Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The last one is my favourite, where the cat is side-eying the screen and their human before just noping out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The first one just slays me. "Hey put me down, oh you want to play lets play hahah what you want me to look at the scree.... WHAT THE gently caress"

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

The first one just slays me. "Hey put me down, oh you want to play lets play hahah what you want me to look at the scree.... WHAT THE gently caress"

Yep, the shots of the cats that look at the screen and are unnerved and then *look back up at their owners for confirmation* are amazing. That's some new mirror-self-realization stuff, cat wise.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
A number of people have been making that point, but isn't that technically the cat recognizing that the human is distinct and has a reflection but not itself? I feel like I remember reading that cats have always failed the mirror test as it is typically applied.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

A number of people have been making that point, but isn't that technically the cat recognizing that the human is distinct and has a reflection but not itself? I feel like I remember reading that cats have always failed the mirror test as it is typically applied.

People in the Twitter thread have suggested that cats may "fail" the mirror test because they're simply disinterested in their reflection and don't bother to show a reaction that would indicate that they know it's them. There's videos that show otherwise, like one someone posted of a cat seeing itself in the mirror and apparently realizing for the first time that it has big ears sticking out of its head. Or the fact that even territorial cats that get into fights with others don't necessarily react with aggression toward their own reflection.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Lot's of mirror cat vids exist. Of course they often result in the cat posturing, as if it's a different (often threatening) cat in the mirror. This is something different. The classic test, IIRC, is a "spot" is placed on the subject, and the subject recognizes that the "spot" is abnormal when looking in a mirror image (dolphins, chimpanzees, gorillas, and elephants respond). Wonder if it's the backwards image of the mirror vs. the lcd normalized image that's the deal with cats (and maybe others)?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/V8uJroq.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ePeMo9K.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

People in the Twitter thread have suggested that cats may "fail" the mirror test because they're simply disinterested in their reflection and don't bother to show a reaction that would indicate that they know it's them. There's videos that show otherwise, like one someone posted of a cat seeing itself in the mirror and apparently realizing for the first time that it has big ears sticking out of its head. Or the fact that even territorial cats that get into fights with others don't necessarily react with aggression toward their own reflection.

"Cat knows, but does not care" is certainly true to their character.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Segmentation Fox posted:

FENK STAK FENK STAK FENK STAK

Also this came up in my recommendations and it's pretty much the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n7xLAOk8uU

That's keke, a french artist who does all of their animating on a NintendoDS.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's some good discussion on the cat mirror test in the cursed images thread. I think this is the final word:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The point of the mirror test, which people don't go through enough effort to understand, is that the animal displays an awareness of the mirror itself and that its reflection represents its own physical body, which when acted upon can be changed, it also then is necessary for the animal to have a baseline comprehension of what it looks like. That's why it's done by having a dot or object placed on the animal which the animal is intended to inspect if it passes the test since it can recognize then that the object or dot is not part of its regular, perceived self, if the animal doesn't respond to that dot, it fails. Cats almost always fail. Hence why it's an (incredibly flawed) metric for self awareness. It's also an old an arbitrary metric so acting all hard up that you've beaten those pesky scientists is goofy as hell. In the videos the cats aren't reacting to themselves or changes in their physical self, but to other objects in the reflection which they have comprehension enough to understand is a reflection, but that isn't even close to being the same as being able to assess changes or have cognizant memory or understanding of the state of self. Part of the mirror test is recognizing that the dot placed on you is alien to your body, not anyone else's, so a cat realizing that a reflection is inaccurate to its owner, an outside entity, displays awareness of change and object memory that tons of animals have but isn't necessarily an awareness of the state of your own body. Again, it's not about realizing that reflections represent objects or that those objects have place outside the mirror, but an ability to assess the normal state of one's self and notice aberrations. The mirror test also initially requires a comprehension that the object causing a reflection is in fact a mirror. Holding a polished, perfect mirror up to an animal that understands reflections can still fool it since it doesn't know it's a mirror, whereas something like reflections in water are recognizable as being on a familiar reflective surface. So familiarity to reflective objects is another factor. House cats are familiar with mirrors and cameras, thus learned the rules of them, still doesn't mean they'd pass the mirror test (which time and time again, when done with the actual metric of the test, they fail.)

Also the cat might just be looking to its owner which is holding it for help, so it's already tainted as any sort of proof by that alone. Let alone a stupid filter that is probably massive overstimulation and terrifying to them. Regardless the mirror test is flawed since even if an animal doesn't pass it, animals have other, capable abilities to make distinctions between their own selves and others while also maintaining a concept of self, than just visually.

And that's why you shouldn't listen to Twitter people about basic animal behavior you take in your first year of Vet school.

EDIT: An easy way to think of it is you waking up, looking in the mirror, seeing you have a pimple in a spot you didn't before. That requires an awareness of the state of your physical self and the recognition that the pimple is a change in that state of yourself.
This has nothing to do with your friend's reflection suddenly changing into a demon and scaring the poo poo out of you.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I knew it! Cats are so stupid! :smugdog:

(dogs don't pass either)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

How was this not quoted to be in the first post on the next page? This is one of the strongest posts ever.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This xpost doesn't need sound but it helps

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

There's some good discussion on the cat mirror test in the cursed images thread. I think this is the final word:

"Final word" is NEVER a scientificy thing. :)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
That calf learned that from me.

Also, naming a cow 'Chuck' seems a little on the nose.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BlackIronHeart posted:

The name is chug because drat can that calf chug.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BlackIronHeart posted:

It's better than that: I think he's named "Chug"

God DAMMIT Inceltown.

<sigh>

OK, maybe next time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

How could a cat understand the concept of a reflection in a mirror but also not that it's part of the reflection itself?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The mirror test has always seemed like nonsense to me, since passing it requires an assumption of a mental model of self appearance that isn't actually required for self awareness.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akE2Sgg8hI8

This definitely seems like the cat acknowledging something surprising about itself.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

The mirror test has always seemed like nonsense to me, since passing it requires an assumption of a mental model of self appearance that isn't actually required for self awareness.

Yep, models are made to be broken, and/but kinda have to be based on human assumptions from the beginning.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akE2Sgg8hI8

This definitely seems like the cat acknowledging something surprising about itself.

Yep. And my extremely ordinary cat always does the, "scratch me harder *here*" point thing with her paw. Which is always amazing.

We know nothing yet.

Edit: The cat in the vid above seems to be actively seeking out the mirror to have a gander at itself. Feed them well lest it be our end. :)

Otteration has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Dec 12, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PainterofCrap posted:

It's better than that: I think he's named "Chug"

God DAMMIT Inceltown.

<sigh>

OK, maybe next time.

It's OK. More than one person is allowed to be correct. We're all friends here.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Intelligence is a complicated thing, and there are different types of it. An animal may not pass the mirror test, but also have good problem solving skills. Really, failing the mirror test is less "this animal is stupid and doesn't know what it is" than "this test measures a type of thinking that this particular animal is not good at."

I have cockatiels, and they definitely fail the mirror test so far as I can tell, but they have a vocabulary that occasionally surprises me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And, of course, ants pass the mirror test.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My brother had an Oscar (thats a fish) it didn't like mirrors.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

wesleywillis posted:

My parrot hates mirrors so much - we used to have one of those double-sided cosmetic mirrors. First she threw it on the floor and smashed one side, then bided her time for over a week until she got an opportunity to throw it down from the hook it was on. She had to abseil down the side of a piece of furniture to get at it but she was just extremely determined to destroy the thing that the really pissy-looking parrot hid inside.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

wesleywillis posted:

Male Betta splendens/Siamese fighting fish are famous for reacting to mirrors, but the working hypothesis is that they instinctively think it's another male betta.

Informal PSA: please don't make bettas react to mirrors very often at all, it is exhausting for them

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/QZzgbRE.mp4

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So this is their plan for after they win the war with the rhoombas.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RoboRodent posted:

Intelligence is a complicated thing, and there are different types of it. An animal may not pass the mirror test, but also have good problem solving skills. Really, failing the mirror test is less "this animal is stupid and doesn't know what it is" than "this test measures a type of thinking that this particular animal is not good at."

This is what I was trying to get at; a cat being able to recognize that something is a reflection (or should be, and isn't) doesn't necessarily mean that they can recognize themselves in a mirror (or, for that matter, that failing the mirror test doesn't even mean that they can't).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You all may or may not remember Augie, the lab mix that my parents adopted. Big news, he now has full couch privileges!

BUT, once in a while his sister Ruby comes over and she steals his favorite spot! She is the boss.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/rahm3sh/status/1204855246872334336

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Night10194 posted:

So this is their plan for after they win the war with the rhoombas.

No, they're becoming allies in the war against the dogs. This was a test for the First Mounted Cat Battalion.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is not cute, but it affected me so I wanted to share it. This is a live performance of "Whiter Shade of Pale" and because I am old there's something about it that makes me emotional. I watch it at work sometimes to remind myself that I can still feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6jyEFe5WM

Then I read some of the comments... :cry:

quote:

The year was 1967 when this was released. The year I met and married my beloved Mario. He passed away just 10 months ago after being ravaged by Alzheimer's disease. This was our song...always played on every anniversary 50 in total. I found a beautiful orchestral version of it and had it played at the end of his funeral mass. It always tugs at my heart strings! I play it now to remember all the happy times. Beautiful!

quote:

I was 18 years old, away from home for the first time in my life doing something I thought was for my country but also to prove I’m 100% American. I was in Viet Nam with the 1st Mar Div in 1969-1970. I remember listening to this song and crying my eyes out. I don’t know why as I didn’t even understand the song back then. But the song had this grip on me that I can’t explain. Every time I hear this song it brings me back to Nam. I’m 67 years old and I still cry when I listen to this song. My version of what a whiter shade of pale is slightly different from song.

quote:

I just listened to this. I am 71 now and my Wife is 62. Took my tablet downstairs and hooked it up to my stereo system. Asked my wife for a dance. Took her a minute to get up. We went downstairs put our arms around each other and swayed to the music.

There was a comment from a man who fell in love with a girl after dancing to this song with her. They lost touch, but he found her again 25 years later and they got married. :unsmith:

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Dec 12, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
As penance I offer you all this bird...

https://twitter.com/foxfeather/status/1205199544109215750

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love this kestrel because she is very small and fierce.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Gray foxes are smaller than red foxes. And very cute.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/ZyTpos6.mp4

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

oh :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Thanks for this; as soon as I read the title I could hear the organ solo. Never quite understood it as a kid, but absolutely have the same feeling whenever it's on.