Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What is The Division?

A terrorist has the idea to infect money with a powerful mutant virus during Christmas, this leads to an outbreak and everything goes to poo poo, New York falls under quarantine and everything is terrible as multiple factions take advantage of the chaos and stretch the armed forces thin, your guy or gal is a Division agent, empowered by some presidential directive you are basically a sleeper cell, hidden among us normal citizens, the only thing that gives you away is your amazing watch which lights up when you are activated, anything more than this would be spoilers.

How is the gameplay structure?

Its a 3rd person open world RPG with loot mechanics, a base building mechanic and various ways to customize yourself, the city of New York is divided into recognizable districts such as Times Square, Hell's Kitchen and the like where you can do a variety of side missions and main quest lines that feed into the over arching story and grant you supplies which you will use to customize your home base, but your home base isn't simply for show, customizing it grants the player a variety of abilities as well quality of life upgrades such as a merchant that sells weapon skins and the ability to re-tool your gear to have exactly the stat spread you want.

Explain stats more.

Stats are divided into 3 categories, firearms, stamina and electronics.

Firearms should be obvious, your weapon already has a base DPS, firearms adds more oomph to your bullets.

Stamina is your health and I personally feel its the most important stat in the game, you really wanna stack this one.

Electronics is your skill power as it where, you have a variety of abilities you can use such as a healing device that can heal your friends and yourself or a sticky bomb, electronics makes it so the ability is stronger, for example the healing one might just heal half a lifebar with low electronics but 1 and a half if its high, this is also where re-tooling your gear comes in or recalibrating as the game refers to it, even better the game tells you what you can roll onto that piece and let you pick whatever you want for an optimum build or just a fun one.

How does the base building work?

Once you're out of the tutorial, your first main mission is to establish a base of operations, this will be your main hub for the entire game and upon rescuing various NPC's will light up and allow you begin upgrading it in a variety of ways, its divided into 3 sections and every single one of these sections plays into your skills and passives as well.

Medical wing: Will most likely be the first wing you will have active, upgrading this will give you various skills rooted in healing, ability to carry more med kits, letting you go into more dangerous infected zones and the like.

Security: This wing provides you with a mix of defensive and offensive abilities, a few merchants and the ability to take crafting supplies from a box every 12 hours(don't know if its in-game hours or not)

Tech wing: Similar to the security wing, it will give you a bunch of defensive and offensive abilities, more importantly this is the wing that grants you access to the all important recalibration.

Outside of the very first wing upgrade, you can pick and choose which areas of the wing you want to build allowing you decide what passives and skills you want right off the bat, the other important aspect of the wings is their biggest upgrade, this usually requires you to develop 2 specific areas of the wing and is normally the most expensive one, upon building it you unlock what for all intents and purposes is a super, an extremely powerful skill which takes awhile to charge up will save your rear end more often than not.

How is the loot?

Well its a bit unoriginal since the game is somewhat rooted in reality, standard guns, armor and modifications really using the traditional colors, white, green, blue, purple and orange in order of worst to best there is some neat stuff in the game but I'd rather not spoil it, but don't expect a laser gun or anything.

Is there any PvP? Or Coop?

Yes to both.

The PvP aspect is bit different than in other games, instead of straight up PvP gametypes you have an area called the dark zone where all the best loot in the game lies, its also protected by the hardest mobs in the game, the PvP aspect comes in, in the fact that every human player you bump into is classified as a non hostile agent but you are free to shoot them if you wish as they are free to shoot you as well, upon doing so whomever shot first is classified as a rogue agent and the entire server can see you and come hunt you down if they wish, if any non rogue player kills you they collect a bounty on your head which increases the more you kill other people as a rogue agent, if you manage to survive you get the bounty for yourself, essentially the dark zone is a blend of PvE and PvP combat giving it a unique twist.

The DZ also has various unique aspects that separate it from the main game, for starters you have a dark zone rank that goes up as you kill various mobs or players within the zone, this rank allows you to buy better quality items from the unique vendors scattered about, your main EXP will never go up in the DZ outside of only mission within the DZ which is "Go to the Dark Zone", you can also open various loot crates scattered around the dark zone, higher the DZ rank required to open the box=better the loot and finally it also uses a unique currency which you'll stockpile as you do any action around the zone really, the last aspect of it are dark zone keys which you can use to open the various crates scattered about.

The most interesting and hectic aspect of the dark zone is that you can only collect a set amount of loot and you can't just walk out with it, you have to extract it at various designated points on the map and only then can you enjoy the spoils back at the base, if a mob or a player manages to kill you, you lose dark zone funds, dark zone exp(and yes you can lose DZ rank) as well as all of your dark zone loot, so if you have a rather coveted piece of loot you don't want to lose, you're gonna be watching every drat corner as you wait for extraction.

You can go into the DZ solo but I would not advise it, bring friends.

Outside of the dark zone, every single aspect of the game has ease of coop and multiple tools to find other players, either for free-roam, sidequests or main story missions, you have multiple tools at your disposal to find them.

List of PSN ID's posted so far by Phlyarologist

quote:

mhache
Vyst
kylepantss
myswagyolo
Seul-Luna
brianisnotdoug
sadboys2004
leidend
Aggro_jagg
DD_Bubba
GhostStalker512
Fingers_M
Lowparts
DJLunchboxx
Nastrado
AtJofo

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I support your effort too, but have you ever heard of periods?

Sorry, english isn't my first language. :smith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bill NYSE posted:

FELL IN 2 TRUK : (
PLZ SEND HELP

http://i.imgur.com/cTd2Gjb.webm

You stay in there and you think about what you did. :colbert:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Reverse Centaur posted:

The number of times server maintenance has killed a challenging mode run is now in the double digits. Needed maybe five minutes.

Not sure how its the games fault that you don't plan ahead for the announced maintenance time. :shrug:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phlyarologist posted:

Looking for PSN goons who play early morning US time. I'm +8 GMT until May, which is 12 hours opposite east coast US, and I typically play weekday evenings.

Oh and here's a list of PSN names from earlier in the thread because I'm a helpy helper. I'm AtJofo:

Added to OP.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
:rip: Large groups exploit.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
2 dudes camping one of the checkpoint doors who constantly killed the same people over and over, not sure if they where farming them or what, I did find it super odd that they kept downing people in one shot.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress I forgot about the maintenance.

Goddammit I just needed to extract a few things to get that purple aug from the advance weapons vendor. :negative:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got my AUG, this thing is a BEAST

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is even happening in the PC thread. :stare:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn 15-19 bracket is gank city tonight.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: PURPLE JACKET AT THE CLOTHES VENDOR: :siren:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AchyHippo/screenshot/4074905

You know you want this.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AchyHippo/video/16998602

I clipped myself into a wall somehow.

Seems legit.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Think I may have found a DZ exploit(if this is common knowledge my apologies).

I was invited by someone to the dark zone but they where under the assumption I was level 30, it accepted the invite and tossed me into the dark zone but it said DZ mismatch for obvious reasons(I was on my 14), the strange part is that the DZ it tossed me into was completely empty, all the loot was there but no human players and not a single human joined up in the whole time I was running around popping every loot box.

• Locked thread