOOOLEEEE SHIIIIIITTTTT :aaaaa: Yhorm is not one of the face hole giants, he actually does have a face under the hood.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah it's kind of weird when his face was a hole in the intro but whatever I'm not a giant biology expert.
Also, without being too specific (just the name of the place will do), is there another place to meet Patches? I met him at Firelink in one playthrough but now he never appears even after I get the key. :shrug: I also wasn't able to find him again to make him apologize for the time at Firelink.

e: Okay, he appeared at Firelink again after I killed the DOTD, but I still have the same problem where I go back to where he was and he's not there.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 10, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah, there's another place you can meet Patches: in the cathedral level (where you fight DotD).

Mooks
Apr 18, 2007

Well! What is it!

Space Harrier posted:

I saw summon signs outside her room and Vordts yesterday.

Edit: Is it only weapon upgrades and level that matter in matchmaking or does upgrading Estus count too?

Mooks fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 10, 2016

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Mooks posted:

Edit: Is it only weapon upgrades and level that matter in matchmaking or does upgrading Estus count too?

It doesn't, and probably the most effective way to twink out an early game invader right now seems to be to get 14+ fully upgraded estus flasks, put all your levels in vigor/vitality/endurance and use a raw astoras' straight sword. You're not going to be twoshotting hosts Dark Souls 1-style(though you will be oneshotting phantoms w/ hornet ring ripostes) but you are effectively unkillable to early game characters.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Nickoten posted:

Yeah, there's another place you can meet Patches: in the cathedral level (where you fight DotD).

:psyduck: I thought I had been over the whole area this time. Oh well.

e:

Hello darkness, my old friend

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 10, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Did covenant item droprates really improve off of the silver knights? Was it only for the people who hit 400+ itemfind if so? One in 20 would be great but I'm not seeing that droprate.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 10, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This is about mid game spoilers.

Can someone tell me where to go next? Please pm me if possible, I really try not to spoil myself too much so I'm not skimming the thread and I've gotten this far by myself.

I just killed devourer of God's and it's a dead end. I've also killed deacons of the deep and gotten the doll, I just don't know where to go next.

I just want to try to go a little further (still have two more ember restoring items) before switching over to the English version for good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

This is about mid game spoilers.

Can someone tell me where to go next? Please pm me if possible, I really try not to spoil myself too much so I'm not skimming the thread and I've gotten this far by myself.

I just killed devourer of God's and it's a dead end. I've also killed deacons of the deep and gotten the doll, I just don't know where to go next.

I just want to try to go a little further (still have two more ember restoring items) before switching over to the English version for good.

The doll is what let you access Irithyll (the iced over city). There's a shallow lake leading to a sewer in Irithyll, past the bonfire in the chapel. In that area is a bonfire with a path beyond it to a new area.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Thanks. I think I just might need a little more clarification. Is this the lake that's under the bridge that leads into the city?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Indeed it is

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Thanks all, I found it and I have to say gently caress this place.

The real dark souls starts here.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Did covenant item droprates really improve off of the silver knights? Was it only for the people who hit 400+ itemfind if so? One in 20 would be great but I'm not seeing that droprate.

Same here. I was grinding a bit for Pale tongues and holy hell it took so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

GodspeedSphere posted:

Same here. I was grinding a bit for Pale tongues and holy hell it took so long.

323 itemfind, 100 silver knights down, still at five ears total overall and I'm quite sure three of them were wold-drop pickups. I don't need the platinum, I need the goddamned miracle.

Staying at SL75 since it'll be the one and only miracle left until the trophy. The miracle I want and need. Godfuckingdamnit.

e: HOW THE gently caress DO THESE loving BLUEBRO COVENANTS MOTHERFUCKING WORK?!
QUESTION: If you have a character that has that black mark, has used Yeol's services and gone hollow, and you have had a bluebro covenant work and summon you, I will need to hear you say so.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 10, 2016

• Locked thread