Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

At the end of february this year, we adopted a dog who had been dumped without any explanation beyond "Here, you can have him" on a shih tzu breeder's doorstep. She brought him to a rescue centre, wheich is where we heard about him.

When Henry was first brought into our house by the lady from the rescue centre, she told us she'd never seen a dog who was so withdrawn and that it'd be a long, slow road to helping him recover. For the whole of that first evening he just lay on the floor with his face completely hidden and just blocked us out completely :(

This is Henry about three days after arrived:

He was just the saddest little puppy you've ever seen; he was so withdrawn and afraid, and I don't think he'd ever been taken for a walk in his life.

Anyway, that was three months ago and he's so much better!

He still has a long long way to go; he's still very shy and nervous at times, and reverts to hiding if he's startled or tired, but he's the most loving, affectionate, sweet-natured little pupper underneath it all :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SynthOrange posted:

Poor lil guy, he looks so sweet.

He really really is - very nibbly though and an unstoppable shoe and sock thief :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SynthOrange posted:

How old is he, at best guess?

Henry? The vet that assessed him when he was first taken in thought he was less than a year old, which would make him about 15 months old now - which is obviously great news for both his chances of a full recovery from trauma and for us to have our lovely puppy for as long as possible. :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SynthOrange posted:

That's super good news. Give him a good a life as possible. He seems so sweet. :3:

Thank you! He actually had a mini-breakthrough today; I asked him if he wanted to go for a walk and for the first time ever, he got all excited about it and said something like A-ROO-ROO-ROOOOOO, which is his very happy sound.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Huntersoninski posted:

I would like to see a video of this please.

Believe me, I've been trying, but he's so secretive about being excited :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ZoeDomingo posted:

My parents have a shih-tzu; she makes that same noise when she's happy. Sometimes she does it with a toy in her mouth, so it sounds like "R-RRR-RRR-RRRRRR." It's the best sound. :)

He does that too! All barky through a toy so that its all muffled and soft!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Context: Ireland unexpectedly qualified for the last 16 in the Euros last night ( big thing in soccerball) and our awesome president Michael D was there to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtuDZp8Q91I

:woop:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My poor Henry puppy got a terrible fright today. We were playing on the sofa and he was doing the usual dog thing of lying on his side beside me and "digging" a hole in the cushions, so I naturally slid my hand under one of the cushions and invisibly scrabbled at his burrowing paws - at the first touch he catapulted backwards off the sofa, then cautiously climbed back up to investigate. At the second touch he leapt sideways over the arm of the sofa and now he won't sit on it at all in case the sofa monster touches his paws.

Poor Henry.

:3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SinineSiil posted:

Little boy is consoling a French fan after their team lost a football match

What a kind little boy :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Holy poo poo.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Henry is a very wooly puppy:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

KayTee posted:

That's a Fizzgig. :colbert:

So THAT'S what that is called! I only had vague memories of it and Henry does trigger them very often, especially when he is excited :3:

Pookah has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Jan 8, 2017

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Wanna see that dog in a high wind :3:

He's extraordinarily glamorous.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

fizzymercy posted:

Today a good dog left this world and I'm gonna lionize her here, as she would have loved. This is Sophie and she is more awesome and bitchy than you could dream of being. She was so loved it hurt:

Sincere condolences on your loss; she looks like a very excellent ladydog :). I lost my old lady dog a couple of years ago and it was pretty rough, I absolutely could hear her moving around the house for weeks after she was gone (not saying it was ghosts or anything, just that my memory was probably filling in sounds that it expected to hear).

It's probably going to sound incredibly nerdy but I really liked the analogy someone came up with that from a dog's prespective we''re like LOTR elves; we live basically forever, have superpowers of treat and toy creation, and for some mysterious reason we just choose to love and care for ordinary ol doggos just... because we do. It hurts that their lives are so much shorter than ours but on the other hand we do get to share our lives with many dog friends if we want to.

This is a very good video that everyone should watch and also reminds me of a story my Aunt's mother told me; She had a farm and had a clutch of duck eggs that she wanted to hatch, but the duck mother was very unreliable, so she put them under a very motherly hen. When the ducklings hatched, the poor hen was run ragged trying to keep the ducklings safe from the horrors of the pond. She was successful for a while, but then one day they heard a lot of panicked clucking and when they when to check they found the hen running around on top of the septic tank. When they got closer they heard the echoing sound of happy little ducks from inside the tank. They'd managed to get into it and were merrily paddling about on top of the liquid inside. The only access was a small vent hole so things were looking pretty bad until someone remembered a little fishing net they had, it took hours but all of the ducklings were eventually scooped out safely.

Happily all the ducklings were perfectly unharmed. They were washed and put in a nice safe enclosure with their hen mother :3:

Pookah has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Jan 19, 2017

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Lady feeding nectar to a tired bee :3::

I do this all the time! The weather where I live is very changeable so you regularly find bumblebees that have gotten a bit chilly and tired when the sun clouds over. A little bit of sugar water on a spoon and they are full of beans in a few minutes; it really is very satisfying :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

CherryCat posted:

Tomorrow, after 11 wonderful years we will be saying goodbye to Dylan.

He is a very good boy and I cannot imagine how hard it will be without him. So please can I request anything that makes you smile, just nice things that make the world seem a tiny bit brighter.

He clearly is a Very Good Boy indeed. One thing that comforted me when my old lady dog dies was thinking about how lucky we were to have found her in the first place, and how lucky we were to have her with us as long as we did.

These pictures make me happy; after my lovely Daisy died at the ripe old age of 15 1/2, we adoped a very frightened and traumatised little lhasa apso puppy who we called Henry.

This is Henry when he first arrived:

He was so afraid he wouldn't move or even look up for days :(

It took months and months but he's a lot happier and calmer now :)
Here is he just after a nice bath. The first thing he did once he was let out into the garden was to find a nice muddy hole and put his face in it.

He is a Good Puppy.

And this is him looking very serious and dignified:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm on a work trip to the Shetland Isles. There are puffins. :)

What a delightful photograph! - not just the puffins, the whole composition is just lovely :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That gorrilla is a far better dancer than anyone I know.

Also, Ireland's president Michael D. is famously lovely and wonderful, but did you know he also has lovely pups?

https://twitter.com/grainnebiddle/status/878192232720814086

If you go walking in the Phoenix Park, he might just turn up in your photos!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Finally remembered who this little guy reminds me of:

(Warning: Very scary image)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

PANDA COWS!!!

They were one of my favourite things to look out for while travelling around New Zealand, they are oddly and wonderfully popular in some areas there there :3:

LifeSunDeath posted:

One time a worker threw a rib bone with some bbq on it over my mom's fence and her little malti got it and had the best day of her life. Then my mom caught her with the bone and took it away and she was super sad all day ;(

One time my dad gave my old dog Sam (a shih tzu) the big bone out of a leg of lamb and he spent the whole day chewing it, carrying it around, and occasionally digging imaginary holes and 'burying' it. The following day he wouldn't play with it at all because apparently his face was sore from too much chewing :(.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Jul 17, 2017

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's been said before but if you find a tired and cold bumble bee, it is easy and fun to restore them to full strength; just mix a little sugar with some warm water and offer it carefully to the bee. Care is needed because you don't want to spill it and get the bee's fuzzy coat all sticky. The bee will feast upon the sugar water and within in minutes will be fighting fit again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLZnoM6_iqA

They have long curly tongues too :3:

Pookah has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Aug 2, 2017

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I drew my lovely Daisy only a little while before she died:

She was a very good girl :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

a kitten posted:

rollover.exe did not load correctly

https://i.imgur.com/gGOZWN6.gifv

Just reminded me of my friend's neighbours dog whose given name I cannot remember; his spirit name was so obviously Bodhi that I could never call him anything else - he's just a big, loose-limbed, perma-stoned, blonde doofus :3:

Yeah, the dad's commentary is about 50% of the greatness of that video - "Quick, she's losing her charge!"

Pookah has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Aug 12, 2017

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was just out walking Henry and on our way back we met a couple of kids who wanted to pat him. While they were fuzzling his ears and so forth, we got chatting and I happened to mention that he's a rescue dog, and the little boy looked a little puzzled and asked "What does he rescue you from?"

We settled on him rescuing me from birds, cats, paper bags, loud noises and boredom.

(The Rescue Dog in question)

(While rescuing me from something)

Pookah has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Aug 14, 2017

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Slime posted:

I am convinced that humans manage to tame and domesticate animals because we give the best pets.

:hai: It's the only explanation that fits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUgx7mKMu7c&t=11s

Sharks' minds must be absolutely blown by the incredible sensation called 'cuddles'

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Samovar posted:

Princess of Blandings, surely?

Don't be talking hoooey about that pig; she's the Empress of Blandings.

:colbert:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

And they have very soft, furry-sounding barks for a big dog :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

yeah I eat rear end posted:

To me they seem more like high-pitched piercing loud barks, which they make a lot of constantly. They are definitely the cutest dog though and I want one if I ever settle somewhere with appropriate weather and get a place with enough space.

Yeah, in retrospect, 'soft' is not exactly the right word to describe samoyed barks, but there is something unexpected about how they sound - is it that their barks sound like they ought to be coming from a much smaller dog?

Of course Henry wasn't sticking his face into the mud, why do you ask?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Clicks album link very cautiously.

Axeman Jim posted:

The Mouse Catching Committee, formed of Pookah and Boy, held a high level meeting today whereupon it was decided that Duck's mouse catching was not up to standard.

Duck responded by catching a mouse. Still not really got the idea.

Nice names, nice cats.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The Aphasian posted:

Here's a picture of my good dog Mabel I took in the style of Jan van Eyck.

This is her with her best friend Ruby chasing a stick.

Mabel looks like a very very good girl and Ruby looks pretty nice too. When I was a kid my friend's dog had a best friend who used to call for him every morning; he'd just stand and wait outside the door until someone noticed him and let their dog out, then the two of them would go off and play on the beach for most of the day :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Think about how much trust that bird has for their owner that they let them cover their wings and partially block their vision :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

gamera009 posted:

My pupper is probably going to have to be put down. Can I have pictures of best buddy puppers? I’m having difficulty coping. :smith:

I'm very sorry to hear your pup is so ill :(

More new friends than best friends, this is my Henry (right, worried) meeting new Henry ( left, large).

Both Henry's are Lhasa Apso, both Henry's are weird.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That's actually painfully cute, especially the one where she's with the big brown muppet dog.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Something I discovered when looking a thing up for the pyf historical fun facts thread is that if you do a google image search for the phrase:

the glen sit

You get some extremely adorable results.

(if you like doggies that is, you cat weirdos probably won't get it :colbert:)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

^^^ I'm so jealous that you have that whole thread to read, it's great fun. (most of the time) ^^^

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Horsey McHorseface posted:

Hey Cute thread,

I got a call from my dad this evening. He told me that our family dog, Pepper, had died earlier today.

Could I request the best dogs you have or can find? I'd like to know that the spirit of the Good Boy lives on elsewhere since Pepper's mission has ended.

The Good Boy in question. May he rest in peace.

And as a pup. That was probably the very first picture we took of him.

Please hug all your pets real tight for me. I would hug my Momo, but she's apparently not in the mood.

:(

I'm very sorry to hear about your pup, he's looks to have been a very handsome and good boy.

This is my very dear Daisy, who died in July 2015. She was a very rude old lady but we loved her very much indeed.

This is Henry Puppy

We adopted him in february of last year. He was an extremely sad puppy when we got him, but he's mostly a happy boy now with plenty of toys and hugs. Honestly, he's not always a Very Good Boy (housebreaking was... challenging), but I think he tries his best.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Oct 22, 2017

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

*David Attenborough voice*

"The young cheetah's hunt is successful. Kisses, the well-earned reward"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Teach posted:

I was looking through some scans of old photographs, and I think I have something that qualifies for this thread. When I met the girl who became my wife, she and her family had a Staffordshire Bull Terrier called Jake. He was full grown when I first encountered him, in about '90.

My brother in law with Jake.

I love every picture in this post, but I have to single out this one;

lookatthosepuppyears

:kimchi:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Slime posted:

Welsh has a habit of being fairly literal with naming things that are either similar to other things or just a particular breed, which probably helps with some stuff being mutually intelligible. Like our word for rat is 'llygoden mawr'. It translates as...big mouse. I have no idea what I'm meant to say when I encounter an actual mouse that happens to be large.

I just tried sounding out the phrase 'llygoden mawr' with my extremely limited knowledge of how welsh works and had the mind-blowing realisation that the welsh word for 'big' is almost identical to the irish one (mór)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bobby Digital posted:

GUYS I MADE A NEW FRIEND :3:

I am extremely envious right now.

:kimchi: