Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The Joker's Daughter is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfbK_dbsCu0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.cbr.com/batman-detective-comics-arkham-knight-first-look/

No word on whether it'll be a new guise for our pal Jason Todd, like it's revealed to be in the game.

Introducing a character no one wants in the 1000th issue is like sidelining a new beloved character in issue 1000.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So Green Arrow is cancelled. While Ben Percy was writing it I think it was consistently the best book from the Rebirth relaunch. Nothing since has been bad but it just got kind of boring when the Bensons were doing it. Lanzing and Kelly have been better so I'm sad to see it go. I imagine it's getting relaunched in a while. Probably as Green Arrow and Black Canary.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

X-O posted:

So Green Arrow is cancelled. While Ben Percy was writing it I think it was consistently the best book from the Rebirth relaunch. Nothing since has been bad but it just got kind of boring when the Bensons were doing it. Lanzing and Kelly have been better so I'm sad to see it go. I imagine it's getting relaunched in a while. Probably as Green Arrow and Black Canary.

Make a new Lantern/Arrow series, you cowards.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the full creator list on Det #1000
https://www.cbr.com/detective-comics-1000-creator-lineup-announced/

Kevin Smith and Jim Lee
Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev
Warren Ellis and Becky Cloonan
Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen
Denny O’Neil and Steve Epting (a sequel to O’Neil’s 1976 Detective Comics story “There’s No Hope in Crime Alley”)
Christopher Priest and Neal Adams
Geoff Johns and Kelley Jones
Tom King, Tony Daniel and Joëlle Jones
Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
James Tynion IV and Alvaro Martinez

Apart from maybe the first pairing, that's not bad.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Not a single woman on that list I see.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I see two :confused:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

One of my eyes is hosed right now.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
None on the writer side, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thranguy posted:

None on the writer side, though.

It's weird as hell they didn't have Gail Simone write a Batgirl story, or have any women wrote Batwoman? because for awhile Detective Comics was a team book with Batwoman in charge.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marguerite Bennett wrote the Batwoman Rebirth series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Marguerite Bennett wrote the Batwoman Rebirth series.

Nice, I liked her Angela stuff for Marvel. They should have gotten one woman writer at least, it's embarrassing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ric Grayson

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Was anyone clamoring for a return of Sensational Character Find of 2018 Master Bruce?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if the whole issue worked, but I liked the idea that a kid who didn't know better would be imagining Batman trying to avenge the Wayne parents while Bruce was a boy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

On the other hand, I don't think I needed to read a comic in which the Nazis sentence Jessie Owens to a work camp and nazi versions of Plastic Man execute three of the Freedom Fighters.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Roth posted:

On the other hand, I don't think I needed to read a comic in which the Nazis sentence Jessie Owens to a work camp and nazi versions of Plastic Man execute three of the Freedom Fighters.

What an atrocious comic that was, as spineless and tepid as Secret Empire but without even SE's game attempt to at least sort of have a plot.

I get the instinct to have a stridently anti-fascist comic in 2018 but this wasn't it (first of all, we have that comic, and it's Uber, and it's excellent-- or TNC's Captain America, which is taking pains to thoughtfully tell the story Nick Spencer should have been telling). It didn't challenge anything. It didn't understand anything. PlaSStic Man is a tacky joke, and giving everybody Colonel Klink accents just trivialized what should have had at least a modicum of gravity to it. The modern day scenes literally have guys in monocles and jodhpurs strutting around. It's the most half-assed attempt to tell a speculative story about fascism in America that I've ever seen, and again, I've read Secret Empire.

But the most craven thing about it is that it's willing to coyly play with the tropes of resistance but can't even bring itself to spell the word "nazi." Instead, the dumbshit neologism "ratzi" is parroted again and again. Ratzis didn't kill six million Jews. Ratzis didn't exploit and inflame the festering wound of bigotry and entitled rage of post-WWI Germany. Ratzis don't exist. Nazis did, and if we want to tell stories about confronting and resisting nazis, we can do our audiences the drat dignity of spelling out who the enemy was, and who the enemy is. gently caress this comic. It has nothing of value to say as long as it's content to treat fascism as nothing more than a campy fairytale.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 20, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Which comic is it?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Mr Hootington posted:

Which comic is it?

Oh, right. Freedom Fighters #1 by Robert Venditti and Eddy Barrows.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Who did they kill in the issue? It is stated The Ray and Phantom Lady are toast in the preview I saw.

Starting the book by killing all the Freedom Fighters seems like a mistake.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Who did they kill in the issue? It is stated The Ray and Phantom Lady are toast in the preview I saw.

All the more heroic when they're resurrected by the American Spirit and Lady Liberty. Under the orders of President Drumpf. :v:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Basically the book is about a team in 2018 picking up where the 1963 Freedom Fighters left off

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's a shame because I was looking forward to it since I like revivals of D-list characters and I think Vendetti is generally a pretty alright writer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Whatever they have for Issue 2 would probably have been better as #1 and then setting up and summarizing the events of #1 as context.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I feel like that wouldn't change the problem of it very much being a pulp story set in an alternate earth where part of the fun is seeing how things changed. It's a comic you read for the catharsis of seeing nazis burn to death after they confiscate a kid's baseball, because baseball was America's pastime. If it has something to say about our troubled hosed up times, it's that nazis are monstrous and so it's cool when they die.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

At least he’s actually doing heroic poo poo again. Baby steps.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I really liked the last FF book (10 years or so ago I guess). Disappointing they went backwards.

edit: Wow, a couple series ago. The one based on Morrison's idea.

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 20, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
March solicits are here.

Feel free to say what looks bad and what looks worst.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Lol the rushed color job to try to salvage that Ivy cover. Can't wait for that issue to ruin my favorite character even more so.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

March solicits are here.

No contest

quote:

SECOND COMING #1
written by MARK RUSSELL
art by RICHARD PACE
cover by AMANDA CONNER
variant cover by TOM FOWLER
Witness the return of Jesus Christ, as He is sent on a most holy mission by God to learn what it takes to be the true messiah of mankind by becoming roommates with the world’s favorite savior: the all-powerful super hero Sun-Man, the Last Son of Krispex! But when Christ returns to Earth, he’s shocked to discover what has become of his gospel—and now, he aims to set the record straight.
It is maybe satire?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Hootington posted:

It is maybe satire?
Satire with the delicate and subtle touch readers have come to expect from Mark Russell.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Lol the rushed color job to try to salvage that Ivy cover. Can't wait for that issue to ruin my favorite character even more so.

What does that even do? Is it going to be Plastique now or something even though they've already established Ivy as one of the dead?

Only thing good in the month looks like Dial H.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That is exactly the kind of book I’d expect someone like Mark Russell to do. Can’t wait till people start unironically posting it in the Funny Panels thread.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Madkal posted:

March solicits are here.

Looks like Thanos snapped away Aquaman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

That is exactly the kind of book I’d expect someone like Mark Russell to do. Can’t wait till people start unironically posting it in the Funny Panels thread.

You mean me :)

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Thranguy posted:

What does that even do? Is it going to be Plastique now or something even though they've already established Ivy as one of the dead?

Only thing good in the month looks like Dial H.

People got upset that they changed her costume to show off her boobs for her dead body on that cover(there were a bunch of cover leaks), so like 3 days before solicit announcements they have someone plaster a coat of dark green on it, darken the overall colors, and call it a day. Despite the fact that it's still a dead woman put in a pin up pose.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How are the new Books of Magic and Lucifer series?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

People got upset that they changed her costume to show off her boobs for her dead body on that cover(there were a bunch of cover leaks), so like 3 days before solicit announcements they have someone plaster a coat of dark green on it, darken the overall colors, and call it a day. Despite the fact that it's still a dead woman put in a pin up pose.

Yeah...they haven't changed much. It's the same pose of the same dead character, but with darker colors to look less pin-upy and more grim. I just want HiC to be over

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

No contest

It is maybe satire?

That's a no buy for me, it's not drawn by the One True Rob Leifeld. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hello! I wanted to post this in the questions thread, but it's kind of a big question. What big events have happened in the DC Universe since Rebirth? I'm not updated on any series but I'd like to be, it's just that there are quite a lot of books to follow, some of which were launched after Rebirth Day 1 (I'm thinking of reading Steve Orlando's JLA but I'm not sure what I should read prior). I knew of Superman Reborn, The Button, Doomsday Clock (is it still running?), and the Heroes in Crisis event which a lot are quite mad about. Have there been any interesting developments/updates to characters (in before Ric)?