Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

whiteyfats posted:

Not a panda. :colbert:
It looks a like red one to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

It looks like what I imagine Harry Dresden's dog Mouse looks like from "The Dresden Files".
I always pictured a Tibetan mastiff.

All that's missing is some faint blue light around the little pup.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Are Ravens really that big?
Yep. White-necked raven have an average length of about 50cm. The common raven is even a bit bigger.
You might be thinking of crows, which are a bit smaller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEsApuPayhQ

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CJacobs posted:

"I want to eat this food, but it's soooo far away... If only my beak was like 2 feet longer, that'd own". Repeat for hundreds of generations of toucans.
edit: At least, that's what I assume as a person who knows nothing about birds, evolution, or toucans.
That's possibly not far of the mark really. The toucans' longer reach means they have exert less energy to gather food.
The beaks are also essentially big radiators. Toucans can use it to regulate their bodies' temperature by adjusting how much blood flows through it.

Raygereio has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Oct 26, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
You may want to use [timg] instead of [img] for big pictures like that.
That will display the image as an thumbnail that can enlarged to fit your screen. It looks fine on my screen, but I'd imagine those pictures will break tables for some people.

Also Meret is one fluffy cat. Good lord. That fur looks like I can dive into it and swim around.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Is it an actual thing with cats that their pupils expand when they're playing/homing in on prey, rather than reacting to light? When my cat gets those wide black eyes, I'm like "uh-oh."
They do that when the cat's scared , startled or nervous. But also when the cat's really excited about something, like catching some prey or playing with you.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_85Vvqes3o
E: Can someone actually identify this parrot species?
Golden Conure.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

Oh it is? I thought so initially, then I noticed it doesn't have orange around its eyes, and its beak isn't black.
Golden Conures have white/pink'ish rings around the eyes and their beaks aren't black.

Also I'm pretty sure the original upload of that video is "Topaz the Golden Conure dancing"..

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Foxhound posted:

Why do they do this? There's another picture floating around of this breed eating its own tail. Is it some sort of defensive mechanism?
I've seen claims that it's an instinct to protect their mouth & nose from cold environments. But they also seem to do it in warmer climates and I've heard zoologists claim they only do it in captivity.
It could be some behaviour their picked up as a cub and retained. Sort of similar to domestic cats and kneading. Or it could be that they were entertaining themselves by chasing their own tail like cats do. :shrug:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Who do dogs freak out at citrus fruit? Is it just too tangy to handle?
Pretty much. The dogs' noses are so much powerful that they smell how sour it is. And they generally don't like the sensation. Some dogs will freak out and bark at the fruit in the hope that the thing that produces the bad sensation will go away. Other dogs will have less viral-material reactions. For example my dog will just will make "This disgusts me"-noise and move calmly out of the room.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bored posted:

That prolonged eye dilation makes me sad.
Not to dog-pile on you, but you need to look at the entire body language of an animal. Isolating one particular thing doesn't tell you much. Dilated eyes like that in a cat can indeed come from stress or fear. But it can also come for excitement from play or because they are happy with something (whenever my cat gets a treat, the pupils go wide). And off course when a cat sees something it's interested in and wants to focus it, you can see the pupils dilate like that.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Crosspost from GBS blessed thread, can someone identify this creature.

A really big rat? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE-uiv6loXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Given how long it takes for animals with disabilities to be adopted I'm not sure I believe this.
Look up "Twisty Cat", or squittens / kangaroo cats. A Texan breeder tried to selective breed cats with radial hypoplasia in the late 90s and basically market cats with vestigial forelimbs as "cute".