Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What is The Division?

A terrorist has the idea to infect money with a powerful mutant virus during Christmas, this leads to an outbreak and everything goes to poo poo, New York falls under quarantine and everything is terrible as multiple factions take advantage of the chaos and stretch the armed forces thin, your guy or gal is a Division agent, empowered by some presidential directive you are basically a sleeper cell, hidden among us normal citizens, the only thing that gives you away is your amazing watch which lights up when you are activated, anything more than this would be spoilers.

How is the gameplay structure?

Its a 3rd person open world RPG with loot mechanics, a base building mechanic and various ways to customize yourself, the city of New York is divided into recognizable districts such as Times Square, Hell's Kitchen and the like where you can do a variety of side missions and main quest lines that feed into the over arching story and grant you supplies which you will use to customize your home base, but your home base isn't simply for show, customizing it grants the player a variety of abilities as well quality of life upgrades such as a merchant that sells weapon skins and the ability to re-tool your gear to have exactly the stat spread you want.

Explain stats more.

Stats are divided into 3 categories, firearms, stamina and electronics.

Firearms should be obvious, your weapon already has a base DPS, firearms adds more oomph to your bullets.

Stamina is your health and I personally feel its the most important stat in the game, you really wanna stack this one.

Electronics is your skill power as it where, you have a variety of abilities you can use such as a healing device that can heal your friends and yourself or a sticky bomb, electronics makes it so the ability is stronger, for example the healing one might just heal half a lifebar with low electronics but 1 and a half if its high, this is also where re-tooling your gear comes in or recalibrating as the game refers to it, even better the game tells you what you can roll onto that piece and let you pick whatever you want for an optimum build or just a fun one.

How does the base building work?

Once you're out of the tutorial, your first main mission is to establish a base of operations, this will be your main hub for the entire game and upon rescuing various NPC's will light up and allow you begin upgrading it in a variety of ways, its divided into 3 sections and every single one of these sections plays into your skills and passives as well.

Medical wing: Will most likely be the first wing you will have active, upgrading this will give you various skills rooted in healing, ability to carry more med kits, letting you go into more dangerous infected zones and the like.

Security: This wing provides you with a mix of defensive and offensive abilities, a few merchants and the ability to take crafting supplies from a box every 12 hours(don't know if its in-game hours or not)

Tech wing: Similar to the security wing, it will give you a bunch of defensive and offensive abilities, more importantly this is the wing that grants you access to the all important recalibration.

Outside of the very first wing upgrade, you can pick and choose which areas of the wing you want to build allowing you decide what passives and skills you want right off the bat, the other important aspect of the wings is their biggest upgrade, this usually requires you to develop 2 specific areas of the wing and is normally the most expensive one, upon building it you unlock what for all intents and purposes is a super, an extremely powerful skill which takes awhile to charge up will save your rear end more often than not.

How is the loot?

Well its a bit unoriginal since the game is somewhat rooted in reality, standard guns, armor and modifications really using the traditional colors, white, green, blue, purple and orange in order of worst to best there is some neat stuff in the game but I'd rather not spoil it, but don't expect a laser gun or anything.

Is there any PvP? Or Coop?

Yes to both.

The PvP aspect is bit different than in other games, instead of straight up PvP gametypes you have an area called the dark zone where all the best loot in the game lies, its also protected by the hardest mobs in the game, the PvP aspect comes in, in the fact that every human player you bump into is classified as a non hostile agent but you are free to shoot them if you wish as they are free to shoot you as well, upon doing so whomever shot first is classified as a rogue agent and the entire server can see you and come hunt you down if they wish, if any non rogue player kills you they collect a bounty on your head which increases the more you kill other people as a rogue agent, if you manage to survive you get the bounty for yourself, essentially the dark zone is a blend of PvE and PvP combat giving it a unique twist.

The DZ also has various unique aspects that separate it from the main game, for starters you have a dark zone rank that goes up as you kill various mobs or players within the zone, this rank allows you to buy better quality items from the unique vendors scattered about, your main EXP will never go up in the DZ outside of only mission within the DZ which is "Go to the Dark Zone", you can also open various loot crates scattered around the dark zone, higher the DZ rank required to open the box=better the loot and finally it also uses a unique currency which you'll stockpile as you do any action around the zone really, the last aspect of it are dark zone keys which you can use to open the various crates scattered about.

The most interesting and hectic aspect of the dark zone is that you can only collect a set amount of loot and you can't just walk out with it, you have to extract it at various designated points on the map and only then can you enjoy the spoils back at the base, if a mob or a player manages to kill you, you lose dark zone funds, dark zone exp(and yes you can lose DZ rank) as well as all of your dark zone loot, so if you have a rather coveted piece of loot you don't want to lose, you're gonna be watching every drat corner as you wait for extraction.

You can go into the DZ solo but I would not advise it, bring friends.

Outside of the dark zone, every single aspect of the game has ease of coop and multiple tools to find other players, either for free-roam, sidequests or main story missions, you have multiple tools at your disposal to find them.

List of PSN ID's posted so far by Phlyarologist

quote:

mhache
Vyst
kylepantss
myswagyolo
Seul-Luna
brianisnotdoug
sadboys2004
leidend
Aggro_jagg
DD_Bubba
GhostStalker512
Fingers_M
Lowparts
DJLunchboxx
Nastrado
AtJofo

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I support your efforts.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
First xbone post

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I support your effort too, but have you ever heard of periods?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
PC gay

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I can't afford a PC, is PS4 or XBONE better?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I support your effort too, but have you ever heard of periods?

Sorry, english isn't my first language. :smith:

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Xbox has more retard ram

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
The Division threads now divided? Cool. PS4 saintHRHOCC.

Content: I'm trying to understand the love for Liberator. Is there some way to increase the stability past garbage levels?

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
PC is bad and PC players should feel bad

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'm very slow at this game.

Level 17, add me for fun on PS4: ChromeHound47

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
I was just in the DZ and there were 12 groups of hackers flying around shooting rockets at me

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

tyrelhill posted:

I was just in the DZ and there were 12 groups of hackers flying around shooting rockets at me

Wrong thread, pal

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I need people to not go rogue on every person they see in the darkzone: PSN leidend

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.
Aggro_jagg on psn.

I'm not serious business so if things all turn to poo poo in a mission I'm more likely to laugh about it than bitch.

One challenging Lexington mission a guy on the team ended up pressing the button in the rooftop elevator three times rather than revive people bleeding out, and that was funny poo poo!

If I'm not running a challenging mission (im not good enough to carry people just yet :( ) I'm happy to jump into dz the for general nonsense, also probably to help out if you want a little power levelling in a normal mission.

I also like walks on the beach, sunsets, wearing purple etc etc.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm Wraith108 on XBL, currently doing the dailies with pubbies but I don't mind going into the DZ.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Sir Tonk on XBL, currently lvl 30 and dz 28 with ok gear. Got a mic and all that jazz.

LowPartz posted:

PC is bad and PC players should feel bad

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Great! Now we just need someone to make "The Division: The Zaphod Diaries - My personal thoughts and musings; a series of essays" and we'll have all of the players' bases covered.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Love this game, can't get enough of it. Typically running around solo and introducing randoms to Dr. Zoidberg :zoid:
XBONE: R0BERTC0P

LVL30; low health, high DPS. I'm looking to run the Daily challenge whenever possible. I'm anti-rogue in the DZ until someone in the group pops it.
Couldn't complete the power plant in a public group yesterday after several people swapped out. Need items for boosting my overall health.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Always looking for more goons to run shenanigans with, PSN is DD_Bubba

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Psn - GhostStalker512
I'm Lvl 30 - DZ 30

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Is this the thread to post a bunch of whining about how my drivers don't work and maybe it's been six months time to update my video card again to get 3 more frames per second?

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Bill NYSE posted:

Love this game, can't get enough of it. Typically running around solo and introducing randoms to Dr. Zoidberg :zoid:
XBONE: R0BERTC0P

LVL30; low health, high DPS. I'm looking to run the Daily challenge whenever possible. I'm anti-rogue in the DZ until someone in the group pops it.
Couldn't complete the power plant in a public group yesterday after several people swapped out. Need items for boosting my overall health.

I saw you join me yesterday rc but I was just leaving. we'll play soon

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

That's right! Me and Colon have been sweeping the DZ in morning runs. I'm almost 30 for some of that sweet bitcoin gear.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Add me so I can do fun Dark Zone poo poo w/o dying or having to go solo. I have a mic and also a huge e-penis.

XBL: HOTLANTA MAN69

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I am currently the best at The Division

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I really want to group up more. I've been running solo about 98% of my time which gets tough in the DZ. I always feel like I'd be an invader jumping into your groups. Feel free to jump in on me PSN Fingers_M

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm posting in this thread now

here's some gifs of me pretending to be a pc player

http://i.imgur.com/hItsJfl.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/OUXN38h.gifv

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Psn Lowparts for dark zone bastard squad fun

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So are people expecting me to do something specific when they kick me from their group the second I join? This is really pissing over my attempts at doing Challenge missions as it happens literally every single time I join a group through matchmaking.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

So are people expecting me to do something specific when they kick me from their group the second I join? This is really pissing over my attempts at doing Challenge missions as it happens literally every single time I join a group through matchmaking.
They want you to invite people and kick them too. It's the exploit that lets you have more than four people in a mission.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.
PSN DJLunchboxx

I've been slumming about in the DZ. I can clear all of the mobs in it myself, but more people is always faster and better. Hit me up and we can clownshoes through this poo poo with orange pants and pink scarves or whatever.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Here's a video of a PC player trying to get in on the fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQPl_ufWHJ0

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
PSN: mhache

I just hit 29 and will be running DZ until rank 30.

Add me and let's roll the DZ.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Wrecks%20Box%20One/video/16064748

:psyduck:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

gibbed posted:

They want you to invite people and kick them too. It's the exploit that lets you have more than four people in a mission.

I get punted back to my safe house about two seconds after loading in, oye.

Ammunition backpacks and grenades can be cooked off early if you shoot them.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

http://i.imgur.com/Z2UkjPJ.webm

Hell yeah, these servers are working great!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Next Level Tech

http://i.imgur.com/n7SAzqP.gifv

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
What should I invest in for babby's first Bird Coin purchase? Vector .45 blueprint?

Also. PSN is PunkBoy412. As you can tell, I just recently hit 30 so I'm pretty new to the end game.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

PunkBoy posted:

What should I invest in for babby's first Bird Coin purchase? Vector .45 blueprint?

Also. PSN is PunkBoy412. As you can tell, I just recently hit 30 so I'm pretty new to the end game.

Yes.

• Locked thread