Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Yeah, you’re honestly better off picking a project and buying the tools needed for it as you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Ditto last two. You'll probably want a small step ladder for indoors though.

You may have neighbors that are friendly and lend you a 16' ladder the one time you need it per year or whatever.

Just have basic tools like hammer, a few screwdrivers that you can flip the bits and shaft around for Philips and not, maybe a cordless drill.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Normally yeah it's just a buy as you go option, but I do understand that with COVID related anxiety, people might want to be as efficient as they can and minimize shopping trips.

Some things off the top of my head:

Painting supplys. Lots of tape, rollers, brushes (get a few good ones and a bunch of cheap ones), drop cloth, rolling trays and maybe a tote to keep them all in. Don't buy any of the gimmicky poo poo like "corner painting tools" or whatever. Learn to do it all with a steady hand.

Sand paper, multi pack with varying levels of grit.

All the tools previously mentioned. The DeWalt 20v drill is my biggest go to. It's so goddamn amazing and you can usually get it with an extra tool thrown in. I chose the DeWalt multipurpose work light (it's like a handheld flashlight that uses the dewalt batteries and has been used more times than I can think).

An electrical tester kit with outlet tester and voltmeter.

Does your house have cream colored switches and outlets and you're thinking of changing? Get a ton of switches, outlets and covers for both.

Leak detectors for your sink areas.

Caulk and a caulking gun for redoing any bathroom or kitchen caulk.

Power washer. Never thought I'd use one but goddamn it's useful for cleaning literally everything. Car, childs toys, driveway.

Various yard poisons for fireants or ticks if you think you may need them.

Hoses. After going through the cheap stuff I sprung for a good 100' non-kink line and a hose storage bing (the kind where it rolls up on a wheel) with some quick attach devices (that are like $3 each). I move my hoses around a lot and the quick attach devices are awesome.

Cheap sprinklers.

Hand spray nozzle thing.

Get some milorganite for your yard.

A seed/poison granular spreader.

Are your doors racked anywhere? You may need some weather stripping to fill in the gaps.

Brooms, rakes, shovels and garage wall mounted tool storage systems (you can get the cheap ones here, don't feel like you need to spend a ton).

I have some other thoughts but gotta go tend to the kids at the moment.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I could not live without my shop vac and knee pads.

You can get things delivered from Home Depot/Lowes if you don't want to go in the store. HD delivery tops out at $89, and once you get to that level you can buy literally the entire store and it will still be $89. They'll bring it in a box truck and you'll even get a free pallet out of the deal. This is what I did to get all my yard tools in April, highly recommended.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pallets, I love pallets

good posts so far, thanks all

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sirotan posted:

You can get things delivered from Home Depot/Lowes if you don't want to go in the store. HD delivery tops out at $89, and once you get to that level you can buy literally the entire store and it will still be $89. They'll bring it in a box truck and you'll even get a free pallet out of the deal. This is what I did to get all my yard tools in April, highly recommended.

Mine is doing curbside pickup as well. I needed a sheet of plywood and a bunch of rebar and other annoying poo poo - took them day and I got a text that it was ready for pickup. You show up, call a number (or in my case someone was standing out there with a tablet) and they pull your order out on a cart.

Would use that again.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 27, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah I've been doing a lot of curbside at both Lowe's and Home Depot lately. I've bought lumber, tools, concrete, and a bathtub. Works great and I wear a mask. Most of the time they do too, heh.

I've been able to get same-day pick up at Lowe's a few times. Home Depot is mostly a day or 2 later.

Amazon is just as good or better for tools than the big box places (when it comes to pandemic reasons, anyway). Wirecutter has a decent curated reviews for tools. Also don't forget to check Harbor Freight for cheap stuff you might need for something specific.

mutata fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 27, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looking back through my Lowes purchase history:

Fireblock caulk (or foam) - this is good for sealing gaps that bugs get through in the kitchen - like around the oven hood vent where code requires fireblock)
Bluetooth work earmuffs (I have these and love them - https://amzn.to/2NBeRAo)
Vice Grips.
Large containers of proper fuel/oil mixtures for all your small engines.
Get oil and extra carb filter/spark plug for your mower.
Live in an area it gets below freezing? Cheap styrofoam outdoor faucet covers.
Extra LED bulbs.
Painting? Check out the free sample and "oops" cheap paints.
shop towels or cheap rag bags
respirator masks (lol good luck but some do have some in store stock)
Do you need new hoses or dryer vent tubing for your washer/dryer?
Get some multipacks of screws/nails/wall anchors/picture hanging kits
Couple of 5 gallon buckets
Outdoor work gloves
A good pair of mechanix gloves
Goo gone
AC Return Air Filters
Wire Brushes
Gorilla Glue
Spackle
Outdoor trash bags (for leaf/yard clutter)
Interior duct vents for AC (ours had gotten a bit old and moldy/rusty)
Depending on your weedeater, an ugly head is a nice addition. Makes changing line SOOOO much easier.
Trash Can! Lowe's actually sells a good sized, sturdy Blue Hawk brand (their store brand) lidded and wheeled can for $20. Otherwise it's really lovely ones for $20 or a good one for like $60-80 (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-32-Gallon-Black-Plastic-Wheeled-Trash-Can-with-Lid/1001429702). It's surprisingly good for the price.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lowes just told us our pickup order we placed 3 days ago wasn't ready because they take 7 days to fill them :psyduck:

Home Depot has taken at most 4 hours all year

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?
Anyone have advice about building a detached garage? I'd definitely hire someone to put in the slab, but as far as the structure I've been thinking about getting a kit from some place like https://www.diypolebarns.com/ or https://www.versatube.com/ since they seem pretty foolproof. Does anybody have experience with those companies, or recommendations for a different manufacturer?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Where do you live? What kind of building skills do you have? Do you know how to run equipment (skid steer, telehandler style fork truck, etc)?

If the answer to the first question is "anywhere near the Amish" go find the local farmer/ag newspaper and turn to the back and start calling. You can't beat the pricing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well I'm building one soon, more of a shed really, but kinda big at 5x5 meters, will be doing everything myself, sourcing timber from local sawmill, so I'll get back to you in a couple of years. Only thing I am hiring out so far is to dig away material for the foundation.

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?

Motronic posted:

Where do you live? What kind of building skills do you have? Do you know how to run equipment (skid steer, telehandler style fork truck, etc)?

If the answer to the first question is "anywhere near the Amish" go find the local farmer/ag newspaper and turn to the back and start calling. You can't beat the pricing.

Basically no real skills or heavy equipment, hence the appeal of the kits. This would basically be babby's first construction project. The "fun" of learning is part of the appeal of the project, though.

I'm in NY, so there might be some Amish nearby. It would certainly be cool to have a good old fashioned barn raisin'.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fallom posted:

Lowes just told us our pickup order we placed 3 days ago wasn't ready because they take 7 days to fill them :psyduck:

Home Depot has taken at most 4 hours all year

I figured out that Lowe's has a stupid policy where if one item you order ends up on backorder, they won't fill the thing at all until that item comes in. That's likely what's happened (I had to call the line to figure it out). Other than that my orders have all been filled in an hour or two at most.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Rhusitaurion posted:

Basically no real skills or heavy equipment, hence the appeal of the kits. This would basically be babby's first construction project. The "fun" of learning is part of the appeal of the project, though.

I'm in NY, so there might be some Amish nearby. It would certainly be cool to have a good old fashioned barn raisin'.

My dad's just south of Syracuse and has had Amish folks swing by and offer him money to cut down and take his walnut trees

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhusitaurion posted:

You definitely have access to Amish business that do this, and putting in a structure of that type is definitely not an advisable babbys first construction project.

Have some Amish dudes put up the barn, roof and side it. They will tell you what needs doing first/who to call for site prep and concrete.

Just have them do the bare minimum to get it under roof. Then do the finish work yourself.

Unless you want to try to learn all the things all at once - just the some of the things requiring equipment will be at least a skid steer/tractor with a loader for site prep, some kind of post hole digger with the ability to get down 4 feet, setting 20+ foot posts precisely in the right places and exactly straight and level and then later on the ability to get trusses on top of the thing and secured. Then there's gonna be stone, and lots of it. Sure...you can get it delivered in a lump in your yard and use a wheelbarrow I guess.

Then there's just the bad idea of building such a structure without previous experience and nobody there to provide the kind of guidance that keeps you from making expensive mistakes that will compromise the longevity and utility of the building. There can be mistakes as early as site selection that can totally bone you.

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?

Motronic posted:

Unless you want to try to learn all the things all at once - just the some of the things requiring equipment will be at least a skid steer/tractor with a loader for site prep, some kind of post hole digger with the ability to get down 4 feet, setting 20+ foot posts precisely in the right places and exactly straight and level and then later on the ability to get trusses on top of the thing and secured. Then there's gonna be stone, and lots of it. Sure...you can get it delivered in a lump in your yard and use a wheelbarrow I guess.

Well, like I said I'm definitely planning on having someone do the foundation work, since I'm not under any illusions that I could do that part competently. I figured I could probably handle putting together a kit afterwards, though - Versatube in particular seems to claim that any dope can do it with basic tools.

Definitely going to investigate the Amish option, though. Thanks for the sobering advice!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhusitaurion posted:

Well, like I said I'm definitely planning on having someone do the foundation work, since I'm not under any illusions that I could do that part competently. I figured I could probably handle putting together a kit afterwards, though - Versatube in particular seems to claim that any dope can do it with basic tools.

Definitely going to investigate the Amish option, though. Thanks for the sobering advice!

I was talking about pole barns, and I don't think you understand that pole barns are built on dirt and you need to sink a bunch of very long poles into the ground 4 feet deep (at least for your frost line). There is no "foundation" for a pole barn.

Versatube sells steel buildings. That's not a pole barn. The site prep is different and done at different times. You probably could bolt one together from a kit, but you'd end up paying more than what you would for a pole barn put up by competent contractors and learn basically nothing useful about construction other than "how to install a steel building kit". None of that knowledge is reasonably portable to anything other than a steel building, certainly not to something light your house.

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?
Yeah, fair enough, I didn't really consider that the 2 I linked are not really comparable buildings. I guess I'm more just trying to figure out what's out there as far as decent ways to build a garage or get one built. Maybe that's too open ended a question for this thread, but it'd be good to know if there's anything to definitely avoid.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pmchem posted:

what are the absolutely essential things a homeowner needs that can be purchased from Home Depot? I'll be making a trip there soon and want to make as few trips as possible.

we're moving into a new house shortly; going from a renter to living in a place we own. yard, basement, garage, all that. getting lawn gear like a lawnmower, weed whacker, a wet/dry vac, a ladder, etc. other than some basic tools and normal cleaning supplies we own basically nothing required to maintain a place.

Is it a new house or a not new house? If it's a not new house, spending 5$ on a pack of shims is a pro buy.

Also if you haven't already I'd survey your new place to make sure all of your storage is configured intelligently. Putting extra/more/different shelves in your closets/pantry/garage/etc is inexpensive and easy before all of your poo poo is in the way.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'd bet an amish-built barn will be much better quality than those.. no idea how it compares on cost tho

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

So, there is water penetration happening right at the base of the vertical trim board. I love home ownership.

$4300 to replace all the siding in that section, redo all the flashing, fix any decking damage, replace some of the trim, reinforce the area with extra waterproof layering before they reinstall the shingles. I have two extra boxes of shingles they can use so they don’t have to supply, and they will only prime all the new siding/trim so I can paint it. This saved me at least $200 in negotiations. Need to clarify a couple of items from the quote and then we can schedule in a couple of weeks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How did they trim that siding? A brush cutter?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Going to be repainting a fence soon, any necessary recommended prep aside from hosing it down and brushing off dirt etc before painting?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It wasn’t trimmed properly with enough gap to the shingles. Wicked into the end so it’s rotten as hell. That’s from me checking out the extent of the damage when I discovered it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Going to be repainting a fence soon, any necessary recommended prep aside from hosing it down and brushing off dirt etc before painting?

If you just want the paint to stay on? That's probably fine. If you want a really nice result then I'd recommend sanding it down enough that you've got a consistent and roughed-up surface for your new paint to adhere to.

