Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
They also said that nobody from Washington goes out there, so it's clearly clandestine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

xcore posted:

What was the joke with Mike seeing O'Brien at the Korean BBQ place? Is it to do with being stood up at dinner, the fact he is making moves for the presidency with key bigwigs or something else?
It wasn't a joke, the point was that Tom James, the guy in charge of saving the economy, is sneaking around with Dan & Amy's old lobbyist boss.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Was a bit wary showing this mid-season 5 episode to friends who had never seen it (we were having a Game of Thrones viewing party and I was just jonesin for a Veep update) but out of Silicon Valley and other more 'classic' comedies, this absolutely slayed them.

Can't wait to rewatch all the seasons with them.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

xcore posted:

What was the joke with Mike seeing O'Brien at the Korean BBQ place? Is it to do with being stood up at dinner, the fact he is making moves for the presidency with key bigwigs or something else?

It was Tom James, and last episode everyone (especially Ben) thought Dan was totally insane for thinking something was going on between Tom & Sidney Purcell because Tom kept plugging products Sidney was lobbying for in his TV appearances. Mike seeing them there together confirmed it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Oh poo poo, I forgot about him sneaking Purcell's clients into his speeches!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
But I still don't understand why his Groupon was rejected? He said it was $50 for $100, he doesn't say how much his order is but the host/restauranteur then says his order was over $100? I've used Groupon lots in my day and it doesn't really matter how much your order is, if its over the amount, you pay the extra, and if its under you don't get a refund, but they would still accept it?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

But I still don't understand why his Groupon was rejected? He said it was $50 for $100, he doesn't say how much his order is but the host/restauranteur then says his order was over $100? I've used Groupon lots in my day and it doesn't really matter how much your order is, if its over the amount, you pay the extra, and if its under you don't get a refund, but they would still accept it?

This is either a joke that went over my head or please, please don't do this.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

It was Tom James, and last episode everyone (especially Ben) thought Dan was totally insane for thinking something was going on between Tom & Sidney Purcell because Tom kept plugging products Sidney was lobbying for in his TV appearances. Mike seeing them there together confirmed it.

Didn't Mike talk to Tom James about the groupon and Korean BBQ before? Tom knew he would meet Mike there, it's a false flag operation. :tinfoil:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

waitwhatno posted:

Didn't Mike talk to Tom James about the groupon and Korean BBQ before? Tom knew he would meet Mike there, it's a false flag operation. :tinfoil:

Nope! Dan, Sue, Marjorie, Kent & I'm pretty sure Ben.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, Mike would never invite Tom James to something like this.

I've said it before when people keep comparing TTOI to Veep but it bears repeating: The biggest difference between the two shows isn't the setting or whatever the gently caress else you want to pin it on, it's Mike. Because he's the guy who has the closest analogue to Malcolm's job, and he's his polar opposite.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I never thought I'd find myself rooting for Jonah Ryan.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dazerbeams posted:

"My boyfriend's not a billionaire!" End shot of him and Dan holding hands in front of a cheering crowd.

Haha I totally missed this. I hope they run with it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I still think what others have speculated will happen she will lose the vote and end up Vice President again.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I really, really want O'Brien to win in the House, be certified, then die the next day.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/realleonwest/status/729523384120451073

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Veep will become a series of lost presidential elections where Selina somehow remains VP before taking over office through unusual circumstances. You can only be elected for two terms, but Selina will never be voted in!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dazerbeams posted:

Veep will become a series of lost presidential elections where Selina somehow remains VP before taking over office through unusual circumstances. You can only be elected for two terms, but Selina will never be voted in!

In season 10 she will be Jonahs VP. She becomes president again, when all of Washington collectively murders him.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

I know a few friends who have claimed that this season is lacking something.

Maybe that was true with the first few episodes, but Mother and C*ntgate are instant classics.

I see people complaining on the AVClub that this season isn't as good too, and I don't agree at all. This season's been great, and I feel like if people had no idea the original EP wasn't with the show anymore, they wouldn't notice any "quality difference".

Dazerbeams posted:

There was a bit of understanding bromance right before Jonah's speech. I think it will turn into some kind of awkward sometimes friendship that no one else gets.

I liked their weird little friendship moment a lot. It's funny seeing Dan appreciative of anything, and even then he's still telling the guy who complimented him to gently caress off.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nichael posted:

I see people complaining on the AVClub that this season isn't as good too, and I don't agree at all. This season's been great, and I feel like if people had no idea the original EP wasn't with the show anymore, they wouldn't notice any "quality difference".
Agreed. This season is up there with their best.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Agreed. This season is up there with their best.

Certainly, I think it's better even than a lot of the earlier material from the show. People on the internet are very quick to be the first to claim something's gone downhill and it's just kind of a boring and predictable criticism at this point. Especially when it becomes a contest or a badge of honor to be among the first to decry the subject matter.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This seasons feels MUCH better at building arcs.

The campaign stuff last year was a lot of fun, but huge chunks of the timeline were cut out. Like, Selena is hugely unliked, and then america loves her? And then they don''t? Its all super abstract and just a bunch of funny set pieces.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

This seasons feels MUCH better at building arcs.

The campaign stuff last year was a lot of fun, but huge chunks of the timeline were cut out. Like, Selena is hugely unliked, and then america loves her? And then they don''t? Its all super abstract and just a bunch of funny set pieces.

Maybe I'm misremembering things but I don't think Selina is liked, I think she's kind of tolerated. Considering how bad political polarity is in the nation, it's not surprising she gets the support she does just on party lines.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm slightly misremembering things, but the show kinda botched the general election stuff. We never got a good sense of the republican candidate, for instance. The primary stuff was marginally better.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Stare-Out posted:

Haha I totally missed this. I hope they run with it.
:lol: if Dan and Jonah has to fake a relationship for polling points I will die

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zsinjeh posted:

:lol: if Dan and Jonah has to fake a relationship for polling points I will die

Wanna toxx it?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm slightly misremembering things, but the show kinda botched the general election stuff. We never got a good sense of the republican candidate, for instance. The primary stuff was marginally better.

There's been so many twists n turns, scandals, and scapegoating in Selina's career/campaigns over the past couple of seasons that I can barely remember how we even got to where we were at the beginning of this season. I didn't even remember the O'Brien guy she was tied with and running against, and thought Tom James was her main opponent coming into the season. It's all good though, it just adds to the absurdity and general sense of just how hosed up all these people are.

Also, I want a Jonah/Richard spin-off so, so bad.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Narcissus1916 posted:

Well, thats sort of was the style of this show (and TToI before it.) The focus was on office stuff and character interactions rather than the characters' careers. That all sort of went out the window last season when they decided to have Selina become president.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Like someone else said, in the end it's all just set pieces for funny moments, but I do miss when they showed Selina being an extremely competent politician who was basically hamstrung by her own ego and her staff's general incompetence/duplicitous nature.

In Season 3 she basically brokers peace between I think Israel/Palestine or India/Pakistan or some other hardcore rivals and then her team immediately fucks it up in some way IIRC.

But as president she's basically a constant fuckup like she was back in Season 1.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I thought that Selina's talk with Amy in this episode about how people hate women, was a callback to her quote (basically again to Amy, and again while smoking) about "the axis of dick" back in the "Helsinki" episode of Season 2. Which was also a great episode of the series.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Helsinki is one of my favorites too, not least of all because I'm a Finn myself and about 99% of the episode survives scrutiny. They got almost all of it right; cop cars and police uniforms and stuff like that, the only iffy parts were when characters spoke Finnish (Dave Foley and Sally Phillips mostly, though they were both excellent in the episode and being non-Finns it's understandable), and in one scene they had the wrong kinds of dumpsters for Helsinki which was kinda funny.

E: Also, "Danteeksi" was pretty clever.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 2, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Someone at HBO really likes throwing money in random directions, to confuse people. That tie looks awful.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Hi. I'm new to this thread.

1) Government people are terrible.
2) Do you think Sue would marry me?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Hi. I'm new to this thread.

2) Do you think Sue would marry me?
2) She is already married.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So Selina totally pushed her daughter into Majorie( secret agent) arms. Was rewatching the season and Selina tells Majorie to comfort her daughter when her mother is dying and she is having a emotional breakdown in the hallway.

It's almost too perfect.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Propaganda Machine posted:

I love that HBO is going all out with these fake websites. That blog is even better than the Pied Piper site.
Veep also has a stronger lols per show rating than Silicon Valley.

But on the other hand, Mike Judge is objectively better looking than Armeni Ilanyticci. So it's a tough call.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

That was a fantastic Dean scream from Jonah.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Don't you look....strapping.

whalesteak posted:

That was a fantastic Dean scream from Jonah.
And he messed up Brattleboro, thought that didn't sound right.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wow that was a loving killer episode.

The best has to be

" I got us here you sentient enema"

Also

" Oh you know what I did the same thing"

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I loved every single thing about that episode, and selina and tom doing it was absolutely perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

EccoRaven posted:

I loved every single thing about that episode, and selina and tom doing it was absolutely perfect.

The way she worked that room was a thing of beauty. Sometimes she is a really competent politician.

• Locked thread