Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
I went to an auction and bough a box full of stuff I wanted to have, hidden down under one of the bottom flaps were these cards.

http://imgur.com/0ah20pE

What I know:
They're from the early 1900's (1900-1930)
They're lithographs of various works of art.
They seem to be in a series.
The French text states where they were located, who painted them and the title of the piece.

My first thought, based on the reason I bought the box, is that they may have been tobacco cards, but those were generally more risque. They're slightly larger than a contemporary playing card so the size is right, but they don't match any that I've been able to find.
I also thought they could be made for some sort of viewer, maybe as a salesman sampler for art lithographs?

Any information on the cards, or even the logo in the upper left corner would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I have no idea about those specifically, but not all tobacco cards were risque. I've seen sets that were things like "scenes from China."

All sorts of products did that card thing, incidentally.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah for sure, the reason I first thought tobacco cards was because I bought a box of pipes to clean up and smoke and it came with a bunch of other tobacco related poo poo like pipe tools, tobacco pouches etc. I looked into tobacco cards specifically before I ruled them out, while not all of them are risque none matched these.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Is it french Canadian? It's interesting to me that the cards are in French but include a piece from the Louvre.

Filmiotic
Jan 5, 2008

A man of two kinds of shootin'
That shape is interesting. I'd imagine the corners aren't purely decorative, but serve some purpose in relation to the container.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Those are cool as poo poo, hope you figure out what they are, I can't find anything about the logo or the design of the card on the google. You can always try Antique Roadshow

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, I've been looking for a while now and I can't find a damned thing about them. I thought they were really cool which is why I decided to try to figure out what they are instead of just tossing them in a box in my closet.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If you can figure out what that triangle thing with the 3p around it is in the top left, you've probably got your answer.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FWIW I recreated that logo in Paint and reverse google image searched it and came up empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

They kind of look like stereoscope cards

• Locked thread