Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Saw this movie on a flight recently, it's just as bad as the thread made it out to be. Half the movie could have been cut out and it would have been the same, and why they decided not to show Batman assaulting lexcorp to steal the kryptonite is beyond me

Jesse Eisenberg wasn't bad tho, I thought he gave a pretty good performance with the material he was given

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CharlestonJew posted:

Saw this movie on a flight recently, it's just as bad as the thread made it out to be. Half the movie could have been cut out and it would have been the same, and why they decided not to show Batman assaulting lexcorp to steal the kryptonite is beyond me

Jesse Eisenberg wasn't bad tho, I thought he gave a pretty good performance with the material he was given
I see what they were going for with Lex, upping him from 80s evil business man to 2000s millenial wunderkind business man; I just prefer the former so much, especially if played by Clancy Brown.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lex luthor has been completely reinvented over and over again. some of those versions are very bad, and many of them are very good.

so naturally they decided to make him an idiot manchild whose motivations were only shown in deleted scenes.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

lex luthor has been completely reinvented over and over again. some of those versions are very bad, and many of them are very good.

so naturally they decided to make him an idiot manchild whose motivations were only shown in deleted scenes.

Well he'd already played Zuckerberg once before, so...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Glass Joe posted:

Well he'd already played Zuckerberg once before, so...

That was such a bad casting call. Movies need to stop acting like a Steve Jobs or Zuckerberg parody is novel, let alone try to reproduce the one time it worked with the same actor no less.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Overall I find it funny that everyone was bitching when it was announced that Affleck was going to play Batman when he is by far the best part of the final product.

That's all I took away from this movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ben Affleck had always gotten a ton of hate and I never understood why. Even at his nadir in Gigli and Jersey Girl I never found him as toxic as people said. Is it just because his good looks are kind of frat/preppy without Matt Damon's affability?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

"He's pretending to be retarded but we all know so let's laugh at the kid who just got here and mistook us as actually retarded because we're so good at consistently pretending to be retarded."

Can't imagine how that would be exasperating.

I agree with this post, and think it should be a guide for moderators.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

Ben Affleck had always gotten a ton of hate and I never understood why. Even at his nadir in Gigli and Jersey Girl I never found him as toxic as people said. Is it just because his good looks are kind of frat/preppy without Matt Damon's affability?

remember when they did one of those shows where they look at celebrity ancestry and nixed Affleck's after they found out his were slave owners lol

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Aussie.

And The Raid is Indonesian. America can't ball like southern pacific.

Also only Dredd is in competition with just about any action movie Korea has released in the last...decade?

Assassination
is a movie everyone should go find on Netflix, and just marvel (hehe) at.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

I hate Batman, in general.

Brooding and being depressed and shutting people out of your life does not make you cool, it's debilitating.

You cannot just shut down your emotions or just run on negative ones and become a perfect god of euphoric rationality who's always better than everyone at everything and always right.

He's not a human character, he's not anything positive, he is the most negative superhero and should never have been taken seriously. Batman was a mistake, he's nothing but trash.

E:
one more picture

We're a minority opinion I think, but Batman is in need of a change. I don't think the Adam West cartoon coming out has much hope, but we're on year 27 of gothic Batman, just counting from the Burton '89 movie. It's exhausting. And every version just keeps getting "darker" which really means Batman talks with the gruff-guy voice more and his moves are more violent and the bat suit becomes more like armor. For all the "Batman's the most human of heroes" talk, this 30 years has made him insanely inhuman. He's a monster and a god, and most importantly he's a giant bore. OH Batman's pushing someone away from him? zzzzzz. Oh Joker's a dark reflection of zzzzzzz. Oh he has to fight more assassizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It's crazy to think that at some point as a kid, the word "Gotham" to me conjured up images of sunny Burbank.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
That's why I will always believe that Micheal Keaton's portrayal of batman was the best.

The man knew how to rock a turtleneck is all I'm saying.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

We're a minority opinion I think, but Batman is in need of a change. I don't think the Adam West cartoon coming out has much hope, but we're on year 27 of gothic Batman, just counting from the Burton '89 movie. It's exhausting. And every version just keeps getting "darker" which really means Batman talks with the gruff-guy voice more and his moves are more violent and the bat suit becomes more like armor. For all the "Batman's the most human of heroes" talk, this 30 years has made him insanely inhuman. He's a monster and a god, and most importantly he's a giant bore. OH Batman's pushing someone away from him? zzzzzz. Oh Joker's a dark reflection of zzzzzzz. Oh he has to fight more assassizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It's crazy to think that at some point as a kid, the word "Gotham" to me conjured up images of sunny Burbank.
I would recommend Batman Brave and the Bold then

Cordon bleu
Sep 11, 2016

by Smythe

Vakal posted:

That's why I will always believe that Micheal Keaton's portrayal of batman was the best.

The man knew how to rock a turtleneck is all I'm saying.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I just saw that Batman in the theater a few weeks ago and Keaton isn't that great. He's good, but the material doesn't let him do much. Then again 89 Batman isn't a good movie tbqh so

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I've seen a few episodes and it's not bad, but for other reasons it just never really sticks with me I guess.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I want a Batman Arkham City game set in the 60's Adam West universe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

same as heck.

POW

ZAP

WHAM

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We all want that.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

they even make fun of zack snyder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYBw3ilZZUg

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

guy sucking up to smg lmao posted:

Yeah, SMG has been vouching for its similarities to Escape from New York since the beginning - and it's a good comparison, seeing as Escape from New York is, like, one of the most naive of all dystopian action movies, what with it being a remake of The Wizard of Oz and all.

good point master, you are so wise and smart :downs:

naem
May 29, 2011

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Every Frame a Painting on how the MCU's scores play it safe and aren't bold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs
He's like the only I guy I like who can criticize the MCU without looking too pompous, though he takes a lot of potshots at the MCU (using them for examples for bad editing and bad cinematography) in his videos for some reason

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Every Frame a Painting on how the MCU's scores play it safe and aren't bold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs
He's like the only I guy I like who can criticize the MCU without looking too pompous, though he takes a lot of potshots at the MCU (using them for examples for bad editing and bad cinematography) in his videos for some reason

I think it's that he approaches the critique from the angle of a craftsman, trying to explain what tools are being mis-used in the construction of a product. Only a small handful of people really look at these movies like that- most reviewers focus purely on whether the story was interesting to them, or if they found a character they enjoyed.

Also I don't think EFaP has much stakes in the MCU/DCU fan war or anything, so that helps too obviously. From what he usually references as 'good', he's much more invested in what Asian cinema is doing, or digging in to the techniques of someone who was making films 30-60-90 years ago.

edit- he also takes a lot of time to craft his arguments. He makes a lot of his point in this video by letting you listen to the temp tracks and see similarities. And the example of removing audio components from the Iron Man and Winter Soldier scenes are really valueable too.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Everything has to be really complicated about the batman, like how its his fault of everything, instead of just being a cool detective. Frankly maybe its not the batman thats mentally ill, but everyone blaming him for the city problems...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress the ROW posted:

Everything has to be really complicated about the batman, like how its his fault of everything, instead of just being a cool detective. Frankly maybe its not the batman thats mentally ill, but everyone blaming him for the city problems...

If Heath Ledger hadn't died, I think we could have had a great sequel to The Dark Knight looking at this. You've got Joker regularly escaping and killing people, a few other psychos like Scarecrow and Zsasz doing the same. People start saying "Why doesn't Batman just kill these lunatics instead of leaving them for the cops to throw in Arkham until they escape again?" Bruce is left wondering if he even wants to protect a city that is happy with the idea of killing criminals without any sort of due process. Maybe even have a new vigilante turn up using similar techniques to Batman, but willing to kill.

Basically, I want something to address the issue so idiots will stop saying "Hurr durr, Batman should just kill Joker."

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

gently caress the ROW posted:

Everything has to be really complicated about the batman, like how its his fault of everything

That bugs me the most. I mean it's not even like little Bruce was all like "No daddy, the pony store is down this dark alley, I'm sure of it!" or like her tossed a ball at the back of the shooters head by accident and triggered the whole murder. He can feel bad about it, but he has no reason to be haunted by guilt and poo poo.

gently caress, look a Spiderman. Peter Parker being a selfish dick high on new superpowers directly leads to his uncle/surrogate father dying on the street, and he managed to get over it and come out a better person instead of moving into a cave and playing Bella Lugosi's Dead on a loop for decades.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Frankenstyle posted:

That bugs me the most. I mean it's not even like little Bruce was all like "No daddy, the pony store is down this dark alley, I'm sure of it!" or like her tossed a ball at the back of the shooters head by accident and triggered the whole murder. He can feel bad about it, but he has no reason to be haunted by guilt and poo poo.

gently caress, look a Spiderman. Peter Parker being a selfish dick high on new superpowers directly leads to his uncle/surrogate father dying on the street, and he managed to get over it and come out a better person instead of moving into a cave and playing Bella Lugosi's Dead on a loop for decades.

Depending on the writer, there have been stories of Bruce blaming himself because he thinks he's the reason they went out in the first place.

I think in a cut scene from Batman Forever, Bruce blamed himself for them going to the movies that night and then he found his father's journal that said something like,

"Well, Martha and I want to go out to a movie. Bruce wants to see some cartoon, but that will have to wait until next week because Martha really wants to see the new Zorro movie tonight. She also wanted to give Alfred the night off, too, since we'd be gone, so it looks like we're driving ourselves. I wish some other theater in town was showing Zorro, but Martha was insistent on that film you'd think she had a crush on a man in a costume. :) You have to go through that smelly alley just to not have to walk 30 minutes to get back to your parking space. Bruce's cartoon idea at the metroplex on the mall looks better all the time..."

"Getting ready to go and I'm hearing Martha gaslighting Bruce up in the kitchen, telling him, "No, don't you remember? You've been talking about wanting to see Zorro all week," trying to convince him he loves George Hamilton movies..."

Bruce then flips his poo poo and starts screaming, "Martha? MARTHA!?! WHY'D SHE WANT TO SEE ZORRO!" He starts petulantly tossing everything around like an angry child and realizing he was never to blame in the first place.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Has there ever been a Batman/Spider-Man crossover that straight up called Batman out on that?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

though he takes a lot of potshots at the MCU (using them for examples for bad editing and bad cinematography) in his videos for some reason

he's not wrong. like i said before the one good post smg ever made was about the poor shot composition in the avengers.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
SMG just called Dare out for being "pretentious and masturbatory" speaking of good posting.

(edit)

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nope, there's nothing in the form of your clip-show to indicate that.

ROFLMFAO

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 13, 2016

naem
May 29, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

If Heath Ledger hadn't died, I think we could have had a great sequel to The Dark Knight looking at this. You've got Joker regularly escaping and killing people, a few other psychos like Scarecrow and Zsasz doing the same. People start saying "Why doesn't Batman just kill these lunatics instead of leaving them for the cops to throw in Arkham until they escape again?" Bruce is left wondering if he even wants to protect a city that is happy with the idea of killing criminals without any sort of due process. Maybe even have a new vigilante turn up using similar techniques to Batman, but willing to kill.

Basically, I want something to address the issue so idiots will stop saying "Hurr durr, Batman should just kill Joker."

Um, yeah those are clearly "new, good" ideas and have no place in Hollywood thank you

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

SMG just called Dare out for being "pretentious and masturbatory" speaking of good posting.
The irony is palpable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Frankenstyle posted:

well, not uncle ben as played by martin sheen. that dumbass saw that a guy had a gun and then picked a fight with him. even if that version of peter had stopped the robber, his uncle probably would have chased a plastic bag into the middle of busy traffic and died that way.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

No way any of his villains should have made it out of police custody that many times without a severed spine or two

Oh wait the only one who isn't white is a bulletproof lizard man, nvm

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Batman can't kill the Joker, but he doesn't have to save him from getting sentenced to death.

I'd like to imagine in Nolan's Batuniverse, someone found that the Joker did a capital crime in Texas, so they extradited him there, where we don't truck to insanity clauses when it comes to the death penalty. Joker's last words are "Is this a joke?" before they put the needle in his arm in Huntsville.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Young Freud posted:

Batman can't kill the Joker, but he doesn't have to save him from getting sentenced to death.

I see you're not familiar with the story where Batman does exactly that.

Joker got convicted of a crime he didn't commit and Batman moved heaven and earth to get the conviction overturned before Joker was executed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
an explanation batman gave once is that in a setting with time travel, magic and super intelligent gorillas killing people just creates more problems than it solves.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

I see you're not familiar with the story where Batman does exactly that.

Joker got convicted of a crime he didn't commit and Batman moved heaven and earth to get the conviction overturned before Joker was executed.

Problem with that story is that someone else was guilty, and it made sense that Batman would want to find out who the real murderer was. Story would have been better if they'd kept the idea of an ambitious DA deciding to try and fight for the death penalty over an insanity plea, but make it for something Joker had actually done. What does Batman do when he's so against killing, but the direct result of him capturing someone will be that they're killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Serious Frolicking posted:

an explanation batman gave once is that in a setting with time travel, magic and super intelligent gorillas killing people just creates more problems than it solves.

If you kill someone in comicbookland they'll just come back a few months later with a new costume and stronger powers, almost guaranteed.

• Locked thread