Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
So what is Lucas Hood's real name anyway?
Ace O'Riordan
Dennis Mitchell
Guggenheim McFrankenbutt
Hood Lucas
Norman Krasner
This poll is stupid and undermines the thematic point being made by keeping Lucas Hood's real name a secret.
gaaaaaaaaary
View Results

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Binging season one, therefore I'm closing my eyes at previous posts. How good are the origins webisodes? And what the heck is this saga version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just finished the season 1 finale. HOLY MOTHER OF BALLS.

I'm a big Strike Back fan, and have been missing my slice of ludicrous action shows. My word. That was fantastic. Seriously. Man.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Kudos to the show for keeping me off balance. The season 2 premiere is slow and steady, setting up all sorts of things. There's a car chase that's pretty impressive, but the episode is mainly concerned with exploring the consequences of season 1's batshit finale.

And then episode 2 unleashes. Rebecca is kidnapped, Hood attacks security guards left and right, Siobhan beats her ex with a bloody bible, Carrie gets into a vicious prison fight literally minutes after arriving, and cows are blown up.

This show. :)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I AM THE THUNDER MAN!

Goddamn show. I'm spoiled for a big season 3 death (Tribal) but the folks I'm binging with have no idea.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Bosch is a very traditional serialized cop show with great performances.

The first season is very FORMULA though; edging on generic.

Season two actually tiptoes towards Justified levels of plotting though. A huge, huge leap in quality.

To compare to Banshee, it'd be like comparing the pilot with the season 1 finale. They're both tonally in the same ballpark, but one is clearly and unequivocally superior.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Those bastards. They teased us with a Carrie/Nola friendship. bastards.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Coming to the end of my Banshee binge. Three episodes to go. I'm much more positive on the final season than most, largely because I like that it pushes each and every character to one final trial. What does Hood look like if he loses Job and his badge? What does Brock do once he has the badge? What does Carrie do once her family is taken away? Proctor is now lord and commander of the underworld, but what does that mean for him and Rebecca? And Job... how can he rebuild himself after experiencing his own personal hell?

Binging definitely helps, I think. Week to week, episode by episode, this is indeed a less bombastic and propulsive show. But the payoffs are sensational.

As a way to bring Hood, Proctor, and Brock together I do think Rebecca's death "works." The serial killer Satanic stuff is fuckawful though. Its odd, since I think it would play better if we just never saw the Satanists at all, and just let Dushku and Hood discover it.

And did people really not enjoy the Brotherhood subplot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just watched the finale. At the end of the day I quite liked the final season as I think it pushed so many characters to new places. I particularly loved that they swerved around the obvious Hood vs Proctor expected conclusion. Having Carrie lead the Anti-Proctor push really worked for me; as a capper to Gordon's arc and a great way to demonstrate her own evolution.

The Brotherhood stuff made for a good subplot, but it definitely could have used some trimming. It took up entirely too much importance in the season, much as I enjoyed it.

They landed near every character beat they needed to, but the season fell short in three key areas.

1) The fight scenes. No idea why the slashed budget led to such inert action sequences, but here we are. As character beats, some of the fights narratively work. Hood replaying his most brutal fights as Burton is strangling him, Job finally becoming herself during the siege on Carrie's house etc. But as actual technical fights they're a goddamn mess. Even Cruz vs Carrie had sloppy editing left and right.

2) They lost the thread of who Proctor was. We're never really let into his interior thoughts this final season, and his motivations are glossed over again and again. As a conclusion, again, I love how he goes down. Carrie and Brock destroying the shipment, Burton's betrayal, Rebecca's death. Season 3 did so much small-scale character work with him. All of that gets slashed away, presumably lost in the shortened episode order. The story of Proctor finally in full control of Banshee is a fascinating story to tell. But they did not tell it.

3) Satanic Cults and goofy rear end goofiness. Love me some Dushku, and I'm happy her character spent time in Banshee. Everything to do with Declan just got worse and worse as time went on, and I still have no idea why the writers spent so much screentime twirling away in this particular corner of the world. Rebecca's death as the inevitable end of her arc, and the catalyst that forces Hood out of the mountains? Spectacular. But by the time a plastic surgeon is able to take out Brock AND Hood with a wrench I completely checked out. A damp fart of a plot, not helped with the rote damsel-ing of Veronica.

I'm happy with the time jump, happy with the way they pushed so many characters to literal breaking points. A strange conclusion to one hell of a show.

• Locked thread