Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The funniest show on TV is back Sunday, April 24th on HBO!

TRAILER

Mandatory Wikipedia Blurb posted:

Veep is an American television series, starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus, set in the office of Selina Meyer, a fictional Vice President, and subsequent President, of the United States. The series was created by Armando Iannucci, who created the British political comedy series The Thick of It, and also wrote and directed that series' film spin-off In the Loop (2009), all of which feature the same writing staff.

Veep premiered on HBO on April 22, 2012, with an eight-episode season. This was followed by a second season of ten episodes debuting on April 14, 2013. On May 1, 2013, HBO renewed Veep for a ten-episode third season that began on April 6, 2014. On April 21, 2014, HBO ordered a fourth season of Veep, which premiered on April 12, 2015. On April 13, 2015, HBO ordered a fifth season of Veep. The fifth season will premiere on April 24, 2016.

Veep has received critical acclaim and won several major awards. It has been nominated four years in a row for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series, winning the award for its fourth season. Its second season won the Writers Guild of America Award for Television: Comedy Series, and its third season won the TCA Award for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy. Louis-Dreyfus has won four consecutive Primetime Emmy Awards, one Screen Actors Guild Award, two Critics' Choice Television Awards and one Television Critics Association Award for her performance.

The fourth season ended with Selina Meyer as standing president caught in an unprecedented tied election for the presidency with Republican candidate O'Brien. The fifth season will mostly focus on the subsequent voting and may see Meyer's current Vice President and super-popular man-of-the-people Tom James (Hugh Laurie) becoming president instead. Former showrunner/producer Armando Iannucci (The Day Today/I'm Alan Partridge/The Thick of It/In The Loop) stepped down at the end of the fourth season and was replaced by David Mandel (Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash Fistfight
Mar 29, 2007

First now I understood the true complexity of women.
Didn't know this was coming back. That's great news

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Crash Fistfight posted:

Didn't know this was coming back. That's great news

If you thought you'd seen the last of Jonah Ryan then I guess you never knew what sort of guy were dealing with, he's worked at the White House son.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Three days to go! Also, Veep just got confirmed for a 6th season coming in 2017!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im glad of it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Veep is as commanding as ever in its excellent fifth season

quote:

The changing of the guard leaves Veep in a precarious position, perhaps for the first time in its history, because the “showrunner leaves and show goes to poo poo” narrative has become so deeply ingrained in the public’s understanding of how television storytelling works. And given Iannucci’s singular, outsider voice and the crystalline vision for his funhouse-mirror reflection of American politics, he seems like an especially tough act to follow. But the fifth season of Veep doesn’t just win the expectations game, it just wins. The rapid-fire, acid-tongued dialogue hasn’t changed, nor has the almost unfathomable ratio of zingers per minute. With a cast this talented—Julia Louis-Dreyfus remains at the height of her talents—the only thing that could go wrong is the writing, but it’s as assured and hilarious as ever.
http://www.avclub.com/review/veep-commanding-ever-its-excellent-fifth-season-235646

I'm loving ready for this :getin:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

More excited for this than Game of Thrones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIbzUnhTp4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vanderdeath posted:

More excited for this than Game of Thrones.

I mean, you'd almost have to be at this point.

Stoked for more of Jonad the Barbarian.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I went through the previous seasons in preparation and the second season episode "Running" is a complete masterpiece. Selina walks through a glass door and subsequently gets high on an unfortunate mix of anti-depressants and painkillers and that whole part of the show is the funniest thing ever. JLD nails it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I forgot Laurie's still in this season, such a great addition to what was already my favorite cast in comedy.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Goddamn it, HBO GO. Update so that I can watch this already :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, Richard has 2 Ph.D.s. Also Selena lost Delaware and Nevada.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Hahaha, Richard has 2 Ph.D.s. Also Selena lost Delaware and Nevada.

Seriously, Richard is my favorite character and I love how they keep getting him into the mix. Everyones reaction to his degrees was hillarious.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

How the gently caress are more people not watching this?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sent from my iPad posted:

How the gently caress are more people not watching this?

I say this every year, goons have no taste

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's weird that some great shows like Silicon Valley and Americans get like a dozen comments each. Doesn't really matter as long as they don't get cancelled.

This episode looks strong, too bad I'all only get to watch it tonight.

