Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe i'll upgrade to that in the future but our local place said Kitchen Aid, Bosch, etc. were delayed till June or so and everything else was quickly going. There's a bit of a housing boom right now here. So we stuck with Samsung since we can actually have it in time for mid-March move-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.
I have an extremely blue bathroom I just started destroying

Wheeee!!

FACK!

Bathroom will eventually be pink and green. Hail Satan.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

So we stuck with Samsung since we can actually have it in time for mid-March move-in.

That should last just long enough to get you through the 6 month back order period.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Matching paints to whatever a previous homeowner threw on there is tedious and I hate it. Of course, we need matching colors for white and grey paint- which there are roughly a thousand variations of, plus ceiling and trim- as well as a light yellow that was used in about half the house.

Looking forward to repainting everything in a few years once the kids are older and having complete records and lil’ touchup cans available.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, too bad that even then there are small variations in the tint, before taking into account fading and such.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

H110Hawk posted:

Don't let stock numbers stop you from getting the Bosch you deserve. Or whatever else you want unless they're talking literally 6 months. Unless the stuff is literally broken appliances are easy to swap when you move in and if you don't get a Bosch dishwasher you will be shunned from the Home Zone.

Is Bosch that much better than Kitchenaid? There's a nice looking Kitchenaid for sale at Costco, but if the Bosch is that much more reliable then I'll make the effort to find one.

In other news, is there any reason why the OTR microwave in our rental would suddenly be tripping our circuit breaker when it was fine yesterday? As far as I can tell the microwave and range are the only things on that circuit. God loving dammit I cannot wait to get out of this house.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

shirts and skins posted:

From what I hear it doesn't really matter where you buy big kitchen appliances, since they seem to cost the same wherever, and also that there are a lot of things in short supply these days due to COVID, such as Bosch dishwashers. Let me know if that's :wrong:

That being said, are President's Day sales worthwhile enough for us to grab a couple things on sale this week? If the sales don't move the needle then I suppose we can just wait and see what comes up - would give us more time to research too.

This sounds true. I'd just see if you have a local appliance place and use them, they should have the same process too. My region did (local to my county, 3 stores total).

Get a monthly sub to consumer reports, cancel when done.

All reviews of all appliances online will be poo poo, I found them totally unhelpful. Good luck.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

shirts and skins posted:

Is Bosch that much better than Kitchenaid?

yes.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

shirts and skins posted:

In other news, is there any reason why the OTR microwave in our rental would suddenly be tripping our circuit breaker when it was fine yesterday? As far as I can tell the microwave and range are the only things on that circuit. God loving dammit I cannot wait to get out of this house.

Something else taking power on the same circuit or a legit issue.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

falz posted:

Something else taking power on the same circuit or a legit issue.

Gonna be the latter then because from what I can tell this circuit is microwave and gas range only. FML, this house is falling apart around us. Time to call the property manager, again.

Fair to assume that snaking an extension cord to the microwave is a big no-no?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

Is Bosch that much better than Kitchenaid? There's a nice looking Kitchenaid for sale at Costco, but if the Bosch is that much more reliable then I'll make the effort to find one.

What makes it better? Shiny buttons? You need 1 button: auto. In short:

And yes, if your microwave is tripping the breaker that's a real problem. You can try unplugging your stove and seeing if it goes away but I would just call maintenance. Also don't run an extension cord for a high demand device. It could be a worn out microwave, worn out breaker, or now - both! (Cascading failure.)

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

shirts and skins posted:

Gonna be the latter then because from what I can tell this circuit is microwave and gas range only. FML, this house is falling apart around us. Time to call the property manager, again.

Pretty sure microwaves are supposed to be on a dedicated 20A circuit, they pull a ton of power. Might not be depending on the age of the place, but it doesn't change the fact that it SHOULD be on a dedicated circuit.

If it suddenly started, then you probably have a real issue.

Running something like a microwave off an extension cord isn't a great idea, but more likely when you try to run it you'll trip whatever circuit it's plugged in to because that circuit will have other loads on it. At best it's a good troubleshooting step to see if it's the microwave or if there's something else wrong with that circuit, but I wouldn't do any more than a quick test.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

shirts and skins posted:

As long as its rated for the wattage of the microwave, you're fine to use it temporarily. A 14 gauge cord is good for 15 amps/1800W, so on a 15A circuit the breaker will protect that.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 23, 2021

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Thanks, all. Fuckin pain in the rear end. Can't wait to move, so all these problems can become problems for my pocketbook, too! :homebrew:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
bosch is not the be-all end-all brand you know. i'm sure they make a nice dishwasher, but we have a bosch fridge and it sucks my rear end in a top hat. everything that can possibly break on it has broken, often multiple times. everyone we've had work on it tells us "you should replace this thing". my bosch ebike works great though :getin:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

bosch is not the be-all end-all brand you know. i'm sure they make a nice dishwasher, but we have a bosch fridge and it sucks my rear end in a top hat. everything that can possibly break on it has broken, often multiple times. everyone we've had work on it tells us "you should replace this thing". my bosch ebike works great though :getin:

Yeah literally it's like dishwashers and laser tape measures. gently caress their other appliances, fuel injectors.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

bosch is not the be-all end-all brand you know

Bosch quality has been going down recently, to the point that it is pretty comparable to other brands once you get out of the bargain basement models.

I stayed at a rental beach house that had all new, high-end Bosch appliances, and the 800-series fridge was one of the biggest pieces of poo poo I've seen. Same with the 800 series drawer microwave.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

What makes it better? Shiny buttons? You need 1 button: auto. In short:

We use the quick cycle on our Bosch a lot, esp during thanksgiving/christmas - 30 min on the quick cycle, 2:09 on "auto".

As for what makes them better - the main concern we've had is how noisy they are. We went from a contractor special lovely GE to a Bosch and we could finally stand to run the dishwasher and watch TV at the same time in our apartment.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

luminalflux posted:

We use the quick cycle on our Bosch a lot, esp during thanksgiving/christmas - 30 min on the quick cycle, 2:09 on "auto".

I've never been willing to "risk" the quick cycle. Does it work well if everything is "fresh" ? We just use the 2:09 auto cycle and everything comes out clean and dry every time.

Also oops back 4 years ago when we bought this thing I must have set the "extra dry" time hidden option because it's been 2:3X since I can recall, with the last 30 minutes being just drying. I imagine I did that for the baby bottles in a desperate bid to get them dry. It was a fools errand but I forgot about it until a months ago. I imagine I use a lot less electricity now too.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I've never been willing to "risk" the quick cycle. Does it work well if everything is "fresh" ? We just use the 2:09 auto cycle and everything comes out clean and dry every time.

Yeah it mostly skips a lot of the drying cycle and it's good enough for the most part if you can stand wiping some stuff down, but i also usually rinse off stuff before putting them in the washer. And if we're doing a bunch of cooking, it's not too much of a hassle to take a couple minutes wiping things down.

Rinse aid helps a lot too - if there's none in there the short cycle jumps to 1 hr and the normal from 2:09 to 2:35

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Yeah it mostly skips a lot of the drying cycle and it's good enough for the most part if you can stand wiping some stuff down, but i also usually rinse off stuff before putting them in the washer. And if we're doing a bunch of cooking, it's not too much of a hassle to take a couple minutes wiping things down.

Rinse aid helps a lot too - if there's none in there the short cycle jumps to 1 hr and the normal from 2:09 to 2:35

Yeah, we keep the jet dry stocked up and use the fanciest cascade pods. Good to know. We'll have to give it a shot sometime, because knocking out the giant pots and pans in 30m sounds great. Honestly with the third rack we so rarely have >2 loads we've never really tried.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

gently caress i hate dish pods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBO8neWw04

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

I had a ton of trouble with them when I used to put them in the little detergent door, but now I just toss them in the bottom of the dishwasher before I close it and my plates come out clean every time :shrug:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have used Finish® Quantum® Powerball with ActivBlu™ tabs or pacs in my Bosch® for 10 years and stuff always comes out clean. Supposedly the tab breaks down at different times, so you do get a prewash but I've never tested it, all I know is it works.

very needs-suiting imo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I just watched this and I'll keep this guys stuff in mind should I ever start removing my dishes after the 15 minute prewash and not 2 hours later when it's done. This is so stupid and his whole thesis is "Dishwashers don't clean your dishes if you stop them mid cycle." Turns out my body is also dirty if I jump out of the shower after just getting wet. The only cogent point he got out before I stopped watching was it was wasteful to plug them into the hot water tap since i's unlikely you're getting hot water by the time it's done filling anyways.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, too bad that even then there are small variations in the tint, before taking into account fading and such.

They can usually get close enough if you bring them a chip to scan.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

H110Hawk posted:

I just watched this and I'll keep this guys stuff in mind should I ever start removing my dishes after the 15 minute prewash and not 2 hours later when it's done. This is so stupid and his whole thesis is "Dishwashers don't clean your dishes if you stop them mid cycle." Turns out my body is also dirty if I jump out of the shower after just getting wet. The only cogent point he got out before I stopped watching was it was wasteful to plug them into the hot water tap since i's unlikely you're getting hot water by the time it's done filling anyways.

Yeah his methodology is poo poo, but he cut a leaky hole in his old dishwasher and talked for thirty minutes about it so who’s to say who’s right.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh yeah, that one was posted a month or so ago in one of these threads. I can count on one hand the number of times in the last decade things didn't get clean in my dishwashers, both the old GE "water-user 6000" and the new efficient and slow Bosch. I do not pre-rinse or any of that nonsense because the appliance I'm putting the dishes into is supposed to be doing all of that. And with few exceptions I've found they in fact do that job, and do it with simply filling the soap thing and letting it rip. Or using the powerball things in the soap dispenser on the Bosch - which is exactly what they tell yo to use and.....surprise, it works when you follow the instructions.

That whole video seems more like a guy with an old dishwasher and an ill fitting sport coat that was out of other content ideas.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 24, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I knew I should have stopped buying pods, this morning I came out to get a coffee mug out of the dishwasher and despite putting a pod in and not turning it on last night everything was still dirty. PODS :argh:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Literally the only issue we've ever had with pods is forgetting to dry off the dispenser. If it's wet, the pod will partially dissolve before it pops open and it'll be a sticky gooey mess that never fully rinses off.

That's all.

I'm slowly unlearning the "scrub the hell out of dishes before loading them" thing that my parents drilled in to me when I was a kid. Dried on oatmeal is a problem so that definitely needs work before loading, but most everything else gets cleaned pretty well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why so aggro? If you actually listen to the video he says he knows it cleans things after 2 hours. The predetergent is mostly to keep all the gunk from building up as the 1st water spray leaves a lot of stuff to filter out. Also running the hot water before you start.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Why so aggro? If you actually listen to the video he says he knows it cleans things after 2 hours. The predetergent is mostly to keep all the gunk from building up as the 1st water spray leaves a lot of stuff to filter out. Also running the hot water before you start.

It took him 30 minutes to tell that the prewash is more effective when run with hot water and soap.

But who gives a poo poo how effective the prewash is? I care how effective the overall process is. And CR, etc have shown no difference with that prewash process. It’s a waste of hot water and soap.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
I just installed my Bosch 800 series tonight and it's loud as gently caress. I am super pissed, thought this thing was supposed to be "silent." Red dot to let me know it's running sounded cool but now its just a sick joke.

Is it possible I installed it wrong somehow?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

It is factually true but intentionally misleading as the implication is that there is something wrong with your dishwasher. It's not relevant because dishwashers are not meant to be stopped 1/8th of the way through their cycle.

The running the hot water part is similar but at least has a coherent problem statement and solution, which he then goes off into la-la land about with his secondary solution of running the water in advance so that the prewash alone is hot. If the dishwasher needed hot water it would heat it up. Such as when it does just that for the detergent cycle.

Mine only gets the coldest of water at 1am with a pod and rinse aid. Horror of horrors if you buy a modern dishwasher they just work. The only thing that could possibly be a better thesis would be "improving the performance of older bad dishwashers..." but he doesn't. So it's dumb.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah uh empty it out and verify that the sprayers spin freely by hand. Check water feed and drain for obstructions. Check some YouTubes for working examples?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

He's just an eccentric dude who makes silly videos about random interesting things in life. Jesus y'all are treating him like Consumer Reports. His other videos are about GeoSafari toys and how lava lamps work.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

mcgreenvegtables posted:

I just installed my Bosch 800 series tonight and it's loud as gently caress. I am super pissed, thought this thing was supposed to be "silent." Red dot to let me know it's running sounded cool but now its just a sick joke.

Is it possible I installed it wrong somehow?

If you are hearing anything but just the smallest of hums next to it something ain't right. From more than a few feet away the red dot should be your only indication.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mutata posted:

He's just an eccentric dude who makes silly videos about random interesting things in life. Jesus y'all are treating him like Consumer Reports. His other videos are about GeoSafari toys and how lava lamps work.

It's got good pacing, production value, and is well written. It was humorous and made me curious about his other videos, except this one is super dumb. That's fine. My favorite YouTube channels make dumb videos from time to time. This one was a mistake and you shouldn't believe it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

His and by extension my point was that the prewash cycle isn't effective without detergent. And it doesn't get any if you put a pod in the auto release thing.

It seems reasonable to me and now I put some liquid detergent in the prewash cup every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Comrade Cakewalk posted:

I have an extremely blue bathroom I just started destroying

Wheeee!!

FACK!

Bathroom will eventually be pink and green. Hail Satan.

Good luck hail Satan