Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
I got my first ever crock pot recipe from goons about 10 years ago and still use it now. Take a pork shoulder and pack it densely in a shell of brown sugar. Dump worchestershire (sp.?) sauce over the top of it until it pools up about 1/8" deep in the bottom of the crock. Throw in 2-3 sliced jalapenos. Cook on low for a really long time. It forks up into the absolute best pulled pork in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

mindphlux posted:

I just disagree about the 'having other poo poo going on' being an excuse bit. you make time for what you think is worth spending time on.

I run two businesses, work 10 hour days on average, my wife does the same hour wise, and we still devote 2 hours to connect and cook dinner at least 3-4 nights a week.

we don't have kids, but if we did, I'm 78% confident what would give would be the work part - not the cooking part.

anyways, I'm not making GBS threads on it in terms of 'crock pot vs hungry man' - but just saying there are ways to make good non-crockpot food with very very little prep time. I just think using pots and pans as opposed to crock pots differs very little in terms of time spent cooking, and the former skews your chances of actually making something tasty in a very positive direction.

still, again, crock pots are fine. they make food. if that's what works for you, use a crock pot. no judgement. I should probably use one myself.

Did you mean to imply that 10 hours was a lot?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oh my look at your >10 hour workday cock.

Captain, breasts are not good for a crock pot.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Boof Bonser posted:

I got my first ever crock pot recipe from goons about 10 years ago and still use it now. Take a pork shoulder and pack it densely in a shell of brown sugar. Dump worchestershire (sp.?) sauce over the top of it until it pools up about 1/8" deep in the bottom of the crock. Throw in 2-3 sliced jalapenos. Cook on low for a really long time. It forks up into the absolute best pulled pork in the world.

Is the whole sugar and pork shoulder thing really that good? I can't get over those recipes that say coke or dr. pepper when it comes to a ham, so putting sugar on meat just doesn't compute to me. I can't get over my hangup that sweet and savoury don't belong together. :negative:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Theophany posted:

Is the whole sugar and pork shoulder thing really that good? I can't get over those recipes that say coke or dr. pepper when it comes to a ham, so putting sugar on meat just doesn't compute to me. I can't get over my hangup that sweet and savoury don't belong together. :negative:

Do you like bottled BBQ sauce or BBQ sauces at fast food places? They're like 30% sugar or something. If you put BBQ sauce on pork, you've already done the sugar+pork thing. Besides, in this recipe, the sugar essentially just helps make the delicious liquid in the pot. De-fat it and make an amazing BBQ sauce with it for the pork.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

Theophany posted:

I was skeptical when I first read the recipe on here way back when, but honestly it is pretty delicious. I like to dice up some cabbage with red onion to throw on top just to give it a little crunch and make sandwiches on warm rolls.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Theophany posted:

Can't speak for others but for that recipe yes. The abundant vinegar along with the sugar balance out nicely in the end and if you throw in some onions and garlic with it you can take all that out and blend it up / add some salt and any other seasonings you like and you'll have a nice BBQ sauce to toss back in with the meat.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I think I did a pork shoulder crock pot recipe that was OK. I think it was the same one but if it isn't it's similar, ie rub the meat in salt and spices, then cover in brown sugar, lay on a bed of onions with some vinegar, worcestershire and stock. Cook until you can pull it.
Reduce liquid until it's a BBQ sauce consistency.

Doing a lamb slow cook meal right now, slightly different to any Indian korma curry or morrocan style. More basic, uses chops instead of diced shoulder, uses less spices, more vinegar/wine and tomato/western tastes.
As usual lamb or particularly lamb fat is strong in flavour, needs something acidic to cut through it. With my korma I use greek style yogurt, with my morocan style I use orange and fennel and other dried fruits. With this one I use lentils on the side with a vinaigrette or plenty of lemon.

I'm cooking it right now for the first time using a slow cooker, I normally cook it in the oven for 1.5hr. Last night I was even going to have a go cooking it in a pressure cooker for the first time, but I went to bed sick and skipped dinner. Just in case I feel like poo poo again this evening I thought I may as well give it a go in the slow cooker so at least someone may get a meal tonight - they've only got to roast some butternut squash/pumpkin and an onion to finish the lentil sides.

Braised lamb forequarter chops

Ingredients:
4 chops (1 per serve) up to 8 chops (2 per serve) - These chops are going to be tender and fall off the bone into 2 pieces each easily, so IMO 6 chops plenty to serve 4 people..
2 onions, sliced radially
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 carrots, roughly chopped
½ cup red wine or 2 Tblsp red wine vinegar
2 cups chicken, vegetable or beef stock. Beef is better if using red wine, chicken OK with red wine vinegar
¼ cup (approx) flour
2 sprigs rosemary
3 sprigs thyme
½ cup tomato passata/strained tomatoes, or 2 Tblsp paste
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
optional cardamom pod
oil as needed
salt and pepper

Directions;
season flour

Heat up fry pan to med heat
Stand up chops with two tongs as a group on their fatty side in the fry pan to render fat off .
Once most fat rendered off, remove from pan and lay out into a board.
Dust seasoned flour over one side and turn over, dust again.

Turn fry pan heat to high. Fry chops off two at a time for 30sec each side until slightly browned, and set aside each one until all done.
If pan has burned flour then rinse and clean/re-oil

Fry onion, garlic and carrot in fry pan until softened/coloured.

Add tomato pasata/paste and sugar, then wine/vinegar, cook stirring 2min.

Deglaze pan with stock, add 1/2 -1 t salt (less if using salted stock), 1/2 tsp pepper, add rosemary sprigs , bay leaves and cinnamon, return chops to mix.

Transfer into dutch oven and cook 1.5-2hrs in the oven or put in preheated slow cooker for 7 hrs on low. (E; I still haven't worked out the pressure cook time, the internet said 10-12 min but I think that's way too short to have the meat falling off the bone like 1.5hr in the oven does. Any goons know?)

Remove meat from dish, remove bay leaves, rosemary and thyme sprig stems and cinnamon stick.

Reduce liquid/sauce in a frypan until thickened (optional - add a roux or cornflour slurry if needed)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 22, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Boof Bonser posted:

Did you mean to imply that 10 hours was a lot?

yeah, kinda like you implied this poo poo thread about ramen had content, or that "packing a pork shoulder densely in a shell of brown sugar and throwing it in a crockpot" constitutes "the absolute best pulled pork in the world."

but keep on postin' forums poster "boof bonser", keep on postin'

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

yeah, kinda like you implied this poo poo thread about ramen had content, or that "packing a pork shoulder densely in a shell of brown sugar and throwing it in a crockpot" constitutes "the absolute best pulled pork in the world."

Did your mother refuse to say I love you or something?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Captainsalami posted:

Got a free sack of frozen chicken breasts somehow. Anything i can do with these in the crock pot? i've got a good selection of spices. Would like something i can do with this chicken rice i made, maybe some burritos?

Chicken breasts don't really hold up in the crock pot very well. They tend to disintegrate or get really mushy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Croatoan posted:

Did your mother refuse to say I love you or something?

I think phlux runs a food court or something

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I am going to make the best loving restaurant owner when I finally decide to piss all my savings away, given my basic competency and IT skills.

mindphlux posted this in earnest, and also reported a post from 2015 and got banned for it lol

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

mindphlux posted:

I'm definitely not a great cook man, but next time you want to make an "I work crazy hours and I have time to spend two hours preparing meals" you should probably at least lie and claim that you work more than 50 hours a week, which is basically normal-to-low for any white collar profession.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

That Works posted:

I think phlux runs a food court or something
Lol if dude spends 50 hours a week manning a hot dog on a stick I guess I see where the bitterness comes from.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I have an instant pot and the bones from a costco rotisserie chicken. How much water should I use to make a stock?

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Virtue posted:

I have an instant pot and the bones from a costco rotisserie chicken. How much water should I use to make a stock?

I've used up to 6, depending on how big your crock pot is. I've also had decent luck making a second (weaker) batch of broth with the same bones with carrots, onions and celery.

Edit: just noticed you said instant pot. Not sure if that would still work, but it might!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Salsa chicken, but with kimchi instead of salsa.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Salsa chicken, but with kimchi instead of salsa.

Don't put chicken in crockpots.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Don't tell me how to live my life!

fake edit: I know, I know, but sometimes you just gotta do poo poo that's inadvisable. And it honestly tasted pretty good.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Don't tell me how to live my life!

fake edit: I know, I know, but sometimes you just gotta do poo poo that's inadvisable. And it honestly tasted pretty good.

How long would you cook this abomination? It sounds delicious.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

not_superiority posted:

How long would you cook this abomination? It sounds delicious.

