Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
Holy goddamn, a Strangereal megathread? :toot: Y'know, I never got into high fantasy until I saw it done with sweet-rear end fighter jets and ICBMs instead of knights and wizards and all that.

I need to play 6 again... I rented a 360 and did a couple playthroughs over the course of a week but that was in like '09. I liked it a lot, though, except for the you-know-whating with the you-know-whos. I tried to get the Japanese language track just to put some verbal distance in there (E: and just sell the unapologetic animu-ness of it all better in general; I wish they all included it like 5 and Infinity) but no dice.

But now I actually own a system and I'm opening myself up to the AC7 hype like a middle class white lady to signs from the universe.

Frogisis fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Psion posted:

I can safely say at minimum I have watched the intro cutscene to mission 1 with every single plane and probably every plane's alt color schemes at this point, yeah. I played a lot of AC6.

I think the only achievements I don't have are competitive MP because ugh, the less said there the better

I will say, AC6 had neither the strongest story, nor the largest library of aircraft, but it's got some drat good replay value. The missions are fun and chaotic and you have options about what you're going to accomplish.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Pursuit of Reconnaissance Unit

Mission 2: Operation Easy Money – March 31st, 1998
Mission 2 (Legacy Verison)

Overview: Scarface squadron is dispatched to run down an enemy reconnaissance flight passing over Mt. Lambert in Rebel occupied Erusian territory and encounters one of the Rebels’ top ace squadrons.

|
Guest Commentators: I am joined by both Blind Sally and ACES CURE PLANES for this brief second mission in the Ace Combat 2 version. Both of them are in between what I suppose you could call “tentpole” LPs at the moment, though Sally has a pair of mini LPs going in the Casual Thread of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter Remastered and Off-World Interceptor: EXTREME. ACES, meanwhile, is gearing up to continue his run through the PS2 Armored Cores with Armored Core 2: Another Age.

Meanwhile, in the Legacy version, I’m joined by Trizophenie. In addition to providing all the gameplay footage for this run through of Assault Horizon Legacy, he also did a really cool LP of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II aka “The Game That Killed LucasArts” along with Simply Simon. He’s also doing a “de-hanced edition” LP of the Wii version FU2 for the Casual LP thread along with Simon, Sally, kalonZombie, and myself.

LANCER SQUADRON
Federation of Central Usea Allied Air Force, 16th Air Force Unity, 4th Fighter Wing, 3rd Tactical Fighter Squadron (Defected)
Members:
  • Lancer 1 – Albert “Pride” Wahlberg
  • Lancer 2 – [NAME REDACTED]
  • Lancer 3 – [NAME REDACTED]
  • Lancer 4 – [NAME REDACTED]
Squadron Composition: F-14D Super Tomcat (x4)

Once one of the top squadrons in the FCU’s Allied Forces, Lancer Squadron defected and joined the rebellion at the outbreak of the Continental War. Flying a flight of four F-14D Super Tomcats, Lancer was posted to the far western front of the FCU’s military control zone, along the Erusian boarder. Despite flying a quartet of aging, heavy, carrier based jets, Lancer flight proved particularly effective thanks to the tactics of its flight lead, Albert Wahlberg.

Wahlberg studied the tactics of the once-mighty Belkan Air Force and its legendary pilots such as Lt. General Dietrich Kellerman and modeled Lancer’s attack patterns off of the Belkan knights of old. This is reflected both in the squadron’s name and emblem, and in their primary attack: the Lancer Charge. All four Lancer planes would charge at their target and launch their missiles simultaneously, giving their prey next to no time to react.

As you can tell by them not appearing in the Ace Combat 2 video and by the better graphics of the screenshots above, Lancer Squadron is one of the four boss squadrons exclusive to Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy. Now, it might seem like a bit of a dick move to throw a boss squadron at you in only the second mission, but the truth of the matter is that Lancer is a flying joke. They’re a gussied up tutorial designed to teach you how to use Attack Maneuvers and Evasive Maneuvers, Legacy’s stripped down version of Assault Horizon’s much maligned Dogfight Mode. It’s basically just “Press Y to insta-kill your target” / “Press Y to evade enemy missiles”.

The key to this fight, as with the other three boss squadrons in the game, is to focus on taking out the squadron leader first. Without Wahlberg, the remaining Lancers break into a disorganized mess; their formation falls apart, they can’t use their special charge attack any more, and are easy pickings from there on out.

By and large, they’re designed to be “Baby’s First Ace Combat Boss Squadron”. If you lose to these jokers and their predictable, telegraphed attack patterns, then perhaps Ace Combat just isn’t for you.

PRIDE
Callsign(s): Pride, Lancer 1
Sex: Male
Nationality: Erusea (Western Usea)
Signature Plane: F-14D Super Tomcat
Voice Actor: Yuri Lowenthal (Uncredited, Unverified)

The son of a Major General, he joined the Air Force to follow in his father’s footsteps and out of a strong sense of duty and nationalistic pride. That selfsame pride led him to join the rebellion against the FCU government after the southern states’ failed attempt to join the Osean Federation.

His isolated upper class background fostered in him an arrogant personality, and he would often look down upon others around him, believing them to be beneath him in life. Regardless, his patriotic pride drove him to act in what he believed to always be the best interests of his homeland and its people, placing their needs above his own when push came to shove.

It was speculated that Wahlberg was eying a transition to a political career in his home country once his service tenure was up. His colleagues would often note how he seemed more adept at playing politics and glad-handing than he ever was handling a flight stick.

Lambert Mountains
A mountain range in northern Erusea. Its highest point is Mt. Lambert itself, one of the highest peaks on Usea. Along with the Amber Mountains in the south, they form a natural wall effectively fencing Eursea in from the rest of Usea, or more pertinently, keeping Erusea a supposedly “safe” distance away from the rest of the FCU.

One of Erusea’s many early warning radar installations is situated atop the mountains, but beyond that there is very little of interest to say about them. They do play a larger role in Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere, however.

SUPERFLY

The Named Ace in the Ace Combat 2 version of this mission is called "Superfly" (and while he's replaced by Cosmic in AHL, he does shows up in a later mission in that game). The ace takes his name form the 1972 blacksploitation crime drama Super Fly. The film follows a one-time cocaine dealer named Youngblood Priest (Ron O'Neal) as he tries to buy his way out of the drug trade and land a regular 9-to-5 career with one last massive coke sale. The title song of the movie was sung by Curtis Mayfield.

The mission contains a second hidden reference to Super Fly the movie, as the track that plays over the Ace Combat 2 version is called "El Dorado", a reference to Priest's custom Cadillac Eldorado, which was owned by an actual pimp from Harlem who had a role in the film. The car itself is credited with starting the trend of the Pimpmobile car style.

There will also be a mission itself coming up later in both 2 and AHL called El Dorado.

Aircraft featured in Mission 2: Operation Easy Money

Kfir C.7
Manufacturer: Israeli Aircraft Industries
Role: Fighter bomber / trainer
Manufactured: 1967–????
Primary Operators: United States, Israel, Columbia, Sri Lanka
Quick Facts:
  • Appears only in Ace Combat 2.
  • Doesn’t appear in the remake Assault Horizon Legacy.
  • Better than the Skyhawk or the Phantom, but still very low tier.
  • A proprietary model built off a Dassault Mirage 5 airframe.
  • Formally known as the IAI Kfir.
  • In the late 80s, the Kfir C.2s were upgraded to the C.7 models seen in the game.
  • The C.7 features an improved weight ratio, forward canards, and a suite of upgrades to enhance its capabilities as a bomber.
  • Kfir (כְּפִיר) means “lion cub” in Hebrew.

E-767
Manufacturer: Boeing
Role: AWACS / Electronic support
Manufactured: 1996–Present
Primary Operators: Japan
Quick Facts:
  • Technically a Repeat Offender entry, but I never actually did a write up for it for Zero, so… eh.
  • Is the Japanese proprietary equivalent of the Boeing E-3 Sentry AWACS.
  • All our in-mission AWACS operators like Keynote, Eagle Eye, et al. operate out of E-767s.
  • Is built off a heavily modified civilian 767-200 airframe.
  • Serves as an airborne command center for fighter operations in combat situations.
  • AWACS stands for Airborne Warning And Control System.
  • Usually the player AWACS in any given Ace Combat game only makes an appearance at or near the end of the game, as we’ve already seen in Zero at Avalon.

REPEAT OFFENDERS
  • F-14D Super Tomcat
  • MiG-21bis Fishbed
  • F-4E Phantom II
  • B-2 Spirit
  • C-17A Globemaster III

[ACE COMBAT 2]

Medal: Superfly
Awarded for: Shooting down enemy Ace Superfly in Mission 2.
Description: N/A

Superfly
  • Plane: F-4E Phantom II
  • Game: Ace Combat 2
  • Mission 2
  • Spawn conditions: Appears by default.

[LEGACY]

Medal: Bloody Dragon
Awarded for: Defeating Lancer Squadron in Mission 2.
Description: Awarded to pilots who defeat Lancer Squadron.

Cosmic
  • Plane: B-2A Spirit
  • Game: Assault Horizon Legacy
  • Mission 2
  • Spawn conditions: Flies at low altitude in a ravine near the E-767.

AC2

Tracks featured in Mission 2:

DISC 1

ACAHL

DISC 1

We also get some sweet fan art from ElTipejoLoco depicting potential squadron emblems for me and some of my fellow co-commentators like Blind Sally and ACES CURE PLANES. Hell yeah :pilot:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 18, 2018

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Oh, wow, I love Wahlberg's crazy jousting shtick.

:byodood: CHARGE! CHARGE! CHARGE!!

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
That fight looks fun, but... what the gently caress kind of ham-handed nickname is "Pride"? It's like the Rot fight as handled by George Lucas.

Anyway, first off let's get on with the plane. The Kfir is, as mentioned, built on the Mirage 5 frame - it originally came about as an upgrade for IAI's earlier Nesher ("vulture"), which was an unlicensed copy of the Mirage created when attempts to purchase the original craft fell through thanks to an arms embargo imposed on Israel. The primary differences, beyond the addition of canards as mentioned, is the use of the American GE J79 turbojet as used in the F-4 Phantom, which was superior to the Mirage 5's Atar 09, and very plentiful between gifts from the US and a license to produce the engine locally. Other upgrades and changes included a shorter and wider fuselage, widened air intakes, and bigger fuel tanks. The C.7 came about to upgrade the craft's use as a strike fighter, as by the time the IAF went to war in Lebanon in '82, they had access to the F-15 and F-16 fighters and so used them for air superiority. In the late 90s the Kfir started being withdrawn from service; in August 2013, IAI announced they would offer Kfirs to foreign customers at a unit price of $20 million, and by that October were apparently in "advanced negotiations" with at least two air forces regarding the sale of Kfirs.
The Kfir was also used by the Marine Corps and Navy between 1985 and 1989 for dissimilar air combat training, dubbed the F-21A Kfir. They were chosen because, especially with modifications the Marine Corps made to their thirteen borrowed craft, it shared very similar flight characteristics to the MiG-23, which was at the time being introduced in large numbers and was seen to be more capable than earlier Soviet craft.
For you movie buffs, the Kfir is probably most famous for appearing in the first Iron Eagle movie, where for some reason it was standing in for the MiG-23, which was rather apparent considering the -23 is a swing-wing jet while the Kfir is a delta-wing. Even more hosed is that the bad-guy air force was in the same general area as a lot of other countries that utilized the Mirage 5, so why they didn't just call it as it is is a mystery for the ages.

Now, the other thing I've got is something special. See, the fun thing about Ace Combat 2 is that it has its own Assault Records. It was cut out at the last minute, and it was thorough enough that it's obscure as hell so I had to go searching really deep in the bowels of the internet to find this, but I have reason to believe it's legit. So here we go:

#001 - Superfly
Priest O'Neal
Male, 25, Usean
F-4E Phantom II
Operation Easy Money: Shot Down

Known for being rather flamboyant in his mannerisms; his taste for painting his aircraft was no different. Rumors of being a reformed cocaine dealer were also circulated at times, though no proof could ever be found. Shot down over the Lambert Mountains while defending a reconnaissance unit, he eventually joined the Independent State Allied Forces after their inception following the war. He was shortly noted to always be among the first to take off in response to a threat, likely to avoid the other ISAF pilots' odd joking otherwise that they couldn't take off without him.

