Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So am I correct in assuming the stuff on Manaan goes down basically the same when playing Republic, except of course Theron sends you down there and Lana gets you back out? Or should I just wait to see what happens to Quinnie there in his next update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paused posted:

So am I correct in assuming the stuff on Manaan goes down basically the same when playing Republic, except of course Theron sends you down there and Lana gets you back out? Or should I just wait to see what happens to Quinnie there in his next update?

Yep, it happens exactly like that. The Republic and Imperial versions of the Shadows of Revan storyline are functionally identical, just Imperials see more Lana and Maar while Republics see more Theron and Satele.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I think it's more "they're repeating themselves storytelling wise".

This is what I was trying to imply, yeah. It's OK to repeat plot points and set-pieces from time to time, and sometimes it's even unavoidable if you want to tell a good story. But when the plot points in question are major, reusing an empire-spanning conspiracy so 'soon' (chronologically, not in terms of actual production time) so soon after the end of your best story arc is probably a mistake. Makeb does act as a bit of a buffer between Shadows and the Agent's storyline, but Bioware doesn't always do the best job rearranging plot elements to tell new stories with similar scenes.

I could give some examples but some of them are spoilers for upcoming content that I am aware of but haven't played. Mostly I have Mort make comments like that to see if what we get is different than what the set-up makes me expect.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Back when I was still considering attempting KotFE, you better believe Abeena was going to be constantly saying "not this poo poo again."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, one key difference: the Star Cabal was a compelling antagonist with understandable and even sympathetic reasons for doing what it did. I can't say the same about the Revanites. They always struck me as a generic filler villain, especially since the entire story arc ends up being about propping up and showing how dangerous a certain wet fart of a bad guy is.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is what I was trying to imply, yeah. It's OK to repeat plot points and set-pieces from time to time, and sometimes it's even unavoidable if you want to tell a good story. But when the plot points in question are major, reusing an empire-spanning conspiracy so 'soon' (chronologically, not in terms of actual production time) so soon after the end of your best story arc is probably a mistake. Makeb does act as a bit of a buffer between Shadows and the Agent's storyline, but Bioware doesn't always do the best job rearranging plot elements to tell new stories with similar scenes.

I could give some examples but some of them are spoilers for upcoming content that I am aware of but haven't played. Mostly I have Mort make comments like that to see if what we get is different than what the set-up makes me expect.

Well, "galactic conspiracy" is one of the few avenues left to pursue at this point, since your PC is influential enough by this point that any given internal faction crisis could be feasibly dealt with just pointing and saying "cut it out".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 10: Hey, Remember That Game We Made One Time?

Click for Video

Sorry. I had to confirm some things before coming to see you.
As suspected, the Order of Revan as it once existed is no more. A bit of a shame, really.

I’m with you on the sentiment, but I wouldn’t be so quick to subscribe to their ideologies.
The Order of Revan, as it stands now, doesn’t wish to change the Empire from within. It aims to destroy us completely, and the Republic along with us.

After what Arkous has done--after betraying me, the Empire--I’m not eager to trust anyone. I still believe Theron Shan will make a fine ally.
Was there anything else you wanted to discuss?
The Wookie smuggler and his droid--how do they fit in?
I have no idea. Ah, I mean, It’s not entirely clear to me, but Jakarro will prove useful to us. That much I sense unmistakably. Probably.

Let me aid you.
No. No, you get some rest. We’ll talk again tomorrow, I should have something for you then.

May the Force ever serve you.

I know I’ve mentioned before a strange disturbance within the Force--a sort of writhing mass tied to Darth Arkous.
Oh, I know who it is! It’s--
I thought I’d use my connection to Arkous to seek out others tied to the disturbance--Revanites working against us from within. I found a few.
If we could convince them they were wrong to betray the Empire, they’d be compelled to help us.

Yes, because both Sith and Jedi are known for having their strong, utterly unshakable convictions.
Theron Shan helped me decipher coded messages between the Revanites. Due to your interference on Manaan, they’ve accelerated their schedule.

A hasty schedule is a sloppy schedule. They’ll make a mistake we can exploit.
Darth Arkous is intelligent, manipulative and immensely powerful. We mustn’t get overconfident.
I’m pretty sure that intelligent, manipulative and immensely powerful are all synonyms of the word ‘Sith.’
Heh. We only wish.

And there’s more. The implants they’re using--they’re made from pieces of the Star Forge.
The Star Forge…. There was a machine on Nar Shaddaa that was built from it.
I’d heard rumors. It required virtually nothing to create most anything. That was the Star Forge’s power as well.
The Star Forge was a Force-imbued, self-sustaining shipyard. Rakatan. It was destroyed centuries ago, but the Revanites have recovered some of the wreckage.
I turned it over to the Empire.
This is… my fault.

Yes it will.
We will see Darth Arkous answer for his crimes. Most importantly, we’ll stop the Order of Revan before the balance tips in their favor.
Theron and Jakarro are waiting for us planetside. The sooner we depart for Rakata Prime, the better.
Road trip?

Nostalgia Trip.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
If there's one thing the Shadow of Revan expansion has in spades, it's absolutely gorgeous scenery.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
It's a good job these guys who are all about using Raktan technology are not using the Raktan technology that forces ships to crash land on this planet. Especially as they are, I assume, being led by the guy who turned it off last.

I forget all about the Star Forge Tech on Nar Shadar that was mentioned, I'll have to re read the updates, but it's nice they reference past events like that. Was it a quest exclusive to Marauders or can anyone do it and get extra dialogue here? I know the Empire players already have exclusive extra stuff awhile back with them being able to do the Revan stuff on Dromund Kas.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paused posted:

It's a good job these guys who are all about using Raktan technology are not using the Raktan technology that forces ships to crash land on this planet. Especially as they are, I assume, being led by the guy who turned it off last.

I forget all about the Star Forge Tech on Nar Shadar that was mentioned, I'll have to re read the updates, but it's nice they reference past events like that. Was it a quest exclusive to Marauders or can anyone do it and get extra dialogue here? I know the Empire players already have exclusive extra stuff awhile back with them being able to do the Revan stuff on Dromund Kas.

It's a general Empire questline that any Imperial PC can do.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"It was destroyed centuries ago. We kind of are upset that we set these timelines so far apart, to be honest."

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Well, the thing floated around in space for 20 millennia and didn't break. Obviously its blown up bits would still be around and in good working order a mere few hundred years later. Damage from falling into a star notwithstanding.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Escpecially when it was a plotpoint in kotor that technology like the star maps can repair themselves over time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just see Belsavis. Rakata stuff is the Old Republic era's go-to "Long gone precursor empire far more advanced than anything we have and we'll not equal them for thousands of years" gig.

Oddly, there's a couple of codex entries in TOR that explain why that's so. Rakata tech is very heavy on biotechnology and nanotechnology, which standard Galactic civilization doesn't make much use of. It's how Rakata technology can change and use the Force: the Force works through the organic components of the Rakata tech.

Wookieepedia, though, says that no the Rakata actually stole their technology from an even more ancient and powerful precursor race.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's just ancient precursors all the way down.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nobody's allowed to invent anything.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
They invent new and incredibly stupid superweapons all the time, maybe they just need to change their priorities a bit :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 11: Nostalgia Trip

Click for Video

Jakarro! Display at least a modicum of respect!
Hey. We’re set to move on the Temple of the Ancients when you are.
And by that do you mean: “Lord Mortiferous, please murder everything for us while we sit on the ship?”
Pretty much, yeah.

That’s the traitors’ base of operations?

You’ll what?! Jakarro, I agreed to no such thing! Wait, was this the talk with Agetn Shan you powered me down for?
Shut up, droid, or you will be turned off for good!

So, is he your pacemaker or something? Is that why you can’t get rid of him?
What? No. Jakarro’s much too big to be a pacemaker.

I hope you brought your Tachyon Lances, master.
Why’s that, Jaesa?

Because we’re about to kick the crap out of a Fallen Empire.

Ok, that route is not working out like we planned.
You’ll have to head along the beach and straight through Rakata central. Sorry.

I can see the temple right there. I could just go around.
But…but setpiece battle!
Fine.

Looks as though their arena needs a challenger. If you’re going to get past them, you’ll have to give them a show they’ll never forget.
Why yes I do remember the Sand People from KOTOR. Why do you ask so suddenly?
Oh no. :geno:

A Rancor.
You’re huge! You have huge guts!

