Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Is there a pest control thread? I came out find these little holes in the deck today. From my research I think they are wood boring beetles (mainly based on the evidence and the fact my beagle tried to eat a big beetle in the back yard the other night). My question is are there treatment options or if you have wood boring pests do you pretty much just wait for the wood to collapse and replace it?

We've been in this house last than a year but I think the deck is fairly old so it will need to be replaced eventually. I just don't want these things getting in the house itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:/ I've only ever had powder post beetles in (cheap) furniture. That was resolved by leaving it outside for a week...

Smoke, varnish, and/or demolition?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Budget Dracula posted:

treatment options

Bug killer.

I'm sure some kinds are better than others but I just go to the store and buy what looks good, they all seem to work. About twice a year I spray the perimeter of the house and it is quite effective at keeping crawling insects away. If it were something like termites then you might need to get fancy but they sell poison for those too.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Well the previous owners had a termite company under contract that passed the warranty onto us, the inspector came out for the annual inspection and just said they were spider webs but then he showed me a bunch of carpenter bee holes I missed.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

wormil posted:

Bug killer.

I'm sure some kinds are better than others but I just go to the store and buy what looks good, they all seem to work. About twice a year I spray the perimeter of the house and it is quite effective at keeping crawling insects away. If it were something like termites then you might need to get fancy but they sell poison for those too.

Just try not to get any on you. Remember, as somebody said in I think the TFR Cold War thread (or maybe the PYF nasty chemical thread), "the only difference between insecticides and chemical weapons is the size of the pest."

(In fact VX's predecessor was developed and briefly marketed as agricultural insecticide and turned out to be too effective.)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a penis, and mastered spraying liquids without getting any on me a long time ago and practice it daily. If bug killer being poison is new to you then you will lose your mind when find out about Off and other bug sprays.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wear a lovely long sleeve shirt and take a shower after spraying (Wormil's dick).

I ordered a giant fuckoff built-in shelf for our library. A real shelf that can hold heavy books and won't fall over in an earthquake. https://www.daiken.jp/newproducts/fitshelf/

VVV tire fire

peanut fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 25, 2016

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Shifting the pest chat to a mammalian focus, anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of ground hogs (or maybe they're moles)?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shoot 'em.

If you're in the city and can't shoot them, call animal control and get some live traps.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Fill up the burrows with a mix of oxygen and propane. Ignite it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cithen posted:

Shifting the pest chat to a mammalian focus, anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of ground hogs (or maybe they're moles)?

VX, you're not a signatory to to "no nerve gas" treaty.

Liquid Communism posted:

Shoot 'em.

If you're in the city and can't shoot them, call animal control and get some live traps.
Or that.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Fill up the burrows with a mix of oxygen and propane. Ignite it.
Or that, if you're outside city limits.

If in town and can't use the above methods? Get a dachshund. Lil' fucker'll dig up your yard worse than the gophers, but they'll beat the airgun pellet to gently caress up the gopher.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I just moved to the country from the city, so I'm not used to having weaponized means of varmint population control.

How much will the propane option hurt my lawn?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cithen posted:

You don't have to ignite the propane although I don't know how much it takes to suffocate moles.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

wormil posted:

You don't have to ignite the propane although I don't know how much it takes to suffocate moles.

Although you, the schadenfreude thread, and the Osha thread are missing out if you don't.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah I got bunch of mismatched flooring boards for free I'm gonna make some (weak) shelves under the stairs n stuff.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

wormil posted:

On my grandad's farm we ran a hose from the exhaust of an old diesel tractor and let it idl for an hour or so. It seemed to work.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Cithen posted:

I just moved to the country from the city, so I'm not used to having weaponized means of varmint population control.

This much.

https://youtu.be/xDEira01c0Q

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The old kitchen is reinstalled (*´ω`*) Those niches in the wall will have shallow shelves for thermoses, wine and kawaii things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That rules.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

That seems quite satisfying.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I hope this is the right spot: Fence Chat For Dummies, does anyone have a good quickish method of getting the old 4x4 out of the ground? I am almost positive that the old posts (20 years old) are not cemented. A co-worker said using car jacks on the 4x4's can get them to come out but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dig it out, or use any sort of HighLift jack / machine capable of lifting upwards to pull the post out.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I hope this is the right spot: Fence Chat For Dummies, does anyone have a good quickish method of getting the old 4x4 out of the ground? I am almost positive that the old posts (20 years old) are not cemented. A co-worker said using car jacks on the 4x4's can get them to come out but I wanted to get a second opinion.

