Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay need some advice here. Made it further now I think I'm stuck before two dragons. Any tips there? I also found a place called untended Graves but I think it's an optional area. Haven't killed boss yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Anyone else here as crazily optimistic as my jolly co-op buddy is that we'll be able to keep using these JP game Xbone One characters once the EN/US version opens? I'm not hopeful but my drat char is finally starting to make some sense and we're not going to beat the game before Tuesday, so it'd be pretty sweet if so. (it ain't going to happen)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Okay need some advice here. Made it further now I think I'm stuck before two dragons. Any tips there? I also found a place called untended Graves but I think it's an optional area. Haven't killed boss yet.

Untended Graves is indeed optional.

For the dragons, try looking down.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Anyone else here as crazily optimistic as my jolly co-op buddy is that we'll be able to keep using these JP game Xbone One characters once the EN/US version opens? I'm not hopeful but my drat char is finally starting to make some sense and we're not going to beat the game before Tuesday, so it'd be pretty sweet if so. (it ain't going to happen)

It'll work fine. The two versions use the same title ID, so they automatically use the same save file. Unless the US version is out of date at the time of release, your character will transfer over with no additional action required on your part.

To be clear, this only applies to the Xbone version of the game, not the PS4 version.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Which is easiest to get in a timely fashion, Carthus Flame Arc or Sunlight Blade?

I'm still trying to decide on Dex/Faith build or Pyromancer :negative:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Do we know if the King's Ultra GS is back in 3?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Which is easiest to get in a timely fashion, Carthus Flame Arc or Sunlight Blade?

I'm still trying to decide on Dex/Faith build or Pyromancer :negative:

Carthus Flame Arc, but only by a little. It's hidden in the Catacombs. Lightning Blade is obtained by killing a mini-boss type enemy in an optional area that you get to from the Catacombs.

FireWorksWell posted:

Do we know if the King's Ultra GS is back in 3?

It is not, to my knowledge.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Carthus Flame Arc, but only by a little. It's hidden in the Catacombs. Lightning Blade is obtained by killing a mini-boss type enemy in an optional area that you get to from the Catacombs.

It is not, to my knowledge.

The answer, predictably, makes my decision no easier :argh:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Fresh character with no hollowing or sins or nothing, bluebros covenant badge pulsating, signalling it works, SL20 no upgrades in the Undead Settlement, 15 minutes without getting summoned. Switch matchmaking, another 15 minutes pass with nothing happening. Then how do all these blue motherfuckers get summoned into action whenever I invade?!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Funkmaster General posted:

It'll work fine. The two versions use the same title ID, so they automatically use the same save file. Unless the US version is out of date at the time of release, your character will transfer over with no additional action required on your part.

To be clear, this only applies to the Xbone version of the game, not the PS4 version.

This would be excellent to find out if true, so I hope you're right. I thought I saw somewhere that the JP version had 'TM' in the title and the US had 'R' or some other ridiculous mild discrepancy.

I failed to get the 5th upgrade from Yoel before he died and nothing replaced him. Have I ruined my game? I was thinking it didn't matter, if the saves don't transfer anyway. but now..... visions of sadness

Orv
May 4, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

Fresh character with no hollowing or sins or nothing, bluebros covenant badge pulsating, signalling it works, SL20 no upgrades in the Undead Settlement, 15 minutes without getting summoned. Switch matchmaking, another 15 minutes pass with nothing happening. Then how do all these blue motherfuckers get summoned into action whenever I invade?!

I think you might be cursed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The answer, predictably, makes my decision no easier :argh:

Go with flame arc, imo. There are more than a few tough enemies in the game that are weak to fire, and it only requires 10 Int/Fth while Lightning Blade requires a heftier 30 Fth. Especially since if you're willing to get a few more Att slots you can use offensive pyromancies, some of which are quite good.

Ether Frenzy posted:

This would be excellent to find out if true, so I hope you're right. I thought I saw somewhere that the JP version had 'TM' in the title and the US had 'R' or some other ridiculous mild discrepancy.

I failed to get the 5th upgrade from Yoel before he died and nothing replaced him. Have I ruined my game? I was thinking it didn't matter, if the saves don't transfer anyway. but now..... visions of sadness

If you have not received 5 levels from Yoel before he dies (which happens as soon as you kill the Abyss Watchers) then you will not be able to meet a certain NPC whose quest line is probably the most significant in the game. But you could always just try again in ng+ or on another character, since this is a game meant to be replayed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Go with flame arc, imo. There are more than a few tough enemies in the game that are weak to fire, and it only requires 10 Int/Fth while Lightning Blade requires a heftier 30 Fth. Especially since if you're willing to get a few more Att slots you can use offensive pyromancies, some of which are quite good.

Eh, yeah gently caress it I'll just do Pyromancer for the first character. Probably Raw Astora Straight Sword with Flame Arc until I can work on something that Chaos infuses worth a drat. Are there any weapons known to Chaos infuse worth a drat in particular?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Orv posted:

I think you might be cursed.

And then I tried again on an SL50 I had. Getting summoned like mad for PvE, getting invasions done like mad squeezing the big red ball, but not a single blue autosummon.

Broken, or the few blues there are really do sit hours in queue springing to life when they finally get summoned, because the PvP activity is such over all levels and zones.

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

Genocyber posted:

That's Lightning Stake. Lightning blade is in the Ithyll prison area which is a fair bit later.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Eh, yeah gently caress it I'll just do Pyromancer for the first character. Probably Raw Astora Straight Sword with Flame Arc until I can work on something that Chaos infuses worth a drat. Are there any weapons known to Chaos infuse worth a drat in particular?

Raw Astora's w/Flame Arc would probably last you through the entire game. That is a good god-damned sword for buffing.

As for infusions, it's like Dark Souls where you can only infuse pure physical standard weapons (i.e. upgrades with regular titanite) and the split damage is based off the base damage. In the case of the elemental paths that scale, I think the normal scaling affects them but I'm not 100% sure. Anything that's not super weak like a dagger should be fine, I would think.

Zombeef posted:

That's Lightning Stake. Lightning blade is in the Ithyll prison area which is a fair bit later.

Oh, you're right, drat. Hard to remember where poo poo is when I can't read it. So definitely Carthus Flame arc is available earliest, then.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Genocyber posted:

This is not how you get Lightning Blade (don't know why it's called that in this game instead of Sunlight Blade, but w/e), that's how you get Lightning Stake, which is an attack miracle. You get Lightning Blade by falling off the elevator in Irithyll that brings you down to where the abyss snake dudes are early before it completely descends. I can't exactly tell you how early that is in the game because I don't know, but I do know that if you do things the regular way without any skipping it's toward the end game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay uh I just killed all 4 Lords of cinders. Kind of lost at where to go or what to do now. I thought the last one would be the actual end boss and credits would roll.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Okay uh I just killed all 4 Lords of cinders. Kind of lost at where to go or what to do now. I thought the last one would be the actual end boss and credits would roll.

I think the Fire Keeper has some stuff to tell you. That or it's some option at the bonfire.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ether Frenzy posted:

One version has the TM and the other doesn't. That's not what a title ID is though, that's just the name of the game. The title ID is a string of numbers that identifies the game, like an ISBN number or a UPC code. The two versions have the same identifier, so as far as the console is concerned they are the same game and share achievements, save files, etc.

I know this will work because I did it myself, not because of a guess. When the Japanese version was at 1.01 and the US version was at 1.0 I moved a character from the US to the Japanese by just launching the Japanese version. I could not go backward, but this was because the version number of the save file was higher than that of the game, so trying to load the character caused a dialogue to appear telling me to update my game. Right now, both versions are on 1.03 and saves are fully compatible.

There's two things that could cause this not to work on launch day:

1) The Japanese version gets another patch before US launch and we don't have it yet.

2) A title update causes one version to adopt a different title ID. This is extremely unlikely as it would cause a large number of issues with licensing, etc, but might actually be cool because it would mean the two versions would have a separate achievement list.

Edit: Once again, for clarity, the entirety of this post applies only to the Xbone.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

The Astora Greatsword gets A/A for int and faith when chaos (or dark) infused at max upgrade. I used that on my pyromancer character and it was fine, although the appropriate clutch ring was basically necessary.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ineffiable posted:

Put their ashes on the thrones, talk to the firekeeper

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
So after reflecting on my first playthrough for a few days I've decided that (late game boss spoiler):

The Twin Princes are my favorite boss fight in any Souls game. The dialogue, lore, atmosphere, music and THAT TWIST! Plus, the fight itself is hard without ever feeling cheap. God drat that boss fight is a work of art.

Man just listen to this epic track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFRaZs6ri7s

Meatsicle fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 11, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MrLonghair posted:

QUESTION: If you have a character that has that black mark, has used Yeol's services and gone hollow, and you have had a bluebro covenant work and summon you, I will need to hear you say so.

Yoel was dead and gone and I was still getting blue sentinel summons in certain lategame areas, since I recorded the whole playthrough I can probably find one of them if you want proof...

Unrelated: my adventures today :buddy:...:tinfoil:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/LinedFailingHammerheadbird.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4egDalBLZlQ

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Meatsicle posted:

So after reflecting on my first playthrough for a few days I've decided that (late game boss spoiler):

The Twin Princes are my favorite boss fight in any Souls game. The dialogue, lore, atmosphere, music and THAT TWIST! Plus, the fight itself is hard without ever feeling cheap. God drat that boss fight is a work of art.

Man just listen to this epic track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFRaZs6ri7s

:agreed:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yo thats a spooby freaking gif right there turtle, my skeleton is shaking.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The binocular take-out animation is terrifying.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Computer just turned off out of nowhere, probably the PSU or the motherboard fried

I'm cursed :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Raw Astora's w/Flame Arc would probably last you through the entire game. That is a good god-damned sword for buffing.

As for infusions, it's like Dark Souls where you can only infuse pure physical standard weapons (i.e. upgrades with regular titanite) and the split damage is based off the base damage. In the case of the elemental paths that scale, I think the normal scaling affects them but I'm not 100% sure. Anything that's not super weak like a dagger should be fine, I would think.

Oh, you're right, drat. Hard to remember where poo poo is when I can't read it. So definitely Carthus Flame arc is available earliest, then.

Sounds good. The only reason I'm considering a non-Astora/Flame Arc weapon at all is for PvP purposes. Astora probably isn't my best option there.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Mild, mild spoilers follow as I suddenly fall Victim to a trap.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/KinkyMonkey577/video/16490172

Marginally more spoilers here. I was having difficulty with the NPC battle, so I summoned a friend. I had a chuckle.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/KinkyMonkey577/video/16491773

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Knight Slayer not so much :smug:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Made thread for the worldwide release, will close this one tomorrow at 6 PM Est (since that's when it releases on PC).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771816

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Good to see that even in this diminished age of embers Black Knights don't take poo poo from nobody.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Genocyber posted:

yoel stuff

Funkmaster General posted:

Xbone master race JP/EN character crossover stuff

Thanks knowledgebros. Praise the sun. I'll get that first one fixed in NG+ it looks like.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Speaking of Yoel, people found out that A) you gain one point of hollowing per death for every Dark Sigil you have, and B) Yoel gives free levels at 0, 2, 6, 12, and 16 hollowing. Go launch yourself off a cliff a couple times each and reap the rewards.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 11, 2016

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Wow that was a wonderful game. I finished it yesterday, completely justifying my early 8000 japanese dollars spent on the game.

Dis anyone else think that the last boss was easier during his Gwyn phase? Totally predictable and dodgable attacks, easy to punish after his 2 different jump attacks and just kinda slow and fair. It felt fresh to have a slower more methodical bossfight after fighting all of these aggressive fuckers.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

Yoel was dead and gone and I was still getting blue sentinel summons in certain lategame areas, since I recorded the whole playthrough I can probably find one of them if you want proof...

How long were you waiting?! :psyduck:

Genocyber posted:

Made thread for the worldwide release, will close this one tomorrow at 6 PM Est (since that's when it releases on PC).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771816

Let us all remember it's time to use spoilertags again.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Dis anyone else think that the last boss was easier during his Gwyn phase? Totally predictable and dodgable attacks, easy to punish after his 2 different jump attacks and just kinda slow and fair. It felt fresh to have a slower more methodical bossfight after fighting all of these aggressive fuckers.

It was really easy overall but that is what you expect from the final Souls boss.

MrLonghair posted:

How long were you waiting?! :psyduck:

My number of blue pings went down substantially when I hit L60+/reached the last two LOC areas, before that maybe every 7-15 minutes? At a certain point they really stopped altogether, in the last LOC area (Lothric C). I'm listing areas as well as levels because I don't know what the trigger actually is for them slowing down so much. e: Actually it's probably just that hosts aren't in Way of the Blue anymore, so you're supposed to make the transition to Darkmoon at that point but I haven't figured out how to access that cov yet.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 11, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Eygon, the friend of the miraclegirl, is a summon for at least two bossfights. It's a good idea to be friends with them. Mind blown.

turtlecrunch posted:

My number of blue pings went down substantially when I hit L60+/reached the last two LOC areas, before that maybe every 7-15 minutes? At a certain point they really stopped altogether, in the last LOC area (Lothric C). I'm listing areas as well as levels because I don't know what the trigger actually is for them slowing down so much. e: Actually it's probably just that hosts aren't in Way of the Blue anymore, so you're supposed to make the transition to Darkmoon at that point but I haven't figured out how to access that cov yet.

I've got a sweet SL15 invader prepared.

An SL15 invader that right now is waiting for host and two summons to come the gently caress down from the very first bonfire in Highwall. Just killed one host and set of summons that ran to that very bonfire to spawn after I killed off one summon after the other, then stood still as if waiting for the summon to come. And before that one I killed another host playing the summon a full squad at the first bonfire-game. I pity the time they lose doing this while I run some paperwork and mailing on the other screen.

e: and that ended with the message that the connection to the host had been lost. Instead of entering boss fog one way or another, the dumb motherfucker force closed the game or pulled the plug. The phantoms stayed up there. Jesus christ, in Monster Hunter the Monsters don't come to you, you go after them with your friends, GO! These Japanese hosts are bad at being Japanese gamers. FROM THAT INVASION I GO STRAIGHT INTO ANOTHER WITH HOST AND SUMMON AT FIRST BONFIRE DOING NOTHING BUT WAITING. Please come and bring us the 1v1, international gamers!

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

turtlecrunch posted:

Unrelated: my adventures today :buddy:...:tinfoil:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/LinedFailingHammerheadbird.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4egDalBLZlQ

If that's the spot I think it is, it's actually right under the room with the drawbridge. Maybe one of those dudes got aggroed / killed a long time ago, and zoning in made his head fall :tinfoil:

• Locked thread