Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BlackIronHeart posted:

The big floppy ears are to kick up the scent from the ground, the dewlap (that big flop of skin on their neck) traps the scent. Extra: Pure-bred basset hounds have a white tip on their tail so you can see where they are in high grass. :)

A truly appalling ratio of surface area to dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:five:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kecnbmvAXhc

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

cash crab posted:

Haaa, the thread title.

A classic set:

Friend magnets

BattleMaster inbound

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's like an adorable terracotta army.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

I promise I'll keep it open this time. ovo

Not again!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Croisquessein posted:

No pictures I'm afraid but a cute story. Yesterday afternoon I found a baby ground squirrel where I work in Scottsdale AZ, which is near a lot of open desert. Lots of squirrels running around but this one was way too far from where he was supposed to be. He was shivering and squeaking for his mom. His eyes weren't quite open yet, probably only a couple weeks old. I only had a few minutes left on my lunch break, so it was leave it to nature or take him back inside and wait until I could get him home. Unfortunately I didn't have the option of leaving early.

So I sat at my desk and finished the work day with the little guy in my lap, covered by my coat. I had messaged my manager about the situation and she said no way to keeping the squirrel inside, but when she came and saw him she pretty much fell in love with him, and later brought about seven people by my cubicle to see. He was the star of the office that day.

When I got him home we got some Pedialite to hydrate him and a heating pad to put him on, and the little guy started to perk up. Getting liquid into him was tough because he was so squirmy and wanted to climb everything, but he eventually started sucking it down and was able to sleep.

I kept giving him liquid every hour or so, and each time I brough him out he was doing a little better and getting bolder. I named him Squiggle.

Next morning he woke me up with a littany of high pitched chirps to let me know he was cold. I reheated his pad (one of those rice pad things for aches and pains) and put it in with him, and he went right back to sleep.

I didn't feed him during this time, because the info on what to feed squirrels was conflicting- milk, no milk, puppy replacement milk is fine, absolutely not, etc. They all agreed warmth and liquid was most important so I stuck with that.

As soon as I got up I called a lady in Queen Creek who does rehab of small mammals. I took Squiggle to her as soon as I could this morning, and she told me he was in fine shape and would do well with the other baby squirrels she had (she got seven new ones just over the weekend).

I had been worried about whether I did the right thing by taking him, as whenever you see a baby animal it's always possible mom is nearby and will come get him. But from what I described, with Squiggle so far from the normal area, wandering alone, the lady surmised that something had happened to the mom or the nest had beed disturbed, and even at two weeks the babies will crawl out looking for her if she doesn't come back.

So little guy had a hard day yesterday but he's now safe and sound and will grow up with his squirrel buddies. God speed, Squiggle.

You are truly a modern bob ross.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wind-up jack in the box cat

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's the entire thread condensed into one gif (the goat? is coming back to life through kitten magic)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I cannot believe how good this cat still looks after being dead for days

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Hey there's a new Bub video and she gets all the scritches :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NUD0bTlgNI

I just read about BUB. My heart has grown three sizes today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011