Rip and tear!
Haven’t we done that bit already?
Don’t remember, don’t care.

Oooh no! The Rakatans have mastered the advanced technology of sticks that are also simultaneously on fire!
Well, you are really inexplicably flammable, Master.
Shut up.

Argh! What have they been feeding this thing?!

Ow, my balls!

OW, MY BALLS!

Darth Arkous knows you’re here. I’d say he sensed your presence, but I imagine it’s all the commotion.
Yeah, about that, thanks. :argh:
He and Colonel Darok have shored up defenses outside the temple with their new conscripts. You know what to do.
Yeah.

I do.

Theron’s been monitoring Revanite chatter. Somewhere near you they’ve discovered a hidden store of Rakata weapons. See that they don’t get the chance to use them.
Yeah, yeah. Break some boxes.

Hey, y’know what I bet isn’t the path forward?
Really, master?

All that time spent hunting for boxes finally pays off!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 13, 2016

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Wait, what was that last bit?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MightyPretenders posted:

Wait, what was that last bit?

I climbed up a random pile of junk and bypassed a fight.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I climbed up a random pile of junk and bypassed a fight.

Did it take longer than fighting would have?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Last Transmission posted:

Did it take longer than fighting would have?

Nah, Mort's still got level 55 gear so MMO platforming saved me about 20 seconds.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sweet.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Trooper Update 40 – Soldiering On

Original Trooper updates listed here
Trooper updates from the first endgame thread start here

...just hope Garza’s not expecting us to wash up first.

Excuse me?
Nope.
Captain Todessa, right? Leader of Havoc Squad?

Todessa?
That’s you, boss.
Oh! Right. Yeah, that’s me. At ease, soldier.
And who’re you supposed to be? Apart from someone who’s badly underdressed for a day in the Senate Tower’s secure zone.
You could call me a fan. The last Havoc commander, Tavus, I saw on the news he died from complications from an old war wound? Must’ve been a real blow to the team.
It was about 1,100 pounds of ‘blow’ to the temple, yeah.
We’re all real broken up about it, so if the press wants another quote I can direct you to the divisional spokesperson.

I’m not here for the party line. Havoc lost another man in transit just recently too, right? An Iridonian named ‘Fuse’, was it? In fact, the whole of Spec-Force has a whole pile of recent MIAs and KIAs.
That’s classified.

Well, nice as this chat’s been I’m running late for a briefing, so if you could just see yourself to the nearest Senatorial security and save us the trouble...
What, really? You still haven’t figured it out? Oh, for - look!

It’s me, you idiot! The real Captain Todessa. You remember? The person you replaced?
How can I remember a person I’ve never met? I’m just a soldier doing a job for the Republic. How’d you fit that mohawk into a helmet that small? That’s a neat trick. Like spinning.
I want to be on the record that I was against the “mysterious drifter” reveal.
Wait, the last Havoc commander? I thought you and your squad went AWOL.
Who cares? If she’s back, that means you and I can get back to the Blood Dragons. I’m sick of this ‘special ops’ crap, give me a trench or a jungle and an imp quota any day.
You’re not getting off that easy. And as the actual Republic officer here, I order you to take those tin cans off so I can get a look at who Garza assigned to take over my life.

Ngh… there. Satisfied?
I will be once you disable your voice modulator.
Fine. Satisfied?
Another Cathar? I didn’t know there was another of us in Spec-Force.
You’d be amazed how much room freed up after-
Okay, cut the chatter.
Cut the--ugh.

So I’m assuming you‘re not here to turn yourselves in, which means you must have a drat good explanation to keep Garza from dropping you down a deep, dark hole.
Matter of fact I do, but the General should be around for it. Let’s see her together.

Oh, this ought to be good.

...I’m going to be forthright with you ladies - I am not happy with this situation.
Surprise, General! No one is! But I’m willing to be the bigger woman here and put our history behind us if you reinstate my squad’s rank and IDs and get this imposter out of my sight.
At least I’m not a traitor.
You are an unlisted deserter. The uniformed officer on my right is recognized as Captain Todessa and leader of Havoc Squad. Explain to me why exactly I shouldn’t have you arrested and court-martialed?
Well, I got that covered at least. After you put me in contact with Supreme Commander Rans for those “special missions” on Nar Shaddaa, I asked him for a transfer to black ops. The great thing about black ops, you don’t have to leave a note.
You thought I wouldn’t figure out what happened to Tavus? The old Havoc squad deserting after Ando Prime because you convinced them the Senate left them to die, when the Senate never even knew they were there because you didn’t have authorization.
I had a bad feeling that cleaning up your mess would make Havoc squad a loose end, so we got out and laid low until the Tavus situation blew over. I’m only surprised your wind-up toy soldier didn’t end up having to take the fall for me.
Unlike you, I can actually be relied on to follow orders.
Blindly.
At least I’m wired for loyalty.
Without acknowledging any of your wild speculation, if that were true, why come back now?

Because you’re about to introduce her as me to Supreme Commander Rans, and I’ve been working for him off the books for months now. And that’s going to raise a whole lot of questions. I’m doing you a favor by coming back.
Fine by me. Being a special forces errand girl was getting dull anyway. So much backtracking…
Reinstate my squad and we can all go on acting like the whole “Tavus defects with half of Spec-Force because someone screwed up” thing never happened. Oh, and I’ll need the keys for my ship back while we’re at it.
Whole thing stank of cheap deodorant anyway. Can I assume you’ll want the M1 backup back as well? Wouldn’t want us cheapening the original.
I thought of that too. Yours has the same recall code as mine, he should be here any minute.

General, I came as fast as the legs of justice could carry - er… I apologize, my ID-database must be malfunctioning. I’m detecting two Captain Todessas at this time?
Yes, we’re well aware 4X. Please stand in the corner and try not to overload. As for our… situation. I can agree that things got out of hand, and would absolutely prefer to keep the Supreme Commander or God forbid the Senate from getting further involved.
What, exactly, is going on?
At this point I have no idea.
I started tuning it out a few minutes ago.
If reinstating your previous position is what it takes to put this all behind us... Captain Zhenzi, relocate your squad to the Spec-Force barracks, I’ll have new instructions for you later.
Hell with that, General. Put me back in a line regiment. I’ve been away from the Blood Dragons for too long. They’ve probably gone all soft and merciful without me around to keep them in line.
Just--go, we’ll talk about this later.
No we won’t.
Stop sniping at the brass, Mako. Let’s go.

General. So long, Captain - I’ll be waiting in case you feel like defecting or disappearing again.
Out, soldier!
Well, if you are going to be attending this meeting, you can at least change out of those smelly rags. They’re expecting my best officer.
Which is me. Don’t worry, I put together something a little more regulation while I was away. Give me five minutes.

Recommended for getting back up to speed on what the heck's going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFy3NUFLAg

Good day.
We've both heard a great deal about you, Captain.
Given our present circumstances, Fleet Admiral Numinn and Supreme Commander Rans have come here to plan a full-scale joint operation to deal with the Gauntlet superweapon.
Right, the Empire's latest capital ship killer. What's our strategy for dealing with the Gauntlet, General?
Plans are still being developed. Which tests better than "we don't have one yet".

If the Gauntlet prototype is completed and the Empire succeeds in producing more of them, we're doomed. The entire Republic would be conquered in a matter of weeks.
I understand that the Gauntlet is a dangerous weapon, but is it really that game ending, sir?
Any fleets sent within range of a Gauntlet superweapon are forefit. Reinforcing battles, retaking lost positions, assaulting new ones – all become impossible.
Destroying the Gauntlet will require a coordinated naval and infantry strike of unprecedented scale. Our forces must begin preparing now.
In the midst of the assault we're planning, a single commando team will board the Gauntlet and sabotage it from within. We've chosen Havoc squad to carry out this task.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Captain.
Your team will need to be expanded. You'll need a technical specialist and an explosives expert.
The general and I have scoured the entire Republic personnel database to locate the two most highly qualified specialists available.
Both men are engaged in active operations – the first on Balmorra. Extract him and return here as quickly as possible. Understood?
If I'm adding these people to my squad, I'd like to know more about them.
I have full reports on each new recruit. You'll receive the relevant details when you arrive in each mission zone.

