Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
5. Inside Job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I think you mean Driv-Three-Er :colbert:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I cannot imagine how ten year old me played Driver 1 and 2 with a d-pad.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Beastie posted:

I cannot imagine how ten year old me played Driver 1 and 2 with a d-pad.

I kind of wonder if the tutorial would be so much easier now using the left stick instead of the d-pad. Did Driver 1 even support the original Dualshock controller?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I kind of wonder if the tutorial would be so much easier now using the left stick instead of the d-pad. Did Driver 1 even support the original Dualshock controller?

It did, yes.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
Was the elevated train track always there or does it appear only for that last Miami mission?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

X_countryguy posted:

Was the elevated train track always there or does it appear only for that last Miami mission?

It was always there, the train just never ran across it.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I'm diggin the lp mann, but not trying to cramp yo style or nothing when you pump the gas in your vids why ain't you layin down some funky rear end grooves?

Seriously loving the game I enjoy the 70's stuff.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

LordGugs posted:

I'm diggin the lp mann, but not trying to cramp yo style or nothing when you pump the gas in your vids why ain't you layin down some funky rear end grooves?

Seriously loving the game I enjoy the 70's stuff.

It's just a dumb reference to Initial D because I'm a nerd.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

So uh, my game capture is busted, but I should have a replacement in fairly soon. It busted while I was planning to record Driver, so that sucks and I don't have any more videos ready, but it shouldn't take long.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Game Capture has finally arrived, attempts to record the levels I have the hardest time with will resume.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Eagerly awaiting the next update.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

6. The Silent Partner

What a lovely-looking mall.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

7. Scared Straight

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
It's amazing how awful looking these pre-rendered scenes are. A lot of them just freeze at an angle that the viewer can't look at the mouths to avoid needing to animate speech movement.

It is such a jump to Driver 2's cut scenes...

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

X_countryguy posted:

It's amazing how awful looking these pre-rendered scenes are. A lot of them just freeze at an angle that the viewer can't look at the mouths to avoid needing to animate speech movement.

It is such a jump to Driver 2's cut scenes...

I do like that each guy you work for has a distinct personality, still. I think that spices up the really boring cutscenes. There's one guy that only identifies himself with "It's me" throughout the entire game, for example. And Slater's boss calls us "cowboy" all the time.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Loved this game as a kid. The free roam in SF ended in cops flying 20 feet up in the air was fantastic. The tutorial was tough but it only took a few goes to figure out how to do each one then figure out the best order to do it in. The salem, reverse 180 where the only slightly difficult things considering you were just put into the game

However the other thing I recall is the last mission of this game is bonkers hard. I had to use a cheat code because I could never do it without one!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ally_1986 posted:

Loved this game as a kid. The free roam in SF ended in cops flying 20 feet up in the air was fantastic. The tutorial was tough but it only took a few goes to figure out how to do each one then figure out the best order to do it in. The salem, reverse 180 where the only slightly difficult things considering you were just put into the game

However the other thing I recall is the last mission of this game is bonkers hard. I had to use a cheat code because I could never do it without one!

Yeah, everything in the final mission is stacked against you and I don't remember being able to beat it legitimately myself.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

If Martin Edmondson of Reflections is to be believed, the developers weren't able to beat it either. Or at least they didn't playtest it to see if a normal human being would be able to complete the mission. There was an interview with Edmondson a few years back where he admitted as much.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

If Martin Edmondson of Reflections is to be believed, the developers weren't able to beat it either. Or at least they didn't playtest it to see if a normal human being would be able to complete the mission. There was an interview with Edmondson a few years back where he admitted as much.

Pft, normies.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

8. Heli

A short mission (and video) this time, but the next ones are a bit more important.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm glad this LP is back - I will forever have the noise police sirens make as their cars crash etched into my memory thanks to trying to beat this as a teen.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm glad this LP is back - I will forever have the noise police sirens make as their cars crash etched into my memory thanks to trying to beat this as a teen.

It was never dead, don't worry. And I have footage of the next four missions ready for commentary.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I never paid much attention to the music for this game when I was younger but I'm kind of really digging the 70s funk inspired soundtrack and in retrospect, it makes sense considering later games with Tanner as the protagonist present themselves as a buddy cop shop from that era.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I never paid much attention to the music for this game when I was younger but I'm kind of really digging the 70s funk inspired soundtrack and in retrospect, it makes sense considering later games with Tanner as the protagonist present themselves as a buddy cop shop from that era.

I didn't notice it was 70s inspired, but I haven't heard much 70s music. That's pretty cool.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the whole thing is an homage to 70s movies like The Getaway, Starsky and Hutch, Bullit - reflections stated at the time that the handling of the cars was to get the feeling of those big, boat-like american cars from those movies and shows. music as well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

JFairfax posted:

the whole thing is an homage to 70s movies like The Getaway, Starsky and Hutch, Bullit - reflections stated at the time that the handling of the cars was to get the feeling of those big, boat-like american cars from those movies and shows. music as well.

The more you know.

hoonigan_neil
Feb 25, 2014

Just found and caught up with this LP. Love the format so far!

My neighbor had this game back when we were in elementary school. It took us ages to get past that garage level, two months at least. After that, the bank job took another two, and so on and so forth. Bashing the cafes was impossible... the boat mission - impossible... but we kept trying until - San Francisco! Holy crap a whole new map! At that point, we hung up the missions for a while, and just goofed off jumping off knob hill for days on end. Eventually we ended up beating it, but the rest of the game would take ages.

This game first introduced me to the concept of drifting, before I had even heard of Initial D (loved the eurobeat in the montages!). I definitely credit the hours of mastering powerslides and handbrake turns with putting the vehicular hooliganism bug into me early.

By the way, I don't think it was mentioned, but Driver was very much influenced by, among other sources, the pulp vehicular classic 'The Driver'. In this clip alone, notice the garage from the training mission (which can also be found near the Transamerica building in the San Francisco map) along with cheesy acting, a number of borrowed sound effects, and gratuitous flying hubcabs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt7crOA00hE

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ScandiHoonigan posted:

Just found and caught up with this LP. Love the format so far!

My neighbor had this game back when we were in elementary school. It took us ages to get past that garage level, two months at least. After that, the bank job took another two, and so on and so forth. Bashing the cafes was impossible... the boat mission - impossible... but we kept trying until - San Francisco! Holy crap a whole new map! At that point, we hung up the missions for a while, and just goofed off jumping off knob hill for days on end. Eventually we ended up beating it, but the rest of the game would take ages.

This game first introduced me to the concept of drifting, before I had even heard of Initial D (loved the eurobeat in the montages!). I definitely credit the hours of mastering powerslides and handbrake turns with putting the vehicular hooliganism bug into me early.

By the way, I don't think it was mentioned, but Driver was very much influenced by, among other sources, the pulp vehicular classic 'The Driver'. In this clip alone, notice the garage from the training mission (which can also be found near the Transamerica building in the San Francisco map) along with cheesy acting, a number of borrowed sound effects, and gratuitous flying hubcabs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt7crOA00hE

I'm really glad I can help people relive something they loved so much. I'm genuinely impressed you beat the game as a kid.

hoonigan_neil
Feb 25, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I'm really glad I can help people relive something they loved so much. I'm genuinely impressed you beat the game as a kid.

It was a lot of throwing everything at the wall and seeing what stuck. I chuckled at the bit where you mentioned it was best not to trigger physics in San Francisco. For the neighbor and I, it was balls out, every hill. Sometimes you perform a heroic leap over traffic, stick the landing, lose the cops, then just flip onto your roof anyway. I distinctly remember the positioning of that street car as a metric of success too (as well as plowing into it numerous times due to object fixation).

As you alluded though, nothing compares to the fun of the final mission. IIRC the only reason we beat that was because the game glitched out and decided to let us win.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ScandiHoonigan posted:

IIRC the only reason we beat that was because the game glitched out and decided to let us win.

I love when I lose at a game so many times that it breaks.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

9. Ransom

We did done saved the dude

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

10. The Perfect Set-Up

We've now finished up San Fran.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I've got two things for you today!

Here is a new part of Driver!
11. Cop Car

And if you click on the handsome man below, you will see a short video on Courier Crisis, another driving game I intended to let's play alongside Driver, but was unable to for various reasons.

Yes, I am aware Crazy Taxi came out after Courier Crisis.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I remember there being no daytime missions in the LA portion of the game and that most of the roads are pretty straight with not too many twists and turns.

Also that Courier Crisis video is giving me slight motion sickness, the choppy framerate and the low draw distance probably has something to do with it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Simpson's game you were thinking of was Hit 'n' Run.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I remember there being no daytime missions in the LA portion of the game and that most of the roads are pretty straight with not too many twists and turns.

Also that Courier Crisis video is giving me slight motion sickness, the choppy framerate and the low draw distance probably has something to do with it.

I think the frame-rate may be the result of the game's graphics, unfortunately. I apologize for the unpleasantness!

BioEnchanted posted:

The Simpson's game you were thinking of was Hit 'n' Run.

I thought Hit 'n Run was the open world one?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The Simpsons: Road Rage is the Crazy Taxi clone, Hit 'n' Run is the open world game. I always get those two mixed up.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

The Simpsons: Road Rage is the Crazy Taxi clone, Hit 'n' Run is the open world game. I always get those two mixed up.

I had at one point almost started LPing Road Rage, until I realized the ridiculous amount of grinding required to unlock the game's ending. I'm not sure many people even knew it had one.

Other than that it's pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I'm startled how close we are to the end of the game already.

• Locked thread