Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Have electric lawn mowers caught up to gas powered ones yet? I'd like a good self-propelled electric mower that could do my front and back yard (about 5000 sq ft) in one session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, even upgrading our 90s forced air furnace to a new 95% efficient one will pay for itself over 10 years.

Its not apples to apples as I did houswwrap/insulated siding and windows at the same time but my new furnace paid for itself in one season and I still haven't finished insulating the attic. Best I could tell the old furnace was from 1966 and when new was 72% efficient, it was also easily 3x the size of the new one.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It sucks, but you might be able to reap benefits of greater efficiency. I had to replace my 1967 boiler a few years and got a Energy Kinetics, went from 3 or 4 fill-ups per year to one every 9 months.

Sadly, this one is from 2011 and is already a 95% efficient. No efficiency gains to be had.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
When I looked a few years ago at furnace upgrades the higher the efficiency seemed to get diminishing returns for the investment, is 95% still the sweet spot?

I recall the higher efficiency required changing to the different, narrower vents.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Have electric lawn mowers caught up to gas powered ones yet? I'd like a good self-propelled electric mower that could do my front and back yard (about 5000 sq ft) in one session.

There’s been a bunch of talk about it in the tool thread lately but yes, the new electric mowers are quite nice and should last pretty long on a mow.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

priznat posted:

When I looked a few years ago at furnace upgrades the higher the efficiency seemed to get diminishing returns for the investment, is 95% still the sweet spot?

I recall the higher efficiency required changing to the different, narrower vents.

Not sure about the vents, but doing the math last year, 95% was the sweet spot for sure. It was something like 40% more expensive for the next one up (97? 98?).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I had one of those plastic hooks that glue on to the wall, pulled it off the wrong way and it took some paint with it. Now I can see the dryall under.

Should I just fill that with hole with spackle so it's smooth before painting? Also I'm noticing my walls have kind of a texture to them.

It's not a huge blemish but it's right next to the front door so it's noticeable.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

I had one of those plastic hooks that glue on to the wall, pulled it off the wrong way and it took some paint with it. Now I can see the dryall under.

Should I just fill that with hole with spackle so it's smooth before painting? Also I'm noticing my walls have kind of a texture to them.

It's not a huge blemish but it's right next to the front door so it's noticeable.

You won't notice it once it's painted. You have the general idea though. Spackle it in, feather it out while doing so, sand it levelish, paint. I just do as many coats of the tinted as it takes for those quarter sized patches rather than bothering with any kind of primer.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I hung 4 sheets of drywall today. Gonna start mudding it tonight. I'm hiring someone next time I have to do something like this. :negative:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

The E-Go will do .25 acre on a charge.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bioshuffle posted:

My last house was on a quarter acre lot, and my Ryobi was able to do the whole thing on one battery --- Provided I kept up on things, and didn't miss a week of mowing. When it got a little longer, it wouldn't quite make the whole thing on one battery. My understanding is the ego ones run a little longer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

stealie72 posted:

Not sure about the vents, but doing the math last year, 95% was the sweet spot for sure. It was something like 40% more expensive for the next one up (97? 98?).

Thinking about it I think the furnaces that support the narrow vent + ducting (something like 3" pipe?) have to be the 96% efficiency or higher, not that the higher efficiencies have to have those. Apparently those small vents are really not worth it. Even talking to the furnace sales guy they don't recommend for most installations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

I hung 4 sheets of drywall today. Gonna start mudding it tonight. I'm hiring someone next time I have to do something like this. :negative:

Any tips? Hubby and I are putting up cement board for tile on a wall I framed out. I'm thinking we might put it on while the wall is still flat on the floor and just do the very top and bottom after the wall goes up.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

BonerGhost posted:

Any tips? Hubby and I are putting up cement board for tile on a wall I framed out. I'm thinking we might put it on while the wall is still flat on the floor and just do the very top and bottom after the wall goes up.

Not really, it's not super difficult, just messy and annoying. Lots of dust, and I made a heck of a mess all over the floor mudding it.

I'd definitely recommend spring for the drywall t-square, it's like $15 and very much worth it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

I'd definitely recommend spring for the drywall t-square, it's like $15 and very much worth it.

Also a sharp knife so you can just score the board and snap it rather than having to actually cut it fully.

And one of these to save your back.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003CT4DAE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh, and get a jab saw, and if you're feeling fancy an oscillating multi-tool, both excellent for when you really need to cut it, e.g. cutting out for sockets or whatever.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I replaces my 1960s furnace with a 96% and it runs pvc outside. My chimney is no longer used. I went 96 because it was like um $100 more and I got more in rebates than if I went with the 95.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

We have all those things except the carrier, we just carry the sheets together.

Is the T square significantly easier to use than a speed square and long level for scoring?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

Is the T square significantly easier to use than a speed square and long level for scoring?

With a T square I can measure on the end of a sheet (standing on it's side), hook the T on the the end I just measured, bend over the sheet and score along it upwards, smack it from the back, cut the remaining paper, sand/scrape the cut edge and head for the wall. Once you do this a few times it becomes a pretty smooth process that greatly reduces the mess and space requirements on the floor where you're cutting.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BonerGhost posted:

It's not a requirement, but if you're likely to be carrying sheets by yourself, pretty great addition.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Whoever came up with orangepeel/knockdown texture/whatever should be shot on site.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Omne posted:

Whoever came up with orangepeel/knockdown texture/whatever should be shot on site.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Omne posted:

Uh, isn't knockdown super easy to blend in when you're patching (I thought that was the case at least - we have skip-trowel everywhere and it is loving impossible to match/blend). Why the hate for knock-down? Or purely an aesthetic hate?

And yeah, drywall, if you're talking more than one or two sheets - just hire that out. Easily worth the cost. Pros will be way better and way faster than you, the cost isn't that bad, and the end result will be better.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 20, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Omne posted:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

ROJO posted:

Uh, isn't knockdown super easy to blend in when you're patching (I thought that was the case at least - we have skip-trowel everywhere and it is loving impossible to match/blend). Why the hate for knock-down? Or purely an aesthetic hate?

And yeah, drywall, if you're talking more than one or two sheets - just hire that out. Easily worth the cost. Pros will be way better and way faster than you, the cost isn't that bad, and the end result will be better.

No, it is not easy to match when you're patching. It is drat near impossible. I hate it.

Also, I have a door that sticks a bit, at the bottom. I tried tightening the screws at the bottom, but some of them just spin. I guess I need to go to the hardware store and get longer ones?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Get a long screw, like a deck screw, and sink it into the middle hole in the plate. It’ll bite into the frame more to help square the door. You can also use the toothpick and glue trick to add some material to the screw holes.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 21, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Knockdown is pretty easy to match and you can get orange peel texture in a can at the big box places. I used some diyer's tutorial off of YouTube for a hole in my ceiling. She used regular joint compound, a plastic grocery bag, and a scraper.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What’s the bag for?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
You apply the joint compound with the bag to draw down peaks, then use a light light touch with a scraper to "knock down" the peaks.

Here's my lovely tutorial from Fix It Fast: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post506885402

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The t square was worth it, thanks for the recs

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So my house was built in 1971 and I plan to paint and re-floor 3 bedrooms.

Should I just paint over the existing color and stick my metaphorical fingats in my ears or should I get it checked for lead paint?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deviant posted:

So my house was built in 1971 and I plan to paint and re-floor 3 bedrooms.

Should I just paint over the existing color and stick my metaphorical fingats in my ears or should I get it checked for lead paint?

That's not sticking your fingers in your ears. Both lead paint and asbestos that are in good condition can be properly abated by coating/encapsulating. In fact, that's suggested in a lot of areas because disturbing it and transporting to a land fill is riskier in general that just leaving it in place.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

That's not sticking your fingers in your ears. Both lead paint and asbestos that are in good condition can be properly abated by coating/encapsulating. In fact, that's suggested in a lot of areas because disturbing it and transporting to a land fill is riskier in general that just leaving it in place.

Another layer of paint it is! I do wanna tear up the carpets and do laminate, and the rest of the house has had that done, so I imagine the floors are probably not hiding any surprises.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deviant posted:

Another layer of paint it is! I do wanna tear up the carpets and do laminate, and the rest of the house has had that done, so I imagine the floors are probably not hiding any surprises.

Make sure you test first: most lead pain can only be covered with oil based paint. You want to do a test patch and MAKE SURE it bonds. If you want to use something other than (what will likely be high gloss oil paint) there are primers that will stick to both lead paints and latex paints that you'll need to use as a mid coat.

Clean the lead paint with TSP but obviously do not sand it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

Make sure you test first: most lead pain can only be covered with oil based paint. You want to do a test patch and MAKE SURE it bonds. If you want to use something other than (what will likely be high gloss oil paint) there are primers that will stick to both lead paints and latex paints that you'll need to use as a mid coat.

Clean the lead paint with TSP but obviously do not sand it.

The rest of the house has what looks like a latex based interior paint like any other, so I'm prooooobably ok, but I'll check.

Edit: oh, the default paint is in the garage i can just check the can.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've got a 6"x6" wood post that's got an ugly crack forming. I know that these are typically not anything to be concerned of, but the issue is that the bolts for the hinge that holds the 6' gate happens to land directly in the crack. You can see what I mean in the photo below. What's happening is that the weight of the gate, combined with the extremely unfortunately located screws, is slowly worsening the crack. This is causing my gate to dip, and I'm concerned could lead to serious damage to the post.

My dad and I spent some time batting this around and I think my best bet would be some sort of metal brace that wraps around the post that I can tighten with a bolt (second image below.) Do these things already exist in this fashion? Do they have a name? If not, how would one fashion something like that themselves?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Greetings fellow homeowners! DIY Secret Santa signups are now open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Has anyone done a patio rebuild/extension and screened in addition? Somewhat of a cross post from landscaping, but I sketched up what it would look like. Other than the usual find a good contractor advice, anything in specific to think about? I would want to attach the roof to the side of the second floor.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Do they have a name? If not, how would one fashion something like that themselves?

I don't know what the exact thing you drew would be called, but you can probably get a post band or slightly modify a post base (or cap, maybe) to hold this together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
A real doozy popped up in the home improvement subreddit today. Like I’m certainly an amateur myself but holy poo poo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/ixlz2y/diy_beginner_i_attempted_to_do_my_own_laminate/

https://imgur.com/gallery/lyX03IE