Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm going through my grandma's index card recipe box and there's bunches of crockpot recipes in there. But looking at it all I think I'll post the entire collection in its own thread when I'm done transferring it digitally. Here's a sample:

Crockpot Pork Roast [from June Rick's (my great grandma's) recipes]

4lb Pork Loin Roast Pork Shoulder
16oz jellied cranberry sauce
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbs brown mustard
2 tbs cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 tsp salt

Place roast shoulder in crockpot. Mix cranberry sauce, apple juice, sugar, and mustard and pour over roast shoulder. Cook on low 7-8 5-6 hours. Remove roast shoulder from crock pot. Mix cornstarch, water, and salt to pan drippings and stir over high heat until thickened. Serve sauce over sliced pork. Also good on mashed potatoes.

June used to be in charge of the kitchen up at Rick's college (now BYU-Idaho). A number of the recipes in the collection are hers, but other recipes included are my grandma's own recipes, recipes shared with her from various housewives grandma hung out with, family-friends and relatives, recipes from newspapers she read, etc. It's kind of a snapshot of 1950's/60's/70's home cooking.

If you wanted to make a casserole that included a can of mushroom soup, grandma's your man.

edit: because drat it grandma! Nobody likes dry pork but you!

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Pork Loin is lean and benefits from high heat dry air roasting (or svizzling) rather than low and slow, right?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

If you google 'crockpot pork loin' you'll get a ton of recipes so I guess not? I mean, it's not a sin or anything but if it were me I'd brown it first. That might've been implied though.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 26, 2016

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

MrSlam posted:

If you google 'crockpot pork loin' you'll get a ton of recipes so I guess not?

That really doesn't mean anything.

Crock pots braise meat. The best meats to braise have plenty of fat and connective tissue to break down. Lean meats dry out and are bad choice. Chicken breasts, pork loin, fillet steak, chops. All bad choices for a crock pot. They need short cooking times, not crock pot cooking times.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

At least my great grandma, grandma, dad, and 20 search engine pages worth of results have tried it. And I remember eating it, and it tasted good and moist so...:shrug:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you enjoy it, knock yourself out. If you have the option, a pork shoulder would be much better for the crock pot, and the loin could be sous vided or reverse seared.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

If you enjoy it, knock yourself out. If you have the option, a pork shoulder would be much better for the crock pot, and the loin could be sous vided or reverse seared.

I just asked my dad who told me when he cooked it for us it was 2-3 hours on a low setting in the oven, but he'd recommend changing it to pork shoulder as well and keeping the hours at 5-6. I asked him why grandma cooked tenderloin that way and he said there was a health-scare involving pork (trichinosis) while she was alive so she purposefully overcooked it just in case. Also, she apparently liked it that way. His words. Thanks grandma! I owe Cavenagh and Ranter apologies now.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 26, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Look. If it helps; not all of us are total dicks. I posted the list of things that I currently do with a crockpot way back on page 1. I'm not going to sit here and argue the virtues of using one or if it's a sin to use one. God drat MP, you turned this into a clusterfuck.
If you guys have good recipes that utilize a crockpot then post them! Jesus Christ. Mindphlux is a dick. That's his thing. Please ignore him. I'm sure that there are tons of recipes that utilize them that will make great food. Post those, not a defense of them or an attack against them.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
My favorite use for my crockpot so far has been making glogg on Christmas day. I'm still refining the recipe though. Most of them call for WAY too much sugar.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Croatoan posted:

I'm sure that there are tons of recipes that utilize them that will make great food. Post those

Sorry to come off like the short kid raising his hand in the back of class but

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I am making turkey chili in my crock pot today. Will post a trip report later

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Mindphlux is a dick. That's his thing. Please ignore him.

I can't believe I've been following goons with spoons for this long now, but no one should ignore mindphlux for the simple fact that he challenged bartolimu to a cook off to defend his right to not use punctuation and capital letters in the general chat thread and won:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485340

Happy hat's voting thread was pretty great too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485600

Cracked me up way back when. Call out threads are the best.

Back to crock talk.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartlebee posted:

Back to cock talk.

Be careful with the spicy salsas - they're not for everyone.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MrSlam posted:

I just asked my dad who told me when he cooked it for us it was 2-3 hours on a low setting in the oven, but he'd recommend changing it to pork shoulder as well and keeping the hours at 5-6. I asked him why grandma cooked tenderloin that way and he said there was a health-scare involving pork (trichinosis) while she was alive so she purposefully overcooked it just in case. Also, she apparently liked it that way. His words. Thanks grandma! I owe Cavenagh and Ranter apologies now.

I got a horror story to prove to you that this is a clear and present danger.

I bought 10 pounds of pork loin which I attempted to cook and eat over a week. I got so sick, I was vomiting, making GBS threads my pants, drinking cold water would make me vomit, while vomiting I would poo poo my pants, while making GBS threads my pants I would start to vomit, and coughing would make me vomit. It was a really troubling time of just waking up and changing my pants every few hours for a few days.

Never eat old pork.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

I got a horror story to prove to you that this is a clear and present danger.

I bought 10 pounds of pork loin which I attempted to cook and eat over a week. I got so sick, I was vomiting, making GBS threads my pants, drinking cold water would make me vomit, while vomiting I would poo poo my pants, while making GBS threads my pants I would start to vomit, and coughing would make me vomit. It was a really troubling time of just waking up and changing my pants every few hours for a few days.

Never eat old pork.

Sounds like you ate food that went bad. That's not related to trichinosis, which is definitely not a present danger.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Okay, I've got a quick question....

I roasted a chicken and used the carcass to make a chicken stock, is there anything easy and relatively healthy I can use the stock for that I can cook in my slow cooker?
Any recipe reccomendations?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Gaz2k21 posted:

I roasted a chicken and used the carcass to make a chicken stock, is there anything easy and relatively healthy I can use the stock for that I can cook in my slow cooker?

Yes, I posted a recipe already for chicken tortilla soup.

You could also make lentil soup or any number of bean soups with it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Literally any soup you can make in a crock pot will work with the chicken stock you made.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
When to use a crock pot:
Ever had a braise, stew or curry cooked in the oven or on a stovetop that was good, and thought the re-heated leftovers the next day tasted even better?
That's when you use a crockpot in the first place, for even betterer.
For some simpler flavour combination stews I prefer oven braising or a pressure cooker, eg simple things like lamb in stock, ham hocks, pork in milk, bean dishes and home made stock.
But beef in beer (bastard carbonnade) , beef in red wine (bastard boeuf bourguignon), chili and Indian lamb curries are especially better in a crockpot as they have complex flavours that get better with age.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Gaz2k21 posted:

is there anything easy and relatively healthy I can use the stock for that I can cook in my slow cooker?
You can sub chicken stock for water and it will be better 99% of the time. But rather than use it in the crock pot, save it for the next time you make pasta. Use 50/50 (homemade) stock and water, you'll be amazed at how much better the pasta tastes.

Sharkface
Apr 20, 2002
Carnitas:

1) Dry a pork shoulder w/ a paper towel and trim off the fat as best you can..

2) mix some black pepper, salt, cumin and corriander up and rub it into the pork. I use a 1:1 ratio for all of these, but adjust to your taste..

3) You need to really sear the sides of the pork shoulder, so put oil in a pan or in your slow cooker insert and throw pretty high heat at it for 10 minutes a side.

4) The cooking liquid can vary. Some people use orange juice, some people use soda, some use beer.. I use apple cider vinegar because my family enjoys the american/mexican fusion it creates. You dont need very much, maybe a little over a half inch on the bottom of the slow cooker. I usually chop up some garlic and throw it in too.

5) Set it low and cook it for 8 hours.

6) when its done, shred it w/ a fork.

Serve it with rice, beans and salsa (regular or verde will work).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gaz2k21 posted:

one good idea for your chicken stock would be to cook eggs!

this is unconventional, but works!!

• heat chicken stock in slow cooker
  • put egg (in shell! this step is important) into slow cooker
  • remove 45m later. eggs are cooked, and chicken stock can be reused!

hope this one helps, it is a favorite of mine.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 7, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
mindphlux can the shells be reused too?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

mindphlux can the shells be reused too?

yes you can
  • a. use a coffee grinder to grind them into eggshell-flour (good as a gluten free option)
  • b. put them in your compost pile or garden!!! they are excellent at keeping away harmful pests like ladybugs and crickets and make excellent compost (their sharp shells dig handy airholes in your compost via osmosis, allowing beneficial root structures to flourish!)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

• a. use a coffee grinder to grind them into eggshell-flour (good as a gluten free option)

Please do not give the gluten-free zealots any ideas

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Mindphlux has some very strong opinions about what appliances strangers have in their kitchens.

I use my crockpot for two things, really with any regularity.

1. Chilis/shredded beef. Don't you bring that weak-rear end Hormel poo poo in here.
2. Overnight oatmeal sometimes in the winter when I want hot breakfast before work.

I used to make pulled pork in it but now I have a smoker so gently caress that bland poo poo.

I've heard they make decent rice cookers, but never succeeded in that.

Don't hate on crockpots totally, though. Everything has its place and a use. They are also inarguably more energy efficient than running you're oven for hours to braise something to serve two people, though.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 10, 2016

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I've made chili in my crockpot twice in the last two weeks and it's come out really awesome both times

I keep forgetting to take a picture but it looks like chili

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
1kg lovely joint of w/e the gently caress you want.

Rub it down with salt/pepper/insert w/e depending on meat.

Quick sear and dump it in the crock pot.

1 cup of beef/chicken stock for w/e meat you decided on.

Pile of carrots and shallots. Few bay leaves, rosemary sprigs w/e you want. Come back in 6-8 hours.

The juice is amazing for gravy (bit of corn flour if you like thick gravy) and the meat is great. Just leave it to stand for 10mins so it's easier to cut without it crumbling.

Add w/e else you like with it. Roast potatoes, peas etc.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I made enchilada chicken to fill enchilada's with.

Used this recipe from the internet:
code:
2 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup chili powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste (optional)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Blend chicken broth, tomatoes, chili powder, flour, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne pepper in a blender until smooth.
Put chicken breast in bottom of a slow cooker; pour blended enchilada sauce over the chicken.
Cook on Low 8 to 9 hours (or 4 to 6 hours on High). Shred the chicken with 2 large forks and stir into the sauce.
However, being from Europe, there was no chili powder available here or I was being directed to chili-pepper powder and I had a feeling that in this quantity that would be a bad idea.
So I looked up chili powder recipes:
code:
    2 tablespoons paprika
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin
    1 1⁄4 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1⁄4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
Wait a minute, that seems like it adds only some cayenne pepper and paprika, an onion and some more garlic.

So to make the sauce I tossed in a blender, until smooth:
two table spoons of paprika (powder, smoked (dont do this, use normal))
some oregano
a bunch of cumin, like 3 teaspoons
4 cloves of garlic
an onion in a few pieces
a pint of mushroom broth from cubes (out of chicken)
can of diced tomatoes
two large tablespoons of flour
some salt
some cayenne pepper and ground spanish pepper flakes and a few drops of tabasco, very yummy all.

Put in 9 chicken tits and then the sauce and stirred and then some 5 hours on low until the chicken fell apart. Shredded the chicken and put it back in the sauce. Next time will use normal paprika and two more so the final product isnt so sloshy and the chicken to sauce amount is more to my liking.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Keetron posted:

I made enchilada chicken to fill enchilada's with.

Used this recipe from the internet:
code:
2 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup chili powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste (optional)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Blend chicken broth, tomatoes, chili powder, flour, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne pepper in a blender until smooth.
Put chicken breast in bottom of a slow cooker; pour blended enchilada sauce over the chicken.
Cook on Low 8 to 9 hours (or 4 to 6 hours on High). Shred the chicken with 2 large forks and stir into the sauce.
However, being from Europe, there was no chili powder available here or I was being directed to chili-pepper powder and I had a feeling that in this quantity that would be a bad idea.
So I looked up chili powder recipes:
code:
    2 tablespoons paprika
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin
    1 1⁄4 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1⁄4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
Wait a minute, that seems like it adds only some cayenne pepper and paprika, an onion and some more garlic.

So to make the sauce I tossed in a blender, until smooth:
two table spoons of paprika (powder, smoked (dont do this, use normal))
some oregano
a bunch of cumin, like 3 teaspoons
4 cloves of garlic
an onion in a few pieces
a pint of mushroom broth from cubes (out of chicken)
can of diced tomatoes
two large tablespoons of flour
some salt
some cayenne pepper and ground spanish pepper flakes and a few drops of tabasco, very yummy all.

Put in 9 chicken tits and then the sauce and stirred and then some 5 hours on low until the chicken fell apart. Shredded the chicken and put it back in the sauce. Next time will use normal paprika and two more so the final product isnt so sloshy and the chicken to sauce amount is more to my liking.

After you remove and shred the chicken, I'd recommend dumping the sauce into a pan and reducing it to a thickness and quantity of your liking.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Keetron posted:

Do you have access to dried chile peppers? Because that's basically all you need for enchilada sauce. You take the seeds & stems out, simmer them in stock until soft, and then puree (you can then add crema or sour cream for yum... and onions/garlic, etc.). Btw, enchilada just means "to enrobe in chile." :D

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 12, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mindphlux posted:

A crock pot heats an enclosed ceramic bowl to a low temperature, for a prolonged period of time. Crock pots are great at that.

What I was attempting to get at is : there are not many parts of cooking for which 'a ceramic bowl at a low prolonged temperature' benefits any recipe or process.

braises are good examples of a process that might benefit re: ease of use, but for a good braise, you should be browning your meat before braising, so it makes much more sense to use a dutch oven or cast iron or something you can crank heat on for the browning process. otherwise you are dirtying a pan just to scrape it off and deglaze into a crock pot - which totally defeats the "ease of use" or whatever that a crockpot promises.

you can also just dump a bunch of raw ground beef and canned tomatoes into a crockpot, and end up with a grey bland mass of something on par with a processed can of soup, but why bother even cooking? canned stews taste great! and take 1/10th the effort!

not at all uppity, just don't want to see my fellow goons spending 45 minutes of their valuable time dumping poo poo in a crockpot, when they could just be opening a can and tucking right in to a delicious meal.

I do almost all of my cooking on Sunday for the entire week. The oven can get pretty busy for most of the day on other recipes at higher temps so its nice to do a braise in the crockpot instead. Also, when I lived in a tiny apartment in Texas, using the crockpot instead of running a hot oven in an already super hot place wasn't a good idea or energy efficient due to blasting the AC and the oven at the same time. So, there are multiple good reasons for them that work for many people. No reason not to shoot for higher quality cooking though.

I make a beef and barley stew in mine that works great. Basically I start with my dutch oven, put it on medium-high heat on the range, throw in a 3-4 lb chuck roast and sear it brown and crispy on all sides. I take the browned roast and toss that into the crockpot on the "low" setting. Next to the hot dutch oven that is now full of oil and fond from the beef I add 1lb of coarsely sliced mushrooms (just whites are fine), toss a few pinches of salt onto them and stir once to get some oil on them then let them sit and cook until they release their liquid and shrink up some. I dump this into the crockpot on top of the roast. Next to the dutch oven I add in 2tbls of butter and 2 chopped onions and another pinch of salt. I cook this down until the onions brown up and at least start to carmelize then add 3 stalks of chopped celery. After the celery starts to soften I add 4-5 cloves of crushed garlic and cook until fragrant then 1 bottle of cheap red wine and reduce that to 1/3 of its volume. I dump all of this into the crockpot along with 1 cup of pearl barley and 2 cups of stock (chicken or whatever you have on hand works fine). Mix this, add black pepper, a couple bay leaves and thyme and let it sit for ~3-4 hours. After that I add 5-6 chopped carrots and let cook for another 2-3 hours until the meat starts coming apart easily and the carrots are soft. Then I add a handful of chopped parsley and salt / pepper to taste.

The barley ends up cooking down nicely and gives the whole stew this great velvety texture and the grains soak up a lot of nice flavor on their own. You can also add a cup or so of frozen peas at the end which works well too. I add in the carrots about halfway through because putting them in early ends up with really mushy carrots that come apart when you're stirring up everything to break the beef up into chunks.

It sounds like a lot of work but honestly if you chop up your mirepoix and mushrooms beforehand it's really simple and you're basically dumping one thing into the dutch oven then rapidly to the crockpot and repeating that until everything is in there then you can spend the rest of the day doing other things. I can probably get the entire thing done and in the cooker in 30-40 mins.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I bought a six-liter slow cooker recently, after marathoning the Blue Story thread. I do feel a bit guilty for using a shortcut, but it's going to save my life on days when I don't get home until after seven. It's nice sitting down to a hot meal that I don't have to cook after a twelve-hour day.

Vaguely Moroccan Chicken Stew (apologies for inexact quantities; I never measure this)

Chicken parts of your choice (I used breasts because that was easiest for me.)
One large zucchini
One smallish eggplant
Two tomatoes
One onion
6-7 cloves of garlic
~1/3 cup green olives with brine.
Two red peppers
ras-el-hanout or any concatenation of the appropriate spices (I used cinnamon, oregano, cumin, and bit of turmeric in my last batch)
Golden raisins (if you want...I don't like raisins, but I imagine they would be good in this.)
Juice of 1 small lemon
Olive oil

Chop all the planty bits. Add a glug of olive oil to the pot, then dump the onions and garlic in first, then the eggplants, then the chicken breasts, then spices, then the rest. I cooked this on Low for nine hours, but you could likely do it in less. Once you get home, open the lid and add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Stir; the chicken should fall apart if you so much as look at it. Eat it alone or with a side of couscous, rice, bread, and/or yogurt.

You could easily replace the chicken with another meat, I think. Anyways. I like it!

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 30, 2016

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I just made this and it turned out fantastic.
Though I substituted lamb for the chicken breast, also I used carrot instead of eggplant and zuchinni.
Like you I used my own spice mix, using the same but adding ginger, chilli and ground coriander.
Didn't have any olives so I skipped them.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Fo3 posted:

I just made this and it turned out fantastic.
Though I substituted lamb for the chicken breast, also I used carrot instead of eggplant and zuchinni.
Like you I used my own spice mix, using the same but adding ginger, chilli and ground coriander.
Didn't have any olives so I skipped them.

Rad! I'm gonna try yours next, if I can find lamb!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Also works OK with beef though you'd skip the lemon and raisins or any "fruity" ingredient.

Beef recipe:
Do goons like coconut and dry malaysian beef dishes?
Can't say how long you can cook this one, ~7hrs works but can't leave it unmonitored because it's going to end up dry, maybe too dry.
Can chuck in a diced potato or two about 3hrs before serve time (handy if you add too much tamarind concentrate like I did last time I cooked this (added 1 Tbsp and was too sour. Tamarind concentrate like I have is a lot stronger than tamarind puree that recipes call for), and adding the potato helped with the sourness and worked well in stretching out the serves anyway)

Beef rendang slow cook

Ingredients
700g-1kg chuck/stew beef, cut into 3 cm cubes
1 cup (90 g) unsweetened desiccated coconut, or fresh grated if you're lucky/not a poor
250 ml (1 cup) coconut milk (freeze the rest for a thai curry or something later)
125 ml (½ cup) water
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves or 1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 star anise pods
3 cardamom pods
2 tsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp palm sugar
1-2 tsp tamarind paste concentrate (optional – really recommended; or less concentrated puree 1 Tbsp, or even 1/4 cup strained pulp if not a poor)
1–2 tbsp thick dark soy sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp salt

