Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
maybe you'll get lucky with

the hardest thing i ever had to do was go through AA, what would you say is the biggest challenge you've ever overcome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

angry_keebler posted:

about 5 minutes into the interview say excuse me i hate to do this and then 30 seconds later come back and say oh i'm so sorry but i just got a call from my wife who is due any day now and i had to make sure t wasn't an emergency

and then if they say oh that's okay i have kids i understand or i'm pregnant or w/e you'll know not to hire them

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Ask him what 'out of inodes' means and how to fix it. This usually stumps linux fanboys that don't know poo poo.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ask him to explain the difference between open source and free software.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
ask
  • do you know how to program
  • are you good at programming
you really want to get a yes for both of these questions but you can get away with less

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

Again and again, in interviews and surveys, one is asked what hobby one has. If the illustrated magazines report on one of those entertainment celebrities, of whom to speak constitutes a preoccupation with the same, they seldom fail to list, more or less intimately, the person's hobbies. In the self-explanatory quality of the question of what hobbies one has, it resonates that one must have some; perhaps even a selection that matches the leisure business's offerings. Organized freedom is compulsory. Woe if you have no hobby, no free time activity. Then you are a swot, an old-timer, an eccentric, and subject to ridicule in a society that dictates to you what your free time shall be. This compulsion is not only an external one. It knits itself into the needs of people under the functioning system.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
say linux and see if you get corrected

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

ask
  • do you know how to program
  • are you good at programming
you really want to get a yes for both of these questions but you can get away with less

"On a scale of 1 to 5 how well do you know (insert the jobs primary language here)". You'd be surprised how many people will tell you things like "2".

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

i asked him all this poo poo and now im fired

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Suck him off.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

"On a scale of 1 to 5 how well do you know (insert the jobs primary language here)". You'd be surprised how many people will tell you things like "2".

make sure to tell them the scale is newborn baby to bjarne stroustrup

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

make sure to tell them the scale is newborn baby to bjarne stroustrup

so the scale goes from none to horrible?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

titaniumone posted:

i asked him all this poo poo and now im fired

what did you actually ask him. i am curious.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

GameCube posted:

what did you actually ask him. i am curious.

used this as a basis and added in security related stuff

https://sites.google.com/site/steveyegge2/five-essential-phone-screen-questions

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i thought i was using that as a basis too but wow there are some really terrible recommendations there

- coding over the phone, lol. i don't care if it's just a for loop, save it for the whiteboard.
- questions that take up a paragraph
- when asking for definitions, the candidate has to read his mind to know whether examples are forbidden, acceptable, or required
- "you have wrong editor opinions, next!"

there's literally nothing wrong with a candidate talking a lot during a screen as long as they're demonstrating theyr qualifications or lack of

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
really the only idea i ever took away from that guide is that the phone screen is for determining whether someone's a complete phony

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

i agree all the coding stuff is an awful idea over the phone so i stuck to much simpler and non syntax heavy stuff

it worked out

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

akadajet posted:

Microsoft's recruit bots do this the worst way:
"What language have you used most"
"What do you like about it" gently caress YOU gently caress YOU I WASNT ASKED WHETHER I LIKE IT
"Rate yourself on a scale to 10"
"How long will it take you to become a 10"

I hate every part of this, asking people to rate themselves with a number is nothing more than cargo cult ceremony and head games, there is no rational way to answer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I wonder what the point of that question is, because my natural inclination is to answer "it isn't up to me to rate myself, it's up to other people" and I don't think that's the right answer.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm an 8 now. but since proficiency is asymptotic, I expect to approach 10 but never reach it. I plan to be over 9 in another 2 years.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

GameCube posted:

gently caress You

I would also accept this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

I wonder what the point of that question is, because my natural inclination is to answer "it isn't up to me to rate myself, it's up to other people" and I don't think that's the right answer.

i only ask if it i'm suspicious that the candidate is putting filler keywords on their resume. this just confirms it most of the time.

i could also just say "you listed angular. how well do you you know angular?" "oh, a friend told me it was good"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

incidentally i really need to bone up an react given it's trendiness at the moment. i'm sure the next time we're hiring i'm going to get a wave of people who "know" react.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
"How many frameworks could you implement a todo list in?

No wait

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

i only ask if it i'm suspicious that the candidate is putting filler keywords on their resume. this just confirms it most of the time.

i could also just say "you listed angular. how well do you you know angular?" "oh, a friend told me it was good"

yeah the amount of people who will just be honest as long as you're polite and friendly in an interview is great since a lot of exaggerators self-own and save you the time of figuring out yourself if they know anything

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

incidentally i really need to bone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate just turn up on the first day

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i just got a resume for an ops position that says "full-stack" on it and I'm very :confuoot:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

full snack

George
Nov 27, 2004

snack up

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Describe your job to him or her.

Ask if they can do your job.

If they say yes, don't hire.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
where do you see yourself in 5 years? if the answer is not dead or in jail, they're lame and probably no fun to party with

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

The Management posted:

where do you see yourself in 5 years? if the answer is not dead or in jail, they're lame and probably no fun to party with

this but don't forget "rehab"

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You guys sound like some badass computer programmers.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

we're extremely badass computer programmers.

George
Nov 27, 2004

do you see this long hair and leather jacket

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
*gestures to spotify playlist filled w death metal*

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

angry_keebler posted:

about 5 minutes into the interview say excuse me i hate to do this and then 30 seconds later come back and say oh i'm so sorry but i just got a call from my wife who is due any day now and i had to make sure t wasn't an emergency

and then if they say oh that's okay i have kids i understand or i'm pregnant or w/e you'll know not to hire them

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

• Locked thread