Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Cameo posted:

Sure am looking forward to the dimension tripping movie written by the guy who got angry at Inception's ending because Christopher Nolan didn't show us whether the top fell over or not.

And directed by the guy who might have the single blandest filmography in genre filmmaking.
I sure could make a better movie than these hacks :smug:

Also :lol: at people saying that Chiwetel Ejiofor should have been cast as Dr. Strange, gently caress that I just want to watch a superhero movie that looks semi accurate to the comics.

All they want to do to movies like Civil War is make it look like a goddamn Refn film with the cinematography, they don't need that, they just a good story and quips and a decent score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Suicide Squad encountering no box office resistance until recently has been a surprise.

It does seem like more of a happy accident than anything else.

achillesforever6 posted:

All they want to do to movies like Civil War is make it look like a goddamn Refn film with the cinematography, they don't need that, they just a good story and quips and a decent score.

They get so mad that the stories are predictable, the characters are very archetypal, the visuals are rote, the action usually isn't much to write home about, and yet people keep going to them. It's almost like all of those things aren't why people like superhero stories.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the action in the captain Americas is actually pretty good for Hollywood

good punching

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Now I'm on the last 20 minutes of Man of Steel. I think this is the part where I started laughing in the theaters and my cousin's husband got mad at me.

I like the part where Zod climbs up the building.

Zod and Superman cause a lot of property damage.

"Where did you train, on a farm?" Really clever.

It's interesting we learn more about Zod than Superman during this battle.

Zod randomly tries to kill a family after destroying half the city.

Superman is really hostile and snarky to the military. What an unpleasant guy.

If superheroes don't exist why is kid Clark running around with a cape?

Superman and his mom together is supposed to be touching, but it comes off as hackneyed instead.

Clark gets a job at the Daily Planet despite having no qualifications.

This is an awful movie.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it sure is

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I like the three thousand degree tonal shift right after Clark kills Zod, gets real sad and cries, and then a few seconds later is all smug dick with the military dude

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My fav part of BvS is when doomsday is falling back to Earth and someone is like "Oh no he's heading straight for the city!" then Batman informs them "He's landing in the business section, don't worry, everyone there has been evacuated" and then he turns and looks straight at the camera.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I like the three thousand degree tonal shift right after Clark kills Zod, gets real sad and cries, and then a few seconds later is all smug dick with the military dude

That was the exact moment I realized no amount of mental gymnastics would get me to endorse this movie. The poor editing choices, the utter lack of regard for competent storytelling, the incredibly inconsistent characterization... jesus it loving sucks and that's before you get to how bad a Superman movie it is.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get why if people wanted a dark movie, an adaptation of Superman had to be it. This movie is darker, more grim, and more mean spirited than Watchmen and Batman Begins combined.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Winter Soldier is the third best American action movie of this decade, behind Dredd and John Wick.

BvS's best action scene is Batfleck in a chubby michelin man suit spinning around like a ballerina to give Superchode a booboo and then martha happens.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Winter Soldier is the third best American action movie of this decade, behind Dredd and John Wick.

fury road??? c'mon dawg!

Nirvikalpa posted:

I don't get why if people wanted a dark movie, an adaptation of Superman had to be it.

if you walk out of a superman movie and you don't feel the emotional equivalent of the john williams theme the moviemakers have failed.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

fury road??? c'mon dawg!

Aussie.

And The Raid is Indonesian. America can't ball like southern pacific.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Aussie.

And The Raid is Indonesian. America can't ball like southern pacific.

Greetings good opinions

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it's a real accomplishment to make a pair of movies that make singer's tepid handjob to donner seem really good.

poo poo as was pointed out earlier in the thread, even superman 4: the quest for peace ultimately didn't assassinate the core of the character

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a shame Christopher Reeve isn't alive to see so many people coming to the realisation that Superman III and IV could have been a LOT worse.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.

Is Synder doing the standalone Batman movie and if so how much Batrape will there be?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

WhyteRyce posted:

Is Synder doing the standalone Batman movie and if so how much Batrape will there be?

Batfleck is directing I believe, something he's at least competent at. I think he's had a hand in the script as well, yet another thing Affleck at least has a passable record at. I'm not sure what they're thinking. They need to get an Internet music video director who has only written Strawberry Shortcake fanfic to truly capture the essence of batman.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I hate Batman, in general.

Brooding and being depressed and shutting people out of your life does not make you cool, it's debilitating.

You cannot just shut down your emotions or just run on negative ones and become a perfect god of euphoric rationality who's always better than everyone at everything and always right.

He's not a human character, he's not anything positive, he is the most negative superhero and should never have been taken seriously. Batman was a mistake, he's nothing but trash.

E:
one more picture

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 10, 2016

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

Brooding and being depressed and shutting people out of your life does not make you cool

It does, actually.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
example: Don Draper

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

example: Don Draper

Hell Boy

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A lot of these criticisms of batman seem to assume that the writers are blissfully unaware that he's mentally ill which is absolutely not the case for the vast majority of batman stories.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

quote:

batman would totally be miserable in real life

yeah, thanks for the in depth analysis, idiot

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Doesn't matter if they're aware of it, they still make him the guy who is always right and better than anyone
And his fans keep saying he's the best superhero because he doesn't have powers even though he does poo poo like canonically never sleep.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if batman spent his money on work programs for the poor he'd do much more to destroy crime.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

That's the great thing about him, though! He's actually the most dangerous villain in his little bubble.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Actually you'll find that Bruce Wayne gives billions to improve the lives of Gotham's citizens.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The films seem to progressively generate more commentary on how Batman is ultimately uselessly ineffectual at best and a terrorist at worst, who in neither case has any right or reason to be Batman. Just about every movie sort of feels like the internet commentary becomes, "No, you see, the film is really the director secretly saying how worthless and dumb Batman is."

We need an Iron Man 3 version of a Batman movie of Batman not being Batman. Where the entire film we know Batman/Bruce can solve the problems facing Gotham, but instead he's all about just making money and running his business and training himself just because he wants a beach-ready body. Characters like Alfred literally grab him by the lapels and beg him to do SOMETHING with all these inventions, skills and gadgets he has to avenge his parents and protect the citizens of Gotham from corruption and crime.

Bruce Wayne looks down and whispers 'No."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

if batman spent his money on work programs for the poor he'd do much more to destroy crime.

People keep saying this but doesn't he fight like the Mafia and stuff and not random purse snatchers or whatever. I never really pictured the mafia as the kind of poor downtrodden who turned to a life of crime out of desperation.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Acne Rain posted:

Brooding and being depressed and shutting people out of your life does not make you cool, it's debilitating.

You cannot just shut down your emotions or just run on negative ones and become a perfect god of euphoric rationality who's always better than everyone at everything and always right.

He's not a human character, he's not anything positive, he is the most negative superhero and should never have been taken seriously. Batman was a mistake, he's nothing but trash.

E:
one more picture

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm mostly talking dc comics batman

I still haven't bothered to watch the movies that no one but cined contrarians have ever said positive things about. Just wanted to vent my batman feelings

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

People keep saying this but doesn't he fight like the Mafia and stuff and not random purse snatchers or whatever. I never really pictured the mafia as the kind of poor downtrodden who turned to a life of crime out of desperation.

Sure, he punches them when he can. He'll break a purse snatcher's fuckin' legs just as readily as Vinny "Typewriter" Corleone's face, though. It's called "street sweeping". It's like a hobby.

E: remember, a "random downtrodden poor" killed his parents, and that's his motivation. He didn't find out otherwise until way after the fact.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 10, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

the mob needs people at the bottom of the pyramid to function.

people think the mafia is this group of stylish master criminals but they're semi-literate thugs who had no other choices except menial labor or join the mob.

as a comparison, street dealers make less than minimum wage it's just you can't even get a minimum wage job where most of them live.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

And he generally punches his way up the pyramid. An ideal batman punches 1 member at each tier of an organization, so as he moves up the pyramid the percentage of people on each tier that he's punched increases until it reaches 100% at which point the boss has been punched.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
For all the complaints about the show Gotham, I like this entire scene with Bruce and his parents' killer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiySGB169mA

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

as a comparison, street dealers make less than minimum wage it's just you can't even get a minimum wage job where most of them live.

Ain't no Uzis made in Harlem. Not one of us in here owns a poppy field.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Most writers don't write batman as breaking the backs of street dealers. At most they get a punch in the face if they pull a weapon on him. Maybe they get hung from their feet until they give him a name.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's not fun or exciting though

Also the DCAU version is the best and definitive version of Batman because while he can be moody there are times where he is happy, can laugh, and smile. Now of course the DCAU does take a dark turn in his later years where he's this bitter old and alone man, but even then he gets redemption when Terry comes along to help him continue his fight and also to reconnect to the people he had pushed away for so long.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you walk out of a superman movie and you don't feel the emotional equivalent of the john williams theme the moviemakers have failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

That's not fun or exciting though

Also the DCAU version is the best and definitive version of Batman because while he can be moody there are times where he is happy, can laugh, and smile. Now of course the DCAU does take a dark turn in his later years where he's this bitter old and alone man, but even then he gets redemption when Terry comes along to help him continue his fight and also to reconnect to the people he had pushed away for so long.

It's also because he has a young boy toy to plow again. You've just gotta read between the lines.

E: remember that Batman Beyond episode with Cobra Commander?

• Locked thread