I would say probably no more than six hours if you can help it, but I've done it for eight on low and it was all right. However long you're meant to put it in for the salsa chicken recipe posted earlier.

As a recovering vegetarian, chicken is the most daunting meat for me to cook and handle because I'm always terrified of not cooking it enough. I actually like the shredded texture the slow cooker gives chicken, and I like it because I'm like :byodame: IT'S SAFE TO EAT!!!!!!!!!!

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 9, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Chicken thighs are ok for this :colbert:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BraveUlysses posted:

Chicken thighs are ok for this :colbert:

Especially cheap stewer grade chicken thighs. Friers just turn to mush.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

As a recovering vegetarian, chicken is the most daunting meat for me to cook and handle because I'm always terrified of not cooking it enough. I actually like the shredded texture the slow cooker gives chicken, and I like it because I'm like :byodame: IT'S SAFE TO EAT!!!!!!!!!!

Get a meat thermometer and try roasting a whole fryer, that's where the magic is!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's pretty rare to get sick off chicken if you actually try to cook it at all, and believe me I've eaten so horrifically undercooked chicken.

All you really need to do is check the meat close to the bone - if it's still oozing red, it's possibly undercooked.

I mean I err on the side of caution however I've also eaten a lot of badly cooked chicken (half frozen thighs tossed onto a BBQ kind of undercooked) and never gotten ill in my entire life from it.

But chicken is still gross and dirty, and if you put it in a crock it will be fully cooked because you are aiming for that "falls apart into meat fibers" texture if you put chicken into a crockpot (some bbq and mustard etc makes for some wicked pulled chicken sandwich meat)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So what I'm getting from this is that bone-in chicken thighs will fall off the bone after slow cooking? Because thighs are cheap, but having to get the meat off the bone means I never use them.

I hate cooking most of the time, so it would be nice to be able to toss something in at the beginning of the day and come home to food rather than exhaustion and a hungry wife.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Slow cookers are good tools so long as you treat them as a tool and not THE tool. The whole "when you have a hammer everything starts to look like a nail" syndrome.

I made some pretty drat good lentils for cheap work lunches. This recipe made enough for two circular takeout containers (the quart size, I think, or whatever a large chicken with black bean sauce comes in) which with some rice (go FULL SLOW COOKING and use your rice cooker if you're ADTRWish or just have a good rice cooker) make lunches for a few weeks.

2 cups split red lentils
1 10oz box frozen chopped spinach, thawed (I also added around a half a bag of baby spinach that was probably going to go south soon, all chopped up)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 shallot
4 cloves garlic
4 cups chicken broth or stock (or veggie if you wanna be vegan)
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp kosher salt (I use low-sodium broth/stock so less if you're using normal)
Cayenne pepper to taste
2 tsp black mustard seeds

Dice the shallot and garlic, put them on the bottom.

Mix everything else together in a large bowl and pour over the aromatics.

Low on 8 hours.

Add some extra garam masala.

Stir.

Good stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that bone-in chicken thighs will fall off the bone after slow cooking?

Yes

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cool. That basically cuts my meat prices in half for whatever I put in the crock pot.

Getting all sorts of ideas from Budget Bytes.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Cool. That basically cuts my meat prices in half for whatever I put in the crock pot.

Getting all sorts of ideas from Budget Bytes.

TBH, any way you cook bone-in chicken thighs the skin will basically fall off the bone. It's a fatty cut that generally ends up tender and delicious every time. It's a very forgiving protein.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

coyo7e posted:

It's pretty rare to get sick off chicken if you actually try to cook it at all, and believe me I've eaten so horrifically undercooked chicken.

All you really need to do is check the meat close to the bone - if it's still oozing red, it's possibly undercooked.

I mean I err on the side of caution however I've also eaten a lot of badly cooked chicken (half frozen thighs tossed onto a BBQ kind of undercooked) and never gotten ill in my entire life from it.

But chicken is still gross and dirty, and if you put it in a crock it will be fully cooked because you are aiming for that "falls apart into meat fibers" texture if you put chicken into a crockpot (some bbq and mustard etc makes for some wicked pulled chicken sandwich meat)

Thank you for letting me peep these chickentips!

I err on the side of extreme caution because a) I am idiot as explained above, and b) Since I live in China, I'm extremely wary about food safety in my house (because there isn't much I can do outside the house.) So far, I've only had food poisoning twice, and once was my fault, so I feel like I'm doing okay.

not_superiority posted:

Get a meat thermometer and try roasting a whole fryer, that's where the magic is!

This ooks me less than chicken breasts out of the package. Dunno why. :stare: But I agree, roasting a whole chicken is the greatest thing ever and they really should have taught me that in Home Ec, rather than how to make doughnuts or whatever stupid poo poo we did.

Mom Party
Dec 12, 2015
Here's some cheap and tasty stuff

6-7 Potatoes- diced up
2 carrots, chopped
1 med onion, chopped
4 cups water
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
8 oz heavy whipping cream

optional - cheese, bacon, chives ect. - I just add however much I feel like.

Pretty much just dump it all in and cook on low for like 6 hours.

Chicken Courdon Bleu Casserole
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes (or 4 thighs)
1 can cream of chicken
1 cup milk
1 box Chicken Stovetop Stuffing
6 (approx.) slices deli ham (some people like honey ham, but I think it's gross)
6 (approx.) slices swiss cheese
2 Tbsp. butter, cut into lots of pieces
Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

Put the chicken in the bottom of the pot - Mix up the cream of chicken and milk and dump it in - Add seasonings
Layer up that ham - Cook stuffing as per instructions on box- Layer that on top of the ham-
add your butter chunks and cook in LOW for 4-6 hours - UNCOVER for about 20-30 minutes to thicken then add those cheese slices and eat up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Thank you for letting me peep these chickentips!

I err on the side of extreme caution because a) I am idiot as explained above, and b) Since I live in China, I'm extremely wary about food safety in my house (because there isn't much I can do outside the house.) So far, I've only had food poisoning twice, and once was my fault, so I feel like I'm doing okay.

This ooks me less than chicken breasts out of the package. Dunno why. :stare: But I agree, roasting a whole chicken is the greatest thing ever and they really should have taught me that in Home Ec, rather than how to make doughnuts or whatever stupid poo poo we did.
I feel ya there. Chicken is kind of an all-or-nothing proposition in a slow cooker though - either you're around to watch it and take it out, or it's going to be meat fibers which you'll probably wanna mush into some sauce or something. Thighs have a ton of bones and fat in them as well, which means the meat will be juicer, more flavorfull, and if you save the bones you can make stock!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Un-stuffed cabbage.

- One half-head of cabbage, shredded
- One small to medium onion, finely chopped
- One pound ground beef, browned
- One cup of rice, partially cooked
- One can crushed tomatoes
- Two cloves garlic, minced
- Salt, pepper, Old Bay and hot sauce to taste

Put a thick layer of cabbage in the bottom of the crock pot. Layer browned beef on top, set crock pot on low and allow everything to begin to soften and cook down. At the same time, begin cooking one cup of white or basmati rice, but do not cook fully. Layer the par-cooked rice over the beef. Add remaining ingredients (garlic, onion, seasonings, hot sauce -- I also like to add chipotle ketchup), then cover with crushed tomatoes. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours, then consume ... then consume some more. Because it's that good.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Used the crock pot for the first time in ages since the grocery store was selling beef rib "boneless fingers" (it's the meat between beef ribs) for cheap.

Chili Con Carne time! Rough process (since i didn't follow a recipe):

Spice mix: Cumin, garlic, onion, mustard, pepper, paprika, oregano, (maybe something else that I've forgotten.)

Trim the (~3lbs) meat of any silver skin and cut up to large chunks.

Sear the meat in cast iron pan, toss in spice mix, put in crock pot.

Add 2c of stock (1 beef, 1 veg) to pan to get more flavour bits, then put in crock pot.

Dice a couple of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and add to pot.

Come back in ~4 hours when thickened and breaking apart, spoon over rice, and use some sourdough toast to mop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I had a bunch of errands to run today, so I busted out the slow cooker and made this: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017937-mississippi-roast

You can easily half that butter. It is way too greasy as listed.
I added in a little bit of beer. But the liquid and grease ratio was off. If I wasn't running out, I could have dumped the sauce into a pan to reduce it.
I seared the hell out of it in the cast iron before cooking, salt, pepper, and flour. I should have hacked it up slightly so I could get more seared ends.
The peppers basically turn to nothing. I think adding them in halfway through would have provided better texture. I also added jarred pepperoncinis for more vinegar.

• Locked thread