Also, if anyone's still playing Infinity, between the end of the Zero thread and Crow's near-death experience, they switched things around. Events now give out Skilled Pilot Medals, which you can exchange for new or returning rewards like the special supply catalogue. It's basically the same thing except with currency harder to come by; they even add new stuff in twice a month. In particular, the new additions for the start of this month were AC2 and AHL-themed - Scarface One's Su-35 and an EA-18G apparently belonging to an ace we'll see later were the big additions, alongside a variant of the Phoenix emblem that plays part of Fighter's Honor when you make MVP with it, and the Scarface nickname (you better believe I picked that up). I'm still holding out for the original Phoenix emblem, though.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Kadorhal posted:

The Kfir was also used by the Marine Corps and Navy between 1985 and 1989 for dissimilar air combat training, dubbed the F-21A Kfir. They were chosen because, especially with modifications the Marine Corps made to their thirteen borrowed craft, it shared very similar flight characteristics to the MiG-23, which was at the time being introduced in large numbers and was seen to be more capable than earlier Soviet craft.
The F-21 is still operated in an aggressor role, as a matter of fact. Just by a civilian contractor, not the Navy themselves.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
It's neat to be able to see both versions side by side. E: You're all going to poo poo on me but I thought dogfight mode in Assault Horizon was a nice little lark in terms of a new way to do stylized arcade fighter combat and fun enough to sustain one game. But I like rail shooters and hate open world sandbox games so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Brunom1 posted:

Oh, wow, I love Wahlberg's crazy jousting shtick.

:byodood: CHARGE! CHARGE! CHARGE!!
One of the things I've always enjoyed about Ace Combat bosses is seeing old kung fu movie tropes and archetypes juxtaposed with something so seemingly different as high-tech modern air combat. Because I mean like, isn't dogfighting a martial art, like, if you kinda squint at it? :aaaaa:

Frogisis fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 23, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Frogisis posted:

It's neat to be able to see both versions side by side. E: You're all going to poo poo on me but I thought dogfight mode in Assault Horizon was a nice little lark in terms of a new way to do stylized arcade fighter combat and fun enough to sustain one game. But I like rail shooters and hate open world sandbox games so take what I say with a grain of salt.

This thread is a safe space. All opinions are welcome and equally valid here. Even wrong ones.

But speaking of rail shooters, you might also be interested in the LP of Solar Eclipse I'm sorry shrugging my way through for the Casual thread too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I realized last night that I've gotten really really rusty with my flying as on a whim, partly inspired by the recent update, to hook in my joystick and start up ACAH again just to finish it and see if I couldn't LP it to spare crow the agony of doing it.
I had forgotten it was at pretty much the end of the campaign and how ramped up that difficulty got.
On the flipside I crashed into the ground more than getting shot because the lack of a visible horizon can really screw you over at times. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

nine-gear crow posted:

This thread is a safe space. All opinions are welcome and equally valid here. Even wrong ones.

well yeah, otherwise you'd have to stop posting in your own thread! :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psion posted:

well yeah, otherwise you'd have to stop posting in your own thread! :v:

heyo!!! :hfive:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Frogisis posted:

no, I think you've got a legit point. DFM had a lot of implementation problems which we've all discussed, but, conceptually, it solved some problems plaguing the average player of old AC games. Of course, it's been so poisoned by fan response they'll never get to iterate on that concept and make it good in actual practice in a single-player campaign, but eh.

You never hear complaints about ASM though, and I think that's for good reason. Individually plinking 400 ground targets was boring as poo poo, so taking 10 minutes of ground attack and compressing it into 1 minute of explosions, was a good choice, especially in terms of mission pacing. AC has never had compelling ground attack in terms of "here's a shitload of targets, go have fun with that" which may explain the series fetish for tunnels and/or A-10s with FAEBs, among other "just wipe out everything on screen" attacks.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 23, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's me, I'm the one person who likes vanilla air to ground in Ace Combat. You know, in case my Zero playthrough didn't make it clear. It allows me to skirt close to the ground, shooting guns, flying through small gaps, and spinning constantly. :black101:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Kadorhal posted:

For you movie buffs, the Kfir is probably most famous for appearing in the first Iron Eagle movie, where for some reason it was standing in for the MiG-23, which was rather apparent considering the -23 is a swing-wing jet while the Kfir is a delta-wing. Even more hosed is that the bad-guy air force was in the same general area as a lot of other countries that utilized the Mirage 5, so why they didn't just call it as it is is a mystery for the ages.

I'm going to go with people actually knowing what a Mig is, but having no idea what the hell a Mirage 5 is, or why it's a threat. "Mirage 5? Is that like Maroon 5? Wait, it's a french plane?!? Boy, ain't no French plane gonna beat an American plane, everyone knows that. Can't have no good movie climax with some drat French plane." :clint:

nine-gear crow posted:

Um...I actually took a liking to the dog fight mode as well. Yes, it did make the game a bit too easy, but chasing a plane through an office building while ripping it apart with your guns was fantastic, and a decent compromise between keeping the series wacky while moving it to the "real world"; It really just needed something to make it as dangerous as it was powerful.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

thetruegentleman posted:

I'm going to go with people actually knowing what a Mig is, but having no idea what the hell a Mirage 5 is

yeah, exactly. Top Gun had F-5s standing in as the infamous 'MiG-28.' 1% of the audience might care it's an F-5 or Kfir, the other 99% only care it's The Bad Guy Plane, and MiG is a known manufacturer.

thetruegentleman posted:

It really just needed something to make it as dangerous as it was powerful.

Multiplayer did that: your opponent could, and in my experience frequently would, counter your attempt at DFM and shove a missile and gunfire up your rear end. DFM could be a shortcut for you to get a quick kill; it could also be a shortcut for your opponent to counter you and quickly kill you instead. Risk:reward! SP failing to do so was probably DFM's second biggest flaw.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 23, 2016

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
I know I like to hype the game a lot but the "attack maneuver" move is ported strait from their earlier game Sky Crawlers Innocent Aces.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr.Flibble posted:

I know I like to hype the game a lot but the "attack maneuver" move is ported strait from their earlier game Sky Crawlers Innocent Aces.

One of my regular YouTube commenters mentioned that too. I'd mulled over doing a Sky Crawlers LP as a bonus somewhere along the line, but ultimately decided against it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Surprise Attack on the Supply Bay

Mission 3: Operation City on Fire – April 5th, 1998
Mission 3: Operation Anchorhead Freedom (Legacy Verison)
BONUS: Gunpods & Barrel Rolls (c/o: Trizophenie)

Overview: The Allied Forces launch an assault on Rebel naval forces stationed in the coastal city of Anchorhead to liberate the port and cripple the URF’s western naval power.

Gameplay Note: This mission sets up the first of several branching or optional missions in both Ace Combat 2 and Assault Horizon Legacy. Destroying the two transports docked in the bay unlocks the mission Opera House in the Ace Combat 2 version. In Legacy, the optional missions are unlocked by default so you’re free to choose whether you want to do Tin Castle or Opera House as your fourth mission.

This mission is also the one featured on the Ace Combat 2 demo that came with one of the various PlayStation Sampler Pack demo discs shipped with new PS1s to entice people into buying more games for them. I’m sure everyone who owned a PS1 had at least one volume of these things.

|
Guest Commentators: I am joined once again by both Blind Sally and ACES CURE PLANES. While in the Legacy version I am joined by noted taser enthusiast Lunethex.

Anchorhead
The city of Anchorhead on the southwestern coast of Usea is one of the largest port cities on the continent, and Erusea’s main international trading and transport hub. It is currently under Rebel occupation, serving as the base of operations for their western operations, including an aircraft carrier formerly attached to Erusea’s mighty Aegir Fleet.

Taking back Anchorhead would be a major step towards securing and liberating western Usea from Rebel control and pushing the Rebels further eastward back towards St. Ark.

Now, for the uncomfortable real world elephant in the room stuff. Yes, that is the World Trade Center right there front and centre in the middle of downtown Anchorhead. The Strangereal games have a history of importing real world landmarks into their various fictional locales, and since this game came out in 1997, no one could have imagined something like 9/11 actually happening.

That said, as I’ve pointed out in other videos, and as you’ll see in the Legacy version of Mission 3, Project Aces actually removed the twin towers from the Anchorhead skyline for the remake and replaced it with a generic very tall building.

Aircraft featured in Mission 3: City On Fire

Nothing new :eng99:

REPEAT OFFENDERS
  • F-16C Fighting Falcon
  • A4 Skyhawk
  • AH-64 Apache
  • F-4E Phantom II

[LEGACY]

Big Cat
  • Plane: Vehicle
  • Game: Assault Horizon Legacy
  • Mission 3
  • Spawn conditions: Destroy the two F-4Es on the carrier and the first wave of F-4Es currently in the air over the bay. Spawns on the bay bridge and quickly retreats into the tunnel on the other side.

AC2

DISC 1

ACAHL

DISC 1

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 29, 2016

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

nine-gear crow posted:

Mission 3: Operation Anchorhead Freedom (Legacy Verison) – [COMING SOON]

Y'know, if you told me beforehand when you're gonna post updates, I could get you the footage early enough :)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That's far too easy, consistent, and justifiable. That's not how things work.

Also, goddamn, I forgot just how bad of a head cold I had that recording day. :stare:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
we're making up for lost time.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

A named yet optional ground target in AHL? That's a new one, I think.

Anyway, as mentioned, this is one of those sorts of missions that helps set apart the PS1 games from the PS2 ones and beyond. You go out of your way to do something a little different and you get to choose what your next mission is. I'm not going to give away how many missions are like that, but there's a noticeable amount. It's one of the things that adds a good degree of replayability to a game you may not otherwise want to go back to because of the controls.
This mission always gets me because the layout of the map (as well as the subject of the mission) is extremely similar to an early mission we'll see in the next game. Even though I know the two missions take place on entirely different parts of the continent (not to mention the port being aligned along different cardinal directions between games, if I remember right), every time I look at the map of this mission I'm still 99% sure they're supposed to be the same place.

As for the fuel meter and whether afterburner makes it go down faster - it doesn't. No matter how you fly, the fuel meter depletes at the same rate. It's just a disguised timer.

On the subject of the music - I think this is the first time you really get a feel for what most of the soundtrack of the original game is like, and whether you'll like it. At the same time we're not even at the best songs in the game yet, but we're pretty close with this one.
That emblem I mentioned I'm holding out for in Infinity, there's a version of it that plays part of this song as its MVP theme. I want that poo poo. I mean the important thing is that I have the emblem itself to put on all my planes, but if I have to get the version that turns your smoke trails red instead of this one I'm still going to be a little bit disappointed.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 25, 2016

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
I didn't play any of the PS1 era games so it's interesting to see the evolution. It's really missing something without the "radio play" aspect going on parallel to whatever you're doing; I wanna hear steely enemy pilots and panicky AAA gunners and somehow people up on their roofs watching it all go down.

Kadorhal posted:

On the subject of the music - I think this is the first time you really get a feel for what most of the soundtrack of the original game is like, and whether you'll like it. At the same time we're not even at the best songs in the game yet, but we're pretty close with this one.
It's pretty great, I regularly blast one of the later tracks when I'm dogfighting in DCS World, though I came to it through the PvP arenas in Infinity.
Some fans did make an Ace Combat mini campaign for DCS with reskins and voice acting etc. but if somehow there were ever a fully produced gearhead spergyjet sim campaign that dropped the meticulously researched and interesting organizational and geopolitical authenticity in favor of shameless, loopy anime melodrama I'd squeal and ineptly flap my hands together like a baby looking at jingling keys. I mean it would basically be the black tar version of what Ace Combat already is, a fantasy world adventure yarn to showcase real planes.

And using the afterburner more moves your unseen landing field closer :pseudo:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Kadorhal posted:

Anyway, as mentioned, this is one of those sorts of missions that helps set apart the PS1 games from the PS2 ones and beyond. You go out of your way to do something a little different and you get to choose what your next mission is.
Ah-ha! I was the only one in my circle of friends who unlocked all the medals and secret missions ("what do you mean, what mission with the paradropped containers?"), because I absolutely, totally destroyed every single white square/arrow on the radar. Every single one. Canyon run? I'd get the nimblest plane available and do a U turn to go back and run the branches I skipped in reverse. I was super bummed when they made it nearly impossible to erase the map clean in Electrosphere, grading you on time elapsed instead

Kadorhal posted:

I'm not going to give away how many missions are like that, but there's a noticeable amount. It's one of the things that adds a good degree of replayability to a game you may not otherwise want to go back to because of the controls.
I see this a lot, what's wrong with the AC2 controls?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hackbunny posted:

I see this a lot, what's wrong with the AC2 controls?

On the surface, relatively little. It's the exact same control scheme as the later Ace Combats, save for the omission of the special weapons with the Select button and target tracking view by holding the Triangle button. The thing that most people, myself included, don't seem to like about it though, especially after playing the later Ace Combats is just how sluggish and unresponsive the controls handle compared to the PS2-era games.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

On the surface, relatively little. It's the exact same control scheme as the later Ace Combats, save for the omission of the special weapons with the Select button and target tracking view by holding the Triangle button. The thing that most people, myself included, don't seem to like about it though, especially after playing the later Ace Combats is just how sluggish and unresponsive the controls handle compared to the PS2-era games.

It also seems rougher on a system level - I may be missing something but with the lock-on range being as short as it is it seems like, from video footage at least, head-to-heads are basically impossible unless you have killer reflexes or pass close enough to scrape the paint off of them.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Hmm, I read this somewhere but I want to confirm. Is it possible to clear, complete, and not absolutely fail a mission by dying after clearing the final objective>?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

nine-gear crow posted:

On the surface, relatively little. It's the exact same control scheme as the later Ace Combats, save for the omission of the special weapons with the Select button and target tracking view by holding the Triangle button.

Yeah I had basically no issue jumping straight from AC2 to AH. I found AC3 much harder to learn, the same planes fly in completely different ways and the starting planes in particular have such incredibly bad handling I always found myself scraping the ground with the bottom of the plane. Then I switched to analog controls :v: and finally made peace with a game I had despised when I first played it (AC2 still is the better game IMO, AC3 missions are so repetitive, and the maps are so gray)

How are the analog controls in AC2, by the way? anyone tried them? I tried to emulate a negcon with a dual-shock clone once but man, talk about awkward

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing that most people, myself included, don't seem to like about it though, especially after playing the later Ace Combats is just how sluggish and unresponsive the controls handle compared to the PS2-era games.

My girlfriend has a PS2 but she sold all her best games, including all the ACs, are they worth getting?

Akujiki posted:

It also seems rougher on a system level - I may be missing something but with the lock-on range being as short as it is it seems like, from video footage at least, head-to-heads are basically impossible unless you have killer reflexes or pass close enough to scrape the paint off of them.

It's absolutely totally possible to get head-to-head kills in AC2, multiple head-to-head kills in one go if you play on easy (one missile one kill) or with the fantasy plane (four missiles at once). In fact several missions start with an enemy squadron (typically four Sukhois) taking you head-on to give you a free round of jousting. The only catch is that there are no air-to-air collisions in AC2 (they were first implemented in AC3/Electrosphere), so you can cheese it too easily, no need to play chicken, just kamikaze it

InfinityComplex posted:

Hmm, I read this somewhere but I want to confirm. Is it possible to clear, complete, and not absolutely fail a mission by dying after clearing the final objective>?

Totally possible, like if you crash to the ground after the mission is won. The price of the plane will be deducted from your pay IIRC, since you're a mercenary and all

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hackbunny posted:

My girlfriend has a PS2 but she sold all her best games, including all the ACs, are they worth getting?

There's a reason they call 04, 5, and Zero the "Golden Trilogy"...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

and that reason is "absolutely get 5 and Zero"

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Just don't buy Assault Horizon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Basically, look at the OP and then don't buy any of the games I'm not LPing.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Just don't buy Assault Horizon.

Too late v:v:v

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

look at the OP

Doing that again just made me realize a few things about the early games. Technically, AC2 is the fourth game in the overall series.

The main thing is that the arcade Air Combat and the console game released outside of Japan under the same name are completely unrelated to each other - the arcade one was basically an F-16 simulator that had you shoot down some bombers, then go on to take out enemy fighters. Air Combat 22 is basically more of the same, though with three aircraft to choose from (F-14, YF-22 or some variant of the Su-27) and some sort-of branching paths that give you slightly different enemy placement and end with you taking on a different enemy HQ at the end - think Operation Katina from AC5 - rather than being an arcade port of the console Air Combat as I seem to recall someone saying earlier in the thread. It too is not in any way related to the console Air Combat except in the most general sense that both are flight simulators released by the same company in the same year.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 26, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

hackbunny posted:

Too late v:v:v

good, you're staying fly

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Just to spite you Psion I didn't do the QTE at the end of AH.

You know what I'm talking about :smuggo:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Lunethex posted:

rear end in a top hat. t:mad:t

drat it crow, get that Legacy video up at some point. :mad:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Lunethex posted:

You ruined the game for yourself :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Psion posted:

and that reason is "absolutely get 5 and Zero"

And 4. I for one enjoy 4 more than 5. 5 was a bit too clunky with the story choice gimmick, and while the end of 5 loving rules I really don't enjoy the first batch of missions.

This is all just bitching and moaning about awesome games though. 4,5, and Zero are top shelf video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That's suprising to me, because 4's mission design is like 100x clunkier than any part of 5, but it's not like 4 is bad by any means

hackbunny posted:

You ruined the game for yourself :colbert:

yeah, exactly. The only person you hurt was yourself, Lune.

• Locked thread