Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Suspect Bucket posted:

Unfortunately, a lot of people buy or adopt the dog first, then pay for them to go to service dog training. So someone in a wheelchair may be stuck with hyperhund, or need to find him a different home.

"Bad news, your service dog is a musclehead that loves to bite wheelchairs, but drat is he good at pulling"

Hey, he hears “service dog” and just misinterprets what it means when he sees a tennis ball is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
My poor dog Bo has to go in for surgery for bladder stones this Friday; they fortunately caught it before he had an actual blockage and he's a much healthier weight than he has been, but considering he just turned 10 surgery's never completely safe at his age. In the interest of encouraging prayers here's some shots of him at one of our church's Blessing of the Animals services. Considering he howled loud enough to startle somebody into falling at said service (and previous to this ate the baby Jesus out of one of the Nativity creches my parents collect), I probably should have skipped the blessing and gone straight to an exorcism :).

MadDogMike has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Jun 26, 2019

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Heh, can relate to this now naturally. Just as an update, Bo's surgery went fine, they removed three small stones. Only real problem was apparently vet said bladder surgery is one of the most painful for a dog and I believe it based on how he was acting when we picked him up; it is heartbreaking listening to your dog yelp and whine like that :cry:. Fortunately he seems to have figured out how to sit and lay down without causing it to hurt finally (or else the painkillers they provided finally kicked in), though for a while when he'd sit it was like watching an Apollo moon landing with how he ever so gradually lowered his rear end to the ground. It's kind of funny watching him try to navigate the Cone of Shame; I watched him turning his head this way and that trying to figure out how to go into his kennel (he likes to go lie there on his own) and as I'm in the next room I hear this series of *THWAP* noises as the dog apparently decided "screw it" and forced his way into the kennel, though he decided it was too hard to lay down in it sadly. Still, he went from shaky and hurting to surprisingly active within a day, we're kind of having to make him stop trying to do a lot of things he likes to do like jump on the couch/chair to lie down and when I got a chance to take him outside to pee he gets all excited and tries to make me take him for his usual longer walk. Not yet, buddy!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Bertrand Hustle posted:

She bit me today and broke the skin. Even hissed at me. Demeanor instantly changed after I put her down and she started headbutting me and rubbing against me. I think I picked her up wrong and scared her. So now I'm on a week of antibiotics to prevent infection. Even with all that, I have completely fallen in love with this cat.

Well of course, how could you not be in love with Aphra Bitey?

Sorry not sorry...

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

MrUnderbridge posted:

Looks like a lab. They are literally insatiable, since they have a gene mutation that doesn't let them feel full. My parents lab ate a batch of bran muffins until she couldn't fit anything else in. Then she lay about with a bloated belly for hours until she spent a long time in the yard producing humongous dumps.

Hmm, do beagles have a similar mutation? Sure would explain a lot about why the only thing they won’t randomly ignore is their stomach. Sadly Bo has a gluten allergy, he would have been hospitalized after a trick like that (eating half a loaf of French bread had him puking for days).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Had Blessing of the Pets earlier this month, so figured I'd post some of my pictures of Bo and the various other dogs who came to church, including a beagle meetup that somehow surprisingly did NOT end up in a howling chorus.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Odd Mutant posted:

How are golden retrievers so good?!

All dogs are good, even the occasionally naughty ones.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Not only does he have the Eye of the Tiger, he has two of them!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Was going through my old pics and found a bunch of my dog as a pup that seemed well suited to here:

And a current one, since I say he's still just as cute even as an old man now :colbert:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

MrYenko posted:

This is how your dogs develop an irrational fear of bedtime.

A rational fear, certainly.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Pookah posted:

:cry:

He couldn't have had a gentler end :unsmith:.

I've had to let dogs go several times, and it is so much harder to do it when there isn't a specific crisis, just a general decline that is slowly making life too painful, but it's just the right thing to do, even though it hurts so much.

Yeah, lost my dog Bo last month, developed Cushings but we didn't catch it until too late because we just thought he was "getting old". Wound up going downhill right after the diagnosis and died right before we could euthanize him. Truth be told, I'm still hurting from when I put the dog before him (Smokey) down (sucks having memories of Smokey going limp in my arms replace all the good stuff in my memories too much :smith:) so I can't help but feel like Bo did that just so I wouldn't need to experience that again. God bless you buddy.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Still working with my puppy Bubbles, he starts obedience training this Friday so hopefully he takes to it. He has learned the "cuddle" command very well:

Though "don't eat my hand" is still taking some work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

feedmyleg posted:

The dog has to be invited in because dogs are a subspecies of vampire

Would explain all the blood my puppy’s managed to draw from me :gibs:.