Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I'm startled how close we are to the end of the game already.

Tell me about it, I remember Miami and San Francisco being a lot longer than it really is. I also thought the upcoming mission happened a little later on in LA too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
12. Hit Man

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Did you ever play Driver: San Francisco? Never beat it myself because I sucked at cornering, but it was a clever game, with some really fun mechanics, a great mid-game twist, and hilarious writing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

13. Beverly Hills Cop

BioEnchanted posted:

Did you ever play Driver: San Francisco? Never beat it myself because I sucked at cornering, but it was a clever game, with some really fun mechanics, a great mid-game twist, and hilarious writing.

Never played through it entirely.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Well, just gotta record the footage of the last two missions. Hopefully won't take too many days.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

One more extra before I upload the last few missions.

Now, recent LEGO games have contained driving mechanics and even driving missions! So I thought I'd show off my favorite mission to compare it with Driver.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and so we reach the final update.

14. True Romance
15. The Driver

Oh, and the cheat codes, of course:

Cheat Codes

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I like how the President compliments your driving skills when you've been flipped up in the air, or how calm he seems when you've got every cop, federal agent and gangster hitman on your tail the entire time.

Good to know that the mission is legitimately that hard though and it's not just me being bad at games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I like how the President compliments your driving skills when you've been flipped up in the air, or how calm he seems when you've got every cop, federal agent and gangster hitman on your tail the entire time.

Good to know that the mission is legitimately that hard though and it's not just me being bad at games.

You spend most of the mission getting your poo poo kicked in, so I'm not sure if his compliments are sarcastic.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am sure a bad enough dude doesn't care either way. That mission was bullshit and the game wasn't made to handle it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am sure a bad enough dude doesn't care either way. That mission was bullshit and the game wasn't made to handle it.

Well, it's physically possible.

Driver 2 and Driv3r's missions are a lot more carefully designed, in addition to being more creative.

Parallel Lines is decent but it's a ton easier.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yep - over 15 years later that last mission is exactly as I remember it. A friend and I had been taking turns trying to beat it for hours before we finally got lucky and had the car rammed sideways into that alcove of bullshit at the end. After that we watched the credits and never touched this game again.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yep - over 15 years later that last mission is exactly as I remember it. A friend and I had been taking turns trying to beat it for hours before we finally got lucky and had the car rammed sideways into that alcove of bullshit at the end. After that we watched the credits and never touched this game again.

After you play driving games enough you just learn to take it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

And so Tanner quits the police force, goes on a vigilante rampage against the New York City mafia as depicted in Driver Renegade 3D and then eventually gets recruited by the FBI for Driver 2.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I think Driver 2 through San Fran are probably a different take on Tanner entirely. Like, in Driver 2 through San Fran, it's thematically relevant that Tanner is a ruthless psychopath. In the original Driver it's just incidental.

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

So are you going to do Driver 2? I would absolutely love to see it again, but I don't really have the strength to replay it myself. I remember it to be generally a lot more painful than the first one, final mission aside.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I think Driver 2 through San Fran are probably a different take on Tanner entirely. Like, in Driver 2 through San Fran, it's thematically relevant that Tanner is a ruthless psychopath. In the original Driver it's just incidental.

There are actually two different versions of Driver San Francisco. The Wii version actually serves as a prequel to Driver 1 but its plot has more to do with Driver 2 more than anything. Chronologically, the series goes San Fran (Wii) - Driver - Driver Renegade 3D - Driver 2 - Driv3r - San Fran (360, PS3, PC, OSX).

Driver 76 on PSP is a prequel to Parallel Lines but I've no idea if those two games are even set in the same universe as the games starring Tanner.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Caught up with this and just gotta say it was a huge wave of nostalgia rolling through my brain

I never beat the game as a kid, or even played the story mode much, but I played the poo poo out of free roam - I do remember curiously rooting around in the game's files and finding out I could open the cutscenes in Media Player, though, and of course I skipped right to the end... so hearing YOU CAN GET YOUR BADGE BACK TANNER brought an entire wave of memories back

also nice driving, son

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
I just could not finish that last mission without cheating at all...

But on another matter, does the Playstation version not contain the ability to take the Jaguar on a ride around Newcastle? I seem to recall this was somehow unlockable in the PC version (which is the only one I played).

Also, are you planning on doing the other games in the series, I would be very much interested in seeing Driver 2 and 3 (sorry, Drv3r I mean) since I never played those (actually the only ones I've played are the first game and San Francisco which was pretty decent actually).

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There are actually two different versions of Driver San Francisco. The Wii version actually serves as a prequel to Driver 1 but its plot has more to do with Driver 2 more than anything. Chronologically, the series goes San Fran (Wii) - Driver - Driver Renegade 3D - Driver 2 - Driv3r - San Fran (360, PS3, PC, OSX).

Driver 76 on PSP is a prequel to Parallel Lines but I've no idea if those two games are even set in the same universe as the games starring Tanner.

Jesus I didn't know they were connected. Shame I can't record the hilariousness that is Renegade.

Driver 76 was a prequel to Parallel Lines chronologically, but... it was basically just a copypaste of Parallel Lines for the PSP.

M.Ciaster posted:

Caught up with this and just gotta say it was a huge wave of nostalgia rolling through my brain

I never beat the game as a kid, or even played the story mode much, but I played the poo poo out of free roam - I do remember curiously rooting around in the game's files and finding out I could open the cutscenes in Media Player, though, and of course I skipped right to the end... so hearing YOU CAN GET YOUR BADGE BACK TANNER brought an entire wave of memories back

also nice driving, son

I'm glad I could bring back some of your memories, good or otherwise.

ivantod posted:

I just could not finish that last mission without cheating at all...

But on another matter, does the Playstation version not contain the ability to take the Jaguar on a ride around Newcastle? I seem to recall this was somehow unlockable in the PC version (which is the only one I played).

Also, are you planning on doing the other games in the series, I would be very much interested in seeing Driver 2 and 3 (sorry, Drv3r I mean) since I never played those (actually the only ones I've played are the first game and San Francisco which was pretty decent actually).

That's correct, you could only drive around Newcastle in the PC version.

I am planning to play Driver 2, Driv3r, and Parallel Lines at some point in the future, but I'm most excited for Driv3r. In spite of its incredibly vicious reception, it's got my second favorite story and my second favorite missions of the whole series.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a mission in GTA3 where you have to kill a driver named Tanner? Where would that figure in the timeline if that was canon?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Is the music in the first mission of video 14 a scaled down version of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5r4eUgPgOM

Who was anyone and just what happened in the story? What was the point of Miami and San Fran and such?

Croccers fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 3, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Croccers posted:

Is the music in the first mission of video 14 a scaled down version of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5r4eUgPgOM

Who was anyone and just what happened in the story? What was the point of Miami and San Fran and such?

Basically the story was just a succession of Tanner working his way higher and higher up in the food chain until he found a conspiracy inside of the FBI itself. Then he saved the president.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The whole thing about Tanner being an undercover cop was apparently a really late addition to the game and originally he was supposed to be an actual criminal, so I'm not too surprised that the storyline is a bit hard to follow. The change was seemingly made so late that some reviews that used pre-release builds never mentioned Tanner being a cop. Or even his name or anything else about the story, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

The whole thing about Tanner being an undercover cop was apparently a really late addition to the game and originally he was supposed to be an actual criminal, so I'm not too surprised that the storyline is a bit hard to follow. The change was seemingly made so late that some reviews that used pre-release builds never mentioned Tanner being a cop. Or even his name or anything else about the story, for that matter.

I'm glad Driver 2 and 3 had gooder stories.

• Locked thread