I just pulled some old posts out of 30 inches of clay. I dug until I could wiggle a 1/2 inch gap, then filled the gap with water. One more wiggle and they came right out.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Battered Cankles posted:

I just pulled some old posts out of 30 inches of clay. I dug until I could wiggle a 1/2 inch gap, then filled the gap with water. One more wiggle and they came right out.

I tried the digging approach on 30 ft of fencing and it took far to long with my soil type and the 3 foot hole they were in. I have another 50 posts i have to pull and would like to get it down to like 30 minutes to pull and auger a new hole, so hand digging will be a last resort. I am going to try the double car jack method this weekend on a test post and see how it works. Will report back with results.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I tried the digging approach on 30 ft of fencing and it took far to long with my soil type and the 3 foot hole they were in. I have another 50 posts i have to pull and would like to get it down to like 30 minutes to pull and auger a new hole, so hand digging will be a last resort. I am going to try the double car jack method this weekend on a test post and see how it works. Will report back with results.

You're gonna need a jack like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch-3-1-2-half-ton-farm-jack-6530.html and a length of chain. Whatever jack you have in your car probably won't cut it.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
I haven't tried with a fence post, but if you have a truck and chain and can get an old wheel (we had a tire shop give us one that was bent up and they were tossing) I wonder if this would work. This was great for pulling posts for clothes line in my yard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ouMDZeMC4

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Wiggle the post around until it is as loose as you can get it. Nail an 8' 2x4 to the post. Lift the post out using the long end of the 2x4 for leverage. I find about 3' from the end of the 2x4 and as low to the ground on the post as you can comfortably get works best. Post should be out in a minute or two tops. Use a nice fat nail since all the force goes through it. Have a friend wiggle the post while you lift for best results.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

You're gonna need a jack like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch-3-1-2-half-ton-farm-jack-6530.html and a length of chain. Whatever jack you have in your car probably won't cut it.

I've had success in the past by drilling a 25mm hole through the post, wedging a metal pipe through it, and using my trolley jack hard up against the post. Easy once you're started.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I know this isn't particularly helpful, but borrow or buy a star picker puller, and use a circular saw (or angle grinder) to cut a notch in the post to fit the tooth.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NoSpoon posted:

I've had success in the past by drilling a 25mm hole through the post, wedging a metal pipe through it, and using my trolley jack hard up against the post. Easy once you're started.

Yeah, I've pulled a few by drilling through the post, running a pipe through it, then hitting it with a bottle jack.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I devised a contraption to pull posts when I was rebuilding my deck and had to yank a ton of 4x4s and 6x6s out of giant mounds of cement from clay soil.

The best way from what I was researching was to use a hi-lift jack, like ones used for off-roading, that was linked earlier. If you have a lot to pull, it would be worth it to drop the $60 and have the right tool.

I didn't want to spend the money and used materials I had lying around and essentially created a laminated 2x10 beam with lag bolt that I hooked a come-along to. I would set this on a set of saw horses (with the feet placed on boards to distribute the load on soil), and then would drive a lag bolt into the post. It was then just winching the come-along and pulling the post and cement out. It was kinda janky but worked.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Use this. I just took ~30 4x4 and a couple 6x6 posts out of my yard to replace with new ones, and this method is the best way to do it. Wrap the chain tight around the post, jack up until you're under the chain, jack higher until it's out. Easy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Last day of construction before inspection :3 I'm hella excited for life with ceiling fans again.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

/\/\/\ No regrets hail Satan

This sweet entryway light was $10 bucks in the floor model sale bin, including three Panasonic CFL bulbs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They work better on the ceiling :colbert: And that's the ugliest light fitting I've ever seen.

Congrats though. When's it due to be finished?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's not ugly, it's "striking" and a "mood-setter."
Big cleaning tomorrow, inspection next week, move in... September 11th?!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

peanut posted:

It's not ugly, it's "striking" and a "mood-setter."
Big cleaning tomorrow, inspection next week, move in... September 11th?!

:911:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have £1 paper Ikea light shades, don't take my design tips seriously.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Inspection passed! We can start moving stuff in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Toto's latest and greatest bath technology featuring soft, warm and quick-drying shower floor.