Home, sweet home.
M-master Todessa! That is, the actual master Todessa. What a... pleasant surprise!
Can it, tin can. Okay people, it's a long ride to Balmorra, fan out and check the ship for anything those knucklehead imposters might've messed up or left behind.
Master, I can assure you, I followed my previous master's instructions to the letter regarding the cleaning and restoration of your-
What about the droid, Captain? Could be bugged, or have some other instructions programmed in.
Good point, maybe we should take it apart - just to be safe.
...On reconsideration, perhaps I could lend a hand conducting another sweep?
Smart move.

ONE SHORT SPACE JOURNEY LATER

##Begin Log##

Captain’s Log, entry #001
Stardate: Two days out of Coruscant

We're just coming up on Balmorra now. Not much else to report today. The squad's gear is a mess between the stuff we brought back from our "time off" and whatever was left behind on the ship. My chair settings are still all messed up too. Wonder if I should tell M1-4X Garza built a copy of him, or if that'd give him an existential breakdown. Uh...

##End Log##

Okay, forget this, journaling is boring as hell. I don't know what sideburns gets out of it.

: Captain! Transmission coming through, it's General Garza.

Imperial forces conquered the planet during the first war, but a Balmorran resistance movement has fought the occupation to this day.
Republic support for the resistance has been... inconsistent, over the years. But now, our forces are pushing to drive the Empire off Balmorra for good.
What brought on this sudden commitment?
We are at the brink of all-out war. Balmorra's industry is a strategic resource and cannot be allowed to remain in Imperial hands.

Vik is a Weequay, and a natural at demolitions work. But he also has a history of insubordination and collateral damage. Keep him on a short leash.
What good is this guy if he can't follow orders?
Oh? So now soldiers not following orders is a problem for you?
When they're my orders, yeah.
You're an experienced officer. You can keep him in line.

He is, however, the most skilled demolitionist on record – and Havoc Squad needs the best.
Not like I've got any options, I guess.
He is the only available explosives expert anywhere close to Havoc standards.
Vic is currently fighting as a mercenary for the Balmorran resistance. His supervisor is a resistance leader named Ardon.

Dorne, you're with me. Let's see if we can shake the rust off.
Sir, while I can promise I have not become rusty during our... down-time, the General implied we need only extract Vik from his current post, not engage the Imperials.
I've heard that one before. Five credits says we'll be chasing that Weequay bomber up and down the occupation zone.

Nice staging area they picked here. The resistance must be doing better than I thought if they've managed to liberate this swamp.
Actually, sir, the outpost known as 'Bugtown' is the Republic's only major foothold on the planet, thanks to the Imperials' belief that the terrain and highly mutated fauna are too hostile to allow major landings.

Anyone ever mention you can be a real buzz-kill, sergeant?
Relentlessly throughout my career, sir.
Just keep your eyes open for any resistance officers trying to butter us up into some pointless side-mission. These rebels can be real rear end-kissers.

"Butter us up", sir?
Shh. I'm not interested in your opinions. I'm interested in Tanno Vik.
Don't worry, I know how much a Balmorran's opinion is worth to you people.
General Garza sent me a message explaining everything. I've got Vik's current assignment details right here.
Glad to hear that the Republic's finest aren't here to help, but to take away one of my best men instead. We're honored, really.

Or what? It's not like you and your publicity-stunt squad are doing anything useful for me anyway.
Vik is taking one of our teams on a patrol run. Their next stop is our signal interception post – you can catch up with him there.
Now, if that's all – there are real soldiers who need my time.
If you've got a problem with me or my squad, do something about it.

Can you believe that guy? After the Republic broke the treaty of Coruscant and got the whole first wave killed trying to save their planet, he's still giving us attitude. They should be grateful the Republic hasn't cut its losses.
With all due respect, sir, the resentment might be rooted in the years between the start of the occupation and now when the Republic made no major effort to assist the resistance.
As General Garza mentioned, the only thing that changed recently was the calculation that the Republic needs to deny Balmorran arms to the Empire before the war begins again in earnest. The Balmorrans themselves are a secondary objective.

Huh, that's... okay, that's a pretty good point.
Thank you, sir.
Doesn't mean I won't knock Ardon's teeth out if he calls us a publicity-stunt squad again, though.

We're much closer to the Imperial occupation headquarters at Sobrik than I expected. Maybe this is the time the Republic succeeds in taking back Balmorra.
Don't get too excited. If we don't focus on taking out the Gauntlet then whatever gets done on the ground here will go to waste.

Just keep your eyes peeled for a Weequay mercenary. Or any sort of trouble, since that'll probably lead us straight to him.

Excuse me. I'm looking for Tanno Vik.
Ah! Oh, you're with the Republic. I thought I was dead meat.
Looking for Vik, huh? That Weequay scumbag is long gone.
Dorne, you owe me five credits. Is Vik in trouble again?
Trouble? He's getting us all killed!
Vik was here earlier, but he slipped away when we weren't looking – along with our entire security team. All he left was this holorecording.

This is all on Republic orders, of course, part of the big push – take a look at regulation 235-R, you'll see that everything checks out. Have a good one.
Dorne? Are you familiar with Regulation 235-R?
Yes, sir, but it makes no sense. Regulation 235-R dictates the size and positioning of improvised field latrines.
No, I get it – Vik was making poo poo up.
Vik is the least of our problems. With security gone, Imperial commandos have breached the perimeter and started sabotaging our equipment.

Is there any way to get the relays back online?
Judging by the way the relays cut out, I'd guess the Imps just yanked the power couplings.
Easy fix, but the problem will be fighting through those commando teams. Do you think you can manage it?
There's nobody I can't handle.
That's all the qualifications I need to hear.

Sir, pardon my intrusion, but while I can see the strategic value of assisting the resistance, didn't you say we should avoid becoming entangled in "pointless side-missions"?
I did, and we are. Havoc Squad needs to rebuild its reputation, and if Vik's joining the team then that makes this mess our responsibility, stupid as it is. But I've got an even better reason for helping those tech-dweebs out.

How long's it been since we got to ambush an Imperial commando team, Dorne?
Too long, sir.
drat right.

Feels good to be back!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Hm... I much prefer the first Havoc Squad cartel armor they made, fits a lot more with the pre-KOTFE design of Havoc.

Also: Post-4.0 Dorne's fightstyle is hilarious, she starts shotgunning people. Never imagined the healer would do that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Todessa's ahead of the fashion curve. Everyone'll be wearing their armor like that someday!

As for shotgunning, Quentine is healer-specced (as much as he's anything-specced, as I am actually quite terrible at this game) and the scatter gun plays a big role for such smugglers, so I guess that's where Dorne is getting it.

Also, putting this update together I saw that PTN started his trooper run a year to the day after Brainamp's original run ended... and that was a year ago from next Tuesday. A long time in the making!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 12: The Galaxy’s Most Gullible Spy

Infinite Army conscripts. They’re further along with production than we suspected.
Wait a minute.
What?
Hm.

What is it you see?
Don’t know. I’ll have to go in for a closer look.

Huh.

That army wasn’t very infinite.
It was five guys, Jaesa. Five. That’s a whole regiment!

This one even has a Mohawk.
That’s how you know he’s tough.

Probably shouldn’t have made his armor out of explosions though.
They’re just trying to exploit your inexplicable flammability, master.

Well, this time it backfired on them.
That was a bad pun, master.

Jaesa, look out! Five more guys!
Why do I suddenly have a craving for a burger?

I’ll take the big one!
I’ll take the ugly one.
Which one’s the ugly one?
The next one I hit.

Did you really have to stab him in the rear end, master?
Not my fault all the bosses are twice the height of a normal person.

Six guys!
They could take a whole planet with that sort of assault force!

Aaand that’s that.

Look for a control console and open a channel there--I’ll be able to slice into their systems remotely.
Yeah, yeah.

Click for Video

Ok… according to the structural plans, the only way to get at the head Revanites is through that conscription center.
The cyborgs are dormant for now, but they’re set to go on high alert once they detect you.
A console overload will fry them from the inside…. Nope. Can’t work the power safties from here. You’ll have to do the honors.

An overload would destroy the data as well. The Empire might want its own Infinite Army someday. You would have to fight those cyborgs, but….

PTN’s note: Giving the Empire access to a potential army of crazy soulless cyber-warriors is the lightside choice. And it’s not a little one, it’s a full ‘spare the younglings’ 150 points.
:iiam:

Because you left it on when you went to go perform routine maintenance?
We couldn’t make it work. The room will have to be traversed the hard way.

Smooth.
Are you sure? What did you try?
Everything.

Was. The sensor appears to be working again….
:ughh:
[i]Well, whatever.

Ready to kill seven guys Jaesa?
A galaxy-ending threat! We must extinguish it!

We’re seeing movement on the temple roof--might be Darok and Arkous trying to make an escape.
Looks like they’ve got a shuttle--we can shoot it down if we have to, but I’d rather take them in for questioning if you can. Hurry!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm amazed to see you take on such a mighty horde single handedly!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I've been reading this LP for what feels like a lifetime. I can't believe how consistently this game thinks "five or so guys" is a threat. What? What?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Considering that in every class/planet story you are literally the only competent person in the whole galaxy it only stays consistent that a few guys could be a huge threat :shrug:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Been following this since the beginning but I really wish Bioware would somehow read this and modify the game so that you go to do a class mission and end up fighting multiple enemies in their tens if not hundreds, you would almost certainly die but hey that is what you want right? I get that the whole five guys thing seems ridiculous and it is but its a staple for just about every MMO out there. I don't know maybe I am just tired of seeing the same oh no its five enemies lines but its getting repetitive, probably a lot like this game.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Remember, these were originally group content, and with the average PUG, five guys is a formidable threat...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

koolkevz666 posted:

Been following this since the beginning but I really wish Bioware would somehow read this and modify the game so that you go to do a class mission and end up fighting multiple enemies in their tens if not hundreds, you would almost certainly die but hey that is what you want right? I get that the whole five guys thing seems ridiculous and it is but its a staple for just about every MMO out there. I don't know maybe I am just tired of seeing the same oh no its five enemies lines but its getting repetitive, probably a lot like this game.

Repetition is the finest form of comedy.

In all seriousness I'm making a big show of it because things are actually going to get better.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's been a thread staple since it's one of those MMO limitations that widens the gap between the story and the gameplay - which is normally less of a problem for MMOs with just a threadbare story to begin with, but since SW:TOR hangs so much on narrative it's always a bit jarring to be threatened with an "elite squad" who turn out to be three guys.

It's a pity more MMOs don't let you take on big armies of enemies, especially in Star Wars with a history of larger-than-life heroes battling through waves of mooks. It might also be nice if there was more obvious and active fighting between NPCs in different warzones so it felt more like you were participating in a battle rather than winning whole wars single-handed and three enemies at a time. I like Balmorra (which I happen to be retracing again!) especially for the effort they put into making certain zones feel active, like the bombardment and siege of Sobrik and the expansive battlefield in front of the Arms factory with squads for both sides hunkered down everywhere.

PTN's right that they seem to put a little more effort into encounter design and showing off the scale of different battles going forward, so that'll be good to show.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

They could have a bunch of enemies that are weaker, really sell the "You're basically a superhero" thing.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
That was the original intent of the typical enemy being 3-5 guys instead of the more traditional single one per fight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Promethium posted:

That was the original intent of the typical enemy being 3-5 guys instead of the more traditional single one per fight.

It was pretty much the pattern straight out of early City of Heroes ( 3 mooks = 2 lieutenants / silvers = 1 boss / gold ) which is why it stands out to me since City of Heroes learned reasonably early that the 3/2/1 pyramid isn't all that great.

I think more games need to steal CoH's difficulty sliders (you could chose to fight normal encounters, set it to fight big groups with more minions, pairs or small groups of harder enemies, and even set how the enemies scaled in relation to you for added challenge). CoH could get away with that because it was heavily instanced (TOR is too, for missions at least), but CoH had mob group sizes scale the more people were in a group and TOR was never designed with that in mind.

Early TOR used a bunch of common MMO design themes without much regard as to why they were doing so at the time. All things considered they didn't do as badly as they might've, but they still fell short of the mark in some places.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
A bit of a shame really since both Kotor and Kotor2 had some comparatively large fight at the later stages where you would just mow them down with force lightning or force wave. Really hammered home the fact that that both Revan and the Exile were supposed to be absolute geniuses who can't even be touched by normal enemies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stop reminding me how much I missed CoH :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Stop reminding me how much I missed CoH :cry:

The pain will never quite go away, I'm afraid.

• Locked thread