Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I hope to see a lot of Lancia Stratos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I bought this during Early Access, crashed a bunch in the Mini Cooper, then finally started getting the hang of things....and then I bought a Lancia Stratos. :smith:

Congrats on buying the most fun car in the game! Keeping its butt under control is so much fun; I get bored when I drive a 2010's 4WD with its "will drive in the direction you want" fanciness.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Casualty posted:

Oooh, this looks like it will be fun. I played a lot of Colin McCrae Rally back in the day, how does Dirt Rally stack up?

It's wonderful. They left behind all the XTREME stuff from the previous Dirt games and went full sim with this one (aside from the damage model, which is surprisingly forgiving). Hardcore rally sim people are hailing this as the first real rally "sim" since Richard Burns Rally from like 12 years ago.

It could use a few more courses, but there's great variety between what's there, with Finland being jump city, Greece having really rough and loose gravel, Sweden for snow goddamn everywhere, etc.

If you're into rally and in particular want a hardcore sim experience, then it's a no brainer purchase. If you prefer arcadey rally then Dirt 3 can be had for cheap.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Great Joe posted:

Well I did a run-through and, oh-

Huh. Well, I guess I can go on to figure out how this Stratos thing works. So far I've mostly been doing this

http://webm.host/cfe2f/vid.webm

I got this advice in the Games thread when I started driving the Stratos:

quote:

Push a little, let off the gas, point in right direction, push more. It seems banal, but you've just gotta think of it in terms of basic physics, especially when it comes to the Stratos.

Basically, take it nice and easy, and don't push yourself faster until nice and easy is actually easy. If you're high-revving 5th gear your first time driving the Stratos, then you're probably gonna die. "Slow is fast" and all those other racing platitudes.

It's a punishing car, but once you learn its quirks it is so much fun to drive.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

It's easily worth $45, especially since the only other notable realistic rally sim is an out-of-print game from 2004. Buy DiRT Rally and buy a steering wheel and buy a Track IR and buy a bass shaker and and and and :shepspends:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

There are very obvious logistical, medical, insurance and maintenance issues to consider if you're going to drive actual cars, so it's not as simple as "buy an old hatchback and go rally."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Seconding a used DFGT if you can find one cheap. I got my dad a gently used one for about $80 off Craigslist. Though be warned that it's a very loud wheel; lots of clunking around when Force Feedback is firing. My girlfriend was about ready to strangle me when I was messing with the DFGT, but she doesn't mind the G27.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

RandomNinja posted:

I'm torn between getting Dirt Rally or the newest Ratchet & Clank. On the one hand, I enjoyed Dirt 3 (but in the same way I enjoy Need for Speed, go fast and drift everywhere), and on the other hand, Ratchet & Clank. I need an outside opinion. Is this a game where I can go fast and drift everywhere, despite best practices saying don't do that?

The "go fast" part requires a lot more precision and practice. The roads are tighter than Dirt 3 and the handling is more realistic, so taking a Need For Speed approach to Dirt Rally will run you into the same brick wall of frustration as taking a Devil May Cry approach to Dark Souls. You'll spend a lot of time going slow before you're able to go fast without flying off the road. Just make sure you're cool with that before you buy.

I haven't played a Ratchet & Clank game since Up Your Aresnal, but that was one of the finest games ever made so you probably can't go wrong with the new one.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Try the new 1960s Renault if you haven't. It's the fastest 60s car, and a blast to drive. Not quite Lancia Stratos fun, but much less temperamental. Makes a nice "baby's first sketchy car."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Kainblueriver posted:

I actually have tried that car. It was my first RWD car and the second I bought after the mini. I remember having a lot of trouble controlling it. Now after driving the Renault Turbo a bunch and the Lancia Stratos a little bit I went back to it and had much less of a problem with it. So, I guess I am improving. I really like how even after you unlock the more modern cars in the game it doesn't make the previous ones any less fun to drive around with.

Absolutely. My favorite car is still the old Lancia Stratos. Just a blast to keep that thing going in a relatively straight direction. Then I drive a 2010s Impreza and it's like, "wow, this is the safest car in the world."

• Locked thread