Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

xbilkis posted:

The joke is that she is a white woman from Ohio named Laura who married a Mexican man and started playing that up for political purposes

And became a senator in New Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah she's not going to go Trump on her, it was just Selina being salty as hell and calling her out for the over the top pandering to the hispanics in her state.

I can't even imagine the Fox News poo poo storm resulting from a new president starting their inauguration speech with Gracias.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 27, 2016

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Wait, the show isn't over?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gohmak posted:

Wait, the show isn't over?

Stare-Out posted:

Three days to go! Also, Veep just got confirmed for a 6th season coming in 2017!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Totally not expecting that outcome, but I'm excited to see where the show goes from here.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
That was the best season of the whole show I think, I would be really happy if it ended there because that would make a great last episode but always up for more Veep, time for a full rewatch from the beginning!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

An Urgent Note From The Filmmakers
Shortly after the completion of the final cut of "Kissing Your Sister," the hard drive containing the finished film as well as all the raw footage disappeared sometime between the night of Jan. 16 -- when it was placed in the back seat of Catherine's maroon Prius parked outside the Fuzz Box nightclub on 70s karaoke night -- and around noon on Jan. 17 -- when it was noticed missing from the car then parked in front of Old Bailey's, a popular Georgetown brunch spot. The hard drive, a 4 terabyte LaCie in an orange case, is irreplaceable and contains all of our work for the past six months. PLEASE if you have it or know who does, contact us at realcatherinemeyer@gmail.com immediately!! A generous reward is offered, no questions asked. Help!!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm much more curious to know if the leaked video of Gary telling everyone to go gently caress themselves will go public.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I'm even more excited for next season now. I thought I wanted her to be back in the veep office, but after 5 seasons I think following the life of an unpopular and ineffectual ex-president is a good and fresh direction in which to take things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm much more curious to know if the leaked video of Gary telling everyone to go gently caress themselves will go public.

David Mandel said Mike recording it was just a funny gag, unless they think of something clever for it later.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Did the Vice President call?

No.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think I heard the character never usually curses or gets too vulgar because the actor Tony Hale isn't comfortable with swearing. He really let loose this ep though

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One of the things Mandel mentioned is how they deliberately didn't have Gary deliver a torrent of super complex detailed profanity. It was FAR funnier for him to just yell gently caress you gently caress you gently caress yooou to everyone.

I'm gonna nerd the hell out for a moment and recommend President's Club. Its an entire book dedicated to the friendships and relationships between each President. Kickass antidote after kickass antidote. And one of the things that pops up again and again is how much power an ex-president actually has even though they feel impotent.

What's hilarious is that Meyer's worst nightmare is not going down as a terrible president. Instead, right now she's a bar trivia question in twenty years time.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That interview is great

quote:

AVC: Another thing we learn in the finale is that the hard drive with Catherine’s documentary on it is missing.

DM: It’s a very strange thing, we’ve got a lot of tech people on it. The hard drive just seems to be missing, it’s very weird.

AVC: We saw the documentary as an audience, but, in the world of Veep, has anyone else seen this thing?

DM: In our mind, the only one who has seen it is probably Selina, maybe with Gary [Tony Hale]. However they were shown it—and then I don’t know what happened. Catherine and Marjorie [Clea Duvall] have a website for their film. They were getting ready. They were planning a lot of festivals. And now a lot of their plans are messed up. Again, don’t know what happened.

AVC: Is it just like Catherine not to have a backup copy anywhere?

DM: There are elements of Catherine that are sort of a little hapless. I think it’s a good lesson that you should always have two backups. I am big believer in the double backup. I’m a big believer in the backup hard drive and then the offsite backup. It’s a lesson to all of you reading this to always back up your files.

Also yeah, Mike leaking the recording of Gary's meltdown would seem out of character for him. It's just something he wants to privately giggle at later.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I had the impression Dan was recording as well, just the way both men had their phones positioned at a low angle and then cuts to them quickly as the commotion stars to conclude.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Illinois Smith posted:

That interview is great

Also yeah, Mike leaking the recording of Gary's meltdown would seem out of character for him. It's just something he wants to privately giggle at later.

Although him not knowing how to use a phone and accidentally making it public in the cloud would be.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's a way more depressing episode than I expected from Veep, but I enjoyed it even though it wasn't very funny at all. I have no idea how they'll make the next season work after this, but I'm glad she's not back to being veep again, so let's see.

GigaPeon posted:

Although him not knowing how to use a phone and accidentally making it public in the cloud would be.

He's not Richard so that's probably not going to happen.