Stare-Out posted:

I went through the previous seasons in preparation and the second season episode "Running" is a complete masterpiece. Selina walks through a glass door and subsequently gets high on an unfortunate mix of anti-depressants and painkillers and that whole part of the show is the funniest thing ever. JLD nails it.
Yeah what's up you loving Lorax!?!

That's one of my favorite episodes of the show. It sets up a great situation and has a ton of amazing lines that I don't think has been matched so far. Like the "white detective investigating a murder of a black man" one which iirc is also from this episode.

precision posted:

I mean, you'd almost have to be at this point.

Stoked for more of Jonad the Barbarian.
That's pretty easy as I never got into GoT in the first place, but in any case Verp is definitely one of the highlights of the season.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 25, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Great start to the show, bunch of laughs in there. Selina eyeing up the "lookalike" in disbelief was a good gag. Also I agree that Richard is a gem of a character.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I liked Jonah's idea that Harry Potter rose up and killed all the muggles.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Great start into the new season.

Also Catherine's film is going to bite them in the rear end real bad.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Popelmon posted:

Also Catherine's film is going to bite them in the rear end real bad.

Came here to post this, looking forward to both her popping up in the background while people say heinous poo poo and especially the payoff to five seasons of Selina being the world's most horrible mom.

I was worried about Iannucci leaving but the writing hasn't lost a step. Richard lording it over Jonad is gonna be the best and I hope Craig Cackowski joins their posse for the whole season.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Illinois Smith posted:

five seasons of Selina being the world's most horrible mom.

"Does your hair have to be that?"

vvv I'm bad with exact quotes.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 25, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Why is that your hair?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

edit: ^^ I wasn't correcting you, I just posted at the same time

But anyway yeah one of my favorite jokes is Selina just constantly making GBS threads on her normal/loser daughter. I can almost foresee her documentary story ending with her showing it to Selina/staff and it's super good and they're just like What the hell, you can't use that, and they destroy it right in front of her.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 25, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I mean, two of the first three shots (the one after the TV speech and the one of Ben & Bill in the hallway pictured above) are of stuff even Catherine probably knows Selina will never, ever let her use. I doubt she'll show it to anyone before it hits the internet.

Then again, Selina thinks Caherine will forget about it in a few weeks, so it's entirely possible Selina forgets about the whole thing after they kick her out of the room. Whatever it is, the payoff is gonna be glorious.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 25, 2016

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

"Less welcome than a swastika shaped poo poo in a synagogue" is the best goddamn line I've heard in years.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Illinois Smith posted:

Then again, Selina thinks Caherine will forget about it in a few weeks, so it's entirely possible Selina forgets about the whole thing after they kick her out of the room. Whatever it is, the payoff is gonna be glorious.

It's going to be a scene so painful I cringe and I am so, so looking forward to it.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

God this show is on point! Mike's physical comedy is a national treasure.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I was a bit worried how this would go without Armando Iannucci as he is a genius but holy poo poo was that fantastic, I cant wait to see how insane Jonad is going to be driven by his lot.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Air is lava! posted:

"Does your hair have to be that?"

vvv I'm bad with exact quotes.

Somehow this is looking like my favorite subplot this year. "My thesis advisor and I couldn't agree on a thesis because I had that thing last semester where I was tired all the time -" "Catherine, enough with the whining, you'll shatter the bulletproof glass in here".

Best line was "Fortune cookie says you gently caress up big time, round eye!"

Also even though Ianucci has left the show "Every difficult conversation begins with a...sentence" was very much in the spirit (that and the brilliant swearing as usual)

One of the later episodes is titled C**tgate (just put it in spoiler tags because it might be funnier if you don't see it coming) which I can't wait for.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 26, 2016

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
This show is so quotable:
"Is there anything not hosed up that you can tell me right now?"
"When life gives you Yemen, you make Yemen-ade."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Richard's "Jonah, with me, please." line was amazing. I love how much his character has grown without changing in the slightest.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

grading essays nude posted:

"Fortune cookie says you gently caress up big time, round eye!"

Kevin Dunn is a national treasure and needs to do more comedy.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nightcap?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The daughter keeps shooting horrible things, I bet the chinese hackers end up with it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There is a 100% chance that Catherine's footage is going to be a big factor in the season's final episodes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yo this show loving owns

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

" :) She's from El New Hampshire. :laffo:! "

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Her sister said CVS and not CBS right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Catherine, out.

• Locked thread