Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Electric Hobo posted:

They're Maine Coons, so they're big and impossible to handle if they don't want their picture taken.

Big, but absolute cuddlebugs. Maine Coons have consistently been the friendliest, cuddliest cats I've ever met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, their comfort, our entertainment.

It's also helpful for cats whose coats tend to get very matted and tangled beyond the power of combs and brushes to deal with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Since we're posting cats, here's my last one - he died last year and we haven't gotten another.

Lun Tha to my mom who named him, Looney to everyone else. He was kind of odd in that he was not, repeat not a lap cat and not very affectionate. But he loved to be near you, preferably stretched across the back of an occupied chair or couch. He just wouldn't stay in a lap or anything for more than a minute or two.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SynthOrange posted:

Aw thats a little blind dog isnt it?

Yup, looks like something wrong with its eyes when it faces the camera. I've seen setups like that for blind dogs before, seems to work pretty well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Get a greyhound. They're basically housecats.

PI seems to agree.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The dance of the domestic marshmallow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nerdz posted:

how is this cat possible

Picking a fight with a bee is my guess.

Edit: It came from PI.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Not so long ago, as these things go, that was a wolf.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PI.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Help I have somehow taken in strays!

Someone dumped them in a box at our office

They just escaped my little containment zone and are crawling all over my room oh god

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Here they are fed and a bit happier. They can waddle, their ears are up, and they have teeth so I'm estimating 4 weeks? They're underweight though. How worried should I be about overfeeding? They go crazy every time I give them wet food each 2-3 hours , 1 of those little tubs between the three of them. Never dealt with cats this young...

e: I have them at work today and people won't stop coming into my office to play with them :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More from PI. Not mine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

neonnoodle posted:

Is that a peacock?!

Why not? They're feral pests here in Florida.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PI.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kwyndig posted:

To be fair, considering what we did with cats (nature's most adorable killing machines) we probably shouldn't actually make more animals into pets.

Here's a video of one poking at a mirror

There have been studies noting that cats honestly aren't domesticated compared to most animals we consider that way - your typical house cat is much closer to an Africa wildcat than a dog is to a wolf or a cow to an auroch. Those animals, we specifically bred to be docile, obedient, and generally less dangerous. Cats just showed up when humans started farming because fields and granaries attracted lots of pests which the cats saw as easy meals of their own with ready access to shelter, and cats haven't changed much since. Cats go feral and turn into murderous little predators easily and only a few breeds like persians and ragdolls can be considered truly domesticated.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kwyndig posted:

I was more referring to the fact everywhere we go cats follow and kind of destroy everything, for fun.

To be fair, it's cute.

Their capacity for destruction and wanton slaughter is why early human civilization welcomed cats. :v: That they're adorable was merely a bonus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

This is my 17 year old cat. That is a normal sized computer chair. She's just massive. As further evidence of her absurdly large size, here she is taking up almost an entire couch cusion (again, normal human sized furniture):

She is hands down the chillest cat I've ever met, and is 100% on board with belly rubs and chin scratches. She's down for attention no matter what, basically. Recently, we redid the floors and ended up with a big empty nook with an east facing window, and a spare futon. Solution? Put futon in nook folded into a bed so that she has a big comfy spot to lounge in the sun in the mornings. I'm not even joking. She's basically a giant, super affectionate, permanently purring ball of love and it's going to loving break me when she goes. On the other hand, her cat bed is a literal bed, so it's not like we didn't do everything we could to keep her happy:unsmith:

Sounds like a typical maine coon both in size and behavior. You may want to look into another when she does pass.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
PI found this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BattleMaster posted:

I thought it was a salad from the thumbnail.

It's a salad that screams and bites you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another PI crosspost.

subpar anachronism posted:

all aboard the tater train

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

What's even more adorable is the story behind it. The little kid was in disbelief that the President of the United States was like him - that he was black. Obama bent down so the kid could feel his hair and feel for himself that Obama's hair was just like the kid's own.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Why is that cat not getting snuggled 24/7? I don't understand :psyduck:

That is the stare of a cat locked onto a cat treat being held outside the camera's view.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rabbit Hill posted:

No picture (yet--it's still on my camera), but I'm on vacation in Russia and have been in St. Petersburg for the past few days, and yesterday I was in Peter and Paul Cathedral, where all the tsars are buried, this beautiful and incredibly solemn and significant place, and I glanced over at a bench along the wall, and there was a big fat calico cat sleeping on its face on the bench. Like look at dis fukkin cat, thinking she's in her living room, napping next to Tsar Alexander II like it ain't no thing. :3:

Orthodox churchmen love their animals, and cathedral cats are very much a thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

It's amazing how not only does it clearly know the appropriate levels of rough to be with the babies, the mother clearly knows in advance that it knows too.

Barn cat with her kittens and a farm dog I'm guessing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PI, a goon has a new puppy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PI, a goon's new cat and kitten (kitten came with its mom).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kwyndig posted:

If they're keeping both cats good luck telling them apart once that kitten grows up :3:

I don't think it would be that hard, kitten looks like he has much darker points than mom.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fizzymercy posted:

Haha, I love that name for gulab jamun. It's so adorably perfect. My very amazing Bangladeshi nanny used to make them with saffron and cardamom scented chashni. I'd pay a million dollars to taste that again. Thanks for the nostalgia bomb, dude.

In other news, my dogs are officially a ridiculous old married couple:

Ana and Brick 4 eva.

That is a ridiculously obese dog. :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Polaron posted:

Who are all of these people putting Santa outfits on crocodiles?

Florida Men. I drive past a billboard advertising a gator farm every day on my way to and from work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kwyndig posted:

Cats 'run' at a warmer temp than humans, their low range is above human average and it's not uncommon for them to be above 100F for an internal temperature. This is also why they're always snuggling in piles or basking in sun beams, what you consider comfortable they think is kind of cold. Not counting super long hair breeds, of course, they're more comfortable in the cold.

This also tends to make cats overheat, so if it's warm and you find your cat curled up in the sink, bathtub, or on a tile floor, they're cooling off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Someone's been feeding that chickadee. Adorable little bastards are completely fearless if there's food involved.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Where did I go just now?" :catstare:

Persian cats always seem to have that look.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sociopastry posted:

I'm really fuckin' sad. Please post the goofiest, derpiest animals you can find.

My doofus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She's probably just coping poorly with suddenly being in a new environment. Give her some space and time to settle in. Also go to the Butterscotch thread in Heavy Petting, Chili and a few other posters who foster animals can give you lots of good advice.

Agreed on both counts. Some cats adjust quickly to new environments and leaving behind everything and everyone they knew, some take a while. Give her time and don't go looking for or poking at her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Beachcomber posted:

No one has told this dog that catnip doesn't work on him.

That's dog "I wanna play! Play with me!" body language. Cat is just confused.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Even gorillas know that canada geese are loving assholes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It was pretty big, definitely couldn't have been too young. It was also was really calm and not bothered at all by me walking up to the window. There's a house down the road from me that runs an animal sanctuary for injured animals from their yard, I'm thinking it might have gotten used to humans there.

Some birds are just fascinated by windows. Cardinals, wrens, and titmice regularly land on my windowsill and knock on the glass a bit before flying off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kwyndig posted:

Depends on the cat, and honestly that's just domestic house cats because they are descended from desert dwelling cats. Cats from other regions (tigers, cougar, fishing cat, etc) don't have any particular issues with water and some (like tigers) even enjoy swimming.

Can confirm, one of the cats I had growing up loved water and loved to jump in with anyone taking a bath.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My friend's mom bought his cat a heated throw for Christmas a few years back. When winter hits, he does not leave that thing. For where we live, it's barely really "cold" that often, but you turn the heat on and he's basically a puddle in the middle of it.

Cats have higher internal body temperatures than humans. They're descended from a species of desert wildcat from North Africa.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From the funny pictures thread.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jagged Jim posted:

I'm the cat in the middle who just wants to get some sleep with all these noisy neighbors.

Kittens have two settings: rear end in a top hat and Off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well it's an Australian spider than can camouflage itself insanely well on tree branches, so the correct response is in fact to burn the entire forest down.

Which birds in Australia have learned to do. You see, some birds in Australia learned that when there's a forest fire, delicious critters run headlong out of the forest to escape the fire. And so to create more such buffet lines, some birds learned to grab sticks that are on fire at one end and drop them in areas that aren't currently on fire to drive out the prey.