E: I hope he and Selina did gently caress and are going to have adorable babies E2: and not 6 year old ones

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 29, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nice little missed moment in the ep where Richard realizes his mom wasn't his mom and Selina just snaps him out of by being her drunken self-centered self.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

One of the things Mandel mentioned is how they deliberately didn't have Gary deliver a torrent of super complex detailed profanity. It was FAR funnier for him to just yell gently caress you gently caress you gently caress yooou to everyone.

I'm gonna nerd the hell out for a moment and recommend President's Club. Its an entire book dedicated to the friendships and relationships between each President. Kickass antidote after kickass antidote. And one of the things that pops up again and again is how much power an ex-president actually has even though they feel impotent.

What's hilarious is that Meyer's worst nightmare is not going down as a terrible president. Instead, right now she's a bar trivia question in twenty years time.

You mean anecdote.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Velisarius posted:

You mean anecdote.

I do. :(

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I loved Selina getting her own Richard, it was uncanny.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Eeerrghhh... oh... oh God... I hope I didn't gently caress Richard...

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

E: I hope he and Selina did gently caress and are going to have adorable babies E2: and not 6 year old ones

I really liked the baby thing in light of GoT where Gilly was hauling around a "baby" that was clearly a loving toddler.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ultramiraculous posted:

I really liked the baby thing in light of GoT where Gilly was hauling around a "baby" that was clearly a loving toddler.

That "baby" was born like 4 show years ago so should be a toddler. Gilly's baby exists in a weird time bubble away from the rest of the story/characters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My only ever so slight criticism of this season, and maybe earlier ones did it too, is a few of the jokes get a bit explained. For example, the cell phone recording of Gary was funny enough just seeing Mike angling his phone. Showing the record screen was a bit 'hey just making sure you guys caught that one'. Happened a few times in the season.

Fab year again though, can't wait to see what happens next.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That "baby" was born like 4 show years ago so should be a toddler. Gilly's baby exists in a weird time bubble away from the rest of the story/characters.

Not to be nitpicky but the Tully dude said that only two years had passed in universe between the Red Wedding and the present day in show. So that baby should be two and a half or so.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sorry to interrupt the Game of Thrones chat but I was just rewatching the finale and does Doyle pronounce Montez's name "Monte-th"? I think that's only a thing in Castilian Spanish and not in Latin American Spanish.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Throatwarbler posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Game of Thrones chat but I was just rewatching the finale and does Doyle pronounce Montez's name "Monte-th"? I think that's only a thing in Castilian Spanish and not in Latin American Spanish.

I do believe that's part of the joke. I missed the idea where she's zero Latin and copping a fake accent, so if that's the case it's hilarious.

And, yes, Castilian only though I don't know if Bathelona is a Catalan thing as well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just catching up on the season now. Did anyone catch this fun bit of casting?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Propaganda Machine posted:

I do believe that's part of the joke. I missed the idea where she's zero Latin and copping a fake accent, so if that's the case it's hilarious.

I completely missed that as well, I assumed that she had some Mexican heritage but was born and raised in America and ended up marrying a guy she met in Mexico for some other reason, but her marrying a Mexican man and then immediately co-opting their entire culture in a cynical bid to get voters is way funnier.

I think next season will be interesting. I'm worried that it could end up like season 4 of Arrested Development with everyone so far apart, but I'm sure they'll find reasons to get back together. Dan could do Selina's first post-office interview for CBS (that is, the Columbia Broadcasting Station), Amy could help Selina get reacquainted with real life, Catherine and Marjorie could hire Mike to do publicity for them, etc. I'm sure one of them will end up writing a book that reveals everything they've tried to keep secret (probably Sue).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Sue does not consent to have her name or likeness used with regards to this or any other book :haw:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

A line I just heard on CNN, something to the effect of, "Clinton campaign blaming the Russians for leaked email scandal," reminded me of this season's China plot, and the appropriate (if temporally backward) thread title.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Just watched Ghostbusters, and half of the VEEP cast seems to be in it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Anya posted:

Just watched Ghostbusters, and half of the VEEP cast seems to be in it.

You mean like two people? (although Zach Woods was in a couple of episodes and has one of my favorite moments in the whole series)

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Yeah, it's just Mike and Richard, other than a few single-episode characters.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

mastajake posted:

A line I just heard on CNN, something to the effect of, "Clinton campaign blaming the Russians for leaked email scandal," reminded me of this season's China plot, and the appropriate (if temporally backward) thread title.

Life imitates Art.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
the villain and the tour guide as well! I connect every HBO show to everything so I was more distracted by going "oh you!" every five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
They had Jon H Ryan for Congress tshirts at NY ComicCon, was tempted but didn't pick one up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread