Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
And by ability I mean "attribute" sorry, my D&D 3.5 is leaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Tirade posted:

Just working through your sheet now. Attribute and skill distributions are all fine, but somehow all three of the merits you picked have prereqs so you'll need to slightly adjust the attribute / skill distro. Two are easy enough to fix:
  • Eye for the Strange needs two dots in the resolve attribute. FYI the merit means that Staph can roll to see if something he's studying comes from either a supernatural or natural origin. If it's a successful roll I'll give you a piece of found information that confirms the answer.
  • Sleight of Hand needs three dots in larceny skill. It means that Staph's pickpocketing or lockpicking attempts will go unnoticed unless someone is trying specifically to catch him.
Inspiring is a bit more tricky. It isn't really a great fit for the way you've rolled up Stapha - it gives you the ability to give a Braveheart-style "rally the troops" speech, which doesn't seem like Stapha's thing. More practically, it's got a prereq of Presence 3 it uses the Presence attribute and the Expression skill to do so, and Staph kinda sucks at both of those.

There's a better fit for Stapha which I didn't include in the merit list but am happy for you to use: Fast-Talking. It's a Social "Style" (1 to 5 dots), so there's five levels to the skill and you need to spend 1 merit dot to buy the first, then 2 more to buy the second, etc. So with the three points you spent on Inspiring you could buy the first two levels of Fast-Talking:
  • First dot is "Always Be Closing", which makes a mark suffer a slight penalty when you're trying to manipulate them.
  • Second dot is "Jargon", which gives you a bonus die to your rolls if you can somehow weave your specialties (in your case fake psychic bullshit) into the topic of conversation when using a social skill. Further investment in Fast Talking can let you reroll a failed subterfuge roll, or more quickly win over long-term targets of persuasion / manipulation.

If that works for you then change it over, otherwise you'll need to bump your Presence up to 3 to keep Inspiring or else find some other merits.

made your suggested changes, i just picked inspiring since i needed something to fill it out but that sounds much better

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/44599

added an extra point in resolve...let me know if I've misinterpreted that and/or it could be better placed

I think that brings shazza's will up to six!

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
so here's my draft character concept:

James Bailey - Jack to his friends, and Jack to people who weren't his friends as well - came from a Catholic family in a part of Townsville where everyone of his generation had ended up going into military service, including all three of his older brothers, so the only logical thing for him to do was to become a chaplain in the Australian Army. Unfortunately, it turned out that Jack had a rare lung condition which the army doctors said made him unsuitable to even be a clerk, let alone an artillery padre as was his ambition. After a second attempt at joining a year later in case the diagnosis was an unlucky fluke and a third for good luck, Jack gave up on the military part of his plan and decided to dedicate his life to the other half of his upbringing, entering the seminary full-time. He couldn't bear to show his face around his home town where so many boys now younger than him were entering the army, so requested that the church send him to a remote community on the other side of the country. A parish near Kalgoorlie, grateful for a priest under retirement age, took him on, and he spent the next twenty-four years there as work in the area dried up and fewer and fewer people came to mass of a Sunday. Eventually, the diocese was offered good money for the land Father Bailey's church was on - something about iron ore? he'd stopped caring much at this point - and the parish was wound up, the handful of locals who cared enough now commuting to Kalgoorlie proper for their mass. Left without a church to preach in, Jack prepared to head home to north Queensland for the first time since he was a kid.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Mithranderp posted:

added an extra point in resolve...let me know if I've misinterpreted that and/or it could be better placed

I think that brings shazza's will up to six!

Sorry Mith, that extra dot was part of the budget for merits only and needs to be spent on them.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

That's all good, I figured I was probably reading it wrong :v: but I added a dot in Fleet of Foot

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism
been busy but characyer sheet comign tomprriw

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Frank Gilroy. The man, the myth, the character sheet. http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/44611?message=true

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Mithranderp posted:

That's all good, I figured I was probably reading it wrong :v: but I added a dot in Fleet of Foot

scrap fleet of foot, I put a dot into resources

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Ok still waiting on character sheets from Seek Other Candidate, Tommunist and FS.

Gaspy, erm, happy for you to join in but if you want to play linguistic games then roll up a Greek immigrant or something, the Venom Soag thing will get old pretty quickly.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Tirade posted:

Ok still waiting on character sheets from Seek Other Candidate, Tommunist and FS.

Gaspy, erm, happy for you to join in but if you want to play linguistic games then roll up a Greek immigrant or something, the Venom Soag thing will get old pretty quickly.

Havn't been around long enough to write one, will have one finished within 24 hours.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
James 'Jimmy' Smith

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/44657

James was a fairly bright lad from Brisbane until his birthday was drawn up in the draft. He decided that if he had to go, he would go as a medic.

He hated basic training as he had neither the strength or the stamina to excel. He was an OK shot though which he took some pride in. He did enjoy the six months he spent becoming a trained medic. It seemed a natural fit for him.

Eventually he was shipped out to Nam. The first half of his tour was uneventful. However, being at Long Tan during the attack more than made up for the quiet months. He distinguished himself there and was mentioned in dispatches for "conspicuous bravery".

Near the end of the tour, James started using morphine to help relax and sleep. He was always smart enough to account for the missing vials so no questions were ever asked.

When he got back to Australia, he had a hard time adjusting to city life. He retrained as a nurse, but found that the only jobs for male nurses were in the psych wards. After a couple of years working in one, he was sure the Drs and other nurses were picking up on his drug habit.

He started feeling like the collapse of civilization as we knew it was only a matter of time. Be it from an invasion by Indonesia, plauge or A-bomb. He started researching what it would take to live independently away from society. In the end he bought a large block of undeveloped land a couple of hours from Brisbane and has spent the last decade building his doomsday shelter with his own hands. He is now out the point where he can live independently off his land - shooting kangaroos, growing vegetables and making his own morphine from poppies he grows in his small lab.

He is in Brisbane for the bi-yearly catch up with other medics he served with. One of them, John, is going to a seminar the next night on how to make extra cash. James is sceptical, but could do with more money to buy a proper air scrubber for his bomb shelter.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Nice one. Sheet looks good at first glance, I'll check it properly tonight.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Tirade posted:

Ok still waiting on character sheets from Seek Other Candidate

This all look in order? http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/44666

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Tom, you have a character sheet coming? I'll do a check of everyone else's sheet tonight and will kick it off tomorrow.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Tirade posted:

Tom, you have a character sheet coming? I'll do a check of everyone else's sheet tonight and will kick it off tomorrow.

Don't worry about me, i'll spec it, suddenly become super busy :(

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Tommunist posted:

Don't worry about me, i'll spec it, suddenly become super busy :(

If you want we can kick off the campaign and have your character be on the sidelines while you sort it out, the first bit will mostly be scene setting and explaining how World of Darkness stuff works anyhow. Up to you mate.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Tirade posted:

If you want we can kick off the campaign and have your character be on the sidelines while you sort it out, the first bit will mostly be scene setting and explaining how World of Darkness stuff works anyhow. Up to you mate.

that works if you want to do that.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Sorry about the delay all, work's been a bit crazy. Checking the remaining character sheets now and will have the thread up tonight.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yo imma have to bail, my next few months is looking real busy

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

yo imma have to bail, my next few months is looking real busy

No worries. I'm planning to keep the game fairly open to a "drop in, drop out" style of play so people can sign up for each mission, so keep tabs on the game and hopefully you can join in later on.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Tirade posted:

No worries. I'm planning to keep the game fairly open to a "drop in, drop out" style of play so people can sign up for each mission, so keep tabs on the game and hopefully you can join in later on.

cool, will do.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Oh, I meant to mention a couple of things for those who haven't played before.

Experience Points

Experience points will be awarded at the end of most chapters (i.e. missions). Everyone will get the same amount of experience because that's much easier than tracking individual advancement. Costs for upgrading your character as follows:

Merit: 1 Experience per dot
Skill Specialty: 1 Experience
Skill: 2 Experiences per dot
Attribute: 4 Experiences per dot
Integrity: 3 Experiences per dot
Willpower: 1 Experience per dot

You'll have the chance to respec your character after the first proper chapter if you find that you're not enjoying the way they're playing.

Practical Experience

Hunter has a weird mechanic for experience in that there's two types of xp awarded: regular experience for characters, but also "Practical Experience" that's shared among the group. Practical experience reflects the fact that the key of Hunter is working together to defeat monsters that would likely beat the poo poo out of you in an individual fight. Practical Experience can be spent either by divvying it up between characters for extra xp to spend on individual advancement (except attributes), learning group tactics (see below), regaining willpower (also see below) or spending it on communal equipment or safe houses. While individual experience points are doled out at the end of a chapter, Practical Experience accumulates at the end of every scene where the group encounters a supernatural enemy, and so you can improve skills mid-way through a chapter to adapt to the threats you face. There's a massive grognard formula for calculating PE. I'll transcribe if you nerds really want, but basically it's 1 per hunter involved in the scene, then a bunch of bonuses / penalties if you use group tactics, kill or capture the creature, save innocents, etc. Of note, the group gets bonus PE if a monster displays a supernatural power and it's the first time that at least half of the group has witnessed it. We'll keep track of what the group knows in the OOC thread.

Rolls

All dice rolls in nWoD are using d10s. The number of d10s you roll is calculated by adding the number of dots in the relevant attribute with the number of dots in the relevant skill, and then bonus or penalty dice based on difficulty of the task, equipment on hand, etc. So for example, jumping across a rooftop is Strength + Athletics. Investigating a crime scene is Wits + Investigation + a bonus die if you have a novelty magnifying glass.

Having no dots in the relevant skill counts as -1 (ignore the -3 for mental skills in the char sheet, that's been superseded in the rules we're using). For each die, 8-10 counts as a success. And if you roll a 10, you get to roll an additional die (known as "10-again").

For most rolls, one success is all you need, however if you get five or more successes you get an "exceptional success", which will give you a bonus of some kind depending on what you were trying to do.

Failure is fairly self-explanatory. There's one special case though: if your total dice pool is at zero (or less), you get a single "chance" die. Roll a 10, you succeed. Roll anything else, you fail. Roll a 1, you get a "dramatic failure", which significantly sets you and/or the team back. However, dramatic failures gives the opportunity to learn from mistakes, so there will be additional xp given out at the end of each mission for each dramatic failure. As part of this mechanic, there's also the option to (once per scene) turn a regular failure into a dramatic failure. This can be a bit tricky with play-by-post so I'll do what I can to accommodate it but it won't be available on every roll. But as well as being a great learning opportunity, failure often leads to hilarity so I'll do what I can.

Willpower

Willpower is basically trying really loving hard to do something. You can spend a point of willpower and get three bonus dice added to the dice pool for an action. Just say you're using a point of willpower when declaring your action in the game thread.

You regain 1 point of willpower after a proper night's sleep. You also get a point of willpower for indulging in your vice or virtue to a level where it at least temporarily sets back the group (e.g. an alcoholic getting smashed before trying to do something important, a generous person giving away money or equipment that would have been useful to the group). You can also spend a point of Practical Experience to regain willpower: for 1 PE you can roll Resolve + Composure and gain the number of successes back as willpower up to your maximum, with 1 point regained even if the roll is a failure.

Conditions

Conditions will show up as a way of modifying your character based on experiences. Conditions include things like "shaken", "lost", "inspired", "spooked", "steadfast", and will give you bonuses or penalties depending on the nature of the condition. The conditions can get resolved by performing specific actions, but rather than transcribe the whole lot I'll just describe them here in the OOC thread as we come across them.

Morality / Integrity

The character sheet uses "Morality", the rules we're going to use have replaced that with "Integrity", which better reflects how characters cope with traumatic and supernatural events. Basically, a character will lose Integrity when they experience a breaking point - something has happened that outstrips their ability to rationalize or handle it. So maybe they perform an action that goes against their own moral code, or they see something deeply traumatic, or unexplainable. When a character experiences a breaking point, they'll usually pick up a negative condition. When a breaking point occurs, players also roll Resolve + Composure. A failure will result in a loss of Integrity. As characters lose integrity their ability to deal with breaking points becomes more and more difficult.

Tactics

Tactics are essentially group merits. I'll introduce them as we go since there's already too many mechanics to get across. They have prerequisites but can be really powerful if used correctly.

The "No Millses" rule

WoD is heaps of fun because it's really open. You can do pretty much anything you can think of doing within the realms of reason and odds are there's a way to roll for it. Got wind that a cult is building a retirement village in the shape of a demonic sigil that will harvest the energy of the dead? Kill the cult leader, break into the architect's office and realign the village layout, convince the local council to rezone the suburb to light industrial, start a NIMBY movement against the village, go public with the scheme in a local newspaper, etc. The more creative the better. The only thing I'd ask you to do is to loosely stick together, at least at the start. Also, you'll very early on meet the group that will be giving you missions, please do me a favour and don't decide your character would rather gently caress off to Sydney. Also don't use persuasion / manipulation powers on each other, it will just ruin everyone's fun.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 18, 2016

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
SKY COQ your sheet looks good, only issue is that Police Tactics is a "style" so you need to spend three merit points to acquire both the 1-dot and 2-dot version of it. Drop the Quick Draw merit then you're good to go.

Also I'll either pm or copy / paste the descriptors of relevant merits so that you folks know how to use the skills you've bought.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 18, 2016

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Game thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772712

I'll probably need to correct a couple of other character sheets but that can happen as we work through the intro.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Tirade posted:

The "No Millses" rule

"it says 'No Millses', we're allowed to have one"

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/44737?message=true heres my sheet for what its worth

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Thanks Tom. I'll have a look at it on the weekend.

Out of interest how many of you haven't played WoD before?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Jimmy

Is still half cut from the beers that went with lunch. He doesn't usually drink much, but John loves the turps and needed company.

When break was called, John stumbled up to the snack table and started making them a couple of cups of black coffee. Jimmy chewed on a couple of strips of homemade roo jerky. He was a little worried by the large cop sitting over on his left. In his bag he had a syringe with "insulin" written on the side, but it actually contained a high does of morphine.

While waiting for John to get back, Jimmy looks at the other desperates that have attended the seminar out of bored curiosity.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Tirade posted:

Thanks Tom. I'll have a look at it on the weekend.

Out of interest how many of you haven't played WoD before?

Never for me (although I followed along with Xylo's excellent werewolf game pretty closely, and I played the gently caress out of the VtM: Bloodlines video game back in the day)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Freudian Slip posted:

Jimmy

Is still half cut from the beers that went with lunch. He doesn't usually drink much, but John loves the turps and needed company.

When break was called, John stumbled up to the snack table and started making them a couple of cups of black coffee. Jimmy chewed on a couple of strips of homemade roo jerky. He was a little worried by the large cop sitting over on his left. In his bag he had a syringe with "insulin" written on the side, but it actually contained a high does of morphine.

While waiting for John to get back, Jimmy looks at the other desperates that have attended the seminar out of bored curiosity.

m8 you must be half cut to have posted that in here

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Mithranderp posted:

m8 you must be half cut to have posted that in here

Woops! Phone posting from Ecuador.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Never for me (although I followed along with Xylo's excellent werewolf game pretty closely, and I played the gently caress out of the VtM: Bloodlines video game back in the day)

Cool. I'm mostly just trying to gauge how much of the mechanics I should be showing / explaining. So for example in the most recent response to Seagull there was a failed roll, which normally I wouldn't bother letting you guys know had happened.

Sorry for the delay in updating, will catch up now. Had a poo poo week at work and also realised I stuffed something up in the game prep so needed to rejig a few things. Should be good to go now.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Freudian Slip posted:

Woops! Phone posting from Ecuador.

:stare:

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

SKY COQ posted:

Frank Gilroy. The man, the myth, the character sheet. http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/44611?message=true

Oh there's one or two things we need to tweak in the char sheet Coq but otherwise it's good.

Edit: Starting morality should be set at 7, and the police tactics merit is a "style" so it costs three points to get two dots in it. I'd suggest keeping it though, and just dropping the quick draw merit for now.

Also the specialties for brawl, investigation and firearms needs to be tailored to more specific subgroups - so e.g. firearms (shotgun). Specialty recommendations from the core book for your picks are:
Firearms: pistols, shotguns, rifles, sniping.
Brawl: Blocking, boxing, grappling, martial arts, throws, dirty tricks.
Investigation: body language, crime scenes, autopsy results, cryptography, puzzles.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 25, 2016

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Ok looks pretty good. A couple of errors / points of clarification:

Starting morality should be 7, and your willpower should be 4.

Having three dots of fame is getting towards "worldwide celebrity" levels of notoriety, which is fine if that's how you want to play it but might be a bit more than what you were thinking.

For your Contacts, pick a group - political party, local electorate, police force, organised crime, pretty much anything you think fits Clem. You can call upon them to try and get information that might be of use to you - face to face meeting, telephone call, etc. It's a drat useful skill, just remember that they might call upon you for favours as well.

Status works in a similar manner. Status is more about working closely with a group or organisation, and having pull over it as a result. Whatever you pick for this one you'll need to maintain some links to as we go, but as a result you can actively use your standing to your advantage rather than just asking them for information. So if you've got status with the National Party and are working against a pub owner in an electorate held by the Nats, you might be able to cause all kinds of bureaucratic pain by calling in a favour.

Finally, write in three specialties in the bottom section of your character sheet. Here's some suggestions: http://www.mekhet.com/specialties.html

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Oh and I'll PM people in a sec with the details of the merits they've picked and how they get used. Think of them as crap special powers - they're not supernatural but will often give you an edge so you should use them when you can.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Yeah, I have pretty bad luck when it comes to traveling. Natural disasters seem to follow me. I was on the beach in Thailand for the tsunami 😑

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Tommunist, are you around? Everyone else has posted in the game thread. Don't feel like you need to write paragraphs, but would be good to have something from you to get us started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Tirade posted:

Tommunist, are you around? Everyone else has posted in the game thread. Don't feel like you need to write paragraphs, but would be good to have something from you to get us started.

oh, i thought you were going to put me in later because i hadn't done my sheet in time.

• Locked thread