Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
To Alabaster: Warping should world; it's the first option in the Bonfire Menu. You should be able to access the High Wall of Lothric and start your journey there.

Like others have said, this game is pretty amazing, and PVP isn't even THAT terribly laggy considering I'm mostly interacting with people an ocean away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

AS BAD AS LATRIA

LITERALLY FRIGHTENED TO CONTINUE

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

e: someone found one hidden wall behind another hidden wall. WHERE?!

Mid-game(?) spoiler In New Lost Izalith (Loster Izalith), before the basilisks there is a wall hiding a chest, behind the chest is another hidden wall hiding a small shortcut and a catalyst.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

In my experience the Dark Souls 3 "I'm getting invaded and scared about it" kit includes the helmet from the Lothric Knights, the Butcher's Knife, and two phantoms glued to his hip.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Huh, I just beat the game and felt like I explored really thoroughly and didn't know about that boss at all.

This game is simply sublime. Even missing a ton of NPC storylines and all of the item descriptions I can tell how much effort was put into making it a worthy capstone to the series.

Can't wait for the DLC; coming November 18th for Japan and December 5th for the rest of the world.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Yo I I just reached rank 2 in the Darkmoon Covenant; here's how I think it works it works:

The PVP mechanic is the same as the Blue Sentinels, with you being passively summoned into the worlds of hosts who have been invaded. There is no Blue Eye Orb, or if it does exist is the Rank 3 Covenant reward or some NG+ thing. You can be summoned by invasions from both red and purple phantoms, and if there are multiple invaders will stay in the host's world until they're all dead (and get ears for each one). I don't know if the host needs to be in the Way of Blue for you to be summoned.

The only special thing related to Sin I've encountered is that instead of giving a normal ear of vengeance, certain invaders gave a special 'Two Ears' item when killed that proclaimed they had 'grievously sinned against god' and could be used to get two ears of vengeance.

I found the covenant around level 45 and kept it on till the end of the game at level 70. Most of the time I got summoned slowly but regularly every 20 to 25 minutes, but today I tried to grind out a couple more counter-invasions and only got four bites in three hours, so it can be pretty miserable playing outside of Japanese prime-time.

Being a spirit of vengeance is still cool, and there was one amazing time when I was summoned to assist a host who had used the dried fingers solo and was trying to drown himself in the blood of invaders, but it is somewhat disappointing as most of the encounters you'll have is turning a 1v3 into a 1v4. Also, the covenant leader is one of the few that talks, and what they say as you rank up is pretty interesting.

I might've missed some kind of big mechanic but yeah it seems like a different flavor of blue sentinel.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

I ended up farming a covenant item off of two enemies in the late game. The drop rate is miserly, and I now have over one million souls. They still respawn.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

For anyone who missed the 10am Wedneday release and was wondering what real early PvP looked like I've uploaded some minimally edited footage I took in the first two days. Obvious spoilers for the areas up to and a little after the third boss.

https://fat.gfycat.com/OldMeaslyJunco.webm

Scrree fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 28, 2016

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Remember how in the Bloodborne launch there was a completely hidden equipment weight system, and how the pocket lantern was the heaviest item in the game and slowed stamina regen by 33%?

Expect more patches, and more ridiculous patch notes.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

If you want a cool looking weapon that's strong as gently caress pick up any kind of rapier. Apparently the third hit in their R1 chain is always parryable but you wouldn't know it from how many times I've failed :negative:

Thrusting weapons in general are pretty crazy. They've basically added shortsword level tracking to all of the smaller weapons so raw range has become a lot more important than horizontal sweep.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

In general the boss quality of Dark Souls 3 is off the charts. I can't think of a a single stinker, and even the more basic earlier bosses would be considered well above average if ported back to any previous game.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Late game secret area spoilers, Untended Graves: what do I do with this bonfire blade and... weird blueberries?

Full spoilers: The bonfire blade is just the infinite homeward bone item in this game.

As for the 'blueberries', talk to the Bonfire Keeper. There will be a new dialogue option.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Official Dark Souls 3 Weapon Tier List:

FUGS
Estus
Having Summons
Rapiers
Pyromancy
Halberds
Club +0
Sorcery
Plank Shield
Miracles

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

After a couple of hours losing my goddamn mind invading in the High Wall of Lothric I've determined an objective difference between this games PVP and it's predecessors.

Weapons in the early game are essentially wiffle bats. As far as I can tell they decided to scale back enemy health and player weapon damage by half (DS2 Hollow Soldier > 270hp, DS3 Hollow Thief > 130HP) but reduce player HP by about a third. This means that were it'd take 4-6 hits to kill a player in DS2 it takes 6-8 to kill a phantom and 8-10 to kill the ember'd up host in DS3. This, combined with better rolls and much faster healing, means that fights will almost always go to attrition and the invader absolutely needs to rely on NPC enemies since the chance they'll kill phantoms is so much lower.

Late game PVP is, of course, the opposite of this. With the FUGS breaking the game's scaling over it's knee with incredible violence and removing players from the game with it's two hit auto-combo.

:darksouls:

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

As far as I've heard and experienced, no one knows what poise actually does and hyper-armor is weapon specific + totally unbreakable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm4IOCkc5n0&t=890s

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

double posting in 2016... so lame

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

It's important to be careful when comparing damage numbers between games because Dark Souls 3 has a significantly lower floor for damage and health numbers in general.

Basic hollow soldiers have 270hp in DS2 and around 130-150 in DS3 - both die in two hits to a longsword in each game. Likewise, Ironclad Turtle Knights have 540hp and Lothric Knights have around 330hp, but the latter probably takes at least a couple more hits to kill due to lower player damage.

Player stats have experienced similar, but not quite as severe deflation. The Knight class from DS2 has 950hp with 12 Vigor while most DS3 characters start around 500-600 and only get close to four digits around 20 vigor.

Assuming this scaling is consistent throughout the game (and I believe it is) then it'd actually make the numbers for sorcery pretty comparable. Soul Arrow does 450ish damage in DS2 at super high int, and just as expected it does a little over half that (240ish) in DS3

However, just because scaling is similar at very high levels of stat investment does not mean they're necessarily parallel throughout the rest of the game. What people are arguing is a bug is the fact that leveling INT/FAI from 10-30 and upgrading a catalyst from +0 to +10 seems to have basically minimal effect on damage, and that's significantly different from previous games and also basically not at all similar to how STR/DEX physical weapons scale.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 31, 2016

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

It's like From looked at the DS2 DLC and said "Hm, large vertical spaces with impressive setpiece bosses are really interesting and fun to play through, why don't we make a whole game of that?" and then they did and it's incredible.

You can tell how much more confident they are in their level design by how constrained they are when it comes to bosses, and how high the quality floor is for them. There is no Armored Spider/Iron Golem/Dragonrider in this game just sitting around say "I'm a big guy with a repetitive moveset, beat me up to advance!"

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Anyone know how to get to this item in Irithyll Dungeon?

Back inside the place you came from there should be a closed door at the end of a hallway; upper floor.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Meatsicle posted:

Ok so I guess I was wrong about the area invasion covenants. Something was changed with the last patch because on my new play through I get very sparse watchdog invasions, but if I use the orb in that area it's almost always instant. First play through I max'd the covenant in like 2 hours from the constant stream of invasions.

You might have leveled your weapon too high. PVP in this game is apparently based off of Soul Level and Weapon Level, so taking a weapon from +4 to +5 will (irrevocably) make it so you can't invade anyone with an =<+4 weapon. I noticed in my first playthrough a huge dropoff in PVP when I took my weapon to +10.

You can buff/resin Heavy/Sharp/Refined/Raw infusions because they're pure physical, but no others. There are a lot of tricks in this game and I can't wait for the english community to get a chance to really dig into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnlzFBOWWA

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

I think I've tried that too but 90% of the time it meant the host would never come up the ramp.

I guess you could do a black knight cosplay quite early in DS3 but I don't know how grindy that gets and you can only get the one weapon if you're doing that early run for it.

e: Though if you can beat Dancer and Onceiros (and I guess the second Gundyr) at SL1... :getin:

not just SL1, but SL1 with at most a +3 weapon. Otherwise you'll just be invading end-game players with +10 weapons and the whole thing will just be an exercise in masochism.

'Properly' twinking in this game is going to be pretty brutal - two of the rings you really want (+5 Dex and +5 Faith) are locked behind the end game area, and late game bosses definitely assume your wielding something stronger than a toothpick. I fought the Dancer and DS Armor at Sl25 with a +3 Uchigatana character and it probably took four hours of attempts for each boss.

A build I'm thinking of now is to use the Sun Sword in the offhand, two-hand it at the start of fights and use it's special L2 Sacred Oath buff, and then switch to some kind of pokey rapier/halberd/lance weapon with the Leo Ring for obscene counter-hit damage. Assuming the system works like people think it does From honestly did a pretty good job of making the DS1 style 'invader kills host in two hits with a lighting weapon' setups completely impossible, which is almost certainly better for the health of the game.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

If we're making tenuous connections between gameplay and story, the boss we're discussing does not suffer bleed damage.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Nickoten posted:

Has anyone ever invaded as a red phantom (pure red, Rosaria's fingers) and had enemies in the host's world aggro on them? It's happened to me twice now and it's really frustrating. And I don't mean that some enemies have been hit with undead rapport, I mean all of the enemies treat me as though I'm a white/gold phantom or the host.

Seed of a Tree of Giants

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Space Harrier posted:

I'm getting ready to do a very un-Dark Souls thing and admit total defeat against the Dancer of the Boreal Valley- At least until the English Xbox One version gets online and I can summon for the boss. I've got her attack patterns down solid in phase 1, but I just cannot do effective damage against her in phase 2. Hugging the pillars on the side of the arena keeps me safe, but I have no way of doing effective damage without getting slaughtered by a combo. Pyromancy does a reasonable amount of damage, but leaves me too wide open to attack. I'm sure I've tried this boss at least 30 times. Any advice for Phase 2? and is it possible to summon an NPC for this fight that I may have missed?

Don't give up! She's a really great boss and you'll feel incredibly accomplished once you get past her.

I twink setup at SL 25 and it took like four hours. Here is some advice:

*If you can buy it, apply bleed resin to your weapon. She's vulnerable to it and if you can apply it twice during the fight it'll help a substantial amount.

*For her phase one the most consistent place to be is on her weaponless side - dodge the grab, get free hits.

*This changes when she goes to phase two - You want to be directly in front of her with as much space as possible behind you. - she has some incredibly fast punishes if you're behind or to her side, but can be baited into using three slow attacks (overhead smash, upwards sweep with both swords, double stab) that leave her vulnerable from the front. She's the antithesis of a Bloodborne boss, with wide sweeping combos to her sides but generally poor range if the player dodges backwards.

*I rarely ever went to the sides of the room. Even if it let me get a free hit, it didn't feel like it was worth the risk of getting boxed in.

*When she starts to beyblade (which she always does when she first draws her second sword) it actually takes her forever to reorient herself if you can get behind her. Use this time to heal or use resins. Likewise, once she finishes the attack she's completely vulnerable for at least two hits.

edit: i'm a complete idiot and somehow missed that the post was from last page and you already beat her. welp

Scrree fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

SWEET poo poo.

FOUR HOURS ON DANCER WITH A +2 BANDIT KNIFE.

STRENGTH RING YOU ARE MINE!

• Locked thread