Spice paste:
3-6 dried long chillies, soaked in hot water until soft (cutting/deseeding optional)
5 shallots (meh, I used 2 small-med red/spanish onions, diced)
5 garlic cloves, finely diced or crushed
3 cm piece of ginger, chopped
3cm peice galangal
2 white parts of lemongrass*
3Tbs- 4 Tbsp Malaysian rendang or "meat" curry powder

Directions:

Add the spice paste ingredients together and mix/grind/blend into a paste (using some of the chilli soaking water to help it mix), set aside.
Lightly dry toast the coconut, set aside.
Heat oil in a pan, brown the beef (in batches if necessary to get them brown but not overcooked) and remove
Fry the cinnamon, cloves, star anise and cardamom and then return beef to the pan.
Add the mixed spice paste ingredients and further fry.
Add the coconut milk, optional tamarind and some of the 1/2 cup water if needed, stir to mix. Add the ground coconut, fish sauce and sugar, stirring to blend

Simmer 2-4 hrs until tender, or transfer to a preheated slow cooker on low 7hrs and the sauce has dried up. Pull out the cinnamon stick and fish out cloves, star anise any cardamom pods you can easily find. Add soy sauce just before serving (optional. Don't use a sweet soy like a kecap manis, a less sweet Thai dark soy is OK imo)

Notes: I'm lazy and didn't get fresh lemongrass and galangal, but I had a locally made curry powder that has it in there. Look for a Malaysian curry powder with them, go without or use fresh I guess.

You have to like coconut a lot to make this, and you need the chilli heat and tamarind sourness to balance the sweetness of coconut IMO

For a quick, simpler Malay beef dish look up "black beef nasi kandar"

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 30, 2016

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I made this yesterday and it is loving awesome

http://fitmencook.com/slow-cooker-chicken-quinoa-tortilla-soup/

It's cool because I can prep it, eat breakfast, go work out and do stuff, get back, cook some other stuff for the week and then have two meals, 5 servings each ready to go for the week, or even 3 meals 5 servings each if I'm really industrious. It really helps in not spending a ton of money on unhealthy restaurant food while I'm at work, or being to lazy to cook when I get back from the gym

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I made "chile verde" today

half a large onion chopped + 3 minced cloves of garlic sauteed in oil, then 3lbs of cubed pork shoulder thrown in the pan until browned

threw all of that into a crock pot, covered it in a couple of those jars of goya brand salsa verde (this is sounding really close to "salsa chicken" :ohdear: ), a couple of diced jalapenos, and a can of stewed tomatillos. I threw in a tablespoon of cumin and two more of chili powder for good measure. cooked it on high for two hours and low for three. It seems pretty good, the pork is really tender.

It's for a game of D&D tomorrow. last time we smoked ribs, which took like 4 loving hours. I want to show up, turn the crock pot on and everyone can eat like half an hour later

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Two questions from a newbie to the world of slow cooking

1) I have a new instant pot that I believe can do both slow cooking and pressure cooking. Is there anything I should be aware of when trying to convert a slow cooking recipe to a pressure cooking one? My guess is that pressure cooking will retail more liquid so I will cut down on the stock a bit.

2) What is the danger of overcooking pork shoulder? I've been googling around a bit and have seen wildly varying times recommend for cooking on low for the standard ginger ale recipe. Some recommend 8 hours on low, others 12 hours on low, others 12 hours on low + another 4-6 hours after shredding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
my sister and mom both have used an instant pot to cook shredded pork, it takes like 90 minutes total

I think they used this video for instruction, basically you put a rub on it, sear it, cook it for 80 minutes, and shred it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoAzF8fiA2w

• Locked thread