Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

How dare you change the greatest thread title of all time.

E:vvvv No argument there.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Great choice of tag, tho.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fix posted:

Great choice of tag, tho.

Yes, it's perfect.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

SilverSupernova posted:

I cannot even begin to grasp why Sony is in the lead this console gen when the PS4 currently has the least exclusive content out for it.

:psyduck:

I don't think this is accurate.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

Nintendo could obviously care less about third party games as well, since from their Nintendo Direct presentations everyone goes gaga over you would be hard pressed to believe they even have a third party title. Unfortunately that means the Nintendo becomes the "second console" which is something a lot of people aren't willing to pay for. It's fine for you and me but for most families the kid is gonna get one if any and if they want to play the same poo poo as all their friends it's probably not gonna be a Nintendo.

The Sony version of a second screen was split between Remote Play on PSP/Vita, companion apps on tablets (mostly from Ubi games), and a second screen option was actually put into the Playstation tablet app but I never saw it used. It has instructions in the app on how to use it as a second screen though, maybe there was some game that actually did. Needless to say Remote Play is the only use out of those anyone cared about (and similar to that feature you liked about the Wii U).

third party titles get a lot of airtime on nintendo directs, it's just usually they're exclusive to the system. last one had dragon quest, monster hunter, bravely second, gunvolt, that f2p namco thing and a poo poo ton of indie stuff

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

raditts posted:

You're chastising Nintendo for doing the tablet thing, but you think loving VR, which combines the worst failures of all three current console makers (Virtual Boy / Kinect / Move) is going to be the thing to take off?

VR will be interesting but there's still a huge problem. Control for movement in the games. Unless you have like a backyard the size of BF2 maps or one of those crazy hold you in place things so you can run in virtual reality, movement will feel odd.

VR walking thing, I dont know what the hell its called but good luck finding space for this.

The Vive portal game has you make portals to teleport. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbp7xX9QPOc\

Bet the games will be fine sitting down using a controller or a KB/mouse but its really just a display thing.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 25, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NT Plus posted:

It kind of is. Sony's first party output has been pretty dreadful so far.

Thank god for Bloodborne though.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

NT Plus posted:

Maybe it's not, but whenever I ask people who have the consoles what they have that's worth playing, I tend to hear a lot more exclusives from the Bone players, like Halo, or Killer Instinct or Titanfall.
PS4 I only really hear people mention Bloodborne. I know it has other exclusives, but most of those apparently aren't even worth looking at, like Knack or The Order 16-whatever.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I certainly wouldn't point to them as the reason behind the PS4's success, but there are a good number of smaller third party titles that are either only on Sony platforms or are Sony/PC.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

third party titles get a lot of airtime on nintendo directs, it's just usually they're exclusive to the system. last one had dragon quest, monster hunter, bravely second, gunvolt, that f2p namco thing and a poo poo ton of indie stuff
True, but if it's all exclusive stuff it still doesn't solve the "second console" problem. If nobody can play the stuff they can play on almost any other machine, it gets to be a tough decision no matter how strong the exclusives are. And they're pretty loving strong.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

CrashCat posted:

True, but if it's all exclusive stuff it still doesn't solve the "second console" problem. If nobody can play the stuff they can play on almost any other machine, it gets to be a tough decision no matter how strong the exclusives are. And they're pretty loving strong.

The PS4 was as successful as it was because when it launched it could play the major multiplatform games for $100 less than the Xbox One, have better graphics at the same time, and didn't force you to put a camera in your living room right after the Snowden leaks made people really weary about surveillance.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just the same thing as the 360/ps3, came out first & cheaper.

Wii couldn't compete with that, it has its own games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Just the same thing as the 360/ps3, came out first & cheaper.

Wii couldn't compete with that, it has its own games.

Microsoft also really hosed the marketing with the xbone, just like Sony did with the ps3.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Speaking of, does anyone have a link to the Xbox meltdown thread?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have a link to the Xbox meltdown thread?

the current shark tank thread or the original announcement/e3 thread from 2013?

here's the current one anyway: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622381

the very long OP has links to the past xbox one threads as well.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That's the one, thank you.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

NT Plus posted:

It's not far off the mark. Sony has really undelivered on the first party front thus far. They seem to be saving a few tricks for their VR project, but their regular studios are really quiet. I mean it's like uncharted 4 at some point and then what? Sony paint in 3d?

One would almost say they were pulling a Nintendo.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 26, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I can't wait to play Diablo 3 with a VR headset.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/03/25/why-didnt-nintendo-itself-tell-us-those-nx-controller-images-were-fake/#3a6602fe1e56

Paul Tassi is an idiot, as the Wii U thread regulars already know.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

If companies openly denied every hoax, then them NOT denying actual leaks would be the same thing as saying "Yes, that is real."

Which is why they never deny hoaxes.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

You are the only one on this board who reposts him. You are the only one from here driving hits at him. You are the only one from here helping him continue to get paid doing what he does.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Thank you Jonas Albrecht for helping to keep the unemployment rate down

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I do like that in this particular instance the guy wrote the article as a response to being punk'd instead of owning up to it like most people who got fooled did.

Like when Keighley would ask Pachter why Nintendo never listened to him and make a Wii HD and he would say, "A SMART person would have listened to me and done it."

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I do like that in this particular instance the guy wrote the article as a response to being punk'd instead of owning up to it like most people who got fooled did.

Like when Keighley would ask Pachter why Nintendo never listened to him and make a Wii HD and he would say, "A SMART person would have listened to me and done it."

Pachter was right tho

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
they did make a wii hd. it's called the wii u

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah but they should have made it like 2-3 years earlier

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

I cannot even begin to grasp why Sony is in the lead this console gen when the PS4 currently has the least exclusive content out for it.

lol

SilverSupernova posted:

Maybe it's not, but whenever I ask people who have the consoles what they have that's worth playing, I tend to hear a lot more exclusives from the Bone players, like Halo, or Killer Instinct or Titanfall.
PS4 I only really hear people mention Bloodborne. I know it has other exclusives, but most of those apparently aren't even worth looking at, like Knack or The Order 16-whatever.

the bone, like any nintendo console, focuses on a large, well known exclusives to diraw a mass market audience. unfortunately for both of them, no one cares about halo or mario anymore. sony is using the strat they brought up for the ps3 which is a metric ton of smaller exclusives targeting niches so that instead of relying on a big shooter title as their sole draw, they have a bunch of games for different tastes instead, while also grabbing all the decent pc indies and putting them on a platform people actually buy. given that neither nintendo or micorosft can actually move hardware, while sony is pushing out ridiculous sales with profitable hardware, seems like its paying off big time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

raditts posted:

You're chastising Nintendo for doing the tablet thing, but you think loving VR, which combines the worst failures of all three current console makers (Virtual Boy / Kinect / Move) is going to be the thing to take off?

the difference is that the sony vr is an optional add on which is profitable on each sale and has already taken ridiculous preorders. the wii u tablet was something no one asked for or wanted but u couldnt choose not to buy and whose only purpose was to drive up the base cost of the console.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Stux posted:

the difference is that the sony vr is an optional add on which is profitable on each sale and has already taken ridiculous preorders. the wii u tablet was something no one asked for or wanted but u couldnt choose not to buy and whose only purpose was to drive up the base cost of the console.

First off, the game pad is literally just a regular controller with a touchscreen. Unlike the Wii, if you didn't care about using the screen it still has every single button and feature or a regular controller without buying an add-on. There's no gimmick being forced on anyone. And second what does that base cost thing even mean when the base cost is still $100-200 cheaper than the other two?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

First off, the game pad is literally just a regular controller with a touchscreen. Unlike the Wii, if you didn't care about using the screen it still has every single button and feature or a regular controller without buying an add-on. There's no gimmick being forced on anyone. And second what does that base cost thing even mean when the base cost is still $100-200 cheaper than the other two?

yeah and its loving huge and dumb and no one likes it. if u dont care about using the screen and only wanted to us ehte buttons etc of a regular controller then you had to contend with a dumb massive pad for literally no reason. also cant hold a charge for poo poo. ship it with a pro pad, make the tablet pad an add on.

the wii u at launch in 2012 was not $100-200 cheaper than the 360 or the ps3. it was more expensive with no third party support and no real power gains. it was/is cheaper than a ps4 when that came out, but then the ps4 was an actual upgrade in tech and also had games people want to play on it.

idk what ur argument is unless you're completely unaware that no one bought a wii u. these are the reasons why no one bought one, and as nintendo have shown they are chronically unable to learn from past mistakes, its unlikely whatever they poo poo out for the NX will sell either. it'll either have some dumb gimmick no one wants that you cant avoid, no third party support or games with a pathetic and ridiculously drawn out release schedule for all first party titles, a staggering lack of power for absolutely no reason, or all of the above.

its cool if you dont care about sales figures, just dont be surprised whne making consoles becomes financially untenable for them because they cant shift units and they have to leave the market.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lets remember that nintendo's history in home consoles at this point is one of repeated mistakes and failures and any successes have come in spite of themselves.

the NES was fine, but it was also running unopposed. it had no other real competition in the home console space. but it was a fine console, it did well and nintendo marketed the thing intelligently in the US. this is literally the high point of nintendo home consoles. 62 million units sold.

the SNES was a nothing machine. it was literally a new NES. despite coming off of a generation that they had dominated, they somehow lost ground to the genesis of all things and ended up in a worse position than the generation before. already they have slipped. 50 million units sold, a drop from the NES, which itslelf isnt an issue, but the market for consoels grew at the same time. luckily for them sega was even dumber and self destructed in the following years.

next they made the dumbest loving move in the history of games and courted sony to make some dumb poo poo hybrid machine. this move was completely inexplicable. what was even more inexplicable was that after having put in so much work, they dropped sony, tried the same thing with phillips, then decided actually theyd just make their own console again. this move was akin to microsoft bailing out apple in how much it hosed them over, only somehow worse.

so they come out with the n64. it has a dumb controller, which will be a trend moving forward, it steals ideas from the sega 32x with expandable hardware (why?), it uses carts still despite them being gently caress dumb expensive and not worth it, it cant handle 3d well, the list of gently caress ups are endless. possibly the worst console they ever made on a purely technical level. along with this sony release a console, however they;re a new name in gaming, its their first real attempt at a console that will see release. this shouldnt have been a compeititon for the company that had revived a dead market in the US and was still the market leader. unfortuantely nitnendo is institutionally dumb: they sell 32 million units while the ps1 moves over 100 million, eclipsing everything theyve done in one go. all because nintendo hosed them over. good move. this is the foundation on which their future failure will be built.

next is the gamecube, probably their best attempt at a modern console. unfortunately despite actually having a technically solid console with a controller which isnt that stupid (its still pretty stupid) they failed to market it at all, they failed to get any proper software support and they failed to properly learn any lessons from the embaressment of the n64. they sell just over 20 million units while sony shifts 155 million ps2s. sony in two generations has completely and utterly taken the market from them.

then you get the wii. this shouldve been what saved them in the home console space. it had a dumb controller and gimmick, but it came at exactly the right time when people were open to it, and its implementation was great for attracting brand new gamers that no one had been able to get before. luckily these people havnt played nintendo games since the snes so their usual copy paste mario etc games sell. sony made a really dumb loving move with the ps3 and was fighting off the 360, giving nintendo a great chance to regain lost ground. unfortunately it turns out this was a complete accident, and sony arent as dumb as sega. despite selling around 100 million units and winning the generation, they had no plan or ideas for how to keep this influx of gamers on their platforms, while sony turned around the ps3 and grabbed second place. the wii succeeded in spite of nintendo and not because they expected it to.

this leads directly to the wii u, which has the worst marketing of anything ever made, leading people to think its dumb gimmick controller was just a wii add on. everyone who bought the wii moved to either sony, mobile or pc beacuse they forgot to leverage their new playerbase. they release it while everyone is anticipating the new sony and microsoft consoles which couldve been a masterstroke had they given it modern hardware and got proper third party support. unfortunately it was barely more powerful than the ps3/360 and more expensive than them, but no where near as powerful as what people were expecting from the new ps and xbox. compounded with that they forget that they need to actually make games for it and dont bother for two years. they move 10 million units, and by the time they start making games for it sony releases the ps4 which destroys it on every single level.

the NX will do exactly the same thing again. we already know it has a dumb gimmick (hybrid handheld console lmao), except this time the gimmick is "lets sacrifice our actually successful hardware to try and save our dead hardware". it'll have poo poo hardware, its alreayd been said it'll be around xbox levels, so it will be less powerful than an established console which is currently selling ridiculous numbers. it'll have no third party support despite the fact that they already know the market for their first party shovelware is around 10 million people. it will have some dumbshit name, probably one that confuses the general public, because apparently the only company in gaming able to simply pick a name and incredment numbers on it is sony. its coming out in a shortened time frame, much like the dreamcast did after the failure of the saturn. everything about it and nintendo themselves mean it will fail, and it will fail hard while taking down the DS brand with it. they cannot just make hardware no one buys forever, especially when their main competition is making a console that is profitable on every sale and more powerful, with better software, better support and better brand recognition. they will move to software, which they shouldve done after the n64 and finally die. namaste.

close this thread, its not needed anymore. put this post in the OP and pin the thread until the NX releases. RIP nintendo.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I wish Stux would stop posting

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I wish Stux would stop posting

i wish nintendo would stop making bad consoles

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I wish it were June already.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Stux posted:

lets remember that nintendo's history in home consoles at this point is one of repeated mistakes and failures and any successes have come in spite of themselves.

the NES was fine, but it was also running unopposed. it had no other real competition in the home console space. but it was a fine console, it did well and nintendo marketed the thing intelligently in the US. this is literally the high point of nintendo home consoles. 62 million units sold.

the SNES was a nothing machine. it was literally a new NES. despite coming off of a generation that they had dominated, they somehow lost ground to the genesis of all things and ended up in a worse position than the generation before. already they have slipped. 50 million units sold, a drop from the NES, which itslelf isnt an issue, but the market for consoels grew at the same time. luckily for them sega was even dumber and self destructed in the following years.

next they made the dumbest loving move in the history of games and courted sony to make some dumb poo poo hybrid machine. this move was completely inexplicable. what was even more inexplicable was that after having put in so much work, they dropped sony, tried the same thing with phillips, then decided actually theyd just make their own console again. this move was akin to microsoft bailing out apple in how much it hosed them over, only somehow worse.

so they come out with the n64. it has a dumb controller, which will be a trend moving forward, it steals ideas from the sega 32x with expandable hardware (why?), it uses carts still despite them being gently caress dumb expensive and not worth it, it cant handle 3d well, the list of gently caress ups are endless. possibly the worst console they ever made on a purely technical level. along with this sony release a console, however they;re a new name in gaming, its their first real attempt at a console that will see release. this shouldnt have been a compeititon for the company that had revived a dead market in the US and was still the market leader. unfortuantely nitnendo is institutionally dumb: they sell 32 million units while the ps1 moves over 100 million, eclipsing everything theyve done in one go. all because nintendo hosed them over. good move. this is the foundation on which their future failure will be built.

next is the gamecube, probably their best attempt at a modern console. unfortunately despite actually having a technically solid console with a controller which isnt that stupid (its still pretty stupid) they failed to market it at all, they failed to get any proper software support and they failed to properly learn any lessons from the embaressment of the n64. they sell just over 20 million units while sony shifts 155 million ps2s. sony in two generations has completely and utterly taken the market from them.

then you get the wii. this shouldve been what saved them in the home console space. it had a dumb controller and gimmick, but it came at exactly the right time when people were open to it, and its implementation was great for attracting brand new gamers that no one had been able to get before. luckily these people havnt played nintendo games since the snes so their usual copy paste mario etc games sell. sony made a really dumb loving move with the ps3 and was fighting off the 360, giving nintendo a great chance to regain lost ground. unfortunately it turns out this was a complete accident, and sony arent as dumb as sega. despite selling around 100 million units and winning the generation, they had no plan or ideas for how to keep this influx of gamers on their platforms, while sony turned around the ps3 and grabbed second place. the wii succeeded in spite of nintendo and not because they expected it to.

this leads directly to the wii u, which has the worst marketing of anything ever made, leading people to think its dumb gimmick controller was just a wii add on. everyone who bought the wii moved to either sony, mobile or pc beacuse they forgot to leverage their new playerbase. they release it while everyone is anticipating the new sony and microsoft consoles which couldve been a masterstroke had they given it modern hardware and got proper third party support. unfortunately it was barely more powerful than the ps3/360 and more expensive than them, but no where near as powerful as what people were expecting from the new ps and xbox. compounded with that they forget that they need to actually make games for it and dont bother for two years. they move 10 million units, and by the time they start making games for it sony releases the ps4 which destroys it on every single level.

the NX will do exactly the same thing again. we already know it has a dumb gimmick (hybrid handheld console lmao), except this time the gimmick is "lets sacrifice our actually successful hardware to try and save our dead hardware". it'll have poo poo hardware, its alreayd been said it'll be around xbox levels, so it will be less powerful than an established console which is currently selling ridiculous numbers. it'll have no third party support despite the fact that they already know the market for their first party shovelware is around 10 million people. it will have some dumbshit name, probably one that confuses the general public, because apparently the only company in gaming able to simply pick a name and incredment numbers on it is sony. its coming out in a shortened time frame, much like the dreamcast did after the failure of the saturn. everything about it and nintendo themselves mean it will fail, and it will fail hard while taking down the DS brand with it. they cannot just make hardware no one buys forever, especially when their main competition is making a console that is profitable on every sale and more powerful, with better software, better support and better brand recognition. they will move to software, which they shouldve done after the n64 and finally die. namaste.

close this thread, its not needed anymore. put this post in the OP and pin the thread until the NX releases. RIP nintendo.

u mad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im mad that nintendo arent already dead. thankfully they have securded their own fate. RIP

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

im mad that nintendo arent already dead. thankfully they have securded their own fate. RIP

Stux, I'm going to find a wizard and have him magically tie your fate to Nintendo's.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

u can try but my magical protection is thru the roof.

i was forged in the fires of the great nintendo/sega console wars. i am a vertern of numerous combats. my posting carreer is a storied history of being right about and subsequently pwning gmaing companys and fans. u are but an ant to me, ur power levels barely register. if u attempt to step up u will get destroyed. for the sake of your family, give up now.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

someone get stux on the next flight to kyoto since he knows what's best for nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

someone get stux on the next flight to kyoto since he knows what's best for nintendo

cancel all hardware, make gamems for ps4, ios and android.

ur welcome i will be expecting my check in the mail reggie≥

• Locked thread