Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«150 »
Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 28, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sirotan posted:

Tool chat: owners of reciprocating saws, how often do you actually use them? I want to pick up a new cordless drill and I can either pick up the drill only, drill with a couple batteries, or the drill in a combo with a reciprocating saw which would save me ~$80 off buying the saw separately. There is some demo in the future where I could probably use one, or I could also just borrow my mom's...
They are great for demo/remodeling and sometimes cutting metal stuff roughly to length, but I don't use mine a ton more than that. They are also good for fixing fuckups when they are bad enough to fall into the 'demo' category.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I ordered these cabinet soft-close mechanisms (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and now that I'm getting around to installing them, I'm finding that they've got too much tension even at the lowest setting to allow the door to close without pushing it shut. I tried mounting them both as close to the hinge as I could get, and also further along the door. Any ideas on how to adjust them so that they don't have quite as much force?

I've been mounting them so that the face of the mechanism is flush with the back of the door, which is what you're supposed to do, but I guess I could set them back a few millimeters into the cabinet. That might be enough. It would require me sanding the lip of the mechanism though.
Most of those are meant to be used with self closing Euro hinges that have a spring in them that pulls the door closed. Are you using them with that, or with normal hinges? You can always just move the soft close thing back further so it just barely sticks out in front of the face frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOTRONIC FOR MODERATOR, MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They are great for demo/remodeling and sometimes cutting metal stuff roughly to length, but I don't use mine a ton more than that. They are also good for fixing fuckups when they are bad enough to fall into the 'demo' category.

And if you have an actual yard that you are maintaining they are freaking great with a pruning blade. Of if you are doing work that required cutting small amount of metal (pipes, etc) with the right blade.

So how you can use them is very situation specific. But in the right context they are very useful, not just for demo work.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 28, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

And if you have an actual yard that you are maintaining they are freaking great with a pruning blade. Of if you are doing work that required cutting small amount of metal (pipes, etc) with the right blade.

So how you can use them is very situation specific. But in the right context they are very useful, not just for demo work.

It is actually the one tool I really wish I had a cordless version of and that's probably why I don't use it as much as I might. My bigass, corded 13 amp, still made in USA, elbow breaking SuperSawzall just ain't that portable.

«150 »