Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Is he supposed to be on there, cause I can't see him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
John Cessna always has stealth camoflauge active, no matter what.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

I didn't even realise there was stealth camouflage in this game.

I guess you could say it flew under my radar.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I didn't even realise there was stealth camouflage in this game.

I guess you could say it flew under my radar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I regret nothiiiiiiiiiiing

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST - "BAGGED 'EM!")

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 26, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

lol

should've linked Cena's theme song, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo_gJwXxshQ

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

lol

should've linked Cena's theme song, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo_gJwXxshQ

He was just winging it.

Now all we'll have is his legacy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnAnuixq9I

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

What a terrible plane choice. Should've put it on a Hercules.

"You can't C3"

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

What a terrible plane choice. Should've put it on a Hercules.

"You can't C3"

Shouldn't that be The Rock?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This twisted thread needs to be reset. We'll start over from Zero and entrust the future to the next generation of posters who won't poo poo up my LP with puns.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If only you were playing a video game series that was known for having a time-resetting gameplay mechanic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Destroying the Enemy’s Prototype Bomber

Mission 10: Toy Box – July 1st, 1998

Overview: Scarface Squadron flies to the Comona Islands to destroy a prototype Erusian heavy bomber that has been commandeered by the Rebel Forces and hidden in one of the archipelago’s space launch facilities.

We’re not getting a Legacy companion mission for this one because the next mission in Legacy after Groupies is Seagull, which lines up with Mission 11 of Ace Combat 2. Toy Box does indeed show up in Legacy, but it’s kicked several missions down the line from here (and features a different mission objective to boot), so we’ll get to that one in due time. You can check it the video for it [RIGHT HERE] for comparative purposes.

Guest Commentators: Kadorhal returns once again for this update.

COMONA ISLANDS
A picturesque tropical archipelago off the south eastern cost of Usea, the Comona Islands are a world famous vacation destination and scientific and technological hub, specializing in aerospace development and space exploration. The University of Comona, which has campuses spread out across several islands, recently came to international attention after FCU President Sinclair officially declassified and published its astronomy department’s research findings on the oncoming Ulysses 1994XF04 asteroid.

RIASS SPACE CENTER
The central economic driver of the Comona Islands is the Riass Space Center and its associated facilities, maintained jointly by the International Astronomers Union, Federation of Central Usea Space Administration (FCUSA) and the Erusian Air and Space Administration (EASA), in addition to several smaller private space exploration enterprises.

Riass Space Center is home to a number of launch facilities including rocket pads for satellite launches, a space shuttle launch tower, and a mass driver for a proposed single stage to orbit (SSTO) project similar to the Osean Federation’s top secret “Arkbird” project currently under construction at Osea’s Basset Space Center.

XB-10 “BIG BAD MAMA”
Though the Allied Forces are aware of its general existence, the Erusian government has thus far refused to divulge any actionable intelligence on the prototype next generation heavy bomber craft known as the XB-10, which was stolen from its development hangar in Farbanti by the URF during the initial chaos of the coup and moved to Rebel-held territory in an attempt to use it against the FCU.

Redacted blueprints uncovered by FCU Military Intelligence appear to suggest the craft is a heavily modified recreation of the Belkan-made XB-0 “Hresvelgr”.

Allied Intelligence is currently investigating this matter.

[ACE COMBAT 2]

Medal: Stalker
Awarded for: Shooting down Stalker in Mission 10.
Description: N/A

Stalker
  • Plane: MiG-31 Foxhound
  • Game: Ace Combat 2
  • Mission 10
  • Spawn conditions: Spawns by default.

AC2

Tracks featured in Mission 10:

DISC 1

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 11, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

nine-gear crow posted:

Riass Space Center is home to a number of launch facilities including rocket pads for satellite launches, a space shuttle launch tower, and a mass driver for a proposed single stage to orbit (SSTO) project similar to the Osean Federation’s top secret “Arkbird” project currently under construction at Osea’s Basset Space Center.