Painting directly on top of an old bad paintjob will result in a new bad paintjob, but sometimes that's enough.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

If you just want the paint to stay on? That's probably fine. If you want a really nice result then I'd recommend sanding it down enough that you've got a consistent and roughed-up surface for your new paint to adhere to.

Painting directly on top of an old bad paintjob will result in a new bad paintjob, but sometimes that's enough.

Honestly the existing paint is in good shape, but the wife wants to do something like this to make it fun:

It’s a 15ft strip of fence that faces a back alley.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
E: accidental post.

Speaking of, I should get around to replacing those three rotted fence posts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhusitaurion posted:

Yeah, fair enough, I didn't really consider that the 2 I linked are not really comparable buildings. I guess I'm more just trying to figure out what's out there as far as decent ways to build a garage or get one built. Maybe that's too open ended a question for this thread, but it'd be good to know if there's anything to definitely avoid.

It really depends on application and location. What are you trying to do here? Build a thing that can store two cars that isn't attached to your house? Build a shop that you'll have a lift in? Build a shop that you'll do....wood working in? Office or not? Heated? Cooled? How much of it (office or the whole thing) for how much of the year?

Also, do you care what it looks like? There's a visual aspect to this as well.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 28, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Installing stair treads and risers this weekend, so I got to go buy a new finish nailer. Always love when a project necessitates buying a new tool or two. I still need to replace trim throughout the house, so it'll definitely get put to use.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

pmchem posted:

what are the absolutely essential things a homeowner needs that can be purchased from Home Depot? I'll be making a trip there soon and want to make as few trips as possible.

we're moving into a new house shortly; going from a renter to living in a place we own. yard, basement, garage, all that. getting lawn gear like a lawnmower, weed whacker, a wet/dry vac, a ladder, etc. other than some basic tools and normal cleaning supplies we own basically nothing required to maintain a place.
Just had to chime in--I guess the others let you in for the bad news. Once you get your house, there will be days were you end up making three trips. And someday, long after you've owned you house--you'll walk in and walk out, having spent less than $20 and feel like high-fiving everyone on the way to your car.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HycoCam posted:

Just had to chime in--I guess the others let you in for the bad news. Once you get your house, there will be days were you end up making three trips. And someday, long after you've owned you house--you'll walk in and walk out, having spent less than $20 and feel like high-fiving everyone on the way to your car.

And the hot dog guy will be laughing hysterically in 30 minutes when you're back spending $0.18 on some fitting.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"Hey, yeah, Plumbers? Yeah, can you just come park your van outside my house? No, I'm DIYing it, I just don't know what combination of 13 different little fittings I'm gonna need."

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

HycoCam posted:

Eventually "I don't want to make another trip to the store" turns in to "I don't want to make another trip to the giant piles of tools I have"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey, if any of y'all have to do any concrete grinding indoors and you have to buy a grinder, and you're thinking "I bet I don't need the vacuum attachment dust shroud because gently caress paying $50 extra for it" or even " I bet I can make my own vacuum dust shroud thingy", just spend the $50 on the dust shroud.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Bought a Bosch 500 dishwasher and a Badger 900 Insinketator

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Got back to the mountains and some rain after a weekend away.

Wooden stairs are in, weirdly this bit is probably the most exciting because we can now access the terrace easily.

Crépi à l'ancienne is on the basement and a couple of other walls and... looks grim like it is but I'm sure will look great once it's painted.

I ordered that side arm parasol, but it occurs to me that if we can get the anchor for it embedded in the concrete of the terrace that would be way better than having a separate stand, so looking into doing that since there's a delay with the flagstones.

We went to the Italian part of the country for the weekend, it is very lovely and looks like this https://i.imgur.com/HpmEW5J.jpg

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Honestly the existing paint is in good shape, but the wife wants to do something like this to make it fun:

It’s a 15ft strip of fence that faces a back alley.

This would be cute af in pastel ice cream colors with some white and chocolate sections.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

peanut posted:

This would be cute af in pastel ice cream colors with some white and chocolate sections.

Yeah it’s def not gonna be quite as vibrant as this but I just needed a visual aid. But fortunately Home Depot carries Glidden exterior paint for about $21 a gallon so it’s not gonna be too crazy as she has 6 colors picked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Maigius posted:

Insinketator

Garbage disposal units are the devil. :devil: