Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I'll play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Hey everybody. I'm a miller.

BottleKnight posted:

then there's no reason to believe it's not an NK.

Eh, I'm falling on the other side of the argument on this one - regular old vig is a pretty standard role and judging by my own role I'm guessing it's a pretty standard game. It's testable tonight, in any case.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

MG3 posted:

You're a miller? What's your flavor?

Everyone in the wagon train is more suspicious of me because I'm a black man in 1800's America.

Infinitum posted:

This is the worst joke phase.

Boo everyone

zzz

What joke phase?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

##vote FL

Not feeling it.

Apparently I should have just stayed in Independence. :/

Seriously, though, I am pretty sure it's not meant to be funny flavor. Historically accurate flavor, though? Yeah.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ninth spoke up. "Voting out a fellow traveler simply because of his darker skin is not very becoming of us settlers. I thought we were striving to create a new society out in the unspoiled wilderness, not merely perpetuating the barbarism of the South."

TNL your posting style has been a lot of fun to read. Where did you get the unscrupulous businessmen thing for scum flavor? I didn't get any explicit flavor stuff about it and on reread of the OP it seemed like a little bit of a jump from the given flavor to your post.

One thing I noticed so far that has stood out: BK seems really engaged this game, and he's been making interesting points wrt imgay (even if I don't agree) which makes me think he's town. It feels a lot different than the last game I played with him, where he felt less immediately involved and active in thread, and was scum. (That was Generic Mafia, for those keeping score at home - a game from late last month).

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Leatherman

Things that I'm usually suspicious of in the early game:

(a) town reads
(b) politeness
(c) taking jokeposts or insignificant details too seriously

And I feel like Leatherman is doing all three here.

Lol I have been accused of excessive politeness in close to 100% of the games of mafia that I have played on the something awful forums, thank you for keeping my ratio high there.

As for insignificant details/joke posts, I disagree; while TNL's posting is certainly flavorful, it's not necessarily jokephasey, and the flavor stuff stuck out to me as being significantly more specific than anything that I could see in the flavor stuff I have so far.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

BottleKnight posted:

Oh that's true. Did ninth ever respond to that? If so I missed it.

yeah, in a short post basically saying it's speculation

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
We're three and a half hours from deadline, I think. Should probably figure out what we're doing d1.

iajanus is bothering me because he's barely posted enough to avoid dysentery, and those posts are pretty empty of any meaning.

Infinitum bothers me more, though, because a lot of his posts feel like they're just trying to extend jokephase after the rest of the game had moved on to actually playing the game, or are acting like they're contributing without actually doing much. I don't like it, it feels like posts generated for the sake of a postcount without actually providing content.

##vote: Infinitum

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
##Vote: infinitum again, but iajanus's posts are not making me feel any better about them.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Infinitum's flavor claim is not one that I believe, and the justification was extraordinarily weak (this and this). The fact that he's still alive today instead of wins is honestly baffling if he's really a town PR. I'd vote him again today, but I'm not going to put him at -1 with 11 hours left.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Murmur Twin posted:

My personal opinion is that Kash sounds scummier than Infinitum. I can't think of any reason to post "wasn't even attempted" (which is something that is implied by nature of someone else being NKed) from comes from a town perspective. My take on it is that that second post was Kash showing us that (a) he's more interested in killing Infinitum than hunting scum and (b) that he is familiar with the thought process scum used to choose an NK target. I also think Kash's general tone (overconfidence) feels inappropriate for D2.

Just out of curiosity (and lack of desire to go back and look), is there anyone who doesn't think Infinitum is scum? I don't think I've ever seen a situation in Mafia where everyone unanimously agreed on someone and they ended up being anything other than town.

I can't tell if it's just a matter of Kash and I playing Mafia differently but I don't think I've ever been as sure of a D1 read as Kash is claiming to be.

I don't know where you're getting your point B from. I don't think there's any insight into the thought process there, just pointing out that if there was no NK last night, then there'd be at least an argument for an attempt being made on Infinitum and it being blocked.

Regardless, I'm not sure of where you're going with "if everyone agrees that Infinitum is scum, he's probably town". Could you explain what your reasoning is behind that? I'd think scum would be just as likely to bus a teammate under heavy suspicion as to vote for a townie in this situation.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I like TNL's posting much less today than I did yesterday, looking back. It's content-light (although it is entertainment-heavy!), the businessmen thing is still weird (hey non-flavor TNL, was that a serious thing?), and his post today was...bizarre. Unfamiliarity with the posters is all well and good, but that shouldn't prevent you from saying "this guy looks scummy from an objective perspective". I don't think it's necessary to have a meta read on everyone that you case. His words on Infinitum are also weird to me because I can't see a reason for the ambiguity. What changed between the end of overtime and today that would sway your opinion from "I wouldn't vote him" to "I'm on board with his lynch today"? TNL, were you just talking about D1 or would you not have voted him in overtime (after his claim) either?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I don't think MT is scum. The defense was so blatant and the overtime vote swing was equally blatant. I think scum wouldn't have tried that hard - too obvious.

Right now TNL is who I'm looking at. Can't help noticing that there were some wealthy backers behind infinitum...an odd coincidence! Plus, their filter is still empty of cases.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Revolver Anidav posted:

Infinitum wasn't even a jailer? If he made it all up he must have said imgay because he thought there was only a scum kill. Still a very risky move.

The way he expected imgay to back him up means there could be a mason recruiter. Or maybe just a letter-carrier who can send messages.

Disagree. When only one person died N1, I think it was a pretty good bet for Infinitum to say "yeah, I jailed you" because either imgay didn't do anything or he was roleblocked.

Also, Infinitum wouldn't have any info about the scum team - he wasn't in the scumdoc according to flip. The only way I see this working is with a letter writer and I'm not sold on that - it defeats the purpose of the traitor role if the traitor can be caught up on things every night.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I'm going to ##vote TNL for now per my previous post, but iajanus's vote and subsequent unvote yesterday look pretty fake in retrospect. PM ambiguity seems like an easy way to take your vote off a dude who you know is scum. Plus, if you look back, there's almost no content in the filter. It's all super vanilla and innocuous, a lot of his opinions (like the initial read on Infinitum and vote justification on Jedit) are mirroring someone else's thoughts that had already been posted, or going along with bandwagons that were pretty clearly building up steam.

This post is super sketchy too. It's disguised as content generation behind a BHB town read and two ambiguous reads (Infinitum and Magnus Gallant). It's actually a pretty big theme - he doesn't ever really feel comfortable committing to the Infinitum lynch, only voting D1 because "a no lynch only helps scum" and providing a ton of ambiguous stuff and wishy-washiness on D2.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Flying Leatherman posted:

I'm going to ##vote TNL for now per my previous post, but iajanus's vote and subsequent unvote yesterday look pretty fake in retrospect. PM ambiguity seems like an easy way to take your vote off a dude who you know is scum. Plus, if you look back, there's almost no content in the filter. It's all super vanilla and innocuous, a lot of his opinions (like the initial read on Infinitum and vote justification on Jedit) are mirroring someone else's thoughts that had already been posted, or going along with bandwagons that were pretty clearly building up steam.

This post is super sketchy too. It's disguised as content generation behind a BHB town read and two ambiguous reads (Infinitum and Magnus Gallant). It's actually a pretty big theme - he doesn't ever really feel comfortable committing to the Infinitum lynch, only voting D1 because "a no lynch only helps scum" and providing a ton of ambiguous stuff and wishy-washiness on D2.

So basically I'd vote him too.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Revolver Anidav posted:

imgay's role is not a standard town vig. Having to hammer a scumbro would be a fair price to pay before gaining an extra nightkill. Gaspy's Bruticus also gave scum an extra kill when they assembled together and dropped their other abilities.

If this were the case, wouldn't there have been at least one kill last night? I mean, I buy a doctor protect on one dude, but two successful protects is a stretch.

Unless you think he's scum and also not lying about being roleblocked.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Revolver Anidav posted:

I don't know what's going on with his role. I'm just trying to think of how he could have made it up or not. Kashuno jumping right on the traitor from D1 sounds too perfect if scum knew who he was. If Kashuno is scum, imgay sounds like scum with him. He threatened Kash but then said he changed his mind, and when he wasn't blocked he said he couldn't do it. Now he says he wanted to shoot Kash but was blocked. It just sounds fake somewhere, like Infinitum sounded fake.

Kash makes a big show D1 for town cred.

imgay makes a big show D1 of not being linked to Kash.

Whichever story we believe, we still get sold on their big song and dance. The only winning move is not to watch.

So why, if imgay was scum, would he not back Infinitum up on his claim D2? Keep in mind that in your scenario he would know Infinitum's the traitor.

There are too many holes in these theories for me.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

I'll consider it, I still think Kash is better for today.

iajanus has been making reads for what I think is the first time ever, maybe he's learning. Thinking town.

What reads? BHB is town? Mag is town?

Actually, iajanus, do you have any scum reads?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
iajanus's reply to me actually makes me feel a little better about them. When pressed like that, I'd expect scum to fabricate a couple reads. The response of "I don't really have much" seems honest, if...not good.

Anidav was pinging me a little bit just because of how off-the-wall his theories were regarding Inf's claim and imgay's reaction to it (letter writer? scum mason recruiter? :\ ), but I'm not sure if it's scummy or just bizarre.

While I'm here, I'll ##unvote. TNL still isn't saying anything of note and I'd still vote them, but I'm not gonna stay committed to what's essentially becoming more and more of a lurker lynch as time goes on when there are actual content cases to be made.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

MG3 posted:

Key: Player: Player who voted for them

Kashuno: anidav, imgay
Murmur Twin: Birdstrike, kash, TNL
MG3: bottleknight, venom soag

bk is voting birb, friend

I haven't proofread the rest but that one seemed off so I checked

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Here until deadline. Sorry, was a little preoccupied.

I guess I'm not seeing what other people are seeing on BottleKnight.

I think MMT is town. I think the vig chat wasn't as overblown as people are making it out to be; I read it as more of "if I get vigged, reading the interactions that spring up around that will help scumhunt". That said, that's kind of a self evident thing - a death naturally will start conversation - so, eh.

My reads on other people that have votes on them are pretty null. I'd vote to avoid a no lynch, but I'm not seeing oh my god they're so scummy at all.

I'd still vote iajanus even though I have cooled on them a little, they're still probably my biggest actual scum read despite everything. I know there's a lot of people who have said "he seems suspicious!" but that's as far as it's gotten. Dudes who have said that (BHB, MG3, Soag I think) are you still seeing the same thing with that?

I originally wrote that I hadn't changed my read on Anidav but preview edit I'm seeing...something. He was in preeeetty early on D2 with the Infinitum lynch, before a lot of other people. I'd rather vote Bird, I thought the case wasn't bad.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
##vote iajanus for now

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
imgay, did you get blocked again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for running the game, Jimson. I had fun. Sorry I couldn't be around for the last day as much, rl emergency kept me busy and I figured there'd be time to post today.

I think this is the first game where I felt like I was reasonably right with some of my reads, I just need to work on posting more and building better cases I think.

• Locked thread