Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Moon Monster posted:

Is this game preloading yet? I pre-ordered it but couldn't figure out how to download it, if that's possible. The OP of the other thread is a huge enabler and I hate it. Oh well, if I can play Japanese Monster Hunter I can play Japanese Dark Souls.

Glad to be of service.

Yes it is preloading, though mine didn't start till just now when I turned on the PS4 so don't just set it to rest mode, log in once to your JPN account. It DLs a 4GB chunk followed by the other 15GB or whatever of it. If it doesn't start automatically after you log in go to it in your library and click the download button. Make sure you have the connect-to-internet function enabled for rest mode on your JPN account too.

You should also be able to see it on your main account at this time if you have them both set to primary.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
11AM EST/8AM PST @ March 23, 2016 is what I worked out in the other thread at some point

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Are yes responses on the left and up or right and bottom?

e: Actually even better is this what "yes" looks like - はい

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 23, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

30 min

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://zippy.gfycat.com/MilkyThoroughCockroach.webm
I don't think this is supposed to be how I get down here. :v:

Also an onion knight walked off the elevator in the abandoned church but I was being chased by a monster and I tried to lure the monster down the elevator and when I rode the elevator came back up the onion knight was gone. :cry: So just a warning to all DON'T TAKE THAT ELEVATOR TOO SOON.

PS Provided you play on your main account you get to learn the boss names as you beat them, from the trophies.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ZZZorcerer posted:

He probably changed places, that elevator he comes out you can change going up or down by setting it on and getting out, on your way up you can drop midway to the top, you'll find your friend there chilling

Yeah I figured this out when I went back and the elevator went up on its own haha. But thanks (spoiler)! :D

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Bosses defeated on day one:

Iudex Gundyr :B
Fat Frost Knight of Boreal Valley (forgot real name)
Curse-rotted Greatwood

Minibosses(?):

Big Crystal Lizard
Fire Beast
Asylum Demon
Agile Frost Knight of Boreal Valley (dunked down elevator hole)

NPCs:

Naked katana guy
Naked butcher knife lady
Two nerds near the teleporting witch bonfire that ran off a ledge when I tried to climb down a ladder to get away from them

On the menu for tomorrow...

Teleporting Swamp Witch
That big fucker in the swamp

Also shitloads of reds gangbanged as a blue sentinel lmao

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 24, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
PS this game is amazing

Double PS "I help any time" even if you did kill me like 10 times while I was trying to jump to that cliff rear end in a top hat :3:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If you opened the shortcut with the rat tunnel, go from bonfire > through rat tunnel > across the bridge to your right when you come out of rat tunnel > past a bunch of those red cloak saw guys into what is called "the abandoned church" by a nearby NPC > down the elevator > kill enemy to proceed

If you haven't opened that shortcut, from the entrance to the tree boss room you need to run straight in the opposite direction. There will be a gang of Bloodborne mooks patrolling the straightaway, led by a priest. Bridge will be on your left at the end of the straightaway, rat tunnel and shortcut on your right.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 24, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Bleeding is srs bsns :eyepop:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The most important NPC confirmed. :buddy:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I guess I have to ask since I am going hollow facing this dumb boss over and over and over again - is there a move or something that keeps the gang of popes boss from taking damage in the second phase? I know the two blue friends can heal it but sometimes I'm hitting it and there are no numbers at all. Is it switching to another guy or something?

How fun to face two bosses in a row that resist magic... :smith:

EDIT: On the run immediately after this post, I beat it. :downs:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 24, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You guys are fast... I think I'm on maybe the fifth or sixth boss lol.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah the areas are really dense, except for this new one so far where I ran up a path full of darkwraiths and the boss was right at the end. I'm assuming it's a gatekeeper-type boss to a new area because it's really easy. I still died though. :thumbsup:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
nah...nah...im good thx...

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mr E posted:

Is the game seeming fine to play through without English items on the ps4? Gonna buy this after work if so.

I have not translated anything except for one item since it seemed important. The rest of it you can figure out by trial and error, purple moss is still purple, etc. Or you can just run around ignoring status effects and bleed to death because leeches don't come off. The one thing to make sure you do is keep checking back with the old lady merchant and the little king after you kill each boss till you can trade in the items they need (it appears as an extra dialogue option but if you can't read it you might not think anything of it).

e: You should also check in with the depressed knight every once in a while, he tells you how to open a gate for example. You might figure it out anyway if you stumble across the appropriate cutscene, but he makes it clear.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I enjoyed the time I successfully identified a mimic and then it one-shotted me with a little kick anyway.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Moon Monster posted:

What is this item anyway, I missed my chance to grab it.

It looked like some sort of titanite chunk...maybe...? I didn't translate it and I don't have the game open now.

Also omg (location spoiler) :swoon:

MrLonghair posted:

Ahahahaha a sorcery that requires 50 INT I think I'll pass :v:

Yaaaassssssss

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Bunny posted:

Where do I go after beating the Deacons of the Deep guys. The bunch of priest guys with the red aura.

Did you do the other path out of the hell swamp through the huge blue stone door yet? Has three unlit torches in front of it. Try talking to the sad knight at the hub.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Ah yes, an even stronger Martyr Logarius that spawns a ghost clone instead of a lame ghost sword in phase 2, this is what I wanted. This is what I wanted Miyazaki. Thank you, thank you for the definitive Souls... :shepicide:

Also is there a sorcery teacher besides the pilgrim then Yuria, the little king, and the old firekeeper hag before or in the ice castle place? I probably left them behind somewhere, would be nice to rock something more advanced than heavy soul arrow for range...

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well I get oneshotted by a few of its attacks and I don't remember that happening with Logarius, maybe it's time to grind for HP but I really would rather not. I'll look around the level now though. :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Moon Monster posted:

He reminded me of the Fume Knight. Definitely the hardest boss I've fought so far. There is a decent NPC that you can summon right outside his room. It'll probably make the fight take longer, but he can stay alive and the distraction is nice because otherwise the boss will punish you every time you use your flask.

For now I looked around like I was told to, didn't find anything, then ran off to this other area I unlocked and was attacked by Japanese scrolling text for a while. At least it's progress! :downs:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
My first invader, not counting the time I afk'd at a bonfire with my ember on. Poor guy, if he had just waited a minute I would have offed myself for him because apparently I can only pay attention to one enemy at a time.
https://a.pomf.cat/mcajzh.webm

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

How's being a Sorcerer? I've seen people complaining that sorcery is really underpowered but Soul Greatsword is always cool.

Not being able to find the advanced sorcery tutor is killing my will to live, other than that I have been playing hybrid a lot more than I would like, but yes Soul Greatsword is a great sword. Its range is incredible. I am in the/a? blue spirit covenant, and whenever I encounter some sort of bucklerparrydoucher, I give them a couple R1s to prompt the parry then activate the soul greatsword.

There is at least one boss that will force the average beginner sorcerer to go melee or use an alternative form of magic no matter what. The boss happens to be completely shut down by melee attacks and is extremely resistant to sorcery, as well as punishing any sort of delay on your attacks by firing its own barrage of magic at you.

Many enemies are far more fast and aggressive so if you actually want to pewpew them you have to really carefully plan your position and approach, and in some cases it's just not feasible. I also spend a lot of time just running past enemies I beat once before not because I would run out of magic, but because fighting them is too much of a hassle with sorceries.

It's a struggle, but sometimes very satisfying. I think it might be harder to backstab in PVP because I've hardly seen anyone try even when I'm lumbering through my various casting animations.

PS casting sorceries costs a noticeable amount of stamina

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 27, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
(major spoiler in a couple different kinds of ways - past the Martyr Logarius/pope boss) Dark Souls III: Prepare to Cry

+ same area That thing in O&S's room uses magic and a bow ohhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooo :cry:
+ same area - Found a covenant in a pit of water with 2 frost dog guards in it, in the corner there is a fat guy and the covenant is Aldritch Faithful, not sure what it does because the servers are making GBS threads the bed again - to get to the pit you have to find an illusory wall in the first tower behind the street with all the collapsed giants and firethrowing guys

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
http://pastebin.com/mey7fF1X
http://imgur.com/a/r4yMj
lol (no spoilers/minor intro enemy spoilers)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

How do I get to this item/the upper floor? I have run around the entire building and the exterior. It's the building in front of the Crystal Sage boss in the swamp, the item is on the upper floor in the hallway right before the boss where those two nerds fire soul darts at you.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

turtlecrunch posted:

How do I get to this item/the upper floor? I have run around the entire building and the exterior. It's the building in front of the Crystal Sage boss in the swamp, the item is on the upper floor in the hallway right before the boss where those two nerds fire soul darts at you.

omfg the path was sort of off to the side of a crumbled stair right outside the room and the sorcery teacher was there too :cry:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

put on my magic resist equipment and I'm ready for the catwalk :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You can invade 1v1 (or 2 defenders vs 1 host :getin:) in the Aldritch Faithful covenant. I also had a regular red murder me while I was afk at a bonfire in the area before that, I had no summons.

I also had an instance where there were 2 defenders, 1 purple guy, 1 host, and 1 sunny. Basically what I'm saying is AF is the place to be.

e: The level for AF is also nice because there are empty, mostly flat honorable duel areas as well as places where you can be a total rear end in a top hat using the enemies.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 27, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

net cafe scandal posted:

There doesn't seem to be video proof yet but consensus seems to be that both miracles and sorceries are bugged out the rear end right now and that increasing INT/FAI or upgrading spell tools have absolutely no effect on damage. If there was one thing that needed to be fixed in that day one patch, it's that, because the new animations for magic are incredibly good and I'm probably going to roll three different characters just to try out every spell in the game once it's fixed.

I chose...poorly. :negative:

Anyway I finally beat Aldritch and moved onto the area after DOTFV, and I have to say the hits keep coming in this game. I went down, heard a kind of screaming, went through the fog and... :eyepop: and then :eyepop: again after I did a bit of damage. And now I'm exploring upstairs and well The Way is Shut and it was the most amazing way of blocking my path ever and I love this game...

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well I touched the bonfire and it warped me somewhere with great ceremony so I guess I'm near/at the end of the game. I had to take a break right after warping because I've been playing for too long. I did have to summon for Goldie and the Kid because I kept running out of MP. I could have used Magic Weapon but goddamnit I don't play sorcerer to melee poo poo. :argh:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Oh, I have one of these -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTtjf8ArvTc

It's an enemy spoiler so don't look if you haven't been to the nice part of the swamp yet.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
make izalith great again

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah the dark fog just kinda sucks back up into the goblet and that's it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Concurred posted:

I love when japanese patch notes are translated and you see "phenomenon" everywhere

Laughing at how true this is.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Okay, I saw an explanation somewhere about the whole magic thing that is so loving dumb it must be true, because no one could make it up. Apparently the whole problem is that they mixed up the stats. Somehow. Meaning that upgrading FAI raises sorcery damage and raising INT upgrades miracle damage. Now this is just something I heard somewhere and I don't have the game to actually test it personally, but it's so stupid it must be true.

Trying to think if I can respec my 50 INT into FAI for now but no I need INT to meet requirements for casting things like soul spear and the lovely crystal breath spell that they kept in despite it being dumb (though it does look cool) :rip:

Also I have a +10 S-scaling non-starter staff and 50 INT so I guess I can go compare that tonight but I don't think my results will be different from anyone else's. I did obliterate some boss last night in 5 or 6 soul spears though.

Alabaster White posted:

I also found Yeorm but I can't figure out how to damage him. Anyone got a hint?

I just shot him with magic and he died. :shrug: Unless Yeorm is distinct from Yhorm.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 29, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Oenis posted:

I remember seeing a rough outline of all the areas in the game and how they're connected. That was posted in this thread here, right? I thought it was neat and would like to see it again, if possible.

Lots and lots of elevators

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

lets hang out posted:

His legs are super resistant to damage so melee players have to either attack his arms until he falls over for a visceral or just use the storm ruler to kill him in 6 shots.

Haha... :smug:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I don't think I have completed/advanced a single storyline with any NPC beyond meeting them for the first time, and I sure haven't met them all either. Second playthrough coming soon I hope...

e: Actually that's not true, I did get Yoel killed for some reason and then some new person took his place and hasn't said anything different since almost the beginning of the game except to tell me that Anri is my husbando, except I haven't seen Anri in years so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I guess I'm less disappointed about that because the areas themselves are very dense and the interior paths are tightly interwoven, and you can still see Ash Lake from Tomb of the Giants, the forest from the town/bridges above, etc. Realizing that the giant monolithic city you see in the distance sometimes is a place you can actually go and not just a matte is satisfying...

• Locked thread