Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
my dream JoJo game:

- 100% original story, set in the 1-6 universe, post-Stands, but with a new protagonist
- create-a-character, with custom Stands and a pose creation tool
- the Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor for enemy Stand users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

less than 48 hours

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

When talking about Jojo games that will never happen, a lot of people jump to action, and that works. Capcom did it well. Though Stand battles are generally a lot of thinking and a lot of weird rules. So what if you apply that to a strategy game? Place the player character and whoever else is in the Jojo party on a map against an enemy or two. Attacks affect the environment and limit a character's options, and it becomes a matter of out puzzling the enemy.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

let's just agree that 7th stand user has a lovely grind

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

JoJo would be really hard to systemise because Stands have such weird and specific powers and battles are often won through highly non-conventional means. Ideally I think it'd work best as a cross between a Telltale-esque storygame for the downtime and highly abstract Stand users like your D'Arbys and RPS Kids and a MGR-style heavily scripted action game for the physically violent battles, but I don't think you're ever going to be able to directly translate such an outlandish and character-driven series into an interactive medium without losing something in translation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Deadly Premonition, but with stands.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stylized fighting and action games work fine, you don't need to overcomplicate things with dumb gimmicks and boring attempts at thinking outside of the box unless someone's absolutely certain they've got something down

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
JoJo fights are cool and unique, but they're not so special you can't just make a game about beating people up with stand that makes people old or something

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

JoJo fights are cool and unique, but they're not so special you can't just make a game about beating people up with stand that makes people old or something

It could be fun enough, but I can't think of a way you could recreate something as deliberate as the Jotaro/DIO battle in a freeform system; the combat is directly tied to the narrative beats with Jotaro constantly avoiding death by the narrowest of margins. If ROAD ROLLER DA connects without Jotaro stopping time but just takes off a load of HP and they keep on fighting because whatever, you have lost something in translation.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 30, 2016

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The part 5 game did an alright job of contextualizing the gimmicks into an action format

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

multijoe posted:

It could be fun enough, but I can't think of a way you could recreate something as deliberate as the Jotaro/DIO battle in a freeform system; the combat is directly tied to the narrative beats with Jotaro constantly avoiding death by the narrowest of margins. If ROAD ROLLER DA connects without Jotaro stopping time but just takes off a load of HP and they keep on fighting because whatever, you have lost something in translation.

Not really, because most of your userbase knows what happens and doesn't care more often than not that you are replicating everything to a tee. They just want to play as their favorite characters. If you are one of the people who feels something is lost, that's fair, but I don't feel like that games based on anime need to adhere to the rules of the anime. Creativity and making a unique product while using the anime's characters and world as a basis is just as interesting. I mean the Naruto Storm games are praised a lot not only because of the cinematics, but they outright expand upon things the actual series never even covered and people love them for that and also the pretty attacks covering the screen.

Butt Ghost posted:

The part 5 game did an alright job of contextualizing the gimmicks into an action format

Yeah, you can actually beat Prosciutto in like under a minute thanks to this.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

A good way to do it would be like a CRPG, the likes of Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, with Pillars of Eternity being a more recent example. Real-time pause lets the player control without losing fidelity, and Stands can easily be done as spells, for stuff like Magician's Red fire stuff for example, secondary combatants/summons (Star Platinum), and more abstract fights can work as minigames, scripted non-combat events, or dialogue.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

imagine the 7th stand user but made by bethesda

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think there's potential for the strategy game format. Like, not go all out context sensitive, but just sort of "this attack does this to x tiles." Secco could use Oasis to soften tiles, which lowers movement speed and allows him to teleport around. At which point it would be wise to use, say, Narancia or Mista to attack from a distance. Or perhaps you could go in with Bruno, and constantly heal him with Giorno.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 30, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Condiv posted:

Baal posted:

Give JoJo to a not lovely developer

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Condiv posted:

It's already buggy and ugly, so cut the player choice out and you're there

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like either give the thing to Capcom again and let them have another shot even though they're not exactly great right or fuckin give it to Platinum or ArcSys

Otherwise stop making jojo games

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd rather have nothing than ASB or Eyes of Heaven

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I want a JoJo game made by From Software.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just make a mod that turns Bloodborne into Part 1

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean ideally you could style each part after a different kind of game, but I do think a Part 5 game style would work very well for Part 2 as well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

From Soft make a JoJo game.
It has no story and the same animations as Demons Souls.

Sells like hotcakes

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Steambot Chronicles but you custom make Nazi cyborgs to fight instead of Mechs and you are in a band with the pillarmen and can date them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Josuke Higashikata posted:

From Soft make a JoJo game.
It has no story and the same animations as Demons Souls.

Sells like hotcakes

obv, it's a good game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

True of all but DaS2.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Telltale Games Present: JoJo's Bizzare Adventure

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

Not really, because most of your userbase knows what happens and doesn't care more often than not that you are replicating everything to a tee. They just want to play as their favorite characters. If you are one of the people who feels something is lost, that's fair, but I don't feel like that games based on anime need to adhere to the rules of the anime. Creativity and making a unique product while using the anime's characters and world as a basis is just as interesting. I mean the Naruto Storm games are praised a lot not only because of the cinematics, but they outright expand upon things the actual series never even covered and people love them for that and also the pretty attacks covering the screen.

I don't think we really disagree. I think that's all well and good as fanservice and could make a functional action game, but I just don't think it would be as interesting as the original product. The Ninja Storm series does sound like a positive direction to take videogame adaptations though, I'd rather see something new done with the setting as a launchpoint rather awkward recreations of climatic scenes stripped of their consequences.

Really my favourite take on a JoJo game wouldn't be a JoJo game at all but one using the same concepts and storytelling philosophy in a way more natively suited to interactive gameplay, like a sandbox action game where you can change the properties of the game world or characters to your advantage, but without being held back by visual logic or plot progression of a story originally told in an entirely different medium.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 30, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baal posted:

Like either give the thing to Capcom again and let them have another shot even though they're not exactly great right or fuckin give it to Platinum or ArcSys

Otherwise stop making jojo games

ArcSys would kill it because P4A was basically another JoJo fighting game, now that I've gone back and played the old JoJo Capcom game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
P4A is nothing like Heritage for the Future

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I mean it's not 1:1 but the blueprint is there

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah, they don't play similar, but P4A could easily be a Jojo game.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Imagine if JoJo got AIDS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That basically happens multiple times

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Is DIO affected by AIDS?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Butt Ghost posted:

Is DIO affected by AIDS?

vampire AIDS, yes.

made him lose his eyes beam.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

I mean it's not 1:1 but the blueprint is there

Not really. The persona are basically normals in P4A while the stands are basically you playing a second character. I mean there's some stuff it borrows like Tandem for Shadow Labrys' super and Persona meter stuff, but they're still pretty different in a lot of ways.

Shadow Labrys is pretty close though and Relius from Blazblue is also and the Blazblue team very obviously was inspired by the game in those characters.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
More Jojo in less than two days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unuadNjSbRw

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

JoJo otome

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jojo LARP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Race Realists posted:

really wish bad seafood would close this thread until friday

just shut the gently caress up about [video games] already :mad:

i keep thinking someones going to leak the op/ed and its pissing me off!

hmm...this guy was actually right

• Locked thread