Is the mass driver the long runway with the ski-jump? I always loved this mission by the way, even if it didn't make a lot of sense (why was the space shuttle a target?!). Great setting

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hackbunny posted:

Is the mass driver the long runway with the ski-jump? I always loved this mission by the way, even if it didn't make a lot of sense (why was the space shuttle a target?!). Great setting

Yes. Though once we get to Ace Combat 5 we'll get to see a proper mass driver facility in action at Basset Space Center (which I namedropped in the last update). And as for why the shuttle is a target, I don't get that either, but Legacy retcons it so that you're not destroying an XB-10 prototype, instead you're stopping a satellite launch.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
#010 - Stalker

Oleg Rostok
Male, 24, Yuktobanian
MiG-31 Foxhound
Operation Toy Box: Shot Down

A loner by nature, either in the air or on the ground, who came to Usea and joined the Rebellion after the Belkan War ended before he could join his native air force. He is a rather subdued pilot, preferring defensive flying, such as his station at a captured research facility and rocket base in the Comona Islands, rather than going on the offensive. While he was not known to have a wingman or work particularly well with other pilots, when on base he and a group of other pilots seemed to revel in greeting each other by tersely telling one another to leave.

I just did testing as I said I would, and it turns out I'm wrong, the hangar housing the XB-10 does change. I just thought it didn't because I'm pretty sure the last time I played through the game it ended up being the exact same hangar that it was for Crow. At the very least for the two tests I did to be absolutely sure (you can beat this mission in 90 seconds if you ignore everything else, it turns out) it ended up always being on the same side of the mass driver as it was in the video.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Crossposting something from the cosplay thread:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Assault of the Mobile Fleet

Mission 11: Operation Seagull – July 7th, 1998
Mission 12: Operation Seagull (Legacy Version)

Overview: The Allied Forces have located the bulk of the URF’s remaining naval forces in the Skully Islands due south of Anchorhead Bay. Scarface Squadron is dispatched to sink the Rebel fleet, including its flagship, the aircraft carrier Arquette, but encounter the URF’s top naval ace squadron, and another mysterious red fighter.

|
Guest Commentators: I am joined by Cirvante in the Ace Combat 2 version of Seagull, and by ACES CURE PLANES in the Legacy version.

COCOON SQUADRON
Federation of Central Usea Unified Navy, 2nd Carrier Fleet, 4th Air Wing, 14th Tactical Fighter Squadron (Defected)
Members:
  • Cocoon 1 – Camilla “Catwalk” Almeida
  • Cocoon 2 – Bruno [LAST NAME REDACTED]
  • Cocoon 3 – Kaio [LAST NAME REDACTED]
  • Cocoon 4 – Rodrigo [LAST NAME REDACTED]
  • Cocoon 5 – [NAME REDACTED]
  • Cocoon 6 – [NAME REDACTED]
  • Cocoon 7 – [NAME REDACTED]
Squadron Composition: Rafale M x7

A 7-plane naval flight based off the former FCU Unified Navy carrier U.E.A.S. Arquette. When the Arquette’s crew joined the rebellion against the FCU and the proposed Osean sublimation treaty, Cocoon Squadron joined their shipmates in a show of solidarity.

Led by the legendary and charismatic Camilla Almeida, Cocoon was considered among the best carrier-based squadrons in the FCU navy. Over time, he subordinates developed a deep respect for as a commander, treating her at times as if she were their queen. Her fellow naval pilots would jokingly say that her TAC name was actually “My Lady,” given how often her wingmates would address her as such.

Z.O.E.
[NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE]
Members:
  • “Captain”
  • “Major”
  • [NO ADITIONAL INFORMATION AVALABLE]
Squadron Composition: F-14D Super Tomcat (x1 [?]), F/A-18F Super Hornet (x1[?]), [NO ADITIONAL INFORMATION AVALABLE]

A second lone red Z.O.E. fighter appeared with the Rebel forces’ 2nd Fleet over the Skully Islands during Operation Seagull. Although the Allied Forces were unable to determine if the pilot of the red F/A-18F encountered by Scarface Squadron was the same one encountered over Mt. Lambert during Operation Midnight Assassin, FCU Allied Intelligence was able to confirm that the red fighter was indeed a URF-affiliated unit. While the first Z.O.E. fighter flew with a disabled IFF transponder, the IFF signal on this craft matched the Rebel Forces s IFF signature.

Allied Intelligence is continuing to investigate this matter and recommends the pilot, should he be captured alive, be charged with war crimes for flying an unmarked military craft in a time of war.

CATWALK
Callsign(s): Catwalk, My Lady, Cocoon 1
Sex: Female
Nationality: FCU
Signature Plane: Rafale M
Voice Actor: Cindy Robinson (Uncredited, Unverified)

A storied veteran ace of the formerly united FCU Navy. As a woman in a field dominated primarily by men, she had to work her way to the top, impressing her fair share of colleagues and outside observers in the process with her exceptional skill and fierce charisma, eventually landing in command of the FCU Navy’s premiere naval squadron, the 2414th Cocoon Squadron. Her charisma and care for her subordinates led them to refer to her as their queen, addressing her as “my lady” rather than “ma’am” while on duty.

In the months leading up to the outbreak of the rebellion, Almeida had several (highly public) disputes with her superior officers over their treatment of their subordinates. As tensions between the north and south grew in the run up to the Osean peace conference, so did Almeida’s frustrations with the FCU military. When the rebellion broke out, she joined the Rebel forces along with the crew of her carrier, the Arquette, and her squadronmates followed her out of loyalty, taking a principled stand against what they saw as a corrupt government in Expo City.

In her private life, Almeida is an animal lover and rights activist. She has several dogs, which she rescued from animal shelters and then trained as hunting dogs.

SKULLY ISLANDS
A large island chain located southwest of the Usean mainland and a member state of the Federation of Central Usea (FCU). In the summer of 1996, the local government of the Skully Islands was briefly deposed by terrorist forces intent on making the islands their own private military dictatorship.

The so-called “Skully Islands Insurrection” led to the development of the FCU Allied Forces Mercenary Forces Division and the Scarface Tactical Fighter Squadron. One of the pilots in this mercenary force, the current head of Scarface TFS, Phoenix, quickly rose through their ranks and came to lead the counteroffensive against the terrorists, routing them completely from the islands and restoring them to FCU control.

There, that’s all you need to know about Air Combat.

[ACE COMBAT 2]

Medal: Hangmen
Awarded for: Shooting down Hangmen Squadron in Mission 11.

Medal: ZOE Major
Awarded for: Shooting down the ZOE Major in Mission 11.

Hangmen
  • Plane: Rafale M(x2)
  • Mission 11

ZOE Major
  • Plane: F/A-18F Super Hornet
  • Mission 11

[LEGACY]

Medal: Exterminator
Awarded for: Defeating Cocoon Squadron in Mission 12.
Description: Awarded to pilots who defeat Cocoon Squadron.

Rosepink
  • Plane: Rafale M
  • Game: Assault Horizon Legacy
  • Mission 12
  • Spawn conditions: Appears after the beating round one with Cocoon Squadron.

AC2

Tracks featured in Mission 11:

DISC 1

ACAHL

Tracks featured in Mission 9:

DISC 1

”DJ3no & Noel” posted:

Locked / Gravity Lyrics

Here comes the boom (x5)

I see it, I want it
Nobody can touch me, I'm on it
I go for the rush and no honor
I'm coming through, captain, I'm on it

Missile is locked
Born ready
Mind on the mission
Barrage heavy
Passion burnin'
Blue sky
Enemies fallin'
As they rise

==Chorus==
Locked on the mission
Locked on time
Locked on my spirit
Locked on my mind
Locked on the victory, jets fly
Locked on the path, enemies dive
Locked on the enemy, guns blazing
Hard to limit, this is ragin'
(x2)

This is ragin' (x2)

Drop the bomb!

Mission after mission
At the time to infinity
The passion in my eye
will destroy all my enemies
I'm wishing you death
I'm the hero of the century
No stoppin' me, that's destiny
I'm winnin', it's the best in me

I see it, I want it
Nobody can touch me, I'm on it
I go for the rush and no honor
I'm coming through, captain, I'm on it

Missile is locked
Born ready
Mind on the mission
Barrage heavy
Passion burnin'
Blue sky
Enemies fallin'
As they rise

(chorus)

This is ragin' (x2)

Do it, keep it, don't you lose it
Don't give up, just keep pursuin' it
Put the time in revolution
Dissolution, the solution
(x4)

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 18, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Yup, the Rafale M is the carrier-borne version of the aircraft.

Also yes, helicopters cam fly upside down but it's usually something relegated to light attack ones such as the Westland Lynx or stunt helicopters. And obviously not something you can do for extended periods of time.

I would like to add I would almost play an Ace Combat game where you aside from flying mission, manage a proper full squadron of aircraft and have them fly alongside you.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 1, 2016

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
What is this quadcopter video you're talking about in the video?

edit: btw, the Rafale M is definitely carrier-capable. Compared to the landward B and C versions, it has a beefier landing gear, a proper arresting hook, and an internal boarding ladder.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 1, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Casualty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnbl9CZ9tOI

It's part of Slowbeef and TieTuesday's retsupraes of these insane patent proposal animations by a Russian(?) patent troll company called Dahir Insaat. If you ever once thought "what would be an unnecessarily complex, expensive, and probably illegal solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist," then Dahir Insaat is the answer to your mentally ill prayers!

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Confusing the Rafale and Typhoon is understandable, I'm pretty sure I and some other people brought it up back during Zero but the Rafale basically is the French equivalent to the Eurofighter. The whole reason it exists is because France was the only country involved with the Typhoon's development that wanted something that could work from a carrier.

Also in agreement with Cirvante and whoever else said so, Fire Youngman is the best song in this game. I was extremely happy when I learned the Comona map for Naval Fleet Assault uses it.

Now for our Assault Records:

#011/012 - Hangmen

Rick Greene, Dog Thompson
Male, 28/33, Erusean
Rafale M
Operation Seagull: Shot Down

A pair of Erusean Navy pilots who promptly defected to the Usean Rebellion after they received new carrier-based aircraft. Both were assigned to the carrier at the center of the Rebellion's mobile fleet near the Skully Islands, and successfully defended it from many Allied attacks before mercenary units eventually succeeded in destroying the mobile fleet. The duo ended up giving up on the anti-Osea sentiment, moving to the country and joining its Maritime Defense Force after the incident. A decade later, a brief detente between Osea and Erusea saw them moving back to their homeland as instructors for a newer generation of Erusean Navy pilots recently outfitted with modern Osean aircraft.

#013 - "Major"

Unknown
Belkan
F/A-18E Super Hornet
Operation Seagull: Shot Down

Relationship to the unidentified Captain from Operation Sledgehammer is currently unknown beyond indications that both are former Belkan Air Force veterans. The wreckage of the prior red aircraft has been investigated; there has been no indication of a body having ever been present in or around the crash site, but there was also no sighting of a parachute from the craft by Allied or civilian witnesses, and the ejection seat, though badly damaged in the crash, was still present.

fake EDIT: if you end up doing Assault Horizon and show off co-op you better bring me along :argh:
Also

The Casualty posted:

Probably this one and/or this one, courtesy of slowbeef and TieTuesday. (Also I think they're Turkish? I dunno for sure, that's what I heard at least)

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Man Fire Youngman is probably my favorite AC2 song.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnbl9CZ9tOI

It's part of Slowbeef and TieTuesday's retsupraes of these insane patent proposal animations by a Russian(?) patent troll company called Dahir Insaat. If you ever once thought "what would be an unnecessarily complex, expensive, and probably illegal solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist," then Dahir Insaat is the answer to your mentally ill prayers!
:chanpop:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Excuse me while I rock out.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kadorhal posted:

fake EDIT: if you end up doing Assault Horizon and show off co-op you better bring me along :argh:

If its the PC version I'm in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

If its the PC version I'm in.

Well, consider this a PSA then, because the PC version of Assault Horizon is currently on sale til July 4th for $8 on Steam.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, consider this a PSA then, because the PC version of Assault Horizon is currently on sale til July 4th for $8 on Steam.

What's even better with the PC version is that it no longer has Games for Windows live. And hasn't had for at least two years now or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

We're a very supportive group.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I got somebody to start playing Ace Combat Infinity on a different Discord server, and I'm probably going to a special circle of hell for it.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The pink plane part comes from this guy:

"Article 780, a Lockheed YF-117A stealth test aircraft, first flew on June 18, 1981, with pilot Harold Farley at the controls. The planned 30-minute sortie was cut short after 13 minutes due to a canopy warning light and overheating in the exhaust duct. Article 780 was painted light gray to reduce its daytime visual signature. Ben Rich, Lockheed’s vice president for advanced projects, wanted to deliver the production F-117A aircraft in gray, but General William Creech, chief of Tactical Air Command, wanted the airplanes painted black. 'You don’t ask the commander of TAC why he wants to do something,' Rich recalled. 'He pays the bills. If the general had wanted pink, we’d have painted them pink.'"

The reason he mentions the pink part is because "light gray" was actually "pinkish gray", basically a more advanced version of the WW2 Spitfire recon plane paint scheme:

"...To make sure they were rarely seen from above, these planes were painted to fly just under cloud cover. Although the planes were ideally meant to fly at sunset and sunrise, when the clouds took on a pinkish hue and made the plane completely invisible against them, they were also useful during the day. Clouds are pinker than we give them credit for...When the blue light is scattered, a good deal of it goes right back up into space, which is why the atmosphere of earth glows blue in some pictures. This filters out a good deal of the blue that gets to the clouds. The clouds scatter what they have, which is a spectrum of light with at least some of the blue filtered out, shifting the overall light ever so slightly towards red. Add to that the fact that the water droplets in clouds can diffract light at different angles, and the clouds are often rife with pastel shades of pink, orange, and green."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Breaking Into the Enemy Submarine Base

Mission 12: Operation One Night Stand – July 18th, 1998
Mission 13: Operation One Night Stand (Legacy Version)

Overview: One of the two Dragonet-class ballistic missile submarines stolen by the Rebel Forces has been located at the Seal’s Bridge submarine dock facility. Phoenix is sent in to destroy the sub before it can reach the safety of the dock, but must first navigate a treacherous canyon run to avoid detection by the Rebels.

|
Guest Commentators: Joining me for this update are Jobbo_Fett in the Ace Combat 2 version, and Cooked Auto in the Legacy version.

DRAGONET-CLASS SUBMARINE
I’m hesitant to give this one a “super weapon” entry yet, but seeing as how this isn’t the last we’ll be seeing of the Dragonet-class subs in this game, I’ll do it the next and more plot-relevant time it appears.

Constructed in the late 1980s by the FCU Navy to act as a naval missile launch platform, the twin nuclear submarines Fensalir and Folkvangr were, prior to the outbreak of the continental war, the two most potentially deadly weapons in the FCU Unified Navy’s arsenal. Built to house and launch specially designed Submarine Launch Ballistic Missiles (SLBM), the twin subs were designed to act as a first or second-strike capable platform, one stationed on each coast of Usea, against possible aggression by either the Osean Federation or the Union of Yuktobanian Republics.

However, following the signing of the Treaty of Lumen and the push for global nuclear disarmament in the Assembly of Nations, the Dragonets’ future as a potential nuclear deterrent has been cast into doubt.

The Dragonet submarines also the subject of international controversy, albeit indirectly, in the early 90s. The Union of Yuktobanian Republics was accused of copying the Dragonet design when it revealed its two Scinfaxi-class nuclear submarines, Scinfaxi and Hrimfaxi in 1991. Osea’s Foreign Minister Howard decried the Scinfaxi-class as a counterfeit Dragonet, accusing the UYR of espionage against the FCU, something Yuktobanian Prime Minister Samanov vehemently denied.

FENSALIR
Here we have Ace Combat returning to the realm of Old Norse mythology. This is also one of the many lore additions Assault Horizon Legacy brings in over Ace Combat 2, actually naming the two submarines in the game.

Roughly translated from Old Norse as the “Fen Halls,” the Fensalir is the hall of the goddess Frigg, wife of Odin the All-Father, and for whom Friday (Frigg’s day) is named. It is featured in both the Poetic Edda and the Prose Edda by the 13th century Norse poet Snorri Sturluson. As the “fen” part of the name suggests, the Fensalir was alleged to have been located in a bog or swamp, though some scholars argue it actually refers to the sea, as Frigg was also considered to be a sun goddess, and the sun appears to descend into the sea when viewed from the coast at sunset. Thus it appears as though Frigg is descended into her Fensalir, her sea hall.

DRAGONET
The name of the class of the submarines in Ace Combat 2 / Assault Horizon Legacy comes from a species of fish found in the tropical waters of the Indo-Pacific oceans. Their name means “little dragon,” and reflects their oddly lizard-like appearing, and, in some species, their allegedly venomous qualities.

[LEGACY]

Comet
  • Plane: CH-47 Chinook
  • Game: Assault Horizon Legacy
  • Mission 13
  • Spawn conditions: Appears behind a bridge halfway down the left (Apache) path through the canyon.

AC2

Tracks featured in Mission 11:

DISC 1

ACAHL

Tracks featured in Mission 9:

DISC 1

We've also got our first bit of Outside-SA fan content, given to me by Ikatcher from YouTube, who wants the world to see... :stonk: mother of god.

Stealth technology at its finest ladies and gentlegoons.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 1, 2018

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
An ace Chinook? That's amazing. Then again, this is Ace Combat, so maybe it's actually the ACH-47A Chinook:

Ah yeah baby, the Flying Fortress of Helicopters: up to five .50 Cals/7.62mms, two fixed-mounted 20mm cannons with two pod-mounted 7.62mm miniguns (or two 19-tube 2.75 inch rocket launchers instead) and a chin-mounted 40mm automatic grenade launcher. Only four ever built, and almost immediately declared a really stupid idea at a time when there weren't enough of the transport versions for regular duties, let alone some armored monster that could barely stay airborne. Still looks cool, though :v:.

Edit:

Balls of Steel there, lad. Balls of Steel. I think you're ACE READY, ALL DAY LONG.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 2, 2016

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

An ace Chinook? That's amazing. Then again, this is Ace Combat, so maybe it's actually the ACH-47A Chinook:

Ah yeah baby, the Flying Fortress of Helicopters: up to five .50 Cals/7.62mms, two fixed-mounted 20mm cannons with two pod-mounted 7.62mm miniguns (or two 19-tube 2.75 inch rocket launchers instead) and a chin-mounted 40mm automatic grenade launcher. Only four ever built, and almost immediately declared a really stupid idea at a time when there weren't enough of the transport versions for regular duties, let alone some armored monster that could barely stay airborne. Still looks cool, though :v:.

I remember reading somewhere about them trying to build a gunship Chinook at some point but it turned out that the vibrations from firing the weapons hosed up the airframe something fierce so the idea was scrapped.

On the flipside, the first major Arma 3 expansion is introducing a Gunship Not-Osprey VTOL.

thetruegentleman posted:

The reason he mentions the pink part is because "light gray" was actually "pinkish gray", basically a more advanced version of the WW2 Spitfire recon plane paint scheme:

"...To make sure they were rarely seen from above, these planes were painted to fly just under cloud cover. Although the planes were ideally meant to fly at sunset and sunrise, when the clouds took on a pinkish hue and made the plane completely invisible against them, they were also useful during the day. Clouds are pinker than we give them credit for...When the blue light is scattered, a good deal of it goes right back up into space, which is why the atmosphere of earth glows blue in some pictures. This filters out a good deal of the blue that gets to the clouds. The clouds scatter what they have, which is a spectrum of light with at least some of the blue filtered out, shifting the overall light ever so slightly towards red. Add to that the fact that the water droplets in clouds can diffract light at different angles, and the clouds are often rife with pastel shades of pink, orange, and green."

Should be noted that pink camouflage has been used before. The SAS Land Rovers used back in WW2 were called Pinkies because they were indeed painted pink to blend in better at a distance in the deserts of North Africa.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 2, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Tallboy, 12,000 pounds of destructive fury, was one of the many bombs that could be dropped by Lancaster bombers.

My WWII knowledge is, sadly, useless in Ace Combat :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That boy actually looks about average height for his age if you ask me

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

That boy actually looks about average height for his age if you ask me

How old is he, though?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
About 70, give or take

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I know this is more appropriate for the last thread but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsMg244DvmI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tythas posted:

I know this is more appropriate for the last thread but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsMg244DvmI

That's pretty drat cool